Recovering from a Setback Support Thread

Nayeli

I forgot I had taken this picture after the July relaxer. I'm inching down to BSL and the goal was (and still is) to get there by December. But I refuse to hit that mark with the thinness. The ends just feel "wispy."

I'll probably be flat-ironing soon, so I'll take another pic then - hoping to see my hair look a lot thicker. Going to do a DC tonight.

Aggie

I forgot I had taken this picture after the July relaxer. I'm inching down to BSL and the goal was (and still is) to get there by December. But I refuse to hit that mark with the thinness. The ends just feel "wispy."

I'll probably be flat-ironing soon, so I'll take another pic then - hoping to see my hair look a lot thicker. Going to do a DC tonight.

Are you relaxed or natural now Nayeli? I am relaxed but transitioning to texlaxed to gain some thickness. I have decided that I do not want the straight relaxed ends anyway so if they break off, I'm okay with that. I am slowly trimming them off anyway.

I am stretching my relaxer at least a year. When I get there, I'll assess what condition my hair is in, what the length of my new growth is, and go from there. If I am not yet satisfied with the results at that point, I will stretch another 6 months and re-assess then and so on and so on.....

In the mean time, I will be taking very good care of my new growth, staying away from heat, and keeping my hair protective styled:yep:. Flat ironing with a pretty hot iron makes my hair ends look a little thin I think, hence the reason for staying away from it. I like my Sedu for one reason, I can adjust the temperature and keep it low so I don't burn my hair, but still maintain some thickness in my hair.

Nayeli

Still relaxed Aggie - I've seriously considered texlaxing. I always thought that the bone straight look would appeal to me until the end but now I'm not so sure. And you'd think by now I'd lower the heat on my flat iron too! I flat iron maybe every 4-6 weeks so that's how I justify the amount of heat I use:rolleyes: Horrible I know........I need to do better.

How has your transition to texlaxed been going so far Aggie? The idea of transitioning scares me.

Desarae

DesiRae- do you really think it was the BKT? I have toted with the idea, but now I know it is not for me.

I truly believe had I not done the BKT my hair would not feel the way it does, nor would I have had to chop off 3 inches of hair due to thinning ends due to breakage. My hair feels like it has a hard coating on each strand that my conditioners can't penetrate...It's hard to explain. It feels dry, even when it's wet, and it's really, really hard to detangle. It dries out very quickly. I did not do any of this before the BKT,

I know I had a double process on my hair, but it was still thriving, growing and not breaking or shedding. My balance was A1. So I know people may say that it may have been a combo of things, they may be right, but all I know is the BKT was not right for MY hair and I regret doing it.

It started immediately taking a turn for the worse after I did the treatment. Now I'm at a loss of what to do with my hair, because none of my products work the same, and my hair doesen't feel the same, so it's hard to assess it.

I seriously don't want the hair that I have on my head anymore if this stuff doesen't wear off.

Please, if it ain't broke don't fix it. My hair was doing so good before this. I just want to cry looking at it now.

You may not have the miraculous results everyone else seems to be having. And upon research, there are others who had bad results:

http://www.short-hair-style.com/reaction-to-keratin-hair-treatment.html

hopeful

^^^Hey DesiRae, thanks for the post about the BKT. I am transitioning and have toyed with the idea of the BKT but something in the back of my mind keeps saying don't do it. I think I'm going to KIM and focus on being 100% natural. I will get a good press/flat-iron when I want to and call it a day.

SelfStyled

My heart goes out to everyone here......(((Hugs))). Desirae, there has to be a way that you can remove the BKT from your hair. I know what you mean about the coated feeling my daughter(she has natural hair) has just gotten her 2nd BKT and the hair does feel some what coated. I would keep on DC'ing with heat, to try and force the cuticles to accept some moisture.

nappystorm

Nappystorm, your hair is sooo thick :blush: I can just imagine how happy you'll be when you regain your length. Thanks for joining us ladies!
Thanks for making this thread. I get so discouraged I rarely post in this section. My dumb butt didn't appreciate my hair when I had it and now it's gone:nono:. Hopefully by the time it grows, I can see it for the gift it truly is.

Nayeli

Oh I know how you feel. A little bit of care and I forgot how vulnerable my hair could be to too much time with chemicals in it.

NerdSauce

I seriously don't want the hair that I have on my head anymore if this stuff doesen't wear off.

