APL 2012 Challenge

NikkiQ

OK I am definitely a late comer, but I'd like to join in. I have not been very active on the forum, but I hope to change that.

~Current hair length
NL
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd
Natural
~APL goal month
November
~Current Reggie and styling choices
Wash and condition once a week with Giovanni
Cowash 4 x a week
Apply a MN/MTG mixture to my scale daily
PS with half wigs
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
My change is this new hair mixture MN, MTG and rosemary oil. It smells so strong :ohwell:
~Post a beginning picture

Welcome PeJae :wave:

Evolving78

i am getting discouraged ladies. i had a nasty little setback last night. shampooing my hair really caused it to tangle up and i think i didn't get enough shed hairs out before i pre pooed. i had a knot so crazy, that i had to cut it out. i don't wanna cut my hair off. i just don't know what to do at this point. i am thinking of consulting a professional. i might just cowash with HE Hello Hydration to help. that and Mane and Tail was my only saving grace last night.

Seamonster

shortdub78 I have been looking at hair cutting videos on YT and one of the latest cuts involves cutting short chunks into long hair to create an edgy modern cut. That chunk might create a nice effect as it grows out.

Just trying to hair problem solve with you. Mane and tail is a protein detangler, and HE is a moisture. Do you have an oil? What do you pre poo with?

Evolving78

shortdub78 what kind of shampoo were u using? i think u can still reach ur goal u'll just have to nurse the area that u cut and it will catch up.

i used Joico Recovery Shampoo. see i had a mishap with protein a month or so ago and i can't seem to get my hair back on track. last week was a good wash day and hair week for me. i thought i was finally getting it back to normal. (i didn't use any shampoo) but this time i felt i need to remove some buildup and now my hair is a tangled mess. i feel like crying because i don't want to cut my hair. it's like a bird's nest right now. i just rinsed out the HE conditioner and it felt like it soften it up, but then it started turning on me again in the shower. (maybe it's the water?)

but i just don't know what to do at this point and i am desperate. i really wanna make my hair goals this year. i am sitting here with wet, tangled hair right now.

Evolving78

shortdub78 I have been looking at hair cutting videos on YT and one of the latest cuts involves cutting short chunks into long hair to create an edgy modern cut. That chunk might create a nice effect as it grows out.

Just trying to hair problem solve with you. Mane and tail is a protein detangler, and HE is a moisture. Do you have an oil? What do you pre poo with?

i used lustersilk shea butter cholesterol with Jojoba oil, avocado oil and coconut oil. i did that last week and everything was fine. after that i shampooed with Joico MR, followed with Joico MR balm. when i rinsed that out, that is where the trouble began. i used Joico Recovery Balm last week too, so i didn't think it caused a problem.

i did predetangle my hair with Mane and tail a little before i prepooed. my hair is matted in the back, crown, and right side.

kittenz

@shortdub78 My only advice is to saturate your hair in oil and be very PATIENT. Don't even consider the scissors an option and you'll eventually get through all your hair. Make sections and tackle them then braid/twist and move on the next. HTH

ETA: Wish I was there to help you :ohwell:

kittenz

shortdub78 whatever you have EVOO, CO (might be too light though), jojoba just something to help the hair slide apart.

I was thinking do you have Aloe Vera juice, it's great for detangling? If so, spray some very liberally on your hair before you apply the oil then start to work through your sections.

Evolving78

Dont cut it just Moisturize Moisturize Moisturize and nurse it back to health wear your hair up in a protective style to hide the damage. hth

but it's tangled? do you know how i can getting it unmatted and detangled? kittenz suggested saturating my hair with oil. is that good? i have plenty of oils around here, but i am scared do put anything on my hair at this point.

Trixie58

Decided to post a pic. This is Nov 11, 2011 (the sweatshirt), to March 7, 2012, so about 4 mos. Just had a relaxer Sunday and a blowout last nite for an event today, so this is about as stretched as i can get. Looks like im almost APL, but i would say another 3-4 months before I can say that comfortably. At this point, unless my hair is painstakingly arranged and bone straight, my head is not tilted down, my neck, shoulders, and right toe are perfectly positioned, it doesnt look this long. So i think @faithVA u were right, looking at summertime.

i am going to focus on my other challenge (luscious lengths) bc i think APL will come if i concentrate on retention.

Attachments

• hair 1.JPG
    hair 1.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 28
  • hair 2.JPG
    hair 2.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 23

Evolving78

shortdub78 whatever you have EVOO, CO (might be too light though), jojoba just something to help the hair slide apart.

I was thinking do you have Aloe Vera juice, it's great for detangling? If so, spray some very liberally on your hair before you apply the oil then start to work through your sections.

i have low porosity and that might not work with my hair (aloe vera juice)

faithVA

[USER=2496 said:
shortdub78[/USER];15435521]if i cut it, all of it will need to be cut.

Do you have any aloe vera gel and oil.

Try mixing AVG with an oil like Olive Oil and plastering your hair with it. Sit under a plastic cap (no heat) for 20 minutes. Then heat up some coconut oil and apply that on top and massage it through your hair.

Try separating your hair into smaller sections and gently pull on the sections to try to remove the shed hairs. Rotating through different pulling motions may help: running fingers down the sections; running fingers through the section; putting the section between the palms of your hands; taking each half of the section and gently twisting each section in the opposite direction.

Don't give up hope. I was able to do it and keep most of my hair. Sorry I'm so late. Didn't see your post.

kittenz

@shortdub78 Hmm, I have no clue about the porosity situation... I hope someone can enlighten you/us. I don't know my hair's porosity but AVJ is amazing when I use it. Error on the side of caution though

ETA: After 5 years you would think I'd understand porosity but I guess it's a non-issue for me :look:

Seamonster

shortdub78 no worries dear, it will be alright. I think I was able to figure it out once you listed your products. Your hair needs hydration, that is why it seized up in the shower, trying to hold on to the water. Do you have any glycerine, honey or curl activator products?

Everything you have done is good, now just put a product with lots or glycerine like carefree curl activator, and spitz with something like S-curl. Seal that with some EVOO. Do not detangle, just smooth you hair into a bun with the curl activator gel, and baggy overnight. You can rinse and reapply daily, so your hair is clean. Finger Test the hair to see how many tangles have come out. You can steam if you have one. After some of the tangles fall out easily, Mix raw honey and a little water into a mask pre poo on top of everything (no heat) leave it for three hours, finger detangle, plait, then wash in the plaits. Then you should be able to use your regular routine. Raw honey will remove build up if used without heat for three hours, and it is a humectant.

Try adding this curl baggy every one in a while for moisture, you just have to wear a bun that day. Be patient with you hair and listen to it.

kittenz

@shortdub78 no worries dear, it will be alright. I think I was able to figure it out once you listed your products. Your hair needs hydration, that is why it seized up in the shower, trying to hold on to the water. Do you have any glycerine, honey or curl activator products?

Everything you have done is good, now just put a product with lots or glycerine like carefree curl activator, and spitz with something like S-curl. Seal that with some EVOO. Do not detangle, just smooth you hair into a bun with the curl activator gel, and baggy overnight. You can rinse and reapply daily, so your hair is clean. Finger Test the hair to see how many tangles have come out. You can steam if you have one. After some of the tangles fall out easily, Mix raw honey and a little water into a mask pre poo on top of everything (no heat) leave it for three hours, finger detangle, plait, then wash in the plaits. Then you should be able to use your regular routine. Raw honey will remove build up if used without heat for three hours, and it is a humectant.

Try adding this curl baggy every one in a while for moisture, you just have to wear a bun that day. Be patient with you hair and listen to it.
:blush: This is hilarious, chefs use honey in chocolate when it seizes. Sorry guys a light bulb just came on for me, carry one :look:

ETA: my hair hates honey:ohwell:

faithVA

:blush: This is hilarious, chefs use honey in chocolate when it seizes. Sorry guys a light bulb just came on for me, carry one :look:

ETA: my hair hates honey:ohwell:

I've yet to use honey in my DC but I purchased 2 products with honey and my hair is just as sticky :nono: But it works on my mom's hair just fine. I have tried to dilute them but it hasn't worked out so far. Still going to try it in my DC one day and see how it goes.

kittenz

faithVA I tried to do a honey dc with honey and evoo it was a sticky mess. I haven't had much luck with humectants in general. Not the Nexxus one or HE HH.

Evolving78

thanks ladies. after i detangle, what should i do next? i started detangling and twisting my hair in small section. should i put a plastic cap on and leave the oil in for awhile?

kittenz

I think I would just rinse the twist (to remove the excess oil), M&S, and do a PS. I don't have a steamer but I know/think you do. Maybe steam (in twists) before you M&S and style??

faithVA

[USER=2496 said:
shortdub78[/USER];15435979]thanks ladies. after i detangle, what should i do next? i started detangling and twisting my hair in small section. should i put a plastic cap on and leave the oil in for awhile?

:yay: glad you got through that part. I would leave the oil in for a while. And if you have a really moisturizing DC you can throw that on top of it and let it soak in.

You can work the conditioner through before you rinse or you can rinse in twists. Usually once I get the shed hairs out and rehydrate my hair is fine.

SeaMonster had some suggestions in her posts. I haven't tried that but you may want to read it.

Evolving78

shortdub78 no worries dear, it will be alright. I think I was able to figure it out once you listed your products. Your hair needs hydration, that is why it seized up in the shower, trying to hold on to the water. Do you have any glycerine, honey or curl activator products?

i have Hawaiian Silky 14n1, but i think that has veggie or keratin protein in it as well. i gotta take a look.

i just greased and oiled my hair and trimmed the ends of the twists a bit. now i got a plastic cap on deciding what to do next. i am considering going under the streamer for 30 mins , and just rinsing. my hair acts a hot mess when i air dry, so i wonder if i roller set? would that be ok?

pookaloo83

Gonna pull down a piece of hair and see how much I've grown anything since the last time I did it. This is the month we check in with a length check right?

Sent from my iPhone 4s

diadall

pookaloo83 said:
Gonna pull down a piece of hair and see how much I've grown anything since the last time I did it. This is the month we check in with a length check right?

Sent from my iPhone 4s

I think so. Imma do a check before I get braided up.