Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Leslie_C

I'm still in the mix. Changed my Reggie and its. Working great.
The Princess glad things are going smoothly for you. What changes did you make to your regimen?

9.5 months post and I finally think I have a decent amount of new-growth. Still much more relaxed ends though!

MsDee14 lookin good

11 months in and people are right, it gets much easier.
Most of the relaxed ends in the back are gone so I'm no longer dealing with scraggly ends. :grin:

ResultsMayVary your hair looks really nice! The breakage I got early on (line of demarcation til I figured out how to manage it properly) has left me with a lot of mostly natural hair in the back too lol.
This is me! Joining!

slp Welcome! How far are you post relaxer and how long do you plan to transition?

Im having some dryness again...I think I need to clarify. My hair doesnt seem to be letting moisture in...probably buildup. Any suggestions for a good clarifying shampoo? I only have neutrogena and it strips my hair badly. Im working 2 12's the next couple of days, so on saturday evening or sunday I think Im gonna henna put my hair in some twists for a week or so. My hair retains moisture well in them. Im lazy so Ill probably try larger ones this time so they wont take too long to put in or take down. I was supposed to henna last night, but I didnt have gloves...then I was gonna henna today and couldnt fit it in bc I had stuff to do. So gotta do it this weekend. Looking forward to giving my dull, dusty brown hair a little color and shine.

JJamiah

Leslie_C I love Ion Clarifying shampoo from Sally's. It cleans without stripping my hair. I buy this in the liter size. :yep: good clarifyer for sure.

Last edited:

slp

Thank you, Leslie C! I'm 16 weeks post-relaxer and I plan on a very long transition! I'm really anxious about losing length. Then again, I could wake up one day and just decide to go for it and BC. I haven't had really short hair for at least 15 years, and I don't think it suits me.

daviine

@daviine I usually use1/4 cup acv to 2 cups water.

Sorry your twistout didnt turn out well. What product did you use on it and did you set it on wet or dry hair? For me the products made all the difference, as well as perm rodding the ends. Keep practicing! As far as the breakage...I had the same problem but Ive noticed after doing a protein tx Im hardly losing any manipulating it. Im going to have to stay on top of protein it seems if I want to hang on to these ends long term.

Thanks Leslie_C I started out with dry hair that I sprayed with conditioner and water. Then I applied coconut oil and SM Curl and Style Milk (I think that's what I used--can't remember and I forgot to record it in my hair journal). The right side of the back came out beautifully, as did the left front but the rest was a HOT mess!!! I think I didn't apply the same amounts of conditioner/water to the various parts so some sections were probably more wet than others. Not sure. I did use perm rods on the ends because otherwise the relaxed parts would look ridiculous.

I just think that the amount of hair I lose trying to twist or braid my hair isn't worth it. Especially since my braidout are hit or miss...but I guess I won't master them until I practice. I think I'll wait until I'm natural. Buns seem to be the better way to go.

I've been using Dudley's Hair Rebuilder every week for the past 3 weeks. I plan to continue to use a protein conditioner every week until I run out or my hair tells me otherwise. I just found my sample of Aphogee Two Step Protein treatment and it seems to be a heavy protein so not sure when I should use it.

When I went out on Sunday, Things 1 and 2 didn't cooperate so I used the curling iron them. But it still didn't look good so I ended up doing a hairstyle that looked like I wanted to be Janelle Monae but didn't have the courage, or enough hair. :spinning:

I gave up on slicking Thing 1 and Thing 2 back, so now I am flat twisting the "bangs" part of my hair to the side and bunning the rest. Not sure if I described that correctly. I don't really like it but other people think its cute, so that will work for me for now.

I'm 38 weeks post today. Or 9.5 months. Can't wait to get these kinky twists next week.
Hi CandiceC! :wave:

This is me! Joining!

Hi slp! Thanks for joining us!

MsDee14

That's alot of new growth. What's your Reggie.

The Princess - Thank you!

Regimen
1x monthly- DC, Wash, Leave-ins and twist hair
1-2x weekly Rinse scalp with ACV mix after a work-out
3x Weekly Apply Sulfur Oil mix to scalp
1x Daily Moisturize with Aloe Vera Mix and Seal with Oil Mix
Quarterly- Henna and Indigo
Protective Styling 95% of the month- Hair is in Twists or buns with real hair only.

Extras: Work out a minimum of 4 x weekly
Increase protein intake
Take Multi, MSM, and BComplex Daily with Orange Juice
twice a week, take Biotin

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Today is my 39 week/9 month/three-fourths year mark. :grin: I got my hair blow dried and flat ironed for the first time since May. My hair stylist was impressed with my ends, so I guess a summer of cowashing and wet bunning paid off. My hair seems thicker but not really longer--I should have had her put in fewer curls so I could see the length better. I don't even care--as long as I see a ton of new growth I'm happy. I wish I had taken before pictures.

MVPMOM

I am only 15 weeks post and having a hard time finding hairstyles. I am tired of my bun! I wore a bun almost everyday before I decided to transition. So now I am really seriously sick of them!!!! I need help. I have spent hours viewing YouTube videos trying to find inspiration, but my problem is length. Can someone point me in the direction of transitioning hairstyles for APL or longer? My hair in the front is a little past APL and my hair in the back is about BSL. Maybe I have no creativity, but nothing I have found seems to work!!! I REALLY don't want to BC! I have been natural a few times before (for years at a time) but I have always BC'd. Any suggestions? TIA!

Linxnme

I need help ladies. My transition is going smoothly but, the crown of my hair is dry and brittle as heck. I m&s, I co-wash once a week, I dc once a week, include oils etc. I have a nice little regimin going on. All is well but that section of my hair (the roots in the crown), which is the thickest btw, just seems so dry in comparison to the rest. I don't have any breakage, thank God, but I really need it to act like the rest of my hair.

What can I do?

Rae81

Linxnme said:
I need help ladies. My transition is going smoothly but, the crown of my hair is dry and brittle as heck. I m&s, I co-wash once a week, I dc once a week, include oils etc. I have a nice little regimin going on. All is well but that section of my hair (the roots in the crown), which is the thickest btw, just seems so dry in comparison to the rest. I don't have any breakage, thank God, but I really need it to act like the rest of my hair.

What can I do?

I am having the same issue. It's very frustrating , it has a mind of its own

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

shortt29

6 months post and I must say it feels like transitioning is getting easier but this breakage is a pain! I have been using the Aphogee 2min on Saturdays but I think I may need to do the 2 step :( I will see what state my hair is in after my September henna

newbeginnings2010

shortt29 Congrats on making 6 months! The breakage is a HUGE pain. If you find a better solution than straigtening every 4 weeks, ponytailing, and washing every 2 weeks, let me know! This is my current plan!

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I'm on Day 2 post of my blow dry and flat iron. I had forgotten how much I like my straighter hair pull-back/updos. Is anybody roller setting nine months post or so hair? Is it too much trouble/manipulation?

MystiqueBabe

IDK I think I may BC on New Years, by then I should have at least 8" of NG or more. Which leaves most of my hair at blunt shoulder length. In some areas of my hair the relaxed hair is hanging on for dear life and I have sections that are completely natural in the back. My hair is a different texture/hair type in the back and gets very dry and I have always had problems with breakage there so it's to be expected. I wear low buns to hide it. I can't really wear my hair out since the relaxed ends are so stringy and gross. :perplexed My natural hair is thriving though. :yep: Next month I will be 1 year into my transition.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I'm on Day 2 post of my blow dry and flat iron. I had forgotten how much I like my straighter hair pull-back/updos. Is anybody roller setting nine months post or so hair? Is it too much trouble/manipulation?

Ive been doing straight styles now and i noticed alot less tangling and breakage. Im doing ponytail rollerstes now which get my hair 90% straight. They go much quicker than regular rollersets and only need a tiny bit of heat to get the roots perfectly smooth. Im only 6 months post though

The Princess

Leslie_C said:
The Princess glad things are going smoothly for you. What changes did you make to your regimen?

MsDee14 lookin good

ResultsMayVary your hair looks really nice! The breakage I got early on (line of demarcation til I figured out how to manage it properly) has left me with a lot of mostly natural hair in the back too lol.

slp Welcome! How far are you post relaxer and how long do you plan to transition?

Im having some dryness again...I think I need to clarify. My hair doesnt seem to be letting moisture in...probably buildup. Any suggestions for a good clarifying shampoo? I only have neutrogena and it strips my hair badly. Im working 2 12's the next couple of days, so on saturday evening or sunday I think Im gonna henna put my hair in some twists for a week or so. My hair retains moisture well in them. Im lazy so Ill probably try larger ones this time so they wont take too long to put in or take down. I was supposed to henna last night, but I didnt have gloves...then I was gonna henna today and couldnt fit it in bc I had stuff to do. So gotta do it this weekend. Looking forward to giving my dull, dusty brown hair a little color and shine.

I'm doing the CG method now. So far so good.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Ive been doing straight styles now and i noticed alot less tangling and breakage. Im doing ponytail rollerstes now which get my hair 90% straight. They go much quicker than regular rollersets and only need a tiny bit of heat to get the roots perfectly smooth. Im only 6 months post though

*Multiple question alert*

Do you do multiple ponytails?
Do you dry under a dryer?
Do you comb through the roots as well as the ends with a small tooth comb?
For that matter, do you even use a small tooth comb?
What kind of heat do you use on the roots? Blow dryer? Flat iron?

