Hair emergency!!!...what else is new?

Pumpkin

I am getting worried about the front portion of my hairline, particularly the middle-top part of my head. I appears to be thinnner than the other sides of my head. And because it is in the front, it is noticeable. I stopped wrapping my hair because it cased thinning on one side of my head so I secured my hair in a bun. Now this is happening and i don't know what else to do. Everything else was going fine up until this point. Why can't things go well. Just when I have obtained length and managed my ends this happens. Any advice on solving thinning hair will be GREATLY appreciated.

sweetcocoa

<font color="brown">Just be sure you are not pulling your hair back tightly. I have started noticing the same problem, so I've stopped my bun for now.</font color>

Armyqt

I read something on the old board about apply vitamin e oil to the thinning areas daily. You can burst the caplets or just buy it straight from the bottle. I would recommend going to a healthfood store to get it. Make sure that whatever you're using to secure your hair at night isn't rubbing against your hairline. For now u may want to invest in a satin pillowcase and not wrap the hair with anything.

Don't feel discouraged because the hairline can come back pretty quickly. Also if you are not taking any vitamins, you may want to add some to help speed up the growth. Try some Panthenol, Powdered MSM, and Biotin. Hopefully this will help. Let me know how everything works out for u.

Tracy

I've been avoiding pulling (most of the time) with ponytails and buns, and too much manipulation in that area in conjunction with some Duane Reade 10,000 i.u.'s vitamin E oil (that's a geese tho - I think it that much for the whole BOTTLE and you get about 100 i.u.'s per 2 drops or soemthing) and some ORS Temple Balm and my problem spot in the left side of my hairline is coming back in really nicely. I also think wrapping may be an issue just with thinnning in general, as some people have noted, so I try to swtich up, wrapping one night and doing a high ponytail secured with a peice of a stocking or a satin scrunchie on alternate nights. I just notice the condition of my hair on the left side is not as good as that on the right. It's not bad - but it's not equal and I think constantly wrapping to one side might be why....

Mahalialee4

Re: Hair emergency!!!...Important Check Points for

Buns, ponytails, wraps etc. 1: Be sure that the silk scarf is not tied too tightly or in the SAME place night after night. 2. Restrict the number of times that you comb or brush your hair in the hairline area. We tend to expend more energy, pressure and manipulation on that area than the rest of our hair. If we do not take care we do the same to the ends of our hair. This creates stress. 3. Be sure to moisturize that hairline regularly. Because it gets more manipulation, more brushing (to get that smooth look and keep the little hairs flat that may stick up (little halos), it needs more moisture and not just more product.) 4.Do you wear hats or caps? Do they have hat bands? Do you wear scarves under the hats? 5. Do you push or pull your hair back firmly when you make your bun? Personally, I only wear a bun a couple of times a year and pony tails never, because when I wore them in the past, (buns ) frequently, sometimes daily, tight and later, no matter how carefully, it kept my hairline thin, in the front and in the back. I had a lot of "V" areas in my hairlines. Now, my hairlines are even and full. Yes, there were other problems in the past, but the ponytails, buns and using bobby pins to pin up my hair contributed to my problems. Now this is only my personal experience and NOT AN INDICTMENT ON PONYTAILS, BUNS, ETC. Someone else may never have had or have this same experience with their hair. Bonjour.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I know we really get into protective styling and putting our hair up and all that to achieve length. But you should wear your hair down some also. Carolyn Grey (www.blackwomansguide.com) grew her hair very long and did not use protective styles. Be inspired /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Integrity

i agree with supergirl. if u wear the hair down, just make sure u moisturize with a creamy moisturizer b4 going out.

man, we cannot win! putting the hair up in a bun affects the hairline and leaving it down exposes the ends to th elements!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

notsomebody

I never leave my hair wrapped for very long because it makes my hair TOO Straight, but when I do wrap my hair (usually, the crown is in a bun or on rollers or something to keep it out of my way), I always make sure to moisturize my edges and hairline, Then I apply castor oil to them.
When I take the wrap down (usually left in no longer than an hour), I apply more castor oil.
I think that protective styling is a great way to achieve length, you just have to be careful to acheive it without sacrificing the hair line. If you are noticing that your hair line is thinning, its time to stop with the buns and pony tails, and focus on bringing back the hairline.

My personal favorite for bringing the hairline back is castor oil (that's because I am a cheapskate. My sister uses ORS temple balm, but the castor oil on me is working faster than the ORS is on her, so she is planning to switch). Also, I don't know if you have ever heard of or used this but Nioxin (I think the brand is Niox3 or something similar) is really good at regrowing hair in areas where its has been rubbed or pulled out. I used a dab once a week on my kitchen area after a shampoo, and a month later I had an extra inch on my kitchens.
So I keep it as a back up. I never use a lot and one tiny little bottle of it has lasted forever (I bought it back in the old lhl multicultural board days). Luckily it lasts so long, because I don't remember it being cheap.
Also, remember to do your scalp massages and do a gentle massage of your hairline. I have a scalp tonic that I made out of jojoba, tea tree, and rosemary oil. Its great for the massages and the rosemary oil really stimulates the scalp. Whatever you do, you cannot go wrong with applying castor oil to your hairline twice a day. Once before bed, and once in the morning. You will start to notice results before the month is out.

HTH and keep us posted.

adrienne0914

i'm also having this problem. i want to give the bun a rest also, but am not sure what style to switch to that won't have me manipulating my hair all the time. the shedding is just out of this world now...

adrienne

adrienne0914

supergirl, believe it or not, carolyn gray now belongs to another board that i'm on, and she has started to wear protective styles to help preserve her ends. she said that she's going to do this over the winter since it's cold anyway, and can't wait to see how her hair turns out in the spring.

i know that she does the ponytail method of drying, and uses Caruso rollers to curl. i have yet to try this, but i'm really thinking about giving it a shot. i just think i'll do more harm than good wearing my hair down more. where i'm losing some around my hairline, i'll lose all over from the shedding and extra manipulation. what would you do if you had both of these problems?

adrienne

Brownie

Hello Adrienne,
I tried protective hairsyles such as the bun, and other styles, but lately for a change, I started wearing wigs.
So now all I do is braid and moisturize my hair, cover it with a scarf or stocking cap and slap the wig on. At night, I pay close attention to my edges and ends (moisturize and oil and leave-in conditioner). Since I have started leaving my hair alone it sheds less. I have also tried the ORS temple fertilizing balm and it seems to work. As soon as I get to the store, I will buy some castor oil. As someone mentioned before, African Best Organics also have a product for thinning areas that's a lot cheaper than ORS.

LondonDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Also, I don't know if you have ever heard of or used this but Nioxin (I think the brand is Niox3 or something similar) is really good at regrowing hair in areas where its has been rubbed or pulled out. I used a dab once a week on my kitchen area after a shampoo, and a month later I had an extra inch on my kitchens.
So I keep it as a back up. I never use a lot and one tiny little bottle of it has lasted forever (I bought it back in the old lhl multicultural board days). Luckily it lasts so long, because I don't remember it being cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

NotSomeBody

That Nioxin Product is called NX3 and sounds like a good product. I had it but never used it consistently to see results, but I can tell that is has the properties to cause an inch a month growth, it gives your scalp the tinglies after you apply it.

It's not cheap I know. I purchased a 1.5 oz bottle from ebay for a fraction of the price had it shipped from the USA and with the shipping was still cheaper. Check out ebay for nioxin auctions

Ennyaa

Does anyone know the actual ingredients in NX3? I tried to do a search online but it seems like they don't wanna tell you what's in it specifically.

Mahalialee4

What is the complete name of the product? I would like to purchase some of it. I went to a place yesterday that carries a lot of Nioxin products. So if you could post the trade name of the product so I can make sure to buy the right one, I would appreciate it. Bonjour.

adrienne0914

brownie, i'm too chicken to wear a wig. i just don't see many people here with them. someone in another group that i'm in has that Instant Weave, which looks really good. so i might look for one of those. thanks for the tip though! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mahalia, the name of the Nioxin product is NX3 Follicle Booster. here's a pic of how the bottle looks:

pumpkin, i would suggest trying the vitamin E oil before some of the more expensive products. it does work pretty well. thanks to blkmane, i started adding rosemary and peppermint oil to the liquid one. my scalp tingles immediately, and i have a bunch of fine hairs where it was thinning... now if i could just get the hairs around it to stop shedding, i'd be in business! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne

Hi Pumpkin,

I am trying to be extra careful with my hairline too. I'm now using castor oil mixed with a touch of virgin olive oil nights and mornings.

I did a clearout of the bathroom cupboard and guess what I found? Vitamin E oil! So I've added that now to the oil mix /images/graemlins/grin.gif I do still wrap but I swap to the other direction more often. Plus I swap between using the paddle brush and using my extra wide tooth comb (which to me, pulls less thoroughly than the brush). Also I go for a couple of nights where its just pinned back and covered with a satin scarf (it doesn't come out straight the next day so I just wear it pinned up that day). That's helping a bit too so your not sleeping with wrapped hair 7 nights a week.

Also, I don't know if you workout but if you do, make sure you rinse out after heavy sweating to avoid the salt mixing with the hair in that area. When washing, I also make sure my conditioner is applied to the hairline now. Before I'd just put it on from mid section to the ends 'where moisture's needed the most' kind of thinking....Not now though.

I do think you should def. try either the castor oil,vitamin E combo or one or the other. Also I hear taking B5 helps thicken hair which I've begun taking too for approx one month now. It *does* help /images/graemlins/wink.gif

So far my left side is def. softer than it used to be. Try any of these suggestions and see how you get on. Keep me posted because I'm watching the same area that you are on me.