Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

PlainJane

Unfortunately, my head is way too big to chop my length off now :lol: but congrats to everyone's recent BCs. They look great and give me something to look forward to.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Looks like I need to change my avatar! I guess I'm not an official member of this Thread anymore, but of course, I'm going to come in anyway and continue to follow you all on your journeys. After 13 months, I decide to do my BC today because it was wash day and I just didn't want to pamper my relaxed hair, (that I was going to end up chopping off anyway), anymore. I didn't want to do it anymore!

I'm feeling truly organic!

Congrats on going all natural!

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

naija24

Sigh bf was irritated I decided to move my BC to this weekend after saying that it was gonna be in March. Hopefully things work out on Saturday.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
i seriously feel like big chopping this weekend. where should i get my big chop done? I found a few places but I dont' think I should pay more than $100 for a haircut. No way. I was thinking like a supercuts or hair cuttery. Where did yall do your big chop? I am not confident enough to do it by myself.

I'd like to pay like 30 bucks. LOL

The last time I paid to get my hair done was in July for my last relaxer and even then it was my sister's family discount. I easily justified paying $125 for my BC to my DH...

.."I could go back to getting my hair done bi-monthly if this is a problem for you", Lol.

naija24

The last time I paid to get my hair done was in July for my last relaxer and even then it was my sister's family discount. I easily justified paying $125 for my BC to my DH... .."I could go back to getting my hair done bi-monthly if this is a problem for you", Lol. Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

My bf isn't happy about my haircut what so ever. The only thing making him not go crazy is that 1) my hair will be long enough to weave up I REALLY don't like it and 2) I'll straighten it for special occasions.

naija24

Everyone is BCing. I'm way too chicken to cut my hair. I'll be here at least another 1.5 years. Probably 2.5 years. I can't wait to see pictures KiWiStyle naija24

GettingKinky I think it's because if you really want to be natural right NOW, why wait? I planned to be a long term transitioner but I thought "what for? For my bf who won't be happy regardless or my coworkers who may say something ignorant?"

God forbid a woman cuts her hair. It's ridiculous. But I've been through worse and like I've seen the last 4 times I've big chopped, it always grows back.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
KiWiStyle how many months have you transitioned?

I'm six months post today with 2.5-3.5" a natural hair.

I hope your hair grows on him soon. I 40 and married so I don't care, Lol...plus my DH encouraged natural hair. We agreed never to relax DD's hair, he thinks relaxer chemicals is what makes us women crazy, lbvs.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Everyone is BCing. I'm way too chicken to cut my hair. I'll be here at least another 1.5 years. Probably 2.5 years.

I can't wait to see pictures KiWiStyle naija24

GettingKinky my hair was being texlaxed for a few years and over the last year or so my hair in the back has been breaking off in droves, it looks like a cats been chewing on it. I had a 2 inch patch in the center-back with some some parts hiting almost BSL. The front and sides were really long. I just got fed up because I kept having to cut my hair to Even it out so I said forget it, no more chemicals and wanted to start from scratch.

naija24

I'm six months post today with 2.5-3.5" a natural hair.

I hope your hair grows on him soon. I 40 and married so I don't care, Lol...plus my DH encouraged natural hair. We agreed never to relax DD's hair, he thinks relaxer chemicals is what makes us women crazy, lbvs.

I hope it does as well. I think he just never dated a woman with my hair texture. or thinks that its okay for women to wear weave pretty much forever. whatever. My appointment is scheduled. He knows. He made a huge fuss that I changed the date from March to tomorrow but oh well. I'm actually really excited.

He'll be happy when he sees that I'm closer to APL after a few months. I'm already neck length in the back.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I hope it does as well. I think he just never dated a woman with my hair texture. or thinks that its okay for women to wear weave pretty much forever. whatever. My appointment is scheduled. He knows. He made a huge fuss that I changed the date from March to tomorrow but oh well. I'm actually really excited.

He'll be happy when he sees that I'm closer to APL after a few months. I'm already neck length in the back.

I'm happy for you, its an exciting time! Don't let anyone take that joy from you. Last night I actually got giddy when I stopped for a moment to think that in less than 24 hours I will be all natural for the first time in almost 30 years and I finally get to see my texture instead of guessing which by the way, I still don't know, Lol. I can't wait to see pics if you're planning to share!! naija24

Cattypus1

All loced up...
niaja24 and KiWiStyle I'm married, like Kiwi and like Kiwi I haven't seen my natural hair for more than 30 years. I had no idea what my hair would look like and more importantly, my DH had NEVER seen my natural hair. He has been so supportive even though I know sometimes my hair looks crazy. It's not for lack of trying but I'm trying to unlearn what it has taken me 30+ years to learn. Don't be discouraged, you can do it... it's just hair! Here is a pic of me pre and post BC:

image-1311180073.jpg

Wasn't the hair I've always dreamed of but it is a full head of hair and I'm good with that.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
niaja24 and KiWiStyle I'm married, like Kiwi and like Kiwi I haven't seen my natural hair for more than 30 years. I had no idea what my hair would look like and more importantly, my DH had NEVER seen my natural hair. He has been so supportive even though I know sometimes my hair looks crazy. It's not for lack of trying but I'm trying to unlearn what it has taken me 30+ years to learn. Don't be discouraged, you can do it... it's just hair! Here is a pic of me pre and post BC: Wasn't the hair I've always dreamed of but it is a full head of hair and I'm good with that.
ITA I didn't know what I what my hair was going to look like once I chopped. I can say I would have been happy with any texture to tell you the truth. I have enjoyed learning what my hair can do. I enjoy doing my hair now. When I was permed I didn't do my own hair my skill set only consisted of wrapping my hair up at night for bed and taking it down. I never washed or permed it myself. I had no desire to learn either. My natural hair is different I'm trying to learn how to do everything. I would have never thought I would be wetting my hair everyday and styling it everyday. I permed hair intimidated me my natural doesn't. So good luck with your bc's this weekend I can't wait to see them.

sharifeh

I can't wait to see everyone's hair. I have to say this journey is a lot more emotionally taxing than I ever thought. Or maybe I'm just too attached to my hair I dunno

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Y'all are good...it didn't even occur to me to talk to my DH about my transition. I just did it. He just watched. Never said a word about it.

Wigs...weaves.... The bun I practically lived in for 2 and half years ....He never even asked me about my hair and it didn't occur to me to say anything to him.

I guess I should see that as a good thing. I feel for ladies who get so much stress from their men. That must be a hard thing to deal with while you are trying to figure out your way with being natural and deciding what you really want.

I'm sending hugs to each of you. I can't imagine dealing with that type of stress AND single strand knots AND demarcation lines...

Side note: mahogany curls on you tube has a chat with her husband and his take on the natural hair movement from man's perspective. Check it and see if perhaps you would like to share it with your guys. Maybe hearing from a male perspective will help.

PlainJane

I can't wait to see everyone's hair. I have to say this journey is a lot more emotionally taxing than I ever thought. Or maybe I'm just too attached to my hair I dunno
I agree. I'm way too attached to my hair. I don't have long hair by lhcf standards but I do not feel cute/feminine whatsoever without my hair. I guess that's something I have to eventually get over.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
niaja24 and KiWiStyle I'm married, like Kiwi and like Kiwi I haven't seen my natural hair for more than 30 years. I had no idea what my hair would look like and more importantly, my DH had NEVER seen my natural hair. He has been so supportive even though I know sometimes my hair looks crazy. It's not for lack of trying but I'm trying to unlearn what it has taken me 30+ years to learn. Don't be discouraged, you can do it... it's just hair! Here is a pic of me pre and post BC:

Wasn't the hair I've always dreamed of but it is a full head of hair and I'm good with that.

I love your words of wisdom, it really is just hair but most of us get there sooner than later. For me it was later, Lol. You and your hair are beautiful! I'm thankful my husband is freakishly supportive too!

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I agree. I'm way too attached to my hair. I don't have long hair by lhcf standards but I do not feel cute/feminine whatsoever without my hair. I guess that's something I have to eventually get over.

I don't know if its that you're way too attached to your hair, I think you just prefer long hair. There is absolutely nothing wrong with transitioning long term to maintain your length. Everything isn't for everybody. I swore I wouldn't attempt to go natural until I was at least 50...I'm 40. If you decide to continue your journey long term, short term or completely abort the mission and relax again, its really OK.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Thank you all for the complimemts, it really does help build my confidence. Group Hug!