Thanks a lot!

shortt29

Napp said:

I agree! Ponytail roller sets are helping me A LOT and I'm 6 months post as well.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Today is the first time that I really got to see my curl pattern. I've been so busy trying to keep my hair stretched to avoid tangling that I hadn't seen my beautiful curlies.

Now, if I can only get the courage to cut off these straight ends, I might really njoy my natural hair. :look:

JJamiah

Today is the first time that I really got to see my curl pattern. I've been so busy trying to keep my hair stretched to avoid tangling that I hadn't seen my beautiful curlies.

Now, if I can only get the courage to cut off these straight ends, I might really njoy my natural hair. :look:

NJoy you going to share a pic with us? We want to see too :look:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using LHCF

NJoy

Here I grow again!
NJoy you going to share a pic with us? We want to see too :look:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using LHCF

If it doesn't look too crazy. I'm already discouraged by my relaxed ends. The rest of my hair looks all thick and lush and then skimpy ends. I think I'm gonna just go ahead and cut em. I may even do that before taking these twists down. #sigh

NJoy

Here I grow again!
If it doesn't look too crazy. I'm already discouraged by my relaxed ends. The rest of my hair looks all thick and lush and then skimpy ends. I think I'm gonna just go ahead and cut em. I may even do that before taking these twists down. #sigh

My bad. I thought you were commenting on me saying i flat twisted my hair last night for my first ever twist out. Can't remember what and where I'm posting. Lol

Napp

Ms. Nobody
*Multiple question alert*

Do you do multiple ponytails? i do about 14 sections.
Do you comb through the roots as well as the ends with a small tooth comb? yes. this is the only way i can rid my hair of shedded hair for the most part.
For that matter, do you even use a small tooth comb? i only use a fine toothed comb. i have one that doesnt snag my hair.
What kind of heat do you use on the roots? Blow dryer? Flat iron?
ive been using my pressing comb just because i want to use as little heat as possible. right now i just press the part and some of the crown.i think i will start flat ironing all the roots once my ng gets longer

Thanks a lot!

answers in the bold

daviine

43 weeks today.

I've been meaning to ask this same question for a week. Is anyone roller setting? I have some mesh rollers that I'll break out when the weather cools down if anyone is having successful experiences.

ETA: Is it absolutely necessary to apply heat to the roots? Won't they get straight with the tension from the roller set?

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
So wait. How about, I was trying to wait for my hair to completely dry after the steam from my shower dampened it. I responded to your last post via cell because I was out running an errand right quick. Just as I pull up to my subdivision, the sky just opened and poured out a flash flood. Couldn't park in the garage because the kids left bikes on my side. So I get in, look at my hair in the mirror and grab a pair of scissors. I wanted to completely chop the relaxed ends off but ended up cutting about 1-1.5". I'll wait and see how it looks. Really. If it looks crazy, I'm gonna just say bump it and cut. I think these ends are giving me a false sense of security AND look crazy. I just don't know how hubby will feel when my hair shrinks up to a puff. He definitely didn't like my dd's hair in puffs. Whatever, man. Whatever. :rolleyes:

daviine

So wait. How about, I was trying to wait for my hair to completely dry after the steam from my shower dampened it. I responded to your last post via cell because I was out running an errand right quick. Just as I pull up to my subdivision, the sky just opened and poured out a flash flood. Couldn't park in the garage because the kids left bikes on my side. So I get in, look at my hair in the mirror and grab a pair of scissors. I wanted to completely chop the relaxed ends off but ended up cutting about 1-1.5". I'll wait and see how it looks. Really. If it looks crazy, I'm gonna just say bump it and cut. I think these ends are giving me a false sense of security AND look crazy. I just don't know how hubby will feel when my hair shrinks up to a puff. He definitely didn't like my dd's hair in puffs. Whatever, man. Whatever. :rolleyes:

Exciting!!! We support you either way but I get a little disappointed/sad when people BC and leave the thread. :ohwell:

I just want to be able to put my hair in a ponytail though. My DH is pushing for a BC. :nono:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
43 weeks today.

I've been meaning to ask this same question for a week. Is anyone roller setting? I have some mesh rollers that I'll break out when the weather cools down if anyone is having successful experiences.

ETA: Is it absolutely necessary to apply heat to the roots? Won't they get straight with the tension from the roller set?

no its not. i would put heats at the root for a more finished and lasting look though. where i didnt use heat my roots poofed up with the quickness eventhough they were straight at first..

this is the finished result of my ponytail set. i did the front traditionally so i wouldnt have to use heat. i still did because it look just "OK" and a little poofy at the crown so i just used my pressing comb to smooth my part and crown.

Attachments

• ponysetresult.jpg
    ponysetresult.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 49