Ladies whos ends went from split to healthy help!

jazzybklyn

I began my hair journey in january and have learned to better care for my hair. My hair grows well and is now growing more with better care. My only problem is split dry ends. Someone recommend bagging to me which is 1 thing I haven't been doing. I'm still a little confused.

Do I baggy with oil or moisturizer? And is it just overnight?

I also want to know if there are any other tips for healthy ends. I trimmed my hair about an inch and a half a month ago and it has grown back but I am noticing a few splits again as well as those white bulbs right b4 the hair splits ugh it's so frustrating because I know I can gain a lot of length. Help

Thanks!

FlawedBeauty

If split ends are your problem you may want to look at how you are handling your ends. What protective style do you normally use and how often are you brushing or combing. I have no advice on the baggying because my hair hates it. It may be just a matter of better protecting your ends and finding a good moisturizer to moisturize and seal with.

jazzybklyn

FlawedBeauty said:
If split ends are your problem you may want to look at how you are handling your ends. What protective style do you normally use and how often are you brushing or combing. I have no advice on the baggying because my hair hates it. It may be just a matter of better protecting your ends and finding a good moisturizer to moisturize and seal with.

I do a "bun" where it's kinda like a pony tail but right b4 u pull the hair out you leave the ends tucked in the scrunchie. Idk if I explained that good. Basically like a ponytail with the ends in leaving my hair in a puff.. Thanks!

jazzybklyn

**SaSSy** said:
You can't mend broken ends, the only remedy is a good trim

Yeaa I know I am going to trim them I just want to know after I trim how to keep them from splitting

jazzybklyn

FlawedBeauty said:
Oh and what do you mean a bulb right before the split? It sounds like you are talking breakage.

Okay never mind the bulb thing i just looked extraaaaa close and it's basically the hair is split but a tiny bit

Nonie

There's no set rule on baggying. Everyone baggies differently. Some with products, some without. Some baggy 24/7 under wigs, hats, phony ponies; some do it all night, some do it a few hours a day. Here are some threads on baggying:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=495549
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=590021

IMO you if you're maintaining your ends well, then you'd be dusting before splits show up. Splitting starts at a scale you cannot see and continues to grow till you can see it. So by the time you're seeing splits, then you know those suckers have been around for a while. If you're seeing them, then you have to cut off a chunk that you will miss. If you dusted sooner, then you could take off so little and stop their damage before it becomes visible. And in doing so, you'd get rid of an amount you won't miss and you give your strands a fighting chance.

So if you're still seeing splits, either you didn't take them out the last time (your trim wasn't above the damage), or your haircare regimen- needs tweaking (Are you rough with your hair? Do you use brushes? Do you use heat even for DCing?).

FlawedBeauty

That right there could be your problem. Are you using a cotton scrunchie or elastic. Either one can be hell on ur ends. If ur bun holder is fabric it may be suckin all the moisture out of ur hair. I always leave hair twisted and pinned up, but make sure they are coated heavily with oil to seal in the moisture since I don't tuck em under anything.

jazzybklyn said:
I do a "bun" where it's kinda like a pony tail but right b4 u pull the hair out you leave the ends tucked in the scrunchie. Idk if I explained that good. Basically like a ponytail with the ends in leaving my hair in a puff.. Thanks!

EbonyCPrincess

I am just now recovering from having very THIN ends, they weren't necessarily split though. I started using ceramide oils, DC'ing twice per week, avoided direct heat like the plague and protected my ends. And I got trims as I grew as well. Now my ends are thick and full again. Oh and I also baggied my entire head a few times a week with oil. I used to use moisturizer but I think I prefer to use oil on hair that is moisturized to baggy. HTH!

Nonie

I am just now recovering from having very THIN ends, they weren't necessarily split though. I started using ceramide oils, DC'ing twice per week, avoided direct heat like the plague and protected my ends. And I got trims as I grew as well. Now my ends are thick and full again. Oh and I also baggied my entire head a few times a week with oil. I used to use moisturizer but I think I prefer to use oil on hair that is moisturized to baggy. HTH!

EbonyCPrincess thin ends are what follows splitting. Ends don't become thin just magically. The hair splits then a part of that splits away leaving thin ends. Magnified, thin ends would look like the three strands seen below the top one that is frayed:

They started off like the top one and then parts tore away and the evidence is clear.

So just coz you don't see a fork doesn't mean they aren't split. You just can't see the ruggedness in those thin ends of yours coz they are small, but trust they ARE no different from the forked ones. All represent damage.

jazzybklyn

FlawedBeauty said:
That right there could be your problem. Are you using a cotton scrunchie or elastic. Either one can be hell on ur ends. If ur bun holder is fabric it may be suckin all the moisture out of ur hair. I always leave hair twisted and pinned up, but make sure they are coated heavily with oil to seal in the moisture since I don't tuck em under anything.

The black elastic scrunchies. Yeaaa my protective styles do need tweaking. Thanks

CurlsBazillion

Try adding protein, an egg yolk is good for that and its full of ceramides. Like EbonyCPrincess mentioned add a ceramide oil as the first thing that touches you hair after a wash, just a little bit of wheat germ oil can change your hair. seal your ends every day with an heavy oil, castor oil and good for that. Also try rolling you hair like its on a roller before you secure your bun with your hair tie that way your ends are in the center of the roll and not touched by the hair tie and don't tie it tight. I agree wholeheartedly with Nonie, you gotta dust more often, I do it monthly only taking off 1/8 in if I find splits....Well I've said a lot lol but I hope it helps

EbonyCPrincess

EbonyCPrincess thin ends are what follows splitting. Ends don't become thin just magically. The hair splits then a part of that splits away leaving thin ends. Magnified, thin ends would look like the three strands seen below the top one that is frayed:

They started off like the top one and then parts tore away and the evidence is clear.

So just coz you don't see a fork doesn't mean they aren't split. You just can't see the ruggedness in those thin ends of yours coz they are small, but trust they ARE no different from the forked ones. All represent damage.

Nonie Well that makes some sense, but it wasn't the case for ME. My hair was thin from breakage, not splits. But this is a great explanation for someone who is trying to figure out the cause of their thinness, I actually spent a lot of time examining my hair and reflecting on what caused it. So I would venture to say not all thin ends are always a result of splitting.

jazzybklyn

EbonyCPrincess said:

I had to google Ceramide oils real quick lol omg where have I been?! I need to incorporate this in thanks! And I will deff begin bagging. Not sure if I'll do my whole head or just my ends

jazzybklyn

DayDreamist said:
Try adding protein, an egg yolk is good for that and its full of ceramides. Like EbonyCPrincess mentioned add a ceramide oil as the first thing that touches you hair after a wash, just a little bit of wheat germ oil can change your hair. seal your ends every day with an heavy oil, castor oil and good for that. Also try rolling you hair like its on a roller before you secure your bun with your hair tie that way your ends are in the center of the roll and not touched by the hair tie and don't tie it tight. I agree wholeheartedly with Nonie, you gotta dust more often, I do it monthly only taking off 1/8 in if I find splits....Well I've said a lot lol but I hope it helps

Wow thanks a lot, never knew that

pinkness27

Has any one used nexxus? I got a coupon for 3 dollars off and it claims to rebind splitting hairs by 92%.

Last edited:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
You'll need to trim them off gradually and minimize heat usage. When I say minimize, I mean a strict, super low heat regimen as in no more than one to two times a month with heat.

It may take a while to see a difference, because the hair you had on your head before you started your healthy hair journey is still on your head and will eventually become your ends. If that hair is already weak, it will be hard for that hair to end up as thick, healthy ends. But as you continue your healthy hair regimen and use very little heat, your new hair will be strong and resilient, and when that hair becomes your ends, the ends will be in tip top shape. No, it's not a quick process, but it's worthwhile! You'll find that you can trim much much less after a while.

-PYT

pinkness27 You most likely don't want to invest in a product that binds split ends or claims to. Like many in here have said, split ends are damaged hair and need to be cut! Hair grows back :yep:

jazzybklyn

Supergirl said:
You'll need to trim them off gradually and minimize heat usage. When I say minimize, I mean a strict, super low heat regimen as in no more than one to two times a month with heat.

It may take a while to see a difference, because the hair you had on your head before you started your healthy hair journey is still on your head and will eventually become your ends. If that hair is already weak, it will be hard for that hair to end up as thick, healthy ends. But as you continue your healthy hair regimen and use very little heat, your new hair will be strong and resilient, and when that hair becomes your ends, the ends will be in tip top shape. No, it's not a quick process, but it's worthwhile! You'll find that you can trim much much less after a while.

Yes I have drastically cut down on heat now. I'm Kind of impatient when it comes to seeing results in things but I will continue and hope it gets better

Nonie

@Nonie Well that makes some sense, but it wasn't the case for ME. My hair was thin from breakage, not splits. But this is a great explanation for someone who is trying to figure out the cause of their thinness, I actually spent a lot of time examining my hair and reflecting on what caused it. So I would venture to say not all thin ends are always a result of splitting.

But @EbonyCPrincess what would cause breakage if not normal wear and tear that is characteristic of organic matter? Hair doesn't just break AT THE ENDS without first the strands being worn down to a point where they are too weak to withstand normal styling. It would be wishful thinking to assume that strands can be on your head for a whole year without some wear and tear occurring. And unless you're using a microscope and a calliper to examine the thickness of each of your strands from base to ends to ensure uniform thickness you can't really tell from examining them with your naked eyes that they aren't split. A fine strand is 0.00067 inch thick and a thick strand about 0.0071 inch thick. So would you be able to tell if it was 0.0069 inch instead of 0.0071 inch, which would imply damage? No you wouldn't. That's why I think claiming that one doesn't have damage is wishful thinking.

I once posted this photo of 2 magnified coils of kinky hair:

No one could argue that the strand to the right is split. Not only can we see the tear, but each arm of that tear is so much thinner than the part that isn't split. So someone with good eyesight could tell by comparing strands which ones are damaged and which ones are not, right? I mean, the thick ones would be w/o damage and the thin ones with damage. Easy, right?

WRONG!!!!!

I actually had "fixed" the photo just to make the point that the eye cannot tell what's what. Below is the original photo:

The strand to the left was split too. I just "erased" the top part of the split as would normally happen in real life: Part of the split would tear away to leave what looks like a "non-split" end. So looking at ends to see which are split is futile and claiming you have no damage because you cannot see splits IMO is wishful thinking.

And the fact that your ends are better now that you're practicing better haircare, PSing and trimming is further proof that you are slowing down the damage that is inevitable. By trimming, you remove the tear notches to create ends that are whole, not made of pieces just waiting to tear off and lead to thin ends.

Last edited:

EbonyCPrincess

Nonie - I appreciate your very scientific explanation, and I can see you feel very strongly about your opinion. However, no that isn't the case for ME AND MY HAIR. Breakage is a form of damage so I wasn't saying my hair was perfectly healthy. I'm saying my ends being thin wasn't due to splits. Point blank period. MINE was mainly due to breakage caused by stretching my relaxers too long. So if my hair breaks along the line of demarcation that means there are not as many strands of hair reaching the very bottom of my length, right? Therefore my ends became thinner as a whole because there was less volume of hair there. Yes, your explanation makes perfect sense - for some. But mine does too, right? If there is more hair near the roots and less at the end due to breakage along my line of demarcation the overall result was hair that appeared thicker at the roots and thinner at the ends.

Breakage for me was also caused by my previous stylist changing relaxers without my knowledge and a couple of other things. The fact that now I'm happily relaxing between 10-12 weeks and stopped visiting the salon altogether also supports MY theory. Thanks for your opinion, lots of good info that I'm sure someone will find valuable :yep:, but I still have to disagree with you. All thin ends are not caused by splits and I'm speaking from my own experience.

You asked what else could it be besides splits? Lots of things can cause breakage at any point along the hair shaft. Dryness, combs with seams, metal pieces on hair accessories, etc. etc. I mean I can appreciate your passion about the research you've done, but I still can't agree that it applies to every head of hair. Sorry OP, didn't mean to jack your thread!!!

Last edited:

WyrdWay

I think Princess and Nonie are taking about two different things, sorry to but in. But I think when Princess says her "ends are thin" she means the density or thickness of the bulk of her hair at the ends... like if she were to braid her hair in to one plait she would have a pretty noticable taper. She mentioned a relaxer thinning her har out like a pair of thinning shears taking out bulk.

While Nonie is talking about the "ends" of each strand being thin... which would also equal taper but not necessarily because of the same thing.

Again sorry to but in but it looked like a mediator might be helpful :D excuse my rambling I just got home from a 12 hr shift after 4 hours of sleep. >_<

Nonie

@Nonie - I appreciate your very scientific explanation, and I can see you feel very strongly about your opinion. However, no that isn't the case for ME AND MY HAIR. Breakage is a form of damage so I wasn't saying my hair was perfectly healthy. I'm saying my ends being thin wasn't due to splits. Point blank period. MINE was mainly due to breakage caused by stretching my relaxers too long. So if my hair breaks along the line of demarcation that means there are not as many strands of hair reaching the very bottom of my length, right? Therefore my ends became thinner as a whole because there was less volume of hair there. Yes, your explanation makes perfect sense - for some. But mine does too, right? If there is more hair near the roots and less at the end due to breakage along my line of demarcation the overall result was hair that appeared thicker at the roots and thinner at the ends.

Breakage for me was also caused by my previous stylist changing relaxers without my knowledge and a couple of other things. The fact that now I'm happily relaxing between 10-12 weeks and stopped visiting the salon altogether also supports MY theory. Thanks for your opinion, lots of good info that I'm sure someone will find valuable :yep:, but I still have to disagree with you. All thin ends are not caused by splits and I'm speaking from my own experience.

You asked what else could it be besides splits? Lots of things can cause breakage at any point along the hair shaft. Dryness, combs with seams, metal pieces on hair accessories, etc. etc. I mean I can appreciate your passion about the research you've done, but I still can't agree that it applies to every head of hair. Sorry OP, didn't mean to jack your thread!!!

OK @EbonyCPrincess, the part in bold is information you hadn't given before about breakage at the point of demarcation. Ceramide oils do not fix this problem so this would not have been guessed from your post. Also you stated you practiced haircare that causes damage to the structure of hair, so to then say that after that your had no tears, didn't add up.

But even breakage at the demarcation doesn't happen for any other reason than the strands beyond the demarcation are torn up (which starts from splitting) and weakened to a point whereby they are no longer as whole and strong as they used to be so that is why they break off. Splits is how that comes to be.

Anyway, I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

I think Princess and Nonie are taking about two different things, sorry to but in. But I think when Princess says her "ends are thin" she means the density or thickness of the bulk of her hair at the ends... like if she were to braid her hair in to one plait she would have a pretty noticable taper. She mentioned a relaxer thinning her har out like a pair of thinning shears taking out bulk.

While Nonie is talking about the "ends" of each strand being thin... which would also equal taper but not necessarily because of the same thing.

Again sorry to but in but it looked like a mediator might be helpful :D excuse my rambling I just got home from a 12 hr shift after 4 hours of sleep. >_<

@WyrdWay Hair that is breaking past the point of damarcation is usually hair that is badly damaged. Damage involves tearing away of the cuticle exposing the cortex of hair as shown in the photo below; the side closest to us has lost its scales of cuticle:

Then when this continues and the damage worsens the cortex explodes and the strand slowly tears away:

As this happens the hair will break off at the point where that tearing got to, because it doesn't split uniformly all the way to the base, but each arm of the tear tapers and breaks off. All the hair from the ends up to that point is weaker; it's divided and has lost some of its mass. It will look thin. Eventually each of those sections of the strand that were left will break off as they are all weaker than the whole. Throughout this whole process, the hair will look thin. When each arm of the split breaks off, the hair will look thin.

When talking about relaxed hair, this is usually so obvious because there's a difference in texture and the virgin hair is usually in a state of wholeness so breakage will happen at the point of demarcation. With natural hair, there is also a "point of demarcation" where the tearing of the strands reached so that ends also in this case appear thin from breakage happening there. So you see, we're talking about two sides of the same coin. One is chemical damage; one is mechanical damage. Both will lead to damaged strands that will break at the point where the damage has reached. The results are thin ends.

In both cases the thickness of the bulk at the ends will be affected. In both cases if you braid the hair the end will taper. In both cases, hair looks thin as if thinned out by thinning shears. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

The chemistry of the relaxing process is identical with that of perming, with the breaking of disulphide linkages and re-forming of the hair shape (in a straighter arrangement this time, rather than in curls), followed by re-making of the linkages.

The oval (elliptical) shape and natural crimp of Afro-Caribbean hair makes it difficult to straighten without damage. The chemical treatment can weaken the hair structure, and breakage after relaxation treatment is not uncommon. Contributing factors include incorrect concentrations of relaxing solution, mistakes in timing the application, and incomplete rinsing. Often the hair breakage is seen at the back of the neck. In addition, straightening leaves the hair fibers in a high degree of torsional stress (twisting), and a slightly wavy look. This makes them liable to rapid weathering, with the cuticle wearing down at the ends of the cross-sectional ellipse and a characteristic lengthwise splitting.
(Source)

This is the kind of damage that is caused to African hair by the use of chemical relaxants
(Source)

So thin ends, regardless of what caused them are a result of cuticle damage that leads to splitting up of the strand with the tears running up the strand and tearing off after tapering. If ever the phase "United we stand, divided we fall" rang true its in the structure of hair strands. The minute there's a split, there's a weakening. None of those sections have the strength to stick around. Slowly by slowly they will break away and with each loss, ends will look thinner. Eventually the whole strand will break off leaving FEWER strands which don't have a prayer, which will also look thinner and eventually meet their demise. This happens with both natural and relaxed hair, so really we can paint it a different color but it's still going to be a version of the same thing.

ETA: In the last photo showing relaxed hair, you can see that breakage has occurred at one arm of that lengthwise splitting that is inevitable in all hair. Notice how the spliting still continued up the strand which is why letting your hair break on its own instead of you cutting it doesn't solve the problem. But what I really want you to see is that the arm that didn't break is a classic example of a thin end that follows splitting. That arm itself doesn't look split, but does it mean the hair isn't split? No it doesn't. Picture this happening to many strands and you can see how the ends will all look thinner. Now if one arm broke, chances are the other arm will have the same fate so imagine that happening gradually...and the hair itself starts to look thinner at the ends and eventually all break off.

So the two "differences" you pointed out are birds of a feather.

Last edited:

Your Cheeziness

OP, what material is your scrunchie made of? If it's cotton, spank yourself right now. :lachen: Switch to a satin scrunchie if you continue to bun. I also found that by tucking my ends and bobby pinning them early in my journey helped my ends very much. And of course, moisturizing and sealing.

I'm not a fan of baggying because I found my hair just ended up soggy and weak even after only a couple times.

I also recommend you check out the protective styling thread. After trimming your split ends and starting fresh with giving them TLC and protecting them, you should see results.

Your Cheeziness

The black elastic scrunchies. Yeaaa my protective styles do need tweaking. Thanks

They have some that are solid rubber. I'd switch to those instead of those wrappe din fabric. As it stretches out, your hair can be ripped in that fabric and the metal clasp.

ETA: @Nonie Girl... :spank:

Last edited:

EbonyCPrincess

WyrdWay - thanks! and you weren't rambling, your input actually is spot on!

Nonie - Well...I really don't have anything else to say. I gave my advice to the OP, and for me the proof is in the pudding as I documented my recovery from thin ends back to thick and I simply stated all that I did. It may not or may not be "correct" in your eyes, but it clearly worked for me. *shrugs* No need to continue as I don't think it is necessarily helpful for anyone at this point, happy to agree to disagree.

Last edited:

jazzybklyn

Your Cheeziness said:
OP, what material is your scrunchie made of? If it's cotton, spank yourself right now. :lachen: Switch to a satin scrunchie if you continue to bun. I also found that by tucking my ends and bobby pinning them early in my journey helped my ends very much. And of course, moisturizing and sealing.

I'm not a fan of baggying because I found my hair just ended up soggy and weak even after only a couple times.

I also recommend you check out the protective styling thread. After trimming your split ends and starting fresh with giving them TLC and protecting them, you should see results.

Lmaooooo girl idek know what material it is. I will post a pic. Yess I tucked my ends and pinned it for the past two days that's gonna be a regular for me. I tried to look on that thread but either I didnt like them or it looked too hard to do but il gonna look again. Yeaa I trimmed ugh I feel sad I lost a lot of length