What is the difference between a leave in conditioner and a moisturizer?

Ogoma

I use the same products as my leave-in right after washing and my moisturizer, during the week, between washes. I like Oyin Hair Dew and DB Transitioning Creme. I don't want to have too many things in my rotation.

I do the LOC(B) with water, oil, and either of the two mentioned above. I use a non-water based butter/cream on my ends in the winter.

Chicoro, who created and/or first popularized this method, uses petroleum jelly as her "cream" in the LOC method. Her video on it is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRwbIaDwgfs

virtuenow

"sparkle25;19460411" said:
@virtuenow what is your opinion of hair milks?
It depends on which category it falls into. Is it a liquid (like actual milk) that can be spritzed? Then it goes in the liquid category (remember, water/liquid = moisture). Is it a cream or lotion consistency? If so, it falls into the cream category (cream = semi-sealant/semi moisturizing).

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
sparkle25, you are not a fan of oils if IIRC so I'm unsure if the variations of LOC, LCO, LCOB, LOCB, etc etc will appeal to you. You might have to find or start a thread where ladies discuss how to retain moisture without the use of oils, butters, etc. The majority (although I could be wrong) of us seem to seal moisture in but I do know there are some who don't. I've seen them mention not sealing here and there but I don't recall the threads.

sparkle25

Thanks so much divachyk. I wish I could use all these beautiful butters and oils but my hair does not like it. I think a lot of ladies who are similar to me simply use a product that is moisturizing enough so they do not have to seal ( and I have not found a product that does this yet but have like 8 things coming lol). Also a lot of ladies are using avacado gel and juice to seal! I have a custom made spray coming with quinoa added to attempt this. Off to read your link .... You're amazing xxx

NefertariBlu

Personally, I don't use leave-ins. My hair doesn't dry well after washing.They leave my hair dry and hard.

My hair has to be 80%-90% dry before I put any products on it. I have found putting anything on my hair straight after it's washed is a no no for me. I use the LCO method for the best results.For some reason doing it the other way round never gave me good results. I mainly use Taliah Waajid's protective mist bodifyer (L) Shea Moisture deep treatment masque or conditioner (Cream/butter) then jbco (O)as my sealant. Works for me.

Good thread sparkle25 I really didn't know the difference between the two, so just went for the easy option of just using moisturizers and sealants.

Amarilles

Butters/oils/some creams don't have water so they are all sealants. Everything with water as the first ingredient (whether marketed as a leave-in, moisturizer, DC, hair milk, lotion, condish) will provide moisture to the hair. I think I may be the only one but I use all these interchangeably. For example, A DC's only req is to have ingredients that penetrate through the cuticles into the shaft. There are so many moisturizers/leave-ins/younameits that have these ingredients but aren't labeled as a DC. Others are labeled as DCs and don't have not one penetrating ingredient. It's just marketing.

It's very good to familiarize yourself more with ingredients so you know how a product is supposed to work and do, instead of depending on the company to market it for you. I remember as a newbie buying a condish, a moisturizer, a DC, a hair lotion, a spritz and a sealant. I very quickly realized that all except the sealant did pretty much the same thing to my strands. It's more telling to read the back of the product instead of the front, in my opinion.

sparkle25

Amarilles I pretty much considered anything with water as the first ingredient a leave in/moisturizer. Any oil, butter or cream that doesn't have water, I considered it a sealant. I dont really pay attention to what companies advertise their products as. Co washing products or cream cleansers, i consider all rinse out conditioners unless they have a cleaning agent. I do see what girls mean though when they say they consider moistirizers thicker and creamier than leave ins. Still to me, if it had water first it was a leave in. A leave in to me was a moisturizer lol.

I am curious about what you say concerning DC's. What are some of these ingredients you speak of that penetrate the hair? I know of the oils that do this, the hydrolyzed proteins, but I don't know much about penetrating ingredients that have names I can't pronounce. For the last 5 years I have used the same DC ( Jessicurl weekly deep treatment) because it works. But now I am dabbling in other DCs and it would be helpful to me to know what to look for other than the oils that I know that penentrate the hair shaft.

Last edited:

Amarilles

Aside from water, hydrolyzed protein penetrates, as does coconut oil, panthenol, caffeine, certain small lipids. Hair that is relaxed or dyed penetrates more ingredients though. It also depends on the amount of time the ingredients are left in the hair. I don't DC in the conventional way (by applying product, applying heat, rinsing off) I just leave the product in my hair and don't worry about the time. So in essence, if my leave-in has penetrating ingredients it's also my DC.

This is a good link showing what ingredients penetrate on what kind of hair, and how long one must leave it for it to do so.

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/10/deep-conditioning-what-ingredients-in.html

divachyk

sparkle25, did you mean aloe or avocado gel and use? Understanding ingredients is a must but is sometimes so hard to do -- I still struggle with the long named ingredients.

When I first started my HHJ, many suggested products with hydrolyzed wheat protein as they considered it a moisturizing protein. Not for my hair -- it strengthens. Following the advice of others led to several protein overload situations.

Also factor porosity - what works for one may not work for another based on porosity. I have low porosity hair, thus I avoid aloe and protein when/where possible.

This HHJ is so complex at times.

sparkle25

divachyk I meant aloe. And I agree with the porosity thing. I think porosity is the reason why some women can use oils and butters and don't find them greasy. I think girls with normal or low porosity are picky about oils and butters if they can use them at all. Natural hair is hard until you figure out what your hair likes and needs. After 5 years I am still trying to do that, but I am getting closer because I am learning so much thanks to you ladies :)

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
IMHO, a conditioner is meant to coat the hair for easier detangling. A leave in conditioner to me is just a conditioner that has ingredients, which are mild enough that they can be left on long term, like BTMS. That is why some conditioners state that they can also be used as a leave in.

A leave in can be a moisturizer, but it has to be moisturizing. Thus, it needs to have water as either the 1st or 2nd ingredient. I've seen some "moisturizers" with avj instead of water, but I can't speak to whether those are moisturizing because my hair doesn't like avj. Some people says it moisturizes. Not me.

You really have to look at ingredients and how the product works for you, rather than relying on manufacturer labels.

For example, I can't use Tresemme Naturals as a leave-in because it gave me headaches, so the ingredients are not mild enough for me to leave in. I can't use PBN hair milk or lotion as a leave-in because neither detangle my hair, though one is marketed as a leave-in. I love both PBNs as moisturizers. I can use Oyin Hair Dew as a leave-in and moisturizer because it detangles and has water as the first ingredient.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
[USER=292332]faithVA[/USER];19466245 said:
Me no likey either :nono: :lol: If divachyk's hair loves it mine usually doesn't not.

I think my hair is more similar to yours. Maybe we are hair siblings :)

sparkle25

I hate oils and butters too faith. It makes it really difficult to seal because I can't. I need to find something that doesn't need to be sealed. What have you used faithVA

faithVA

[USER said:
sparkle25;19481535[/USER]]I hate oils and butters too faith. It makes it really difficult to seal because I can't. I need to find something that doesn't need to be sealed. What have you used faithVA

I am still working on it. I've yet to find a winning combination. The closest thing I have found is Qhemet Burdock Root. Tonight I used DAX Bergamot and I think I may like it, but its too early to say.

I am using hazelnut oil now and it isn't greasy but I can't say it does anything wonderful either.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

sparkle25

faithVA I love that burdock root stuff. It really did keep my hair moisturized for days. I didn't like the oily feeling when I touched my hair though. It's really a shame :( You don't find it greasy???

virtuenow

@faithVA I love that burdock root stuff. It really did keep my hair moisturized for days. I didn't like the oily feeling when I touched my hair though. It's really a shame :( You don't find it greasy???

Why not use less of the product then? I use products that could be oily, but just a drop (or pea size) goes a long way. Or you can mix in some water [in your hand] to help it spread thinly.

sparkle25

virtuenow I was thinking of trying it again and seriously using the tiniest drop ever per section. Because after 5 years that really is the only thing that has kept my hair moisturized.

faithVA

virtuenow I was thinking of trying it again and seriously using the tiniest drop ever per section. Because after 5 years that really is the only thing that has kept my hair moisturized.

It is a bit greasy even when I use less. But as virtuenow said you can add some water to help. I also find that if I spritz with water after applying it and then use a styler it helps reduce the greasy feeling.

jennwantslonghurr

I'm not natural but my relaxed hair sure still acts natural. I think the question was answered already. So here is my experience: I use qb aohc as a leave in instead of a moisturizer right after washing while my hair is damp and then set my hair in a style if not it will get a little crunchy... just a little dollop will do. The next day I use qb ctdg as a moisturizer it's lighter and if I add more later in the week it doesn't create build up. Is this normal? Is the water the liquid, aohc the cream/oil, and ctdg the butter even though it's marketed as a conditioner? Am I following the loc/b method? Don't mean to be so long but new and confused. Tia

sparkle25

^^^^ divachyk can probably answer your question for you. I have no idea because the LCO or loc does not work of for because I can't use oils.

faithVA its good to know I'm not just a greasy/oily hater. It is greasy! Thanks so much. I have so many products coming now so I'm going to experiement and if I find anything ill let you know. Your hair seems to be a bit like mine from the posts of yours I have seen. I was looking up reviews on HQS and everything you wrote I could have wrote myself. Does your hair like protein? I forgot.

faithVA

[USER said:
sparkle25;19487271[/USER]]^^^^ divachyk can probably answer your question for you. I have no idea because the LCO or loc does not work of for because I can't use oils.

faithVA its good to know I'm not just a greasy/oily hater. It is greasy! Thanks so much. I have so many products coming now so I'm going to experiement and if I find anything ill let you know. Your hair seems to be a bit like mine from the posts of yours I have seen. I was looking up reviews on HQS and everything you wrote I could have wrote myself. Does your hair like protein? I forgot.

Is HQS, Hydroquench?

The Qhemet BRBC feels greasier due to the high levels of glycerin in it. My hair likes glycerin but not in diluted amounts. I think that is the key for my hair period. It likes things but in smaller amounts than a normal porosity head. So I am trying to learn to use water to dilute things.

My hair likes keratin reconstructors in moderation but it is because I color my hair. Giovanni Nutrafix seems to work well with my hair. Too much protein and my ends dry out like crazy, which is the problem I seem to be facing now.

divachyk

I'm not natural but my relaxed hair sure still acts natural. I think the question was answered already. So here is my experience: I use qb aohc as a leave in instead of a moisturizer right after washing while my hair is damp and then set my hair in a style if not it will get a little crunchy... just a little dollop will do. The next day I use qb ctdg as a moisturizer it's lighter and if I add more later in the week it doesn't create build up. Is this normal? Is the water the liquid, aohc the cream/oil, and ctdg the butter even though it's marketed as a conditioner? Am I following the loc/b method? Don't mean to be so long but new and confused. Tia

jennwantslonghurr
If it's not causing buildup, that's a good thing. Are you concerned about buildup?

The LOC/B can be what you make it based on your hair likes/loves. Really no right or wrong.
L - plain water or water based product
O - plain oil or oil based product
C - creamy product. Mine are water based.
B - buttery product. Mine are oil based.

Last edited:

jennwantslonghurr

divachyk, At times yes. I'm stilI experimenting so I guess I'm just paranoid of build up. Once its there even a little I have to wash and try again. If I had it my way I would wash 2 times a week. Not that it's dry anymore but because the way it feels if that makes since.

My hair has improved so much especially in the last 6 months. Ive been reading through the forums.

I am starting to understand my hair much better. Being relaxed I need more moisture but having low porosity doesn't allow the moisture to sink in all the time -still learning. When I get it right I have to eventually balance the moisture after awhile but my hair is pretty coarse therefore protein sensitive.

Don't be surprised if I start to hair stalk you... for education purposes :)