Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Platinum

ChasingBliss yes I'm getting good growth but I have major shrinkage. :lol:

I haven't tried the baking soda/ACV wash yet but I've heard it's good for cleansing scalp and locs. I'll try it soon. I using get a little buildup from the Aloe Vera Gel, juice, and oils. Lately, I've been using Dudu Osum shampoo and it's great. It's a cleansing shampoo that doesn't strip my hair.

Platinum

I've been watching lots of head wrap videos. I have a few scarves but I'll probably end up buying more fabric this week. Here are a few styles that I like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvt7mcGWhE8 (Quick and Easy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10QF_Zj_EnQ (Queen Nefertiti)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V3KNMgaKLU (Easy Head wrap-Rasta)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdoGtuDk_ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAbulp5a-a0 (Zigzag)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zDX9NkJ__k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_18T0C3gnU (Regal)

Im planning to check out Gele tutorials sometime this week.

ChasingBliss

My locs are now long enough to pin up or back and kind of get some style thing going on. But now my concern has become bobby pins. Sometimes in pinning them a certain way for a style it seems to work better when I stick a bobby pin through a loc to hold it down. Most of them I dont have to do that with but there are some stubborn ones.

Will sticking pins through it damage the integrity of the loc over time? How do you guys use pins and which ones do you use? The open ones (like me) or closed? Help.

1BalancedBeauty

I was watching a Nerissa Irving video the other day. It was the latest update to her beauty regimen. She admitted that she uses tights (leggings) to wrap her super long locs. I want to try it this winter but, at the same time, am afraid someone might notice. LOL

prettybyrd

Can you start locs from mini twists? I know you're not supposed to start them too small, but what about sisterlocks, they're pretty small?

TIA!

Platinum

My locs are now long enough to pin up or back and kind of get some style thing going on. But now my concern has become bobby pins. Sometimes in pinning them a certain way for a style it seems to work better when I stick a bobby pin through a loc to hold it down. Most of them I dont have to do that with but there are some stubborn ones. Will sticking pins through it damage the integrity of the loc over time? How do you guys use pins and which ones do you use? The open ones (like me) or closed? Help.
ChasingBliss that's a good question. I haven't started using bobby pins. I was thinking about trying a loc-hawk style but I think just going to use headbands and headwraps for a while until my locs mature.

ChasingBliss

Just washed my hair and retwisted the front only--the locs that frame my face. I left the rest alone. I got that idea from one of my YouTube faves Jasmine Rose.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
Just washed my hair and retwisted the front only--the locs that frame my face. I left the rest alone. I got that idea from one of my YouTube faves Jasmine Rose.

i do this about every other time i retwist. i'm not sure of the exact count but i think i have around 80ish and i can't be bothered to retwist my whole head every time. i'm so lazy.

i've been having really weird dreams lately. the night before last i dreamt some of them were falling out at my hairline :nono: and last night i had a dream that my cousin flat ironed them and found tracks glued to my scalp.:lachen:

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
This thread is right on time! I am planning to loc my hair before the end of the year. I am getting ready to turn 30 (in March) and I want to do something substantial. I just had my "naptural birthday" and "she" turned 4 this year! :lol:

I will be watching this thread closely. The only things I am concerned about thus far are thinning edges and maintenance.

Last edited:

ChasingBliss

i do this about every other time i retwist. i'm not sure of the exact count but i think i have around 80ish and i can't be bothered to retwist my whole head every time. i'm so lazy.

i've been having really weird dreams lately. the night before last i dreamt some of them were falling out at my hairline :nono: and last night i had a dream that my cousin flat ironed them and found tracks glued to my scalp.:lachen:

:lachen: Sounds like the type of dreams I have sometimes.

ChasingBliss

This thread is right on time! I am planning to loc my hair before the end of the year. I am getting ready to turn 30 (in March) and I want to do something substantial. I just had my "naptural birthday" and "she" turned 4 this year! :lol:

I will be watching this thread closely. The only things I am concerned about thus far are thinning edges and maintenance.

Yes, my edges are my biggest concern so I have become extra anal (as if that's possible for me) about them. I have a whole regimen dedicated to them alone.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
This thread is right on time! I am planning to loc my hair before the end of the year. I am getting ready to turn 30 (in March) and I want to do something substantial. I just had my "naptural birthday" and "she" turned 4 this year! :lol: I will be watching this thread closely. The only things I am concerned about thus far are thinning edges and maintenance.

This is hilarious because I wasn't even thinking about it but that's the same exact timeline I was on. I got mine at 30 after just over 4 years natural

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
This is hilarious because I wasn't even thinking about it but that's the same exact timeline I was on. I got mine at 30 after just over 4 years natural

Foxglove, starting a loc journey has always been an end goal, but I originally said age 50. Somehow, though, 30 just makes more sense. :lol:

Who knows? I may turn 40 and do something different, like chop again! The beauty of it is that it is hair and it can change so much! I want to experience it all.

ChasingBliss

ChasingBliss, what is your regimen? Have you noticed any thinning at all?

Arian
No I havent had that problem since starting my locs.

Rogaine is number 1. I massage my edges and temples morning and night with it.
Also, each evening when I come in I spritz my hair with a solution of water, essential rosemary, sage and lavender oil and jojoba oil. When I shower each morning, after washing my face, I use organic raw honey for a facial mask while lathering up. I also slather this honey on my edges/hairline. Then I just rinse it off. Honey is very good for your follicles...there is lots of info on honey and hair growth on the Internet. It's not just a humectant for the skin.

There may be one two nights per week that I will refrain from Rogaine and just massage my temples/edges with JBCO.

My edges were growing in very fast and I honestly thank Rogaine for that more than anything. I remember within 3 months I saw massive amounts of baby hairs filling in thin spots. This thing is my life saver. I had been using it before I got locs.... And because I heard so many disaster stories about what locs can do to your edges IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL...I knew I'd continue to use it.

Free forming is in my future too. I am becoming more ok with now that I am seeing a lot of loc wearers on YT who are showing that it does not have to look crazy. In fact I've seen some beautiful styles with free form locs.

Last edited:

prettybyrd

I'm locking my hair, too. I've been thinking about it for years, but I finally feel ready. I'm so excited! I'm still doing research, but I think that I will use the interlock method to lock my hair for my birthday next month.

kandiekj100

Alright ladies so I'm joining you all.

I just had my appt on Wednesday. I had been thinking about doing locs for a while but I wasn't ready to commit to it. Now I am.

My most recent BC was in January. I measured my air before the appt and it was roughly 5 inches. Now it's roughly half that length, maybe even little less than that. I feel the link is somewhat ackward and the locs don't really frame my face in a very flattering way right now. Yesterday, I pinned one side up and today I have a stretchy headband on. I purchased several of those and couple beanies to help me through this.

I started with comb coils. Since my hair is not very dense, I had the loctition do them on the small side. I figured I can combine them later, if necessary.

At this moment, I plan on washing my hair weekly. I heard water helps with the process and with my texture I figure I'll need to help it a long as much a possible. I'm not sure if I'll have to retwist each time I wash or if I can get away with retwisting with every other wash or 3rd wash, because I'd like to avoid over-twisting as much as possible. Guess I'll find that out next week.

I really enjoyed my appt. The lady combed my hair with conditioner in while I was at the sink (which I don't think I've ever experienced) and overall was just really gentle with it. I hope it is just as gentle when I go back to her for retwist. I imagine it might be as gentle if she has to go in an reestablish parts I may mess up while washing and twisting my hair on my own.

I forgot to ask her what she twisted my hair with. Whatever it was, my hair felt light and not crunchy afterwards. I think she put caster oil on my scalp. She also suggested I use that or coconut oil at home.

Been watching and rewatching YT videos like crazy. I'll probably be in search of some more today.

locs - starter.jpg locs - starter 2.jpg

Platinum

I'm glad to see that there more loc'd ladies on this site! :wave:

I'm a little more than 5 months in on my journey now and I have to admit that I can understand why people call it a journey. I have become more "conscious". I'm more aware of what I eat and who I associate with now. Has anyone else gone through this stage as well? I seem to have lost a few friends along my journey. :ohwell:. I'm also starting to consider free-forming my Locs in the future.

prettybyrd

I'm glad to see that there more loc'd ladies on this site! :wave:

I'm a little more than 5 months in on my journey now and I have to admit that I can understand why people call it a journey. I have become more "conscious". I'm more aware of what I eat and who I associate with now. Has anyone else gone through this stage as well? I seem to have lost a few friends along my journey. :ohwell:. I'm also starting to consider free-forming my Locs in the future.

That's very interesting, and it makes me think about some stuff I read this past Sunday on the history of locs. Apparently only priests and other holy persons were allowed to wear them originally because locs were considered a sign of spiritual enlightenment attainable only by holy people and it was a way for the gods to recognize the holy from everyone else.

Lay people were not allowed to wear their hair locked because it was assumed that no lay person was strong enough to live according to the 77 Commandments that holy people did, and those 77 Commandments had to be kept by all holy people.

When a holy person with locs violated one of the commandments, it meant punishment that was much more harsh than that of a lay person who committed the same offense. The post was pretty interesting, I'm not doing it justice. After reading it I thought about the people I know who began experiencing a sort of "consciousness" after starting locs, and your post Platinum, reminded me.

Forgive me if you already knew this. I'm sharing this like it's new to everyone. :lol:

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
My loc appointment is Dec 2. She will be doing two strand twists to start. I am nervous and excited at the same time. But I am ready...

I have also been cleaning up shop as far as people are concerned. I also think with more clarity now, and I don't even have locs yet. I deactivated my Facebook account (at least until I am fully loced), and only allow myself to login to this forum for loc support. All other social media outlets are not active at the moment. It's like I am getting ready for the connection.

I feel bad about my current eating habits, so maybe that means I want to change those too. I have upped my supplement intake and also take immune boosters.

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
I will be lurking this thread. Been thinking about locking since i was in my teens.

But i wanted to post this amazing loc utuber. Her locs are absolutely gorg! Her name is joy marilie. She has sum great hair styles too.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141108_035423.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141108_035423.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 183

ChasingBliss

I will be lurking this thread. Been thinking about locking since i was in my teens.

But i wanted to post this amazing loc utuber. Her locs are absolutely gorg! Her name is joy marilie. She has sum great hair styles too.

Yeah, I love her locs. I subscribe to her youtubes also. She has some beautiful styles.

1BalancedBeauty

I follow her on IG but didn't know she had a YouTube. Awesome!

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
The more I look at pictures of gorgeous locs, the more I want them. It is amazing to me that 5 years ago, I was talking about how I would never go natural. That same year, I got my last relaxer. And now, this loc journey is so important.

Funny how your mind can change!

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I asked my loctician what pattern she uses for my retis. She doesn't know it but December is the last time I'll be seeing her. I think she charges too much and there is a new loctician who just got sisterlock certified much closer to where I live

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Can someone tell me what the budding stage was like for you? Any loc'd ladies start locs from longer lengths?

kandiekj100

After 6 days into this journey, I've washed my hair yesterday for the first time. However, I did not retwist. My scalp was itching and no amount of oil or scalp massaging was going to make it feel any better.

My roots are puffy, but my comb coils did not unravel. OMG, the shrinkage...I'm wearing a soft headband and the style doesn't look too bad.

I have noticed that I'm doing the same things I did when I first went natural and was sporting my TWA, which is refuse to leave the house without makeup, earrings and wearing decent clothes. I just want to make sure, that with what's going on with my hair, I don't look bummy.

Platinum

Can someone tell me what the budding stage was like for you? Any loc'd ladies start locs from longer lengths?

Arian my locs started to bud within the first two to three weeks of my journey. It was probably because I rinsed my hair frequently. Most of the buds formed in the middle of the loc, others formed closer to the root. I don't think I had any of them to form on the ends.