BEAT THE HEAT: HOT GIRLS 2015

Lylddlebit

BEAT THE HEAT: HOT GIRLS 2015

This Challenge is for all of the ladies who will be using direct heat at least once per month RESPONSIBLY this year and want to share healthy hair practices to retain length and health.

Don't be shy! I know you are out there. Hopefully we will not get kicked off the forum for this Challenge

Let's show everyone that you can use heat and still retain length!

RULES
You must use direct heat "full out" at least once a month.
You may not use direct heat more than once per week.
You must deep condition each time you use direct heat.
You must use a heat protectant each time you use direct heat.

Please post updates each time you use heat and keep the thread updated.

To join the challenge by January 1,2015 please like this post and answer the questions below along with your starting photo :

1-What is your hair type and starting length? Relaxed or natural?
2-Short version of your regimen.
3-What type of direct heat do you plan to use? How often?
4-What heat protectant will you use?
5-Why do you like to use direct heat?
6-What is your goal for the year?
7-Please post a starting picture.

Please talk to us throughout the year and keep us posted on what you are doing to retain length. All challengers should post a progress picture on:
On or before

-March 31st
-June 30th
-September 30th
-December 31st

*Disclaimer: Obviously direct heat is potentially damaging to your hair. Please only join the challenge if you have gathered enough knowledge about YOUR OWN HAIR to know what works and what does not work. This is for those individuals who prefer to wear their hair in styles created by direct heat and understand that it may take them longer to reach hair goals NOT a challenge that is saying it is okay to use direct heat. Challenge at your own risk.*

***almost this entire post is copied from the original 2014 thread. Once a start post answering the questions with the start photo is added I will add your name to the challenger list.

CHALLENGERS:
DODO
LYLDDLEBIT
PRETTYMETTY
YAKURIA
MISSLIBERIA
CKISLAND
SHORTDUB78
YAYA24

Last edited:

Lylddlebit

~Between waist and hip: longest layer. Shortest layer :apl~Natural
Wash or co wash before every style. Steam in conditioner with every condition or steam in conditioner with every cowash.
When Straight: Wash deep condition (steam in condition), detangle, blow dry, straighten. Wear straight for 3-4 weeks only applying oil for softness every couple days, when hair becomes dry or roots grow out I wash and restyle.

When natural: co wash(steam in deep conditioner), saturate hair with leave in, twist air dry. Rewash or cowash weekly.
Alternative natural regimen: Curlformers. Wash, steam in deep conditioner, apply leave ins and setting product, detangle, apply curl former either dry under hood dryer or air dry. Hair spray. Rewash or co wash weekly
Has everyone seen the extended sizes?I haven't gotten this regimen down yet since I just started using these in December and have never been good at roller sets.

**For the long version of my regimen, it's in about me section of my fotki**

Kizure Pressing Comb and/or fhi runway flat iron every 3-4 weeks or alternating between 3 weeks of a natural style and 3-4 weeks of heated style. Haven't decided yet. I don't want to limit my options though within the rules of the challenge.
4-What heat protectant will you use? [
~crack leave in. Tried both the original version and new formula. Both work well.

~it looks good. I wash and style my hair on wash day then can pretty much let it be.
6-What is your goal for the year?No length goals. I am pretty happy with my hair. I just want to style my hair how I like without setbacks and become better at trimming for more even ends. There is no experience quite like trimming your hair only to realize the ends were more even before you cut it lol, I'm working on it.
7-Please post a starting picture.**Updated my pic from the original one i posted in the 2014 thread. Will delete that post. I dusted on 12/27/2014 for this pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:

yakuria

4a/4b, I'm slightly past shoulder length. Natural

Wash hair weekly. Blow-dry once a week. Flat iron every two weeks. Deep condition weekly.

Blow dry weekly. Flat iron or curling iron every two weeks

Tresseme Heat protection, Pantene blow dry cream, ion argan oil heat protection(steam within flat iron)

Makes detangling easier, I retain more length. I'm combing it/manipulating it less often which means less SSK's, Knots, etc..

Full healthy hair at APL(Armpit Length)

See Attached

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    421.7 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm probably going to be a hotgirl for life!!

I'm a 4b straight haired natural with low density and medium strands.

I get a salon blowout once a month by the Dominicans. Sometimes I get rollers, sometimes she just blowdries it. I use Keracare detangling poo and I alternate or mix Aphogee 2 minute and Keracare Humecto. My leave in is Neutrogena Silk Touch cream.

Currebt length is Apl. This year I want to achieve Mbl, but who knows I might just maintain it at Bsl.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
1-What is your hair type and starting length? 4b/c and Waist length plus

Relaxed or natural? Natural

2-Short version of your regimen: Pre-poo with Shea Moisture Purification Masque and wash every 1-2 weeks with Shea Moisture Manuka Shampoo or Ouidad Curl Cowash, Deep condition with assorted DC's, Heat protect with Redken anti snap, use assorted leave ins and butters to seal. Use OGX assorted serums to seal.

3-What type of direct heat do you plan to use? Blow dry on medium using the tension method, flat iron roots on low

How often? Weekly

4-What heat protectant will you use? Redken Extreme Anti-Snap Leave-In

5-Why do you like to use direct heat? My hair remains stretched and is more manageable. Shrinkage is less of an issue.

6-What is your goal for the year? Full W'hip length

yakuria

Been curling my hair this week. I love my mousse and flexirods! :) See Attached

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    403.8 KB · Views: 209
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    405.4 KB · Views: 225

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My main goal this year is to learn how to blowdry my own hair with a paddle brush. I pay to get it done once a month, but if I could do it myself that would save me a lot of money

Lylddlebit

I will be fully straightening my hair at the end of this month for my January press. However in the mean time I did use my deep waver on my leave out" this week. Pretty flat since I slept on it but the rules say no more than once a week so I'm being good.

Attachments

• IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 280

Lylddlebit

I woke up this morning and wanted to straighten my hair. So I straightened. Wash, steam in conditioner, detangle blow dry, Press one swipe. Nothing fancy.
Just want I wanted.

Attachments

• IMG_0229-vi.jpg
    IMG_0229-vi.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0231-vi.jpg
    IMG_0231-vi.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0232-vi.jpg
    IMG_0232-vi.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 230

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I am looking forward to my blowout next week. I went too hard in the gym this morning and now my roots are puffy :sad:

ckisland

I would like to join :wave:

s-wave 4a, coily 4a, 4b Natural
about SL
Shampoo w/ ORS Aloe Creamy poo
DC with a protein+moisture mix with heat or overnight
Apply sweet almond oil, and blowdry with denman brush
Flatiron using the comb chase method
Blowdryer and flatiron
At least 1x month
uh. . . :look: sweet almond oil/ Silk n'Smooth Heat Protectant
I love the length I get using heat, and it makes styling so much easier. I plan on using heat on my way to HL :grin:
APL :crossfingers:
20150130_215440.jpg

20150130_232219.jpg

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I am almost 2 weeks into my blowout. I won't be getting my hair straightened again for another 2 weeks. My hair is heavy right now from moisturizing and sealing...the only thing I can do at this point is bun it or rollerset. I'm gonna go with a bun.

missliberia

Late to the party as always. But I'm a Hot Girl so if you'll have me, I'd like to join.

I am natural, 4b, fine strands and BSL.

Protein, protein, protein! I use protein 3 times a month and moisture once.

Blow dry and flat iron once a week.

Tressemme Heat Tamer

It is pretty, my ends thrive when not in natural styles and I can stunt on heaux's in these streets.

MBL

Lylddlebit

Missliberia jump on in! Each length check date is a good opportunity to show progress plus I love to see any style pictures along with the way as we use heat and maintain! Welcome!

Last edited:

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I blow dried my hair using a paddle brush the other day. I am loving the ease, I just bantu knot my hair at night in 4 bantu knots.

Evolving78

Can I hang out in here? I'm relaxed, but I use heat once a week. Usually just the roots if I roller set, or flat iron. I can't do my cornrow protective style, since I need to shampoo/cleansing my hair often. I still will bun my hair, or put it up. I'm currently texlaxed, with bone straight ends. My hair accept moisture and oil better when I wear it straight. I'm SL too. Sorry I didn't put this in order. I was just eager to join! Here is my starting pic!

image-330303560.jpg

Last edited:

Lylddlebit

Shortdub78 you are welcome to join just as long as you are using direct heat “full out” at least one day out of the month. It would be okay for you to just touch up the roots the rest of the time but this thread is a challenge for those of us using heat full fledge at least once a month and still retaining/sustaining/maintaining our length.

***I do want to apologize I did leave out some detail in the challenge and I will update this on the original thread. For me personally I wouldn’t want to wear a wig all year, press my leave it and consider that part of the challenge you know? I am looking for this challenge to show you all how I maintain when using heat "all the way" at least once a month and learn things from you all when you use heat "all the way" at least once a month.

Welcome!

Last edited:

Evolving78

Shortdub78 you are welcome to join just as long as you are using direct heat “full out” at least one day out of the month. It would be okay for you to just touch up the roots the rest of the time but this thread is a challenge for those of use using heat full fledge at least once a month and still retaining/sustaining/maintaining our length. ***I do want to apologize I did leave out some detail in the challenge and I will update this on the original thread. For me personally I wouldn’t want to wear a wig all year, press my leave it and consider that part of the challenge you know? I am looking for this challenge to show you all how I maintain when using heat "all the way" at least once a month and learn things from you all when you use heat "all the way" at least once a month. Welcome!
Yep heat full out down to the ends. I wash my hair twice a week, but I will only use the flat iron once a week. I'm currently not wearing any wigs, since I need my scalp to breath.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
No longer in using heat weekly

I would like to join!! I am a heat user for life.

4a, 4b Natural
NL
Rotate weekly on Sundays between shampoo and DC or ACV, DC and cowash...blowdry then flat twists/ flat twistout or a bun. Moisturize every 3 days at night with scurl and seal with evoo. I use evoo and emu oil every morning for some shine. Every night I use my njoy mix on my scalp.
Blowdryer WEEKLY and flatiron every 3 months. Flat iron month I dust my ends
none. I just blowdry my moisturized hair.
Totally eliminates tangled "stuck together" ends which causes breakage.
Full shoulder/APL

*I'll post one of my blown out hair tonight from yesterdays wash.

Last edited:

Evolving78

I'm going to try It's A 10 leave in, along with my silicon mix for dc. I love that stuff. I never tried the leave in before. I hope it give major slip!

Lylddlebit

I would like to join!! I am a heat user for life.
4a, 4b Natural
NL
Rotate weekly on Sundays between shampoo and DC or ACV, DC and cowash...blowdry then flat twists/ flat twistout or a bun. Moisturize every 3 days at night with scurl and seal with evoo. I use evoo and emu oil every morning for some shine. Every night I use my njoy mix on my scalp.
Blowdryer WEEKLY and flatiron every 3 months. Flat iron month I dust my ends
none. I just blowdry my moisturized hair.
Totally eliminates tangled "stuck together" ends which causes breakage.
Full shoulder/APL

*I'll post one of my blown out hair tonight from yesterdays wash.

Heat protectant doesn’t have to be a separate product or anything but as part of the challenge requirement, I do wonder what product you use that has heat protectant properties in it. Many good shampoos conditioners and/or moisturizers have protectors in them if you are willing to list what shampoo DC and other product you use in more detail please…. GIVE IT UP! LOL. If any of y'all show a head of hair that would look real good on me I want the details so the week after I see it on you I can have it on me lol. Jokes aside, are you really saying none of your products have heat protecting properties?

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
ok got it. lol

The silicone in my conditioner probably does it for heat protecting properties.

Shampoo: Creme of nature Argan oil
Conditioner: Silicon mix

My post wash leave ins vary between oyin handmade dew, miss jessies leave in condish or scurl.

After this step I tension blow dry with my chi blow dryer or I blowdry use my conair styler on medium heat.

Then I use my twisting butter and evoo to flat twist.

I don't have any heat damage.

Last edited:

Lylddlebit

ok got it. lol

The silicone in my conditioner probably does it for heat protecting properties.

Shampoo: Creme of nature Argan oil
Conditioner: Silicon mix

My post wash leave ins vary between oyin handmade dew, miss jessies leave in condish or scurl.

After this step I tension blow dry with my chi blow dryer or I blowdry use my conair styler on medium heat.

Then I use my twisting butter and evoo to flat twist.

I don't have any heat damage.

Silicon mix has Dimethicone and Cyclomethicone in it just like sabino moisture block. Works for me. WELCOME!