How do you clean a pressing comb?

tippy75

My pressing comb has a build up of all of this black gunk that I can visibly see in between its teeth. Does any one know how to clean it? Some one had once told me to use sand paper, but from what I can see that only cleans the outer portion of the comb. ANy suggestions?

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Just let it soak for a while in a solution of your choice. I always clean my hair tools with hot water and bleach in a sink. I would have suggested taking a paper towel and going in between each tooth,but that could take forever.

curd83rd

What I do is heat the comb on the stove. When it's piping hot, I then dip it in a jar of relaxer (I use Bantu super strength). You should to do this outside because this process generates lots of smoke.

The buildup on the pressing comb will melt away. You then run the comb under hot water to remove any relaxer left.

I then take an old nail brush or tooth brush to clean between the teeth.

Finally dry it off with a paper towel and you've got a fresh pressing comb.

I can usually get three to four cleanings from one jar of relaxer.

Hope this helps.

Lorraine

This may be some ghetto technique a friend gave me but oven cleaner left on for about an hour will take the burn marks off of curling irons and pressing combs. Just be sure to wipe off completely when done.

jasmine

i get the pressing comb nice clean and shining by scrubbing it with steel wool and a little shampoo. works great and the black gunk comes right off.

Madison

[ QUOTE ]
LorraineG said:
This may be some ghetto technique a friend gave me but oven cleaner left on for about an hour will take the burn marks off of curling irons and pressing combs. Just be sure to wipe off completely when done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Far from ghetto.
I use oven cleaner for cleaning just about everything in my house. It works wonders in the bathroom

aameera83

you can either stick it in a lye relazer or use sand paper to buff off the gunk and stick it in a container of baking soda and water either choice should do the trick