The Dumbest D!#n Hair Advice You've Ever Heard (given or received)

kblc06

What the dumbest advice about hair care you've ever heard, whether or not you received or gave it? I just thought about my time a Msms (boarding-type school) when I was competing with a friend brittany, to give advice about hair care for my friend Doya. *names changed to protect the innocent*:look:

Now to give you some idea, brittany's hair was very unhealthy...all two inches of it with some very visible bald comb-over spots around the temple area and scales of dandruff due to infrequent washing on top of dermatitis :ohwell:. Doya who happens to be a fan of weave, had thinning, short hair but it was salvageable with some proper care. Now at the time, I was relaxed but transitioning (had recently discovered NP and BHM) with approx. bsl hair. I had good hair care methods before the boards and had grown my hair from above shoulder length from self-inflicted heat damage a year befor (inspite of knowing better because I was only 16 and wanted to be cute).

Doya was styling her hair and asked my advice on what she should do. I told her it would be best if she put if she rolled it and not used so much heat. Brittany interrupts and says that if she followed my advice that her hair would be all over the place because it was so short and that she should do the following:

-wash hair (no conditioner because that was for white people)
-add grease immediately after to "condition"
-add gel, slick hair down straight, and blowdry
-after drying, curl with a curling iron to set style, add spritz, repeat every 3-4 weeks....without washing in between

I sat in absolute disbelief :blush: even before hair boards I knew that would take someone's hair clean off their head. I said Doya, "are you really gone listen to her" . She said, "well, her hair short too and you got indian hair so what you do is not going to work for me anyway (to put this in it's cultural context brittany & I are AA and doyin is nigerian....and I do NOT have Indain hair:nono:). So I proceeded to shut up, since my advice was falling on deaf ears, but it astonished me that someone could give such advice, as if you wanted their hair to come out:nono:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
To let my hair do what it wants to do.

My hair likes to tie itself in knots which causes breakage and damage.

So letting it do what it wants isn't practical advice.

It's just a generic b.s. psychobabble spouted by folks who have zero useful input but just wanna throw their 2 cents in the convo.

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
When I was pregnant with my twins I lived in Germany and for some reason my scalp began to get really dry and my dandruff was something awful well a lady I worked with told me not to worry about it too much cause that was a sign that I had fast growing hair and the dandruff was a sign that it was growing. That was the dumbest piece of ish I had ever heard.

araceli2418

What the dumbest advice about hair care you've ever heard, whether or not you received or gave it? I just thought about my time a Msms (boarding-type school) when I was competing with a friend brittany, to give advice about hair care for my friend Doya. *names changed to protect the innocent*:look:

Now to give you some idea, brittany's hair was very unhealthy...all two inches of it with some very visible bald comb-over spots around the temple area and scales of dandruff due to infrequent washing on top of dermatitis :ohwell:. Doya who happens to be a fan of weave, had thinning, short hair but it was salvageable with some proper care. Now at the time, I was relaxed but transitioning (had recently discovered NP and BHM) with approx. bsl hair. I had good hair care methods before the boards and had grown my hair from above shoulder length from self-inflicted heat damage a year befor (inspite of knowing better because I was only 16 and wanted to be cute).

Doya was styling her hair and asked my advice on what she should do. I told her it would be best if she put if she rolled it and not used so much heat. Brittany interrupts and says that if she followed my advice that her hair would be all over the place because it was so short and that she should do the following:

-wash hair (no conditioner because that was for white people)
-add grease immediately after to "condition"
-add gel, slick hair down straight, and blowdry
-after drying, curl with a curling iron to set style, add spritz, repeat every 3-4 weeks....without washing in between

I sat in absolute disbelief :blush: even before hair boards I knew that would take someone's hair clean off their head. I said Doya, "are you really gone listen to her" . She said, "well, her hair short too and you got indian hair so what you do is not going to work for me anyway (to put this in it's cultural context brittany & I are AA and doyin is nigerian....and I do NOT have Indain hair:nono:). So I proceeded to shut up, since my advice was falling on deaf ears, but it astonished me that someone could give such advice, as if you wanted their hair to come out:nono:

:lachen:

OMG, OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must have read my mind because I was thinking of posting this very same question just a couple days ago.

Wait. I have to get back to the question coz at the moment I am LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

hairedity

I've heard many times "just as dirt grows plants, dirt grows hair!" followed by the advice of not washing hair while it's in braids for months -yuk!

Ivonnovi

:heated: Fire. Back in the day,(& why i've always been a self braider)....
When braids were installed, I was told (by several folks :mob:) to burn the frizzies(excess) off the braids, this will make them look neat and "seal" the ends. I've also witnessed this being done.

:burning:My response has always been....WTF!
:pullhair:"My" hair is part of the frizzies and I damn well know that burning is not good for my hair! :couchfire:

I also avoid cutting the frizzies off my finsished braids. (it's "my" hair)

The Princess

Someone told me I wash my hair to much when I told them I co wash they said my hair will fall out and my hair will thin. Itstead I should wash it once a month.

I will be bald if I would've took that advice.

*closer*2*my*dreams*

If i cut my hair and dyed it black it would grow faster (both were obviously false). I relaized that my "split ends" everyone complained about couldve been easily fixed with some coconut oil...

LunadeMiel

*Trimming your hair will make it grow faster
*Black people can't wash their hair everyday
*Sleeping in wet hair will make it rot.

dream13

After shampooing, an old stylist proceeded to towel dry my hair :perplexed...when I asked if she was done, she said "Yeah, you don't NEED any conditioner this time :rolleyes:. Hmpf. I joined LHCF a month later.

MAMATO

To cut split ends cause it will travel up....that never happened to my split ends. Honestly, who has really scientifically followed the progression of a split end to come up to such conclusion. Everytime I find a split end, I would leave it alone and nothing tragic never happened to my head of hair. I dust like twice a year just to refresh my ends. I did have short cuts in the past, just because I wanted to and that had nothing to do with split ends or unhealthy hair. I think stylists made that up to keep our hair and purse down to a certain level :)

AsTheCurlzTurns

If you hear the snap/pop/crackle while curling your hair, that means it's coming out straight and curly(from my mom when I was learning to use curling irons). Alas, that meant you're burning the mess outta my hair!:lachen:

MissRissa

When braids were installed, I was told (by several folks :mob:) to burn the frizzies(excess) off the braids, this will make them look neat and "seal" the ends. I've also witnessed this being done.

:pullhair:"My" hair is part of the frizzies and I damn well know that burning is not good for my hair! :couchfire:

omg last year i went to get my hair cornrowed with hair hoping that they would last more than 5 days before they started to look messy. after she finished braiding (and I didn't know she was doing this until after she had done half of my rows), she ran a lighter down each row. At the time my hair was APL. I took the braids out the next day and handfuls of hair were coming out. i cried for hours. yeah that was my first and last time going to a hairbraider.

Petite One

a. If you keep cutting your hair eventually it will never grow back.
b. Finger combing your hair pulls it out.

I heard about the dirt one too. I have a family member who swears that not washing her hair frequently makes it grow, yet it still is barely touching her shoulders. My hair has caught up with hers and I was all but bald last autumn.

MizAvalon

I have never understood that fire stuff. Fire and/or glue belong nowhere near your HEAD!!:nono:

BostonMaria

When I transitioned and did the BC I was told to blow dry my hair at least once a week so that I could loosen the curl pattern. Last time I checked doing that led to frying your hair, breakage, and LOSING the curl pattern altogether. If I wanted to lose my curls I would have kept relaxing my hair, duh!

RedVelvet310

The usual, when I told my friend that I stopped greasing my hair she told me my hair would drop out because Black people NEED grease. Her hair has been collar bone length for as long as I've known her (about 5 years)... after BCing my hair to about 1.. 1 1/2 inches short in January... It's now approaching full SL 7months later =)

Last edited:
When I was pregnant with my twins I lived in Germany and for some reason my scalp began to get really dry and my dandruff was something awful well a lady I worked with told me not to worry about it too much cause that was a sign that I had fast growing hair and the dandruff was a sign that it was growing. That was the dumbest piece of ish I had ever heard.

This reminds me of my friend who had micros and had clumps of dandruff in her head. I told her that she needed to wash them and she said that it was just "growing dandruff" which she always gets and it lets her know her hair is growing:lachen:.I told her there was no such thing but she didn't believe me.

kblc06

An old wise woman told me and mother this and we believed....turns out I had a fungal infections that was aggravated by relaxers which caused major shedding :spinning:

manegoal

I was told I had "growing dandruff" this person thought there was nothing I could do about it and that the dandruff was what made my hair long. A friend told me about nizoral (when you had to have a prescription) in the mid 90s and showed this person my dandruff free hair. She went and got her some. lol.
I was told grease will grow your hair and also water will make your relaxer revert. If you wash your hair to much it will fall out. You wash your hair too much, you think your a white girl. lol eta; I know longer use nizoral because I keep my scalp clean and free of grease. thanx lhcf

kblc06

My Aunt did this too, after a braider told her it would clean my braids up....what she didn't tell was that she had left my hair out of the braids that you would be burning my hair by doing that. She was already salty that she had to braid my damn near hip length all the way to the ends anyway :nono: