Flaxseed the cause of stomache cramps/diarrhea?

Mizani_Mrs

Sorry to be so graphic. I posted yesterday about i stopped taking my daily flax seed pill and after a week i started back getting dandruff. Also during this period I suffered from stomache cramps and diarrhea when i'd eat something. So i was wondering if they were related. I searched the net and a few sites mentioned that flax seed keeps you 'regular'.

So has anyone else who has used flax seed and stopped. Did you have any ill effects? Then again, i am not sure these 2 instances are related, i am just trying to figure out why my tummy has been bothering me for the past week.... :ohwell:

czyfaith77

I don't know, but I will keep an eye on it. I take Flaxseed oil in my orange juice or either in my protein shakes. Flaxseeds are also in my cereal. The cereal is really inexpensive but is packed with alot of good stuff. It is called Uncle Sam's. It kinda remind me of Wheaties (the taste- a bran flake) with whole flaxseed and omega three. It cost under two bucks. I buy it at Super Wal-mart. I eat it with Silk Very Vanilla Soymilk ( which I love. It's lactose free)

gn1g

flax is a perfect cure for constipation and it will give you the runs be careful.

Queenie

Mizani_Mrs said:
Sorry to be so graphic. I posted yesterday about i stopped taking my daily flax seed pill and after a week i started back getting dandruff. Also during this period I suffered from stomache cramps and diarrhea when i'd eat something. So i was wondering if they were related. I searched the net and a few sites mentioned that flax seed keeps you 'regular'.

So has anyone else who has used flax seed and stopped. Did you have any ill effects? Then again, i am not sure these 2 instances are related, i am just trying to figure out why my tummy has been bothering me for the past week.... :ohwell:

I get this when I eat Kashi Good Friends cereal. I feel fine once I have a bowel movement. It works like clockwork ~3 hours after having the cereal. Flaxseed doesn't do that to me however.

kitchen_tician

I take liquid flaxseed oil, but it gives me the opposite effect. It makes me a little constipated, so I don't take it everyday.

Mizani_Mrs

Yep guys I did a little search on the net and I've confirmed that flaxseed can cause diarrhea/cramping. Or constipation in some folks. It is even recommended to treat constipation. There are alot of other things flaxseed is a cure for...I don't have the link at home so I'll be sure to post when i get back to work. But yea my stomach has been hurting ever since i started taking 1 flax pill a day...I dind't know what it was. Now after like 3weeks of daily use, my stomache cramps badly for 5mins, like 2hrs after i eat anything and then i have to run to the restroom. After that, I feel better (until the next meal). It's probably because I was already 'regular' so this supplement is too much for my system. So with that being said...I'm giving up this supplement....It prevents my dandruff but it isn't worth it. Maybe i'll try the flax cereal mentioned and see how that works....

SO PLEASE LADIES, BE CAREFUL WHEN USING THIS SUPPLEMENT....

Avaya

Mizani_Mrs said:

I too am allergic to flaxseed. In addition to stomach cramps and diarrhea it also caused me to wheeze and have difficulty breathing. I take fish oil now with no side effects.