I don't have much to add to this thread because I haven't had any major setbacks, but I can understand how upset you are DesiRae.

However, BKT is meant to be a temporary treatment. If I were you I would load up all the things that you're supposed to avoid on BKT'd hair. For example, I'd whip up whatever mix you use to DC--but then put some table salt (like the Kiyafizzle) and maybe citric acid in it. And then maybe I'd clarify.

If I wanted that junk out of my hair then you best believe I would be doing everything I could think of to wear it away. It could be that what feels like crap really IS the coating..

I hope whatever you can come up with works for you :yep:

I was considering the BKT, and I may do it at a later date, but I have a feeling it is best on slightly overmoisturized hair ('cos of the strong protein.. and since the most successful BKT experiences seem to be had by those who cowash a lot, could be wrong).. But mostly for now I really just like my natural texture and don't want anything different. When single strand knots start kicking my butt again, expect that tune to change. :giggle:

divinerae

After taking down locs I was not accustom to the daily maintenance that has to be done to keep long loose natural hair from tangling too much.

Setback: Single Strand Knots and uneven length
Effects: Cut any where from 1-5 inches off. Went from mid-back to just a smidgen under APL

Plan of action: Thinking I will keep my hair straight with flat-ironing or roller sets for a while. Twist outs done on stretched out hair only and not directly out of the shower. Babying my ends as much as I can with "out" hair. Using henna more often to thicken up my ends. Finding my proper balance between protein and moisture.

Estimated date of full recovery: I'm hoping to be BSL by March 2010

Last edited:

Desarae

I don't have much to add to this thread because I haven't had any major setbacks, but I can understand how upset you are DesiRae.

However, BKT is meant to be a temporary treatment. If I were you I would load up all the things that you're supposed to avoid on BKT'd hair. For example, I'd whip up whatever mix you use to DC--but then put some table salt (like the Kiyafizzle) and maybe citric acid in it. And then maybe I'd clarify.

If I wanted that junk out of my hair then you best believe I would be doing everything I could think of to wear it away. It could be that what feels like crap really IS the coating..

I hope whatever you can come up with works for you :yep:

I was considering the BKT, and I may do it at a later date, but I have a feeling it is best on slightly overmoisturized hair ('cos of the strong protein.. and since the most successful BKT experiences seem to be had by those who cowash a lot, could be wrong).. But mostly for now I really just like my natural texture and don't want anything different. When single strand knots start kicking my butt again, expect that tune to change. :giggle:

I started using BKT "unfriendly" products as soon as I realized I wanted that junk out of my hair. I believe this products is not as "temporary" as they try to market it. That's why it's called the "progressive blowdry" (escova progressiva) because it progressively PERMANENTLY straightens your hair.

I'm going to try to add salt and see what happens. I really don't have much to lose. I started my journey BCing with a TWA so that could be the worse that could happen. :nono:

Aggie

Still relaxed Aggie - I've seriously considered texlaxing. I always thought that the bone straight look would appeal to me until the end but now I'm not so sure. And you'd think by now I'd lower the heat on my flat iron too! I flat iron maybe every 4-6 weeks so that's how I justify the amount of heat I use:rolleyes: Horrible I know........I need to do better.

How has your transition to texlaxed been going so far Aggie? The idea of transitioning scares me.
At about 5 months it was pretty tough, but once I passed it, I got a reggie that helps me go on longer. So it's coming along pretty well actually especially with the support of the Long Term Relaxer Stretch Support thread. There's a lot of encouragement going on in there. I am determined to stretch a year this time and I will not be deterred from this one objective.

Nayeli

Thanks Aggie! I need to hop on that thread too, since I plan to stretch since December and all. I'll do some more research on texlaxing to see if it's something I want to do.

Aggie

Thanks Aggie! I need to hop on that thread too, since I plan to stretch since December and all. I'll do some more research on texlaxing to see if it's something I want to do.

You're welcomed Nayeli. You are doing the right thing by doing some research before going headlong into any big change. Good luck with whatever you do decide to do.

4mia

how is everyone doing?i just got a relaxer yesterday. i had to get my mil to put it in due to finances. i hope that wasnt a bad move.

Khaiya

I did a DC today, a bit of protein and a lot of moisture. I hair feels better, i'm so relieved the shedding has stopped, now i need to work on getting the thickness back since i still think sections of it thinnned a bit as a result of the shedding but we'll see. I measured it wet today and realized that my trim didnt take off as much as i thought, i'm about where i was the last time i measured (5th bulge in my spine, lol) before the trim i was heading for the 6th one but this isn't much of a setback, i can live with that.

NerdSauce

I started using BKT "unfriendly" products as soon as I realized I wanted that junk out of my hair. I believe this products is not as "temporary" as they try to market it. That's why it's called the "progressive blowdry" (escova progressiva) because it progressively PERMANENTLY straightens your hair.

Actually, now that you mention it, I never actually saw the phrase "Brazilian Keratin Treatment" on the Softliss website. :nono: Is that what you used?

I feel really bad to think that you may have been a victim of 'creative' marketing. I have no idea why your hair hasn't reverted when others has--- but then I can't think of anyone who has used Softliss who has let their hair revert all the way..

I have to say thank you for documenting your experience here though. It definitely seems like you're doing everything right, it doesn't make sense. :ohwell:

Nayeli

I'm feeling a bit better about my hair situation. DC'ed last night and combed out my hair today. Still going strong with BT. I've also been noticing that pieces of my hair have been sticking together. This only started happening a few months ago and I cannot figure for the life of me what is causing it. Trying to ignore my raggedy ends.

Desarae

Actually, now that you mention it, I never actually saw the phrase "Brazilian Keratin Treatment" on the Softliss website. :nono: Is that what you used?

I feel really bad to think that you may have been a victim of 'creative' marketing. I have no idea why your hair hasn't reverted when others has--- but then I can't think of anyone who has used Softliss who has let their hair revert all the way..

I have to say thank you for documenting your experience here though. It definitely seems like you're doing everything right, it doesn't make sense. :ohwell:

I don't consider myself a victim, I knew the risks when I decided to take the plunge. I've only had the treatment for a month, and i'm relaxed so there's not much to ''revert" back to, other than normal feeling, non-breaking hair. I just wish it would have agreed with MY hair , or I wish would have never done it.

You can't trust much by way of marketing in the product business, you basically use them at your own risk, and unfortunately, it didn't work in my hair's favor.

ETA: The term/brand "Brazilian Keratin Treatment" was first coined by the brand of treatment made by Marcia Texiera, I think they were the first or one of the first to have the treatment.
So all the other brands are named something else other than "Brazilian Keratin Treatment"
ie. Intelligent Brush (Softliss), Brazilian Blowout, Keratin Hair Treatment, Escova Progressiva. They're all just different names for thier own formulaton of the treatment. (If that makes sense)

Last edited:

tdwillis

how is everyone doing?i just got a relaxer yesterday. i had to get my mil to put it in due to finances. i hope that wasnt a bad move.

It shouldn't be a bad move. It saves money. :yep:
I thought that maybe using PC control would help my deep conditioner, but my hair didn't feel much different. So I am just going to not use heat this week. I am nervous. Tomorrow is the first day of classes and I am a teacher. I have never worn my hair completely in it's natural state in the class. Wish me luck.

LongHairNWaiting

Setback: Going from bc\natural and 3 months of growth to texturized. My hair went BONE STRAIGHT!

Resolution: Crown~n~Glory method. Protein and Moisturizing\Growth serums\MN\Megatek\and Sulphur.

I will be wearing braid from 6 - 12 months. I will then trim off the texturizer and go natural. (maybe try a weave) Then I will go back to what works for me. PERM!...lol

Stay positive ladies, you can revert your setback - just keep at it.

Nayeli

I'm sure the day went well tdwillis.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have interviews two days in a row and I don't own a brush :drunk: I am tempted to flat iron but I really really really don't want to put any heat on my hair. Then again, I don't want to get up tomorrow and start panicking when I discover a basic bun is giving me trouble.

Last edited:

hopeful

Good luck with your interviews Nayeli. I'm sure you will be beautiful however you decide to wear your hair. Let us know how the interviews go!

I love this thread. It is very comforting.

Khaiya

I used some Suave Daily Moisture Conditioner as a moisturizer today on dry hair and WOOW! My hair feels delicious, its so soft and silky and it feels really moisturized. I'll probably just turn this condish into my moisturizer, lol. You'd never believe i didnt just get a fresh relaxer, i'd take pics but my hubby lost the camCry If i find it though, i'll take some pics immediately.

Maybe you can try something like that Nayeli, it really laid down my NG so my bun is nice and sleek today, no fuzzies or curlies. It looked so sleek i thought about wearing my hair out today but decided to stick to my bun, it really worked wonders though, it might save you having to flat iron. Just be sure to tie it down for a bit after you apply the moisturizer, that just seals the deal.

blkbeauty

Great post!

The great news is that I made APL a few months ago and have even got alittle past it. However the longer my hair grows, the thinner it appears. I think I am going to cut a few inches. Whadda ya think?

Setback: Thinner hair/ends from the use of heat every 5 to 6 weeks
Recovery: No heat and extra vitamins
Timeline: I am not giving a specific time...I just want my hair to recover.

blkbeauty

I'm sure the day went well tdwillis.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have interviews two days in a row and I don't own a brush :drunk: I am tempted to flat iron but I really really really don't want to put any heat on my hair. Then again, I don't want to get up tomorrow and start panicking when I discover a basic bun is giving me trouble.

I hear ya...my setback was the heat. My hair cannot take anything...no perm, no heat, no combing, etc...

I try to get my natural straighten atleast once every 5-6 weeks and just wear it natural in the meantime...this regimen was working, but a couple of week ago when I had got it flat ironed I realized how thin my hair is on one side. The side is also slightly longer that the other side.

I am not sure if I will be applying heat anytime soon.

ceebee3

My protein issues have finally been solved after relaxing at 6 weeks post. For the last 2 weeks I've been deep conditioning and doing hot oil treatments a lot.

I did a protein treatment with emergencee last night and I conditioned with a moisturizing conditioner. I felt the elasticity in my hair and it felt so good. It's no longer breaking and dry but strong and moisturized.

I'm finally back to where I was at the begining of July. The health of my hair has improved the length will come back over time.

pringe

This thread is sOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO needed and im feeling so inspired by reading all these stories.

I realize ladies that our problem is that we get bored and want a change. Or sometimes we feel like we cant cope with our hair at that particular point because there's a hurdle of some sort. You know that usually, if we didn't mess with it there would be a great benefit after. You know that when things seem the hardest is when ur about to hit ur breakthrough??

I think we just have to remain focused and keep our eyes on the prize. Just remain diligent and eventually we will get to our goal. Just continue to baby our hair and it will grow.

Im not just talkin to you guys i'm talking to myself as well

Stay strong!

girlyprincess23

Setback: Bleach Highlights + Demi Color+BKT Heat Step Damage+ Black hair dye= I don't know who's hair this is on my head anymore.:perplexed

Effects: Damaged, frazzled looking breaking ends and shedding. Detangling nightmare. Short pieces sticking up from crown. Hair velcros together. When wet.

Plan of action: Stretching relaxer for the first time. I already trimmed an inch off, but they frizzed right back up which leads me to believe the damage is all the way up the shaft:sad: I am co-washing and DCing every other day and bunning and moisturizing religiously to hopefully preserve my hair (And hopefully strip this "treatment" off). I have toyed with the idea of chopping it all off but decided to wait until I see if I can bring some life back to it. I may get braids for no manipulation.

Estimated Date of Recovery: Wow. I do not know. I am looking forward to all this damaged hair being gone by 12/25/2010. It will be my 2 year nappyversery and I believe I will have cut/ trimmed all the damaged hair off. A recovery I do not know because before this happened (or before I realized what happened) I was between apl and bsl so that length natural probably 12/25/2011.
Estimated date of full recovery: I'm not sure, it all depends how much of the hair I can save and how much will eventually need to be cut. I will say 6 months at least.

OMG!!!!!!!! This is my hair exactly!! It is like a web at the ends when it is wet!!!
I want to join!!

Setback: 3 correctives on the same stretch of hair from underprocessing with a relaxer.

Effects: Same as DesiRae. Hair that breaks from the ends like splinters, hair that turns into a spider web when wet (and subsequently tangles dreadfully and gets ripped/ fall out), and hair that is different lengths in different places from breaking off (in some places in big patches! middle of my head, crown).:sad:

Plan of Action:
Transition to natural with BKT, Try to preserve the relaxed hair I have left as well as encouraging healthy new growth hopefully by getting it cut as blunt as possible to relieve stress from different length strands, babying it with: DC's, hot oil treatments, moisturizing daily, regular protein treatments, and protective low mani/ stress styles, and trying to stay as simple as possible.

Last edited: