Trimming... How often when transitioning

musiclova

I don't think that I need a trim but I'm debating whether or not I should anytime soon because I don't trust any stylists here where I live in Raleigh. I am very picky just like I know alot of you are so I need a little help trying to decide where to go just to get a trim because I can style it myself. There are not alot of black hair salons out here with reputable stylists that I know of. The last time my hair was cut into this bob style was September 17 and my ends look fine. It is thick all the way down to the ends but I'm thinking that since I am transitioning I need to trim it anyway just to be on the safe side like every 3 months. Any suggestions?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Trimming all depends on whether you want a trim or not. ;)

I'm transitioning and I would say I do need a trim to even out my hair, but I'm on the "No Trim Challenge." I still want length to my hair, so I'm taking extra care of my hair while I hold on to my relaxed ends. I have thought about getting my hair cut in a short hairstyle, but I just can't stand having "shorter-than-shoulder-length" hair. I plan on cutting all my relaxed ends off either October 2005 or 2006. So it's all a matter or preference. :)

IMHO, it would be a good idea to trim maybe every 2-3 months while you do transition so as you grow your natural hair, you're getting rid of some of those relaxed ends as you go! HTH! :grin:

Last edited:

Peachtree

I trimmed about 1" every 3 or so months during my transition. I rarely wore my hair down... most of the time it was up in a bun. I tried to keep my relaxed ends somewhat decent looking for those rare days that I wore it down in a braidout.

jd_bdfly

Lately I've been trimming a little bit after every wash, which is about once a week. When I first started transitioning (in the first 4 months), I didn't trim much at all. I think you should just do it on an as needed basis. If your ends look fine now, then I don't think you necessarily need to trim now unless you want to.

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
I'm currently trimming my hair when I take my braids out, which is every 6-8 weeks.

I trim at least an inch off each time.

x

Daughter

UK Blak
CharUK said:
I'm currently trimming my hair when I take my braids out, which is every 6-8 weeks.

I trim at least an inch off each time.

x

That was pretty much the way I did it when I transitioned, until about 11 months when I cut off the permed hair - about 3".

belleza

jd_bdfly said:
Lately I've been trimming a little bit after every wash, which is about once a week. When I first started transitioning (in the first 4 months), I didn't trim much at all. I think you should just do it on an as needed basis. If your ends look fine now, then I don't think you necessarily need to trim now unless you want to.

Do you trim your hair yourself?

l0vethyself

I trim whenever my hair starts to "stand up". That is usually about every 2 weeks. I trim about 1/2 an inch off at a time and sometimes 1 inch. It all depends. Most of the back of my hair is completely natural, so I find myself trimming the front more so that it will even out more. I wear a full cap wig while transisitoning, so it is important that as my hair grows, I am trimming so that my cap will lay flat. Hope this helps. :D

lbellin

I trimmed every time I felt I might revert back to the perm. I would do more mini chops....2-3 inches at a time.