"water will make your hair rot!!!"

knt1229

I think what happened to your niece's hair could possibly have something to do with the mineral oil and petroleum waxes that is normally contained in grease. When added to water on the hair strands, the combination may have clogged the cuticles, therefore causing breakage from becoming dry and as a result it prevented added needed moisture from getting into the cuticles of the hair, especially if the hair was not clarified often enough.

This is not to say that your niece's hair was not cleaned on a regular basis, but that it may not have been clarified regularly to prevent the mineral oil/petroleum wax build up on it. I am just trying to think of what may have caused the breakage. I don't think it was the grease or the water individually but the actual combination of both that caused the breakage. We all know that product build-up can not really come off with regular poos unfortunately. I have learned this myself, the hard way. What are your thoughts?
Thank you. I didn't know how to say that as intelligently as you.

Auburn

I dont know whats more disgusting: The mere THOUGHT of hair rotting or someone actually saying some BS like this... my people, my people :rolleyes:

Denise11

My family is clean and nobody in my family has had hair rot, mold, mildew, or just mysteriously break off when they were caring for it and washing it.

FWIW, I wasn't trying to insult you but hair doesn't just dry out and break off unless something wasn't right. I have never heard of grease and water alone causing hair to turn to wool and break off especially since you said your niece had been using the grease for years.

You better go sit down somewhere, before I get angry.

Does anyone know what you, or your hair look like???? No, and I know why.

Last edited:

Denise11

You hit the nail on the head Aggie.

My daughter and I were discussing it and we came to almost the exact conclusions! Clarifying being the main culprit!

I think what happened to your niece's hair could possibly have something to do with the mineral oil and petroleum waxes that is normally contained in grease. When added to water on the hair strands, the combination may have clogged the cuticles, therefore causing breakage from becoming dry and as a result it prevented added needed moisture from getting into the cuticles of the hair, especially if the hair was not clarified often enough.

This is not to say that your niece's hair was not cleaned on a regular basis, but that it may not have been clarified regularly to prevent the mineral oil/petroleum wax build up on it. I am just trying to think of what may have caused the breakage. I don't think it was the grease or the water individually but the actual combination of both that caused the breakage. We all know that product build-up can not really come off with regular poos unfortunately. I have learned this myself, the hard way. What are your thoughts?

moonglowdiva

Interestingly enough my beautician said the same thing and to some degree if something is constantly wet and never dried it will rot. But I have not had this problem.

MsEllie

Wow, other nationalities never have this problem and they've washed everyday for forever.. It's just our nationality that had a problem with water and the hair connecting. I don't wash every day but I am washing more now than ever and my hair loves it..

dynamic1

No. The grease didn't do it.

My neice used that grease for many years and her hair was BEAUTIFUL. It wasn't until my sister used water with it, that it turned to wool and broke off.

And her hair was NOT dirty. We always had our hair washed 3x a week. My family always did this.

LACK OF CARE?? My family has always had great haircare practices. I don't know about your family, but my family stays clean.

Dirty?!?! Lack of care?!?! I feel like you've insulted me!

Washed 3x a week with shampoo? That could be the culprit in addition to the build up from the grease. My hair would dry up into a dust ball and blow away in the wind if I used shampoo 3x aweek. Shampoo is a four letter word to me and as a natural, I rarely have a good experience with it. Growing up, my sis would wet her hair and use mineral based hir products or lotion to make it curl up during the summers. She did not shampoo as frequently and suffered no ill effects.

Back on topic - I have never heard of hair that dry rots. However, I can see how airdrying without sealing could lead to dryness and breakage (especially on "texlaxed" and natural hair where the cuticles are not smooth).

Denise11

I wash my hair 3x a week now. I've always done it, and we have beautiful hair in our family. We always dry it afterwards, and there's never been a problem.

Some people can actually wash their hair multiple times a week. It's not only white people that washes often.

Read Aggie's response. I think this is the right answer.

Washed 3x a week with shampoo? That could be the culprit in addition to the build up from the grease. My hair would dry up into a dust ball and blow away in the wind if I used shampoo 3x aweek. Shampoo is a four letter word to me and as a natural, I rarely have a good experience with it. Growing up, my sis would wet her hair and use mineral based hir products or lotion to make it curl up during the summers. She did not shampoo as frequently and suffered no ill effects.

Back on topic - I have never heard of hair that dry rots. However, I can see how airdrying without sealing could lead to dryness and breakage (especially on "texlaxed" and natural hair where the cuticles are not smooth).

SmartyPants

was what i was told by my beautician in regards to braidout or airdrying. Now i never fell for the hype but always wanted to know if there was some truth behind it now that i'm co-washing and doing braidouts this summer
:scratchch what are your thoughts?

TIA

I'm sorry... but some folks just should not be given a cosmetology license!:nono::nono::nono:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I haven't been to her shop in 2 years..I've just been focusing on getting my hair healthy but i just didn't trust what she was saying...who knows maybe that was her way of keeping clients

If you bun and never dry it out, day after day...that can make it mushy for a time until it dries...and moldy. But she honestly sounds like these old hairdressers that mistake water for kryptonite.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Wow, other nationalities never have this problem and they've washed everyday for forever.. It's just our nationality that had a problem with water and the hair connecting. I don't wash every day but I am washing more now than ever and my hair loves it..

And I wonder why...."never ever let a kink form...dem white people will know we'z nigras" kinda mentality :grin:

Junebug D

What? Is there off-the-scale crusty, terrible, dirty, undrinkable well water in her area or something? :lol:

sevetlana

I have heard that before.. some one at school says she HAS to use heat to dry her hair or it will get a fungus or rot (according to her hairdresser). Needless to say her already non- thick hair is thinner.

dynamic1

I wash my hair 3x a week now. I've always done it, and we have beautiful hair in our family. We always dry it afterwards, and there's never been a problem.

Some people can actually wash their hair multiple times a week. It's not only white people that washes often.

Read Aggie's response. I think this is the right answer.

I read the Aggie's post prior to posting, hence my statement "in addition to the build up from the grease". I am just giving another possibility. Also, when I relaxed sulfate shampoo did not pose a problem for me either. However, there are many who will concur that shampoo (sulfates) can dry out textured hair. This belief was the catalyst for all the no-poo products and co-washing, especially for textured hair.

Referring to the bold, I am aware of the myths, this isn't my first rodeo. :lachen:I wash my hair 3-5 times per week as well. I was referring to the use of traditional shampoo on some textured hair.

joib

I haven't been to her shop in 2 years..I've just been focusing on getting my hair healthy but i just didn't trust what she was saying...who knows maybe that was her way of keeping clients

She keeps her clients by scare tactics? I don't think I could continue to sit there with a straight face.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
No. The grease didn't do it.

My neice used that grease for many years and her hair was BEAUTIFUL. It wasn't until my sister used water with it, that it turned to wool and broke off.

And her hair was NOT dirty. We always had our hair washed 3x a week. My family always did this.

LACK OF CARE?? My family has always had great haircare practices. I don't know about your family, but my family stays clean.

Dirty?!?! Lack of care?!?! I feel like you've insulted me!

Dude, calm down. She wasn't insulting you. But for someone's hair to be breaking off, only having used grease and water, well.....I, too, doubt it'd be the water :perplexed But whatever.

....this can't be life :wallbash:

Last edited:

Solitude

Your response made a lot of sense, but....

My mother and aunts used water and grease/mineral oil and petroleum products with water in my hair for years and years. It was always thick and healthy, and it was certainly never clarified. Washed maybe every 2 weeks. We weren't dirty. That's just the way it was. I remember in Victoria Rowling's book she talked about how they lived on a farm and her hair was washed only once a month. In fact, my hair was healthiest/longest when I used dax hair grease daily and washed and styled only every 2 weeks.

I'm just chiming in because I don't think there is anything wrong with grease or water, or a combination of the two. If so, NOBODY would have had hair back in the day; yet people were using grease and most ppl had hair much longer than the average black woman's hair now.

I can see a problem from one's hair never getting a chance to fully dry with wet bunning w/o frequent washing or co-washing.

knt1229

Girl you can get angry if you want to but I didn't post a "story" about my niece's hair turning to wool and breaking off. You did. Like I said I wasn't trying to insult you. And since you are so clean and practice good hair care practices then why would you get angry. If the shoe doesn't fit keep it moving.

Denise11

I understand what you're saying, but that is not the case in this situation. We still wash 3x a week with sulfates, with no problem. Some people's hair, ours for example, is not harmed by sulfates.

I read the Aggie's post prior to posting, hence my statement "in addition to the build up from the grease". I am just giving another possibility. Also, when I relaxed sulfate shampoo did not pose a problem for me either. However, there are many who will concur that shampoo (sulfates) can dry out textured hair. This belief was the catalyst for all the no-poo products and co-washing, especially for textured hair.

Referring to the bold, I am aware of the myths, this isn't my first rodeo. :lachen:I wash my hair 3-5 times per week as well. I was referring to the use of traditional shampoo on some textured hair.

Denise11

Dude, calm down. She wasn't insulting you. But for someone's hair to be breaking off, only having used grease and water, well.....I, too, doubt it'd be the water :perplexed But whatever.

....this can't be life :wallbash:

P pot, I'm not a dude. I'm a beautiful, sexy woman. And I'll respond to anyone however I want.

Bye.

song_of_serenity

I hope this will be one of those threads people look back on and realize in the heat of the moment they responded more aggressively than they should have. :/ Stuff is not that serious especially when a person has said time and time again they didn't "mean it that way"

Anyway, we can always count on you for breaking it down Aggie!

ccd

:look: