For those who are married.......

missbugg21

Does your spouse give you a hair care budget?

I ask because I woke up this morning from a text from my husband saying that I spent $300 on hair products last month, so I'm banned from buying anything for my hair this month! :perplexed

In my defense, this was the first time I stocked up on products in over a year...I guess it was just sticker-shock to him. :lol:

I'm stressing out a little on what I'm gonna do...especially since I'm out of DC. I guess I'll be DIY'ing it with homemade mixes this month! :yep: :yep:

What about you guys? Anyone else have these same kinds of discussions with their spouses??

SuchaLady

I'm not married but I'm just wondering do you work or do you stay at home? I have a terrible shopping problem and will probably always work because of it :giggle: I wouldn't do well with someone telling me what I can't buy if I get up and work every day :look:

missbugg21

I'm not married but I'm just wondering do you work or do you stay at home? I have a terrible shopping problem and will probably always work because of it :giggle: I wouldn't do well with someone telling me what I can't buy if I get up and work every day :look:

Yes, I do work and I know a lot of people who would agree with you. :yep: In our home, my husband handles the finances. He does give me lots of wiggle room and doesn't say much when I shop, but I guess $300 in one month on my HAIR was a bit too much for him. :lol:

We have 3 kids and we all use the same products, so I think I'll use that as my defense!! lol

TwistedRoots

Back2Life Back2ReLaxer!
We aren't married yet but we have consolidated finances... I don't have a "budget" per say but we are coming out of pocket for our wedding. Even still I know he is frugal so I wait for "sales" and convince him that it's necessary. :look:

As for hair care products in general I have a box of hair care stuff and most of the time he doesn't know what's new or old unless I speak on it. Lol also what in the world did you stock up on?!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
We just went wig shopping today. He doesn't trip on how much I spend, because he knows I always get a lot for my $$. I use coupon codes, shop online sales, etc. As long as I look nice and I'm happy, he's happy.

sunnieb

Joint accounts and I always buy what I want for my personal care. No issues.

I do plan big purchases so as not to shock our monthly budget though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

SuchaLady

Yes! Use that. $300 of products that will last awhile for 4 heads isnt bad. Or you could take everyone to the hair salon next month and let him see how much it would cost for a one time visit. Just an idea :look::lol:

Yes, I do work and I know a lot of people who would agree with you. :yep: In our home, my husband handles the finances. He does give me lots of wiggle room and doesn't say much when I shop, but I guess $300 in one month on my HAIR was a bit too much for him. :lol:

We have 3 kids and we all use the same products, so I think I'll use that as my defense!! lol

sunnieb

Remind him that having a head full of pretty hair don't come cheap.

Our son uses my NTM, shampoo, and ORS Carrrot Oil too.

It's a family expense. :yep:

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
We just went wig shopping today. He doesn't trip on how much I spend, because he knows I always get a lot for my $$. I use coupon codes, shop online sales, etc. As long as I look nice and I'm happy, he's happy.

Yep, same here. (Although he put me on a 1 month ban from Amazon....that expires in 6 days! My wishlist is ready!)

Was it asked already, but um how'd you spend $300 and didn't get any DC?

Last edited:

Amarilles

This is funny and cute :lol:

I would've told DH before spending it but he's normally very cool. Then again he's a libra, you know they love the finer things in life so he could never come for me. Lol. He handles the finances but we both ask each other before spending a lot on something. He just got a $700 robot vacuum thing "on discount" and last month I got $100 razor...we asked each other for both of those. While we're not particularly frugal, neither of us shops much and we aren't spendy with our ordinary purchases.

I do wonder what you got though?! :lol:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Yep, same here. (Although he put me on a 1 month band from Amazon....that expires in 6 days! My wishlist is ready!)

That is too cute! I stay on Amazon. What all did u buy to get banned?

missbugg21

Lol also what in the world did you stock up on?!

LOL! It was actually a lot of small-ticket items. I finally dove headfirst into the world of Ayurveda and purchased lots of powders and oils. I also re-stocked my staples: Raw Shea butter, Parachute Coconut Oil, Eco Styler Argan Oil gel. I also bought my first set of Curlformers and some supplies to make a wig (hair, needles, thread, dome cap, lace, etc.), this included my Manetabolism vitamins, too. :yep:

You don't have your own discretionary income?

I have an account that I have $100 direct deposited into each payday. It's not a secret or anything but I don't usually spend it all on myself. I usually end up spending most of that money on stuff for my kids or the house (since our other money is bill money).

Yes! Use that. $300 of products that will last awhile for 4 heads isnt bad. Or you could take everyone to the hair salon next month and let him see how much it would cost for a one time visit. Just an idea :look::lol:

:lol: Right?? I know he wouldn't be happy about that salon bill! Good advice!! LOL

Remind him that having a head full of pretty hair don't come cheap.

Our son uses my NTM, shampoo, and ORS Carrrot Oil too.

It's a family expense. :yep:

Yes!! This is so true!! lol

Yep, same here. (Although he put me on a 1 month band from Amazon....that expires in 6 days! My wishlist is ready!)

LOL at the ban from Amazon! That would be me, too. I bought DC at the beginning of the month, but I'm almost out already and need to refill. I usually only buy 1-2 bottles at a time. :ohwell:

missbugg21

This is funny and cute :lol:

I would've told DH before spending it but he's normally very cool. Then again he's a libra, you know they love the finer things in life so he could never come for me. Lol. He handles the finances but we both ask each other before spending a lot on something. He just got a $700 robot vacuum thing "on discount" and last month I got $100 razor...we asked each other for both of those. While we're not particularly frugal, neither of us shops much and we aren't spendy with our ordinary purchases.

I do wonder what you got though?! :lol:

We do the same...it always works out. I just usually have to wait a little while for the bigger-ticket items.

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
That is too cute! I stay on Amazon. What all did u buy to get banned?

Prettymetty
My kids snitched me out and told DH that I get boxes in the mail from Amazon all the time! They said because nothing ever comes in the boxes for them! Darn kids! :lachen: I buy vitamins, hair stuff, gadgets for the house...girl anything! And why did I just discover that as a college student I get FREE Prime for 6 months and then it's half price after that! It's gonna be on in 6 days!

naturalmanenyc

No, we don't have a budget although I do track expenses and can tell you how much we spent on miscellaneous/hair care items for the past few years. I've spent a large chunk at once on tools like Pibbs dryer, steamer and Runway flat iron but those are not yearly purchases.

DH gets his hair done about every 2 weeks so he doesn't say much about my hair care purchases. He only notices that I got something new when a package arrives after he gets home, damn Amazon 9 pm deliveries.

greenandchic

We budget and though I have a fair amount of wiggle room when it comes to beauty and hair, I was never a big spender so he never questions me on what I buy. He only needs shampoo and gel but he knows I need a lot more so its never up for discussion.:lol: I never spent $300 in one month though, I'm sure that would make him raise is brows at me.

Rnjones

Not married but living together. He does what he wants with his money and I do what I want with mine. No questions asked and no judgements passed. We are both good savers so we trust each other not to be reckless with money.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

reeko43

We have a joint account for the big bills. After that we take care of our own expenses. I am not a shopper, don't eat steak or lobster, don't wear makeup, leathers or furs. My only splurges are hair products and running shoes. Whenever I buy anything DH is overjoyed, Lol!

ronie

We both work, and we split everything 50/50. DH handles the finances. He has full access to my account. Each pay day he transfers out my 50% for the bills and for savings. What's left is all mines and he doesn't care what I do with it. If I am low on cash, I would go to either his account or our savings. I also have full access to his account, but i try not to remember that. His account always has money. Mines can barely stay on the positive by the next payday. So I always end up transferring some money from his account to my account to last me until next pay check. He doesn't say anything as long as it is under $100. I always end up spending my personal money on the house anyways or on our daughter. She has her own budget, but I you know my little diva needs extras, lolll.

ManeStreet

Split it up next time. $300 one month looks more shocking than $150 two months in a row. Splitting it up will keep you under the radar and it's less likely to throw off the budget.

discodumpling

I'm currently not working :) but I usually am.

We have joint checking and savings and individual checking and savings. My hair money comes from my separate $$. His sneaker money (and whatever else he spends his coins on) comes from his stash...and though we both raise eyebrows when the packages come LOL I would never question his purchases cause that will give him the right to question mine.

Joigirl

I am the primary breadwinner and I manage our finances. I get to spend what I want and I know how much I am comfortable spending. He doesn't like to spend any money so he just shakes his head as the packages arrive.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
My husband says Christmas is year round for me cause I'm always getting packages:look::lol: we both work and no children yet. He doesn't like that I have a lot of hair products but I tell him that my hair is work and going to the salon will be as costly if not more anyway. I do love to shop in general though and it's something I'm still trying to work on.. Key word "trying" :look:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I don't have a budget for anything, but I can usually keep myself in check and not go overboard. On the rare occasion that I do, he'll be like "Uhhhh... WTF are you doing? :look: " :lachen:

Usually, there are no surprises though, because we typically run all purchases by each other before buying anything. :yep:

missbugg21

Ugh... I shot myself in the foot with this one. I should have split it up like you said, ManeStreet , then I wouldn't have even been having this issue. :perplexed

Lesson definitely learned.... :look: