Hydrating New Growth (Relaxed Hair)

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I use to struggle with ng issues which would make me end my stretch. It took many months of trial and error but a few things that helped me along the way (in no particular order) --

-applying moisturizer to my ng in a deliberate fashion like a relaxer TU
-finger combing to remove shed hairs so that moisture can penetrate ng
-spritz ng with water before applying moisturizer
-cowashing

I work in 4 quadrants. I finger comb to remove shed hairs. This also separates the hair so that I can really get into the ng and moisturize really good. Plus, it removes shed hairs that might absorb moisturizer unnecessarily. No need to keep shed hairs and have it absorb my moisturizer.

I apply moisturizer throughout one quadrant to both the ng and the length. If my ng is really dry, I will sprtiz my ng with water first and then apply moisturizer. I then massage my roots to distribute product. My finger motions mimic that of scalp massaging to rub in the product. I seal, two strand twist and then move to the next quadrant of hair.

In hotter months, I like using glycerin based products instead of water. I tend to use Scurl more than any other glycerin product.

I also like DB Transitioning Cream to hydrate the ng. Good stuff.

How do you hydrate your ng?

xu93texas

I'm going to incorporate some of these tips into my regimen. I really like the idea of apply moisturizer with a relaxer brush. I already do this with my DC. I've never thought about it with moisturizer to ng. I do spritz my ng with a moisturizer on a regular basis.

I usually co-wash more and I make sure to section hair into 4 sections and finger detangle before proceeding with wash. My hair usually has some types of oils (pre-poo) or conditioner on it to make it easier.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Co-washing all the way up until my relaxer day is a life saver. I eliminate my shampoo after about 8 to 10 weeks post relaxer. Shampoo does nothing for my ng but strip it clean and makes it very unmanageable. Good thread!

afroette

I use to struggle with ng issues which would make me end my stretch. It took many months of trial and error but a few things that helped me along the way (in no particular order) --

-applying moisturizer to my ng in a deliberate fashion like a relaxer TU
-finger combing to remove shed hairs so that moisture can penetrate ng
-spritz ng with water before applying moisturizer
-cowashing

I work in 4 quadrants. I finger comb to remove shed hairs. This also separates the hair so that I can really get into the ng and moisturize really good. Plus, it removes shed hairs that might absorb moisturizer unnecessarily. No need to keep shed hairs and have it absorb my moisturizer.

I apply moisturizer throughout one quadrant to both the ng and the length. If my ng is really dry, I will sprtiz my ng with water first and then apply moisturizer. I then massage my roots to distribute product. My finger motions mimic that of scalp massaging to rub in the product. I seal, two strand twist and then move to the next quadrant of hair.

In hotter months, I like using glycerin based products instead of water. I tend to use Scurl more than any other glycerin product.

I also like DB Transitioning Cream to hydrate the ng. Good stuff.

How do you hydrate your ng?

I don't have a system yet but I like yours and will adopt. My new growth this time around has been very coiled like my afro of years ago.

afroette

Co-washing all the way up until my relaxer day is a life saver. I eliminate my shampoo after about 8 to 10 weeks post relaxer. Shampoo does nothing for my ng but strip it clean and makes it very unmanageable. Good thread!

I'm also going to try cowashing, especially since I exercise and otherwise sweat like a beast in the heat. But it's so hard for me, being style challenged, to maintain a profession hairdo.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
:grin:My Personal Tricks/Tips:

Cowashing

Spritzing with something Hydrating

Saturating Hair in a Creamy Moisturizer preferably something "balanced" to keep NG and Previous Relaxed Strands Happy

Steaming

JJamiah

I use my DC for about 30 minutes under the dryer but I leave it on for 30 extra minutes. MY hair stays hydrated. :)

D.Lisha

During a regular moisturizing and sealing session I part my hair into four sections. Then I go on to split the sections so that I can spray my moisturizer (S-curl) directly onto my NG and massage it in. I then spray the length of my hair, and seal my oil mix.

On co-wash days,
I overnight pre-poo with my DC mix, then co-wash it out with V05 Moisture Milk. After the wash I towel dry for abt 10min, separate into four parts, add my leavins, detangle and air dry.

On Shampoo day,
I pre-poo with cheapie condish and oil mix overnight. Then I shampoo, followed by another overnight DC. Rinse out condish the next day, towel dry, add leave ins, detangle, and airdry.

My hair LOVES moisture so overnight DC's are right up my alley :)

Sent from my iPod touch using LHCF

Mische

Applying everything directly to the new growth is key.

I make small horizontal sections up my hair in two halves to spritz (SSI Tahitian Vanilla), moisturize (Darcy's Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme) and seal (Coconut/Vatika Frosting) the moisture into my entire hair shaft. During DCs I also make sure I'm applying directly to my root area where the line of demarcation is. This is crucial when applying both my protein reconstructor and my moisture DC. I don't want either my new growth or previously relaxed ends to become off balance.

Using organic coconut oil on dry hair to finger detangle before I hop in the shower helps, too. It helps to loosen slight mats at my root created by shed hairs.

In general, airdrying all the time helps to keep in the moisture I've put into it.

Loving

I like your method divachyk. I was thinking about how I should moisturize my NG last night especially with my underprocessed area.

I have a leave-in mix (leave in conditioner, water and oil) in a spray bottle. Could this work instead of using a moisturizer? Or should I alternate it?

divachyk

I like your method @divachyk. I was thinking about how I should moisturize my NG last night especially with my underprocessed area.

I have a leave-in mix (leave in conditioner, water and oil) in a spray bottle. Could this work instead of using a moisturizer? Or should I alternate it?
Loving, I think your moisture mix will work just fine. IMO, anything will work as long as your targeting your ng and your hair likes the product being used.

sunnieb

Cowashing almost daily helps to keep my ng in check all through my relaxer stretches. I'm heavy-handed, so my ng gets plenty of conditioner with every cowash.

I also use 2 moisturizers everyday - ORS Carrot Oil and Neutrogena Triple Moisture. I make sure to massage them through my scalp 2x a day.

Deep conditioning weekly is a must!

ETA: I also drink about a 100oz of clear water everyday. It's good to hydrate from the inside as well! :yep:

bosswitch

Most of what I do has already been mentioned.

-Doing EVERYTHING in sections (shampoo, cowashing, DC etc)
-Applying DC like a relaxer
-Cowashing frequently
-Moisturizing (I use filtered water) the NG

lovebug10

Applying everything directly to the new growth is key.

I make small horizontal sections up my hair in two halves to spritz (SSI Tahitian Vanilla), moisturize (Darcy's Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme) and seal (Coconut/Vatika Frosting) the moisture into my entire hair shaft. During DCs I also make sure I'm applying directly to my root area where the line of demarcation is. This is crucial when applying both my protein reconstructor and my moisture DC. I don't want either my new growth or previously relaxed ends to become off balance.

Using organic coconut oil on dry hair to finger detangle before I hop in the shower helps, too. It helps to loosen slight mats at my root created by shed hairs.

In general, airdrying all the time helps to keep in the moisture I've put into it.

Mische I actually was debating if I should get SheScentIt Tahitian Vanilla & Coconut along with the moisture mist. Or if I should get the Darcy's Transitioning Creme & The daily leave in conditioner. I think I may purchase the two you got and use them how you explained and see how that works for me. Is there a reason why you mist first with the shescentit & then use the transitioning creme? Also, do you use the transitioning creme only on NG or do you use it on the lengths of your hair? I'm worried that the transitining creme will be too heavy and weigh my hair down

Mische

Mische I actually was debating if I should get SheScentIt Tahitian Vanilla & Coconut along with the moisture mist. Or if I should get the Darcy's Transitioning Creme & The daily leave in conditioner. I think I may purchase the two you got and use them how you explained and see how that works for me. Is there a reason why you mist first with the shescentit & then use the transitioning creme? Also, do you use the transitioning creme only on NG or do you use it on the lengths of your hair? I'm worried that the transitining creme will be too heavy and weigh my hair down

lovebug10 They are both incredible products, I think you will like them! :) I use the mist first because I like how it dampens the new growth. I also like that it provides more coverage than if I were to just rely on my fingers. I feel like the combination guarantees I get all of my new growth.

I've been using Darcy's transitioning creme since December 2010 and it will be a staple as long as she keeps making that stuff! Absolute miracle for both my new growth and length. I use it from root to tip. If you are worried about your hair being weighed down, the transitioning creme won't do that. I have extremely fine strands and I'd say medium density (although when my hair is dirty and needs to be washed it looks low density I swear...) and this stuff NEVER weighs my hair down. It just soaks in and leaves no greasy residue.

lovebug10

Mische Thanks so much!! Just placed my order!! Can't wait till they both come! I also have the coconut vatika frosting already so I will definitely be using all 3 when my shipment comes!

lovebug10

Mische I just had to update... just got my Transitioning Creme! I parted my hair in four sections and then applied transitioning creme to the NG like it was a relaxer (not a lot since a little goes a long way). Then when I finished each section I applied a little bit to the ends and sealed with the vatika frosting.

Results = soft and hydrated hair! It feels SO good. And my NG is moist, soft and not crunchy and hard like it was before. I can't wait till the shescentit tahitian vanilla gets here.

Thanks so much for the tips! Can't wait till I'm your length!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14

You are completely awesome!:yep: I'm going to try the co washing method. This whole thread rocks!

sunnieb

Good bump!

I've now gone back to taking my time and moisturizing in sections on the few nights a week I don't cowash.

divachyk

I've actually found an easier process -- I'm now in love with using spritzes as my ng hydrater. It's so much easier than plopping product onto the hair/ng area.

Mische

I haven't washed my hair in almost 2 weeks and don't see myself being able to for another week or so... :blush: busy with training! I'm still showing my hair love every night during M&S, so things are going pretty well. I'm relying on my flexirods to give my hair that full look since I'm 12 weeks post and dealing with the inevitable shrinkage.

Mische I just had to update... just got my Transitioning Creme! I parted my hair in four sections and then applied transitioning creme to the NG like it was a relaxer (not a lot since a little goes a long way). Then when I finished each section I applied a little bit to the ends and sealed with the vatika frosting.

Results = soft and hydrated hair! It feels SO good. And my NG is moist, soft and not crunchy and hard like it was before. I can't wait till the shescentit tahitian vanilla gets here.

Thanks so much for the tips! Can't wait till I'm your length!
lovebug10 This post put a big smile on my face! I'm so glad you are happy with it. You'll have to let me know how you like Tahitian Vanilla. It's an instant hair softener (for me) so I also like to use it as a hair pick me up on those hot summer days! I need to order more soon.

Lilmama1011

Instead of using the brush to apply like a relaxer I use and applicator bottle and literally take seconds like thirty seconds to apply and smooth moisturizer down by flattening it with my hand so it can penetrate new growth and comb through with a wide tooth comb and I have little to no breakage when stretching. I'm all about moisture but of it takes long to do it , it would be hell for me. Applicator bottled are a life saver for me!

Lilmama1011

Lilmama1011 said:
Instead of using the brush to apply like a relaxer I use and applicator bottle and literally take seconds like thirty seconds to apply and smooth moisturizer down by flattening it with my hand so it can penetrate new growth and comb through with a wide tooth comb and I have little to no breakage when stretching. I'm all about moisture but of it takes long to do it , it would be hell for me. Applicator bottled are a life saver for me!

Also I only use shampoo like every month or so because I use wen and it's a cleansing conditioner so my new growth Isn't that much unmanageable. I only shampoo when I'm get a relaxer or color to make sure it's fully rinsed out, other than that I'm with my wen.

sharifeh

This is a great thread. Spritzing the ng with water before moisturizing is a good idea. Otherwise product just sits in my hair.

spellinto

Great post! To keep my NG moisturized I create a mix of my everyday cream moisturizer and water (coconut oil optional) in a spray bottle and spritz directly onto NG. I apply this mix as often as needed; because it is diluted with water, it does not make my hair feel greasy throughout the week from build up. I also DC at least 1x a week, and I am expecting a steamer in the mail soon that will hopefully enhance my NG's moisture levels even more.

sckri23

I just realized 2 days ago that co-washing and dry dcing isnt working for me at this many weeks (7 weeks and 1 day). My relaxed hair is moisturized but my ng isnt getting the moisture even when I part my hair and apply it to my scalp like grease.

Ugh I had stopped M&S because co-washing and dry dcing was enough. But now ima stop my conditioners at 6 weeks and just moisturize and seal every other day. Shampoo, condition, and dry dc every saturday. And ima have to blowdry it ugh I hate that.