Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Well, I wasn't able to record the actual bc (kids lost my power cord to my camera). But, I did take lots of pics. Did you see my post with pics yet? Please come see!

I love it so much and am so glad that I went ahead and BC'd. I'm also glad that I waited to get some length too. It's so friggen soft. I love it!

So, that's adios for me in this thread. Good luck to all of you. I hope you're as thrilled as I am when you finally decide to do it.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I'm 40 weeks post today.

I had kinky twists installed Saturday and it was a major FAILURE! :nono: They were really cute but the synthetic hair had my scalp itching and skin crawling at 4 a.m. Monday. I had to stay home and take them out. This was after washing the twists, dunking my hair/head in a bucket of ACV/water mix, doing a rinse, putting oil on my scalp, taking benadryll pills. I really tried yall. I know I probably wouldn't have had this problem if I had soaked the hair beforehand, but I'll just chalk this up to a lesson learned. I hadn't had this issue before, but maybe my scalp is more sensitive because I've been relaxer free since December and I'm more selective about what I put on my scalp nowadays.

I went out yesterday evening and got two wigs. I've only worn a partial wig before on a vacation. I'm sitting at work and got a couple compliments on it. I told my coworkers (white) what happened. Of course they likely didn't fully understand, but I'm sure they understood words- synthetic hair, allergic reaction, itchy scalp, wig. :lol:

I could have just pulled my hair back into a bun, but I was tired of that. I'm also in a wedding Saturday so I wanted to try out wigs to choose for that. I don't want to straighten my hair.

glad you are feeling better! :yep:

how are you gonna wear your hair for the wedding?

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
NJoy congrats, miss lady! i'm so impressed! with all that hair you have, i never thought you would transition in the first place, so you are truly an inspiration. :)

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Well, I wasn't able to record the actual bc (kids lost my power cord to my camera). But, I did take lots of pics. Did you see my post with pics yet? Please come see!

I love it so much and am so glad that I went ahead and BC'd. I'm also glad that I waited to get some length too. It's so friggen soft. I love it!

So, that's adios for me in this thread. Good luck to all of you. I hope you're as thrilled as I am when you finally decide to do it.

This post almost brought tears to my eyes. Is that weird? :look:

Oh yeah, 41 weeks today. :grin:

Last edited:
glad you are feeling better! :yep:

how are you gonna wear your hair for the wedding?

I'm going to wearing a wig! Who would have thought? This is my second day wearing a full head wig. I did leave 3/4 an inch out in the front for my own comfort. I also put baby powder on it last night to get rid of some of the shine. A coworker just told me a few minutes ago my hair looks really nice. I told her it was a wig and then told her my kinky twist saga. Lol. I should be good for the wedding. The wig style reminds me of my relaxed hair.

Leslie_C

Dayjoy omg it just made me kind of sad too that she wont be posting here anymore!

NJoy, before you throw up the deuces for good, share what your regimen is gonna be! You have a ton of hair at 17 months...I love it! Congrats!

NJoy

Here I grow again!

Nope. That's not weird. It's exciting! :drunk: We're doing this thang. Who's next? :lick:

@Dayjoy omg it just made me kind of sad too that she wont be posting here anymore!

@NJoy, before you throw up the deuces for good, share what your regimen is gonna be! You have a ton of hair at 17 months...I love it! Congrats!

Girl, I haven't even given thought to updating my reggie. I assume it's gonna be the same productswise but, I think I'm gonna start keeping it braided while I go hard with my growth regi. I'll probably cowash more since tangling doesn't seem to be an issue at this time.

Thanks for the congrats, ladies. I'm SO excited and need to come up with some new goals based on my natural hair. :drunk:

Linxnme

NJoy congrats!! I will be there in about....uh....21 months. Way to go. You give me hope of retaining most of my length before i finally Bc. I am currently between APL and BSL. I should be full BSL by year end.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
NJoy congrats!! I will be there in about....uh....21 months. Way to go. You give me hope of retaining most of my length before i finally Bc. I am currently between APL and BSL. I should be full BSL by year end.

Girl, this length feels great. You have a treat coming when you do BC.

daviine

@daviine, I know what you mean, my relaxed/texlaxed hair at its prime was pretty nice and I miss it, but the way I see it that hair is gone and even if I relaxed now it wouldnt be the same head of hair anyway bc I had suffered some damage before transitioning, then I did a pretty major chop to get rid of thin ends, and even with optimal haircare there is going to be some demarcation line breakage....so even if I hypothetically did give in and relax or texlax, Im fairly certain I wouldnt be happy with the outcome lol. So I might as well ride it out and on the other side of the rainbow will be a head full of healthy, natural hair. Its the limbo period that is hard.

Im also getting excited that I seem to be getting hair that is starting to clump into those penspring curls in certain areas. Pretty cool.
Leslie_C
I know, I know. My hair would look horrible if I relaxed it at this point. Sometimes I think I should BC to try to preserve my natural hair. I feel like there's probably thousands of splits traveling up those shredded relaxed strands.

I love the curls--especially when they're wet! Actually though, I only have curls/coils in the back. I'm not sure what the rest of my hair is doing. :lol: I hope to figure it out soon.

NJoy
Welp ladies. I think I'm gonna hop off this train and BC tonight. :nervous2:

I was gonna do it earlier today but, hubby was sweating me and making me all nervous. As if I'm not nervous enough already. :rolleyes:

So. Here I go. Geronimooooooooo.......!!!!

Oh, and I'm gonna try to video tape it...just in case it may be useful to someone else.

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Video! Yaaaaayyyyyy!!!!!! Can't wait!!!!!!!!!! Good luck!

WAIT! No!! Put it back-- put the hair back! Don't leave....:lachen:

daviine

After putting it off for over two months, I finally got around to clarifying my hair. I didn't mean to go that long. I usually clarify about once a month to get rid of build up, but I've been too lazy to get the ACV (I no longer use shampoos). So I kept on co-washing.

Over time I noticed a difference in how my new growth acted. It was more tightly shrunken, less defined and unable to retain moisture as well. I'm pretty sure that ya'll know that less moisture = difficult new growth. So I figured it was time that I stop being lazy.

I will say that clarifying with my ACV mix last night was the best thing I could've done for my new growth. I noticed more defined curls, less shrunken and more manageable new growth. Most importantly, my hair feels super moisturized and I did nothing but rinse with ACV. No conditioner or anything!!

So for those having issues with their new growth, I would say that maybe product build up is causing an issue so your new growth is rebelling as a result.

I hope everyone's transition is going well!!!
Sade18

Do you mind sharing your ratio of ACV to water? Sorry if I asked this already.

Leslie_C

Quick! Talk me down ladies lol....Ive been thinking about BCing all day and the Mr is telling me to go for it and hyping me up.....:nono:.

daviine....we are here > < Im constantly thinking about what if breakage at the demarcation line travels up the shaft and damages my natural hair.

Im just afraid Ill be unhappy and not be able to do anything with the 4 inches of hair Ill be left with if I cut now. And I have to go to work tomorrow so if I hate it Ill be forced to go to work looking like whatever. But part of me wants to take a chance and hope I fall in love with it. But isnt this kind of the awkward stage at about 8 months in? It wouldnt be quite a TWA but not quite enough to do much with either....right?

SqrpioQutie

i'm headed to Texas next week... would it be a waste of money to go to the Dominicans for a blowout before i go??... i know nothing of the weather there...

SqrpioQutie

Quick! Talk me down ladies lol....Ive been thinking about BCing all day and the Mr is telling me to go for it and hyping me up.....:nono:.

daviine....we are here > < Im constantly thinking about what if breakage at the demarcation line travels up the shaft and damages my natural hair.

Im just afraid Ill be unhappy and not be able to do anything with the 4 inches of hair Ill be left with if I cut now. And I have to go to work tomorrow so if I hate it Ill be forced to go to work looking like whatever. But part of me wants to take a chance and hope I fall in love with it. But isnt this kind of the awkward stage at about 8 months in? It wouldnt be quite a TWA but not quite enough to do much with either....right?

fight the feeling!!!..... especially if you're not sure... :grin:

NJoy

Here I grow again!

How far are you into your transition?

daviine

Leslie_C said:

Leslie_C
I don't know what the official awkward stage is but it's called awkward for a reason. Today is not the day to BC. You need a plan for this so-called awkward stage (stylewise). Also you should choose a night when you have the following day/days off. You might need time for shaping up, attitude adjustment, admiration or crying.... Don't listen to the hubby-- he's like mine.

Go visit Njoy's BC thread and look at videos of people BCing who long term transitioned. Or look for folks who transitioned at around the same length. Do this instead of BCing tonight. Then we'll do this again in a few days or so.

Leslie_C

i'm headed to Texas next week... would it be a waste of money to go to the Dominicans for a blowout before i go??... i know nothing of the weather there...

SqrpioQutie Texas is HUMID as heck lol. I wouldnt bother bc Im sure it would last for about 2.5 seconds once you hit the air there.

How far are you into your transition?

NJoy Im only 7.5 months in....:look: I swear it looks like I have a decent amount of hair to work with, but Im sure the relaxed ends weighing the new growth down are making it seem longer. Im willing to bet with the ends cut off and shrinkage it will bead right up into a twa lol. I really doubt Id like a twa on myself, although it looks great on some people.

Leslie_C

@Leslie_C
I don't know what the official awkward stage is but it's called awkward for a reason. Today is not the day to BC. You need a plan for this so-called awkward stage (stylewise). Also you should choose a night when you have the following day/days off. You might need time for shaping up, attitude adjustment, admiration or crying.... Don't listen to the hubby-- he's like mine.

Go visit Njoy's BC thread and look at videos of people BCing who long term transitioned. Or look for folks who transitioned at around the same length. Do this instead of BCing tonight. Then we'll do this again in a few days or so.

Thanks daviine, thats exactly what I needed to hear! The voice of reason!!!:bighug:You are right...this takes planning and Im not that spontaneous of a person anyway! Off to youtube to watch long term transition videos. Thx for the pep talk!

daviine

Leslie_C said:
Thanks daviine, thats exactly what I needed to hear! The voice of reason!!!:bighug:You are right...this takes planning and Im not that spontaneous of a person anyway! Off to youtube to watch long term transition videos. Thx for the pep talk!

Ha ha! No problem--- I was all nervous here because I never had to talk anyone down before. Glad I could help somebody. Muah! Let me know which ones you watch.

Leslie_C

Do any of you guys just wet/rinse your hair instead of cowashing?

daviine, I did this when I had my hair two strand twisted because my scalp was itching, but I didnt want to fuzz up my twists trying to get the product out. I think a lot of naturals do this too to refresh a wash and go....they just dunk their head in the shower and shake their heads like a puppy lol.

shortt29

Leslie_C said:

This was NOT the plan buddy! We are supposed to be in this thing together :) Hang in there and don't make any rushed decisions. If it makes you feel better, I'm so NOT happy with the way my hair looks right now but I'm focused on the end result...and it is definitely healthier.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang

SqrpioQutie as Leslie_C stated its HUMID as HECK out here. Im in Houston. Today was 93 max but I just got into the house and it was cool as far as weather goes with it being 73 at 1045pm. I say dont waste your money or time.....

NJoy

Here I grow again!
@SqrpioQutie Texas is HUMID as heck lol. I wouldnt bother bc Im sure it would last for about 2.5 seconds once you hit the air there.

@NJoy Im only 7.5 months in....:look: I swear it looks like I have a decent amount of hair to work with, but Im sure the relaxed ends weighing the new growth down are making it seem longer. Im willing to bet with the ends cut off and shrinkage it will bead right up into a twa lol. I really doubt Id like a twa on myself, although it looks great on some people.

Yeah, I hear you on this one. In that case back a-WAY from the ledge. You're not ready.

AJellyCake

Leslie_C
Try to find some long-term transition videos to inspire you to last longer with your transition. You said that you don't think you'd be happy with a TWA, so I'd also recommend looking for pictures of length checks around 7-& months (where you are now); if you're not happy with what that length would look like on you without relaxed ends, I wouldn't cut.

Maybe you can put your hair away for a few days or weeks? Even if it's just in a bun.

Sent from mobile

Leslie_C

Thanks for the support ladies! Love ya mean it! :lol: I dont know how he actually almost convinced me and I almost convinced myself that it was a good idea, but Im glad I didnt act on it (shudder)

I only have one day off (tomorrow), then I have a long busy stretch for several days after that. That means tomorrow is gonna be a lazy day and Ill pamper my hair while I lounge around...ahhh heaven!

I might do a curlformer set...because it really smoothes the two textures into one without heat. Its looking at the two textures everytime I unleash the beast (aka take down my bun after a long day--my hair elastic hurts my head after being in all day) that is tripping me out. It looks like I stuck my finger in a light socket....so not the business.:spinning: Ill figure something out. Im in this for the long haul unless I get so much demarcation breakage in my problem area (crown/middle back area) that it cant be disguised.