Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2015/2016

Babygrowth

I think I have heat damaged ends :-( I'm not cutting tho just maintaining because they're not giving me any trouble I just notice my ends look bone straight and thinner when I'm texlaxed :perplexed:

greenandchic

Last night I DC/prepooed, shampooed, did protein treatment (Aphrogee 2 minute) and set my hair in a cornroll out. I used grape seed oil on the length of my hair and used my homemade shea butter pomade on the ends before curling them with a perm rod.

faithVA

Wash day so I'm clippings a lot of splits. It's getting much better. I think by the end of January I will have taken care of all the damage and will be able to enjoy shorter wash days.

I haven't decided whether I will dust this month or not. I will decide when I do my curlformers set next weekend.

toaster

About to take my end of year length check picture, then I'll moisturize and seal with shea butter. Will wash tomorrow night.

I'm getting my hair straightened on the 30th and I'm nervous. This is my first time straightening my hair after wearing my hair "out" as opposed to always in a bun. I'm sure my ends are fine, but it's nerve wracking all the same.

claud-uk

Flying home tonight so tomorrow I'm going to check for splits and trim as necessary, then do a pre-poo, cowash and DC, M&S. I'm going to start a journal of how often I trim, and will get a regi together for PS (box braids with extension hair, excellent retention) and when I'm not PS. I think I'll start doing bunned mini twists for my non PS. Hopefully the plan for the new year will be 6 weeks PS, 2 weeks non PS.

I would really love to start using mud/clay to wash and DC with honey and oils, and whipping up my own butters, so will start getting stuff together for this by the end of December. Almost 3 years in and I have no idea of my porosity and what my hair likes/dislikes. Looking forward to getting a regi down and achieving some goals in 2015.

maxineshaw

So I got my pressing comb in the mail (thanks Mom!). I "test pressed" a small section of my hair in the front and saw just how bad my hair has gotten. I am so tempted to just cut and maintain, but I won't do that. I am tired of feeling like I have no progress. So, I will moisturize, seal, and *slowly* trim my ends.

Earlier this week I moisturized my hair with Hawaiian Silky and sealed with Blue Magic Coconut Oil. My hair felt great, not greasy or oily. It took such a long time to dry though, and I am concerned about reapplication of the moisturizer. After about three days I needed to reapply, but I didn't. It seemed odd to me to be placing more moisturizer over hair grease. I mean...what would be the point? Did my hair feel that way because the grease had rubbed off over something?

I am going to continue with this moisture/seal duo, but this week I will experiment with reapplication just to see how it feels. Don't know how I'll reapply it with my hair in twists.

Off to search and destroy my ends.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
DC'ing my hair right now. After all that is said and done I will do the LCO method on my hair. I will come back to let you gals know what I will be using.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I'm doing a henna treatment which reinforces my ends.

When I'm ready to style, I'll attempt a flat twist up do using QB products. I need my hair up off of my sweaters to protect my ends.

I skipped dusting this Winter solstice, because I didn't need it, after evaluating my ends.

claud-uk

I made a start on my hair today; I managed to comb through/detangle then do a good S&D on the right side and heavily oil with EVOO before adding ORS DC. Didn't fancy doing the left side after that due to the time it took and the amount of breakage and shed hairs, so I simply parted the left side with my fingers in 5 sections, added the ORS to each section (no combing/detangling or S&D). Sealed my whole head with sunflower oil, put saran wrap and turbie then satin scarf. Sleeping with this in tonight. At least I will be able to compare shed/breakage on the detangled side v the non-detangled side when I comb through in the shower tomorrow. If I lose less or the same amount of hair from the left side I will skip pre-detangling in the future, and just comb through in the shower when washing out my prepoo or conditioner. Anything to cut down wash day or any unnecessary steps.

ETA: I added ACV to the conditioner before applying, it sunk in really nicely. As I don't know what my porosity is the ACV will help if it's med-high, and the overnight DC'ing will help if it's med-low... maybe. I'm fairly sure my hair isn't low-po, it's just too coarse/wiry and non-silky.

Last edited:

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I have not washed my hair in over a week! I gotta get it together!

Same here. I always lay out my products for the day I will wash which was supposed to be today but I woke up with a migraine so that was a no go. I've been rocking celie's under my scarf. I think I'll wash on Christmas morning or next weekend.

Evolving78

Same here. I always lay out my products for the day I will wash which was supposed to be today but I woke up with a migraine so that was a no go. I've been rocking celie's under my scarf. I think I'll wash on Christmas morning or next weekend.
I'm about to do it now.

faithVA

I did a curlformer set on dry hair. My ends were much better than the beginning of the year but they needed dusting. I have a few rough spots still in the back but the front is doing well.

IMG_20141221_183337.jpg

MzOptimistic

Heyyy all. I cowashed today with As I Am Coconut Cowash, Air Dried Then Sealed The Length Of My Hair With Orgx Nourishing Coconut Milk Anti Breakage Serum And Healthy Protective Ends Creme Then Baggied My Ponytail Overnight. My Hair Feels So Soft And Moisturized. It Was Actually Still Soft And Moisturized From My Wash Last Weekend.

PlainJane

I gave into heat this weekend so I'm trying to take it easy with my hair. I plan to treat myself to a silk scarf but I'm just too cheap smh.

SpiritJunkie

My natural hair got treated very well this weekend. Shampoo,Hardcore Aphogee treatment, deep conditioned, blow dried & flat ironed. Feels real good right now. Super soft and strong. I'm going to give my wig a break for the next fews days to enjoy this..

meka72

I washed and conditioned my hair today. I M&S'ed with S-curl, ST kink drink, Oyin hair dew, Claudie's Montego Bay oil and Oyin burnt sugar pomade. I did an extra layer on my ends.

Dee Raven

I cowashed for the first time in a while yesterday. I liked it and I think I will start doing it once a week to refresh my wash n go. I did notice some breakage from the crown again. I didn't ever trim that area because it was hard to identify which areas needed the trim. But when I wash my hair, I believe it will be on Tuesday I'm going to have to take the time to do it.

I haven't noticed any difference with the split end serum but I'm still using it during the styling process.

Evolving78

I had a really good wash day! I dried my hair under the dryer again too. A lovely friend gave me some PM super skinny serum! I haven't used that in awhile. My hair felt very nice using it and it dried quicker without that dry rough feeling. I will cornrow my hair back up in the morning. My ends look pretty good.

Leo24Rule

My hair has been neglected and so disgusting, but I will wash today b/c it is my company dinner Christmas party tonight :)

Tonto

How do we do to get luscious healthy ends though? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question but I was just wondering...

faithVA

How do we do to get luscious healthy ends though? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question but I was just wondering...

Part of it varies based on why your ends are unhealthy. There won't be a one size fits all.

Some people just need to have a regular dusting/trim session.

Some need to up their moisture or protein or both.

Other ways
1. Be gentle when detangling.
2. Start finger detangling.
3. Do the LOC method
4. Seal the ends.
5. Wash or cowash more often
6. Keep them tucked away.

So what particular problems are you having Tonto?

Last edited:

claud-uk

Completed my wash day today; I rinsed out the ORS Replenenishing/oil prepoo mix and finger-detangled each twisted section of hair before washing it with diluted neutrLab Cocoa Curl Cleansing Con, and twisted each section back before moving onto the next. I then washed each twist again undiluted, but didn't untwist to do so.

Then I mixed equal parts HB Argan Con, more ORS and sunflower oil, applied to the twists and left on for about 10 minutes before rinsing with lukewarm water. Undid the twists on each half of my head and combed through, pics attached.

FIRST PHOTO:

LHS of the comb is the un-predetangled hair lost through the wash process. RHS is slightly less hair lost through the wash process from the side that I did detangle/comb through before washing.

SECOND PHOTO:

As above but also includes the hair lost from detangling/combing the right side of my hair BEFORE the wash process.

From now on I will only detangle/comb during washing, I lost unnecessary hair from the right side doing it beforehand. First lesson of many.

Attachments

• 20141222_190456.jpg
    20141222_190456.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 16
  • 20141222_190528.jpg
    20141222_190528.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

claud-uk

After washing my hair felt so soft and smooth, better than it has in a long time. I left my turbie on for 30 mins before applying one layer of Elasta Mango Butter LI, then a second layer which I mixed with WGO/Almond oil.

Will seal my ends before bed with castor oil, and tomorrow when hair is fully dry I will do a S&D on the left side of my head. May then follow up with a quarter inch trim all over to start the new year with fresh ends.

HHG!

claud-uk

Did a S&D on the left side of head tonight but didn't trim, think I'll save that for when I straighten over Christmas. M&S with Elasta QP and almond oil.

Will double-seal my ends with castor oil now, and sleep with a plastic bag/scarf on for extra moisture.