Let God's Peace Serve as an Umpire For Your Mind and Emotions!

Raspberry

Excerpt from Rick Renner's Sparkling Gems From the Greek
http://www.sparkling-gems.com/

Let God's Peace Serve as an Umpire
For Your Mind and Emotions!

And let the peace of God rule in your hearts,
to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
— Colossians 3:15

Have you ever had one of those days when there was so much confusion whirling around your head that you felt like screaming, “STOP”?

From time to time, everyone has that kind of a day. And when you do, your temptation is probably either to get in the flesh and react to someone in an ugly way or to get depressed, go to bed, and forget about it all. However, you know that neither choice will help you solve the problems you are facing.

Rather than throw in the towel and give way to these emotions that want to get the best of you, why not stop right now and make a decision to let the Word of God rule you today? When I say “rule” you, I’m talking about God’s supernatural peace dominating and governing every emotion and situation that confronts you. If you don’t make this decision and follow through with it, worry, fear, insecurity, doubt, and a whole host of other emotions will assuredly try to take control. And there is no worse rollercoaster ride than when you are being knocked all over the place by emotions that are out of control!

Instead, let the peace of God rule in your heart, as Paul wrote in Colossians 3:15. He said, “And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.” I especially want you to notice the word “rule” in this verse. It is from the Greek word brabeuo, which in ancient times was used to describe the umpire or referee who moderated and judged the athletic competitions that were so popular in the ancient world.

Paul uses this word to tell us that the peace of God can work like an umpire or referee in our hearts, minds, and emotions. When detrimental emotions attempt to exert control over us or try to throw us into an emotional frenzy, we can stop it from happening by making the choice to let God’s peace rise up from deep inside us like an umpire or referee to moderate our emotions. As we do, we will be kept under the control of that divine peace as it rules in our hearts. When this divine umpire called “peace” steps into the game, it suddenly begins to call the shots and make all the decisions instead of fretfulness, anxiety, and worry.

Colossians 3:15 could be translated:
“Let the peace of God call the shots in your life....”
“Let the peace of God be the umpire in your life and actions....”
“Let the peace of God act as referee in your emotions and your decisions....”

Even though it’s true that everyone has hard days and difficult weeks, you don’t have to surrender to those emotions that try to steal your joy, disturb your relationships, and rob you of your victory. When you feel overwhelmed by problems or emotions that are hitting you from every direction, just stop a moment and deliberately set your heart and mind on Jesus and the Word of God. As you do this, the wonderful, conquering, dominating, supernatural peace of God will rise up from your spirit and take control!

My Prayer for Today

Lord, I don't want to let my emotions get the best of me today, so I ask that Your peace would rise up like a mighty umpire and referee in my heart, mind, and emotions. Help me recognize those moments when unhelpful emotions try to sneak up on me. I ask You to teach me how to put those
emotions aside and release Your supernatural peace that is resident in my heart — the peace that is always ready at every moment to moderate every thought and emotion that tries to pass into my life!
I pray this in Jesus’ name!

My Confession for Today
I confess that God's supernatural peace dominates me. When I am tempted to get upset and my emotionstry to take control of me, I put these emotions aside and allow the Spirit of God to release a supernatural, dominating, moderating peace to rule my heart, mind, and emotions!
I declare this by faith in Jesus’ name!

Questions for You to Consider
1. Do you recognize moments when your emotions try to throw you into an emotional tizzy and steal your peace and joy?
2. Have you asked God to help you overcome these moments?
3. What steps can you take to quiet yourself so you can focus on God’s Word and allow the peace of God to rise up and referee what is going on inside your heart, mind, and emotions?

=================================

Gaining and maintaining peace has become an huge theme in my life as a tool for overcoming everyday stress and trial. Jesus gave us the gift of His peace and we are commanded to actively seek out and pursue peace. I've realized I am truly missing out on a when I neglect pursuing peace in my heart and mind. It is hard to be led by the Holy Spirit over the wrangling of a fretful and confused mind and in these times we cannot afford to be at the mercy of fickle emotions and miss what God has for us.

I've been declaring and confessing (out loud) the Words about peace on a daily basis and over time I've noticed a drastic improvement in how I respond to stressful or hurtful situations.

Last edited:

jazzerz

I'm using my phone, so I can't just hit the thank-you button. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF app

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Thanks again Ras! An in-season Word for me as well... must remember I have authority over all that tries to trouble my peace that Abba gifted to me. Being still and at peace doesn't mean not doing anything spiritually. Much like when Jesus was sleeping during the stormy seas and his disciples were freaking out.
Had they trusted God and 'rested', they'd have exercised their faith in God greatly!

Raspberry

Being still and at peace doesn't mean not doing anything spiritually.
Laela You don't even know how much I needed to hear this. It's been taking more for me to my dig heels in spiritually lately but I also know that as you grow spiritually God requires more faith and discipline than he does when you're a baby.

Had they trusted God and 'rested', they'd have exercised their faith in God greatly!
True - I'm learning that one of the major purposes of peace manifesting in the life of the believer is to enable us to have to have the strength and clarity to put our faith to work. Peace guards our hearts and mind from fear and distraction but in that place and of rest we now should be doing whatever God is calling us to in a particular place and season.

It is from that place of peace and trust that God loves to show out to His own glory and for our benefit.

Thanks Laela! Time for me to work for the Kingdom...

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
To God be the Glory...

:bighug:

@Laela You don't even know how much I needed to hear this. It's been taking more for me to my dig heels in spiritually lately but I also know that as you grow spiritually God requires more faith and discipline than he does when you're a baby.

True - I'm learning that one of the major purposes of peace manifesting in the life of the believer is to enable us to have to have the strength and clarity to put our faith to work. Peace guards our hearts and mind from fear and distraction but in that place and of rest we now should be doing whatever God is calling us to in a particular place and season.

It is from that place of peace and trust that God loves to show out to His own glory and for our benefit.

Thanks Laela! Time for me to work for the Kingdom...