APL 2012 Challenge

NikkiQ

Man if they told people that work in my building that they couldn't wear certain types of hairstyles, there would be a riot up in here :lol:

I work for the government too, but thankfully they don't care about hair. Your clothes on the other hand...that's a different story.

livinthevida

Man if they told people that work in my building that they couldn't wear certain types of hairstyles, there would be a riot up in here :lol:

I work for the government too, but thankfully they don't care about hair. Your clothes on the other hand...that's a different story.
NikkiQ I remember watching interviews with the folks over at Google and Facebook I REALLY would love to work in a place where there's great food! :grin: comfy couches to lounge! and a real gym! :lol:

lamaria211

I WONDER if i can mix Matrix biolage ultra hydrating balm ad kenra m together for a DC? i have a lil bit of both of them left and im really trying to use them both up!

coolsista-paris

longhairdreaming said:
@coolsista-paris, yup your problem sounds similar to my sister's except the Ritz does allow wigs so long as they're realistic...no dreads or twists allowed though and they frown on braids.

yeah the ritz must be strict too!
this is crazy. they must understand our hair isnt the same.
do we ask whites in africa to have afro in able for then to work? NO

by the way im allowed wigs :straight and short....

no color contact lenses even if your blond and want to put green blue or brown...no! i remember a male collegue came to work and got sent back to the changing rooms .they told him " go and shave then come back" man that was funny. poor thing. i was shocked. they even told him he needs to do a straight blow dry to make the hair stay back and look presentable (he is white). he told me he never went to do that in his life except for the place we work at. man....crazyness

Last edited:

coolsista-paris

NikkiQ said:

some of us wanted to step out and not work to shout it out to them...but most are too scared to loose their job.so......nada! some say yeah lets do it then in front of thr manager they say "yeah i understand that we need to have straight hair to be presentable" pfff lost people big mouths for nothing.

pookaloo83

I worked at a Waldorf Astoria and I could wear my hair however I wanted. Always got compliments from guests.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using LHCF

NikkiQ

went to Big Lots today with a coworker on my lunch break and browsed the aisles for MN...nothing. This is just insane that stores either don't have it or are charging $15 for a tube! :lol:

pookaloo83

NikkiQ said:
went to Big Lots today with a coworker on my lunch break and browsed the aisles for MN...nothing. This is just insane that stores either don't have it or are charging $15 for a tube! :lol:

Dollar store. I got mine from there. Worked great!

NikkiQ

^^Girl shut up. Which dollar store??? Everybody told me not to waste my time checking any dollar store except Family Dollar and there isn't one that close to me.

NaturalfienD

Hello All,

I was in Cali for a few days, got back on Monday, and here I am finally checking in. I left off on page 281 and I could not read twenty pages worth of missed information. So I started off at 298 and ended up here. Seems like everyone is doing great and that we got some new folks in here. ::waves::

Congrats to the graduates of 2012 for making it to APL (I should be a rapper, right?)

Well, I am seriously considering making a straight wig for a change up. I have been on youtube and I am digging this 'twist cut technique' - I want to try it. What is holding me back is that I would have to flat iron my leave out daily and that was frustrating for me the last rip. I am going to make the wig like a full closure but leave a little, little bit out at the crown so it's like a bob look. Yesss, honey that is what I am going to do. I like my wigs full so I will get three packs and use about 2.5 of the hair. Since I am going for the straight look, I will have to purchase a new flat iron cause the one I have is so bootleg- can't bust a grape. I will go on the BSS shopping spree tomorrow, after work. Yeah buddy ....

NikkiQ

Hello All,

I was in Cali for a few days, got back on Monday, and here I am finally checking in. I left off on page 281 and I could not read twenty pages worth of missed information. So I started off at 298 and ended up here. Seems like everyone is doing great and that we got some new folks in here. ::waves::

Congrats to the graduates of 2012 for making it to APL (I should be a rapper, right?)

Well, I am seriously considering making a straight wig for a change up. I have been on youtube and I am digging this 'twist cut technique' - I want to try it. What is holding me back is that I would have to flat iron my leave out daily and that was frustrating for me the last rip. I am going to make the wig like a full closure but leave a little, little bit out at the crown so it's like a bob look. Yesss, honey that is what I am going to do. I like my wigs full so I will get three packs and use about 2.5 of the hair. Since I am going for the straight look, I will have to purchase a new flat iron cause the one I have is so bootleg- can't bust a grape. I will go on the BSS shopping spree tomorrow, after work. Yeah buddy ....

You know we want pictures when you're done...right? :look: :yep:

NaturalfienD

You know we want pictures when you're done...right? :look: :yep:

Yes ma'am NikkiQ ... I will definitely make sure to post pictures. Now, I know I have said that in the past :nono: but I will resolve my previous deceptions and show some freaking integrity!! :yep: If you don't have the pix by Tuesday, send them boys after me child!!

lovebug10

Today i was in CVS and stumbled upon eco styler gel. I bought it in hopes it will help lay my edges for buns which means more Protective Styling which means more retention which means APL:grin:

Any relaxed ladies use this? Is it okay to use everyday?

livinthevida

Hello All,

NaturalfienD I just Googled a YouTube video on the twist cutting technique and just learned how to cut my hair the right way! I wish I had viewed this video when I trimmed my hair in January. I literally split my hair into 2 halves straight down the middle with a two strand twist on each side then snipped the ends :antlers:

I had no idea we're suppose to trim on dry hair :blush: whoops!

Ladies there's dry cutting shears in this video on Twist Cutting Technique: Nape !

Khaiya

*cautiously pokes head in*

hi ladies, i know i've been MIA but i have a good reason! really i do! I found out that i was pregnant and i have just been completely exhausted and wasted. The last thing on my mind has been my hair, i've had it in plaits for about 2 weeks, i did wash it cause my scalp all of a sudden is extra greasy but i haven't dced or nething really:nono:

I'm dcing today tho, trying to make up for all the time i haven't been dcing and i'll put my hair back in plaits and see if i can co-wash/dc at least every couple days until i have the energy to take them down again. Ok, so that's it for my update, i'll try and come in more often but right now i can't make any promises, i'm just always so tired! I wonder if i gained any length? Gonna have to check and see.

livinthevida

hi ladies, i know i've been MIA but i have a good reason! really i do! I found out that i was pregnant and i have just been completely exhausted and wasted. The last thing on my mind has been my hair, i've had it in plaits for about 2 weeks, i did wash it cause my scalp all of a sudden is extra greasy but i haven't dced or nething really:nono:

I'm dcing today tho, trying to make up for all the time i haven't been dcing and i'll put my hair back in plaits and see if i can co-wash/dc at least every couple days until i have the energy to take them down again. Ok, so that's it for my update, i'll try and come in more often but right now i can't make any promises, i'm just always so tired! I wonder if i gained any length? Gonna have to check and see.
Congratulations Khaiya!!!!

NikkiQ

Khaiya said:

Ahhhhhh!!!!!! Congrats Khaiya!!! You're gonna be a mommy! We love LHCF babies.

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

NaturalfienD

@NaturalfienD I just Googled a YouTube video on the twist cutting technique and just learned how to cut my hair the right way! I wish I had viewed this video when I trimmed my hair in January. I literally split my hair into 2 halves straight down the middle with a two strand twist on each side then snipped the ends :antlers:

I had no idea we're suppose to trim on dry hair :blush: whoops!

Ladies there's dry cutting shears in this video on Twist Cutting Technique: Nape !

You are not alone @livinthevida- I had no idea how to cut my hair appropriately. I would have split my hair down the middle, snip it, and kept it pushing too! SamVillaHair is an awesome channel and I love the video entitled: Fringe. The way he did the bang was magical. Check it out and please tell me what you think.

Last edited:

pookaloo83

NikkiQ said:
^^Girl shut up. Which dollar store??? Everybody told me not to waste my time checking any dollar store except Family Dollar and there isn't one that close to me.

We have a dollar tree here. And some corner store that calls itself the dollar store. :yep: