My Stylist Says Air Drying Is BAD???

LdyKamz

I went to my stylist for a touch up about a week ago. She sees me and says "that's all your hair has grown?" That ticked me off right there because I have been getting good growth. But since I only see her for touch ups I guess to her it seems like a really long time. Anyway, she starts going on and on saying "You need to come weekly for wash and sets, condition You only come when you need perm!...I have specials on Monday, Tuesday $15" Now that price does sound good but I'm looking at her like I have a regular Mon-Fri 9-5 and why should I need to go every week, I wash and condition my own hair every week and I co wash 2-3 times a week although I'm cutting that because it's getting cold. So I explain this to her and tell her what I do weekly which I have already explained to her before. Guess she forgot because she nods like she's a little surprised that I know what I'm talking about. She keeps her mouth shut while I brag about my regimen. And suddenly she's singing my new growths praises. "Oh yeah, nice growth here, a little dry today but very nice. Looks healthy. It goes on like this until I tell her she is the only one that uses heat on my hair. Most of the time I will air dry. Her jaw drops. And just like that, my hair is back to an abomination. "No, no no you cannot air dry. That is not good. You have to come every week definitely now!" What the heck is that about? After she flat ironed my hair you had to see how fast I ran out of that place! I get spooked easily and I don't think I'm going back. I watched her like a hawk to make sure I could do the relaxer myself in a few months. I'll be practicing with conditioner until then. And my hair is long enough now for me to trim alone. Since when was air drying bad? I remember my short stint as a natural I didn't like air drying because of shrinkage and tangles but seriously? Every time water hits my head I have to use heat? No way. Guess this was just a rant. :lol:

la mosca

Yeah, sounds like she's full of it. She's looking at you as a stream of income that she wants to increase. Definitely watch her.

Leona28

Yeah, she is not someone FOR you...definitely looking for more Christmas income.
Advice: Change hair salons FAST.

sunnieb

Airdrying may not work for some, but it's been working for me for years now.

Hope to see you on the self-relaxing side of the house when you're ready! :yep:

Sent from my android tablet using LHCF App

sckri23

Start interviewing new stylists. She insults your hair, compliments your hair and insults your hair again before she starts to do it. Thats not right. No matter how bad off my hair was (and my hair was atrocious) stylists never insulted my hair, they recommended a protien treatment or a trim. She was really unprofessional and I wouldnt go back.

Sckri23 from my SCH-I500 using LHCF

lamaria211

Did she explain her reason for air drying being bad for hair? If not she's just trying to get her bills paid off your hard earned money

Linxnme

Definitely time for a new stylist! You don't want your hair to mysteriously start shedding! You can't put anything past folks nowadays.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I'm sure you can do your own relaxer and it will look fantastic. I understand that stylists need to make money too, but dang! No need to insult your hair; she could've had the decency to make up something for air drying to seem bad. :lol:

LdyKamz

Did she explain her reason for air drying being bad for hair? If not she's just trying to get her bills paid off your hard earned money

She didn't even give a reason. And I looked at her like :perplexed and said really? why? She just kept shaking her head saying no mami no good no good. :lol: Oh well, she might fool some with that but she just lost me.

empressri

She didn't even give a reason. And I looked at her like :perplexed and said really? why? She just kept shaking her head saying no mami no good no good. :lol: Oh well, she might fool some with that but she just lost me.

girl....dominican salon? there's a reason some of them have thin ole edges after awhile...all that heat and tugging on your hair! dont listen to her, the very last dominican salon I went to...over five years ago said that I should perm my hair.

That was the last blow out I'd ever gotten.

westNDNbeauty

In the day and age of every one going natural and many educating themselves about hair, these stylists pockets are really feeling it.

I had a stylist look at my hair and tell me I should not be trimming my ends myself because I can cut myself. **serious face** *********

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
In the day and age of every one going natural and many educating themselves about hair, these stylists pockets are really feeling it.

I had a stylist look at my hair and tell me I should not be trimming my ends myself because I can cut myself. **serious face** *********

Lololololololol! I'm sorry I had to laugh at this ish!

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
I agree with the idea that their pockets are suffering. With all the new naturals AND all the women who are weaving up for 3 months at a time.

Last edited:

sunnieb

And another thing....

This is why so many salons in my area have shut down. I'm not trying to go to a salon and go back and forth over my hair. :nono: I want to go relax (pun intended! ;)).

I think the DIY market is where it's at.

LdyKamz

Another thing. I go in there all the time and her hair is a ratted tangled mess after air drying from a DC...she clearly air dries her hair on a regular. But for me it's not ok? I could understand her argument when her hair looks the way it does when she air dries, yet she still does it, my hair NEVER looks like that and she tells me it's not ok for me. some nerve.