Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

MzRhonda

My last blow out and straighten was my best since my relaxed days. I think the key was having minimal product on my hair and dc'ing overnight with sm manuka honey, which made my hair super soft. I kept my hair straight for almost 2 weeks though I did start to have some reversion.

Yes!!!

I was reading this thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431336

and I swear by that method now.......my hair feels wonderful, I can't keep my hands out of my hair. I will never go back to the way I was doing my hair. I use less product and it is a much quicker process.

I prefer my hair straight and I haven't mastered the wash n go yet.

This method gets a :up: :up:

Eboni801

I'm 4b/c and my blowouts last about a month. I prepoo overnight with aloe vera juice and coconut oil. Then I shampoo and deep condition (Nexxus Emergencee) followed by Keracare Humecto. Once my hair is clean I add Chi Silk Infusion and blow it out with a paddle brush. I actually get it done at a Dominican salon. I don't have the patience to do it myself and I honestly haven't perfected the blowdry technique on natural hair.

I am still working on my technique but I found this YouTube video that really helped for my blow out.
http://youtu.be/LkdYWro-6wY

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I got a rollerset yesterday and she blew out my roots. My hair is getting much easier to detangle and rollerset. Usually she has a hard time doing it. I'm still on the search for a deep conditioner that melts tangles.

mz.rae

Today trying out another salon! I hope he isn't scissor happy, but from his pictures he seems to really be into healthy natural hair versus just trimming ends and flat ironing. Will post the final look when done.

mz.rae

Here's the finished look! I think he did a really good job. He informed me of all the products he was using and their purpose. And he explained the different procedures that he does. I am very pleased with the service so far. He did say something about my ends and when I told him they were last trimmed a few weeks ago he was shocked and said it didn't look like they did a thorough job. He said next time I come in he was going to do a steam treatment on my hair so he can really get a look at my ends. I like that he wasn't pushy and has a good knowledge of healthy hair practices. I will be going back to him on the 31st.

ForumRunner_20150109_180637.jpg

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Have any of you used Alter Ego as a Dc before you straightened your hair? I have a huge tub of it and I need to use it before I buy anything else.

jprayze

Have any of you used Alter Ego as a Dc before you straightened your hair? I have a huge tub of it and I need to use it before I buy anything else.

Alter ego just goes on your scalp so you can still put something else on the length of your hair. I use it before straightening.

Blairx0

Here's the finished look! I think he did a really good job. He informed me of all the products he was using and their purpose. And he explained the different procedures that he does. I am very pleased with the service so far. He did say something about my ends and when I told him they were last trimmed a few weeks ago he was shocked and said it didn't look like they did a thorough job. He said next time I come in he was going to do a steam treatment on my hair so he can really get a look at my ends. I like that he wasn't pushy and has a good knowledge of healthy hair practices. I will be going back to him on the 31st.

View attachment 292655

not a member of this thread, but had to pop in and say that sounds like a great experience. I wish I could find someone like that in Chicago.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I misted my ends with aloe vera juice so my hair isn't bone straight anymore. It has some texture now so my buns will look fuller.

mz.rae

not a member of this thread, but had to pop in and say that sounds like a great experience. I wish I could find someone like that in Chicago.

Yes, I'm really pleased with the results and service. I really hope you are able to find someone, I know a good stylist can be really hard to find.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
How often are you ladies trimming or dusting? I get one professional trim a year, but I do a search and destroy every few months.

Britt

How often are you ladies trimming or dusting? I get one professional trim a year, but I do a search and destroy every few months.

I'm a new natural, but I've had my hair trimmed 2x so far. I got a trim the other day and that was exactly 3 months from my last trim. I'll prob get another trim between 12-16 weeks.

Victorian

old head
Rejoining LHCF after being away for a long time. I included a hair goal in my yearly goals for 2015 so I wanted to return to the land of the hair-obsessed :lol:
I've been primarily wearing my hair straight for years now (I'm sure I posted in this thread in the past a bunch of times), but I want to take things to the next level on length retention and doing some better styling.

My recent change to my regimen is curling my hair with the flat iron as I straighten it. I really like that it gives me a more voluminous look, as my hair is very fine and not thick. I haven't quite mastered getting perfectly smooth curls (I still get those weird bumps and angles sometimes) but that's what I'll be working on.

I also want to learn how to wrap my hair, as I know going to bed in a bun/ponytail all the time isn't great for my mid-lengths.

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
Victorian that's how I curl my hair. It takes practice but soon you'll be curling with your eyes closed. I just got a heavier flat iron and I'm still getting used to the weight.

kupenda

Im ashamed to say I havent had a trim since September or December of 2013. I've dusted and whatnot on my own. And my stylist trimmed my bangs in October. But thats it. Id like to get a trim two to four times a year, as I frequently have drama with my ends

Nefertiti0906

I've consistently been a straight haired natural since September 2014, getting my hair done every 2-3 weeks.

My hair dresser blow drys my hair and then she curls it with a curling iron. She does straighten my edges around the perimeter of my head.

The only thing now that I'm still seeking is a moisturizer. I bought the Moroccan brand argan oil but I'm not sure if it will do any good because it's an oil. I'm also massaging my edges with castor oil. Actually not sure if I need a moisturizer...

If you ladies have any suggestion for a moisturizer for my strands, it would be greatly appreciated!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
^^^Neutrogena silk touch cream is really light and it moisturizes my hair really well. Other than that I use Hello Hydration conditioner mixed with aloe juice

Adiatasha

I went for a consult with a natural hair salon in south Florida

I was inquiring about a blowout.
She said that they wash your hair.. Add a treatment then place you under the dryer to get some of the moisture out and then blowdry.

I've always had my hair blowdried wet. The way they are describing seems like I'll have breakage. I have 4c APL hair .

Thoughts anyone?

ajargon02

She said that they wash your hair.. Add a treatment then place you under the dryer to get some of the moisture out and then blowdry.

I've always had my hair blowdried wet. The way they are describing seems like I'll have breakage. I have 4c APL hair .

Thoughts anyone?

I am worried about all that heat & all the moisture blow drying 2x will suck out of your hair. Now I don't use heat, so I am not the best one to ask. Maybe someone can come in here and give you some advice.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I went for a consult with a natural hair salon in south Florida I was inquiring about a blowout. She said that they wash your hair.. Add a treatment then place you under the dryer to get some of the moisture out and then blowdry. I've always had my hair blowdried wet. The way they are describing seems like I'll have breakage. I have 4c APL hair . Thoughts anyone?

Sounds about right. After my stylist washes/conditions my hair, she applies a heat protectant, put it in 2 big twists with clips at the base (to apply tension). I sit under the dryer for 30 mins then she blow dries my hair straight with a paddle brush for about 3-5 minutes. Cuts down on the amount of direct heat usage.

Adiatasha

Sounds about right. After my stylist washes/conditions my hair, she applies a heat protectant, put it in 2 big twists with clips at the base (to apply tension). I sit under the dryer for 30 mins then she blow dries my hair straight with a paddle brush for about 3-5 minutes. Cuts down on the amount of direct heat usage.

Thanks. I will give it a try

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse

Thoughts anyone?
I have 4c apl as and all they do is shampoo, towel dry and blow dry my hair with a round brush. Every now and then I get a roller set and she blows my roots afterwards. Her technique is on point so I don't get breakage unless she is rough with my rollerset.

mz.rae

Went back to the guy who did my hair last time. He deep conditioned my hair and used a lot of products to help with my dry scalp. He took a look at my ends and only trimmed a little bit. So I'm with the person that called bs on the girl from the other salon that said I had 3 inches worth of split ends. I think I have finally found someone I want to stick with.

ForumRunner_20150131_151332.jpg

coolsista-paris

Went back to the guy who did my hair last time. He deep conditioned my hair and used a lot of products to help with my dry scalp. He took a look at my ends and only trimmed a little bit. So I'm with the person that called bs on the girl from the other salon that said I had 3 inches worth of split ends. I think I have finally found someone I want to stick with.

you are lucky you found someone good. i wish i had a good stylist.
im still a diy er. afraid to trust stylists. :-/

Kaitlynrs91

I'm so frustrated that I spent all day flag ironing my sisters hair and it poofed up after 5 mins!! What am I missing?! I blow dried, heat protectant and smoothing serum, flat iron on 350-375! And comb chase method

ronie

I'm so frustrated that I spent all day flag ironing my sisters hair and it poofed up after 5 mins!! What am I missing?! I blow dried, heat protectant and smoothing serum, flat iron on 350-375! And comb chase method
Maybe a super duper moisturizing deep conditioner before you started. Also, as a high porosity girl, I need some type of protein in my deep conditioner to reduce frizz. Although the focus should be on moisture, I use a moderate amount of protein before straightening. Or it could be that her hair is very resistant, and you needed to increase the heat. Hope next time is better. At least you didn't damage her hair.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse

View attachment 295481

That was me :lol: I'm glad you found a good stylist. I'm happy with my Dominican lady, but I would love a more gentle stylist that specialized in kinky natural hair. I wish I lived closer to Reniece or Moknowshair :yep:

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
So I'm OFFICIALLY here. I have finally given up the battle against SSKs. The last time I gave up the battle, I folded and re-relaxed after 21 months post. I don't want that to happen again. I long-term transitioned, now I'm almost 25 months post and the SSKs have been rearing their ugly head for many months. I've been snipping here and there, but it's no good - no amount of moisture, sealing, acv, ajv, no/low manipulation is preventing these SSKs. The only way to defeat them is to keep my hair straight. (I've been experimenting with this.)

2 days ago I trimmed A LOT, like I'm back to a little above APL -- I was way below it. I blow dried and then did 2 passes on 380. I used It's a 10 when I blow dried and Keracare Cream Press when I flat ironed. It came out great!

Next time I'm going to skip the blow dryer and just stretch my hair overnight. I'm experimenting with Keracare Overnight Moisturizing Treatment on my straight hair. Any other support or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I hope to be BSB by December. I was aiming for MBL, but after this cut, I don't see it happening.

Jace032000

So I'm OFFICIALLY here. I have finally given up the battle against SSKs. The last time I gave up the battle, I folded and re-relaxed after 21 months post. I don't want that to happen again. I long-term transitioned, now I'm almost 25 months post and the SSKs have been rearing their ugly head for many months. I've been snipping here and there, but it's no good - no amount of moisture, sealing, acv, ajv, no/low manipulation is preventing these SSKs. The only way to defeat them is to keep my hair straight. (I've been experimenting with this.) 2 days ago I trimmed A LOT, like I'm back to a little above APL -- I was way below it. I blow dried and then did 2 passes on 380. I used It's a 10 when I blow dried and Keracare Cream Press when I flat ironed. It came out great! Next time I'm going to skip the blow dryer and just stretch my hair overnight. I'm experimenting with Keracare Overnight Moisturizing Treatment on my straight hair. Any other support or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I hope to be BSB by December. I was aiming for MBL, but after this cut, I don't see it happening.

Welcome!!
I've been wearing my hair straight for 2 years and rarely ever see a SSK!