• Yes

Votes: 65 94.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I wear jewelry and keep it simple..my wedding band and a bracelet or two. Sometimes a necklace to match...more because I like to dress simple. Like with jewelry, everything can apply to modesty. I remember not feeling right about wearing excessive jewelry. Everyone has their own convictions.

blazingthru

The question that was put to me was Why? I had to really think about that, I remember when i turned 13 that was a big year for me. I'm now a teen and my dad asked me if I wanted a piece of jewelry, what would I want and I said a ring and he purchased me a ring just because, shortly thereafter, I wanted to get my ears pierced. He took me to get my ears pierced. I wanted those things because I thought it made me look cute and nice I didn't ask for the ring my dad felt it was time for me to have a piece of jewelry. I fell in love with jewelry and purchase thousands of dollars worth of jewelry over the years.

I use to take the train into work and i would feel so nervous and I would have dreams that someone would attack me, I saw it happen to a woman back when they use to wear those really thick gold necklaces and huge gold hoops. I use to ask myself why would I put myself in this boat, but it was the norm to wear Jewelry. So even though I loved my pieces, I was relieved when I studied it out and felt that it was not for me anymore and no one pays me no mind now and I love it. I can take the train and bus, well I gave up designer purses as well. So that helped tremendously too.

The truth is for me it was all about pride, it was a way I wanted to look and how I wanted folks to perceive me and now I could careless, but I do wear a brooch every now and then on my suits for service but that is rare
, I never consider that jewelry but I guess it is. hmmmm something to think about too. I already clicked no above.

I couldn't wear anything in my ears, fingers, arms. Its to heavy for me now, Same as makeup and nail polish its been to long since I wore those things it weighs on me. Weird. But I miss none of it. i can wear make up and I do for occasions but its uncomfortable and I look forward to washing it off.

JaneBond007

I absolutely love jewelry and do all kinds. It makes me feel very special, or something. I don't need them but I love them. Wouldn't like to live without them at all. Art is a part of life and some art you can wear.

ktykaty

I love jewelry. I wear all type, anklets, bracelets, toe rings, earrings, rings, belly chains. But I don't like necklaces and watches.
I only have 2 watches, one for everyday and one for dressing up.
My everyday jewelry is mostly cheap stuff with no specific storage. My dressed-up jewelry, I keep in a jewelry box. I have a smaller, made-for-travel jewelry box.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I absolutely love jewelry and do all kinds. It makes me feel very special, or something. I don't need them but I love them. Wouldn't like to live without them at all.

Art is a part of life and some art you can wear.

The bolded.... is a beautiful statement. :yep: :up: However, 'Some Art', not all.

Shimmie

Staff member
I love jewelry. I wear all type, anklets, bracelets, toe rings, earrings, rings, belly chains. But I don't like necklaces and watches.

I only have 2 watches,

one for everyday and one for dressing up.
My everyday jewelry is mostly cheap stuff with no specific storage. My dressed-up jewelry, I keep in a jewelry box. I have a smaller, made-for-travel jewelry box.

I'm looking for another 'Indiglow' watch. I haven't worn a watch for over 7 years since my last Indiglow's backlight faded out.

Shimmie

Staff member
The question that was put to me was Why? I had to really think about that, I remember when i turned 13 that was a big year for me. I'm now a teen and my dad asked me if I wanted a piece of jewelry, what would I want and I said a ring and he purchased me a ring just because, shortly thereafter, I wanted to get my ears pierced. He took me to get my ears pierced. I wanted those things because I thought it made me look cute and nice I didn't ask for the ring my dad felt it was time for me to have a piece of jewelry. I fell in love with jewelry and purchase thousands of dollars worth of jewelry over the years.

I use to take the train into work and i would feel so nervous and I would have dreams that someone would attack me, I saw it happen to a woman back when they use to wear those really thick gold necklaces and huge gold hoops. I use to ask myself why would I put myself in this boat, but it was the norm to wear Jewelry. So even though I loved my pieces, I was relieved when I studied it out and felt that it was not for me anymore and no one pays me no mind now and I love it. I can take the train and bus, well I gave up designer purses as well. So that helped tremendously too.

The truth is for me it was all about pride, it was a way I wanted to look and how I wanted folks to perceive me and now I could careless, but I do wear a brooch every now and then on my suits for service but that is rare
, I never consider that jewelry but I guess it is. hmmmm something to think about too. I already clicked no above.

I couldn't wear anything in my ears, fingers, arms. Its to heavy for me now, Same as makeup and nail polish its been to long since I wore those things it weighs on me. Weird. But I miss none of it. i can wear make up and I do for occasions but its uncomfortable and I look forward to washing it off.

:bighug:

I understand and respect how you feel. There is no condemnation.

Shimmie

Staff member
I voted no. I don't wear any jewellery at all, not for religious reasons - just never liked it.
I'm bad with accessories in general - don't really understand them....

Thanks for sharing ToyToy... your beauty still glows without jewels. :love2:

Shimmie

Staff member
I wear jewelry and keep it simple..my wedding band and a bracelet or two. Sometimes a necklace to match...more because I like to dress simple. Like with jewelry, everything can apply to modesty. I remember not feeling right about wearing excessive jewelry. Everyone has their own convictions.

Laela...

LAELA ! ! ! Hi Angel :wave: ............ :grouphug2:

Thanks for sharing. I think one of the reasons I don't like to wear a lot of jewelry is because it's just too bulky and I'm too short for bulky items.

mrselle

Thanks mrselle... I can relate to your post regarding our ''Moms". :yep:

I remember my Mom saying that it wasn't good for a young girl to look "too grown". Those words "Too Grown" were somehow ingrained into my spirit. And I understand fully what she meant by it.

Even she didn't want to overdo it when it came to make-up and jewelry. She was modest and always very pretty. :yep:

Shimmie - YES!!!!! "Too Grown" is the phrase my mom, grandmother and aunts would use. And it went beyond make-up. I couldn't wear heels. Even my heels for high school graduation were low. No strappy sandles with the toes out. A nice, classic shoe with a heel that was....oh, I don't know...about 1 1/2 inches.

mrselle

Ladies, here's a random question. How do you keep and protect your jewelry?

I have 2 regular sized jewelry cases and I have several small jewel boxes that have been given to me as gifts. I also have several jewelry wraps for when I travel.

My husband bought me a really nice jewelry box from Pottery Barn last Christmas. It also comes with a small travel case. That is where I keep all my jewelry.

I'm curious as to how everyone cleans their jewelry. A jeweler told me years ago to use hot water and a little bit of ammonia. That is the only thing I use to clean my diamond studs and wedding rings. It works really well.

Shimmie

Staff member
@Shimmie - YES!!!!! "Too Grown" is the phrase my mom, grandmother and aunts would use. And it went beyond make-up. I couldn't wear heels. Even my heels for high school graduation were low. No strappy sandles with the toes out. A nice, classic shoe with a heel that was....oh, I don't know...about 1 1/2 inches.

mrselle...

Oh My.... Are we 'Related'? :lol: :grouphug2:

I remember not only were my 'heels' low, but I couldn't wear stockings that were skin tone. I was only allowed to wear those ugly light, light, LIGHT beige color stockings/pantyhose, because the 'Suntan' color made my legs look 'bare'..... i.e. "Too Grown".

Those beige pantyhose made my legs look sooooooo ashy....:rofl:

Shimmie

Staff member
My husband bought me a really nice jewelry box from Pottery Barn last Christmas. It also comes with a small travel case. That is where I keep all my jewelry.

I'm curious as to how everyone cleans their jewelry. A jeweler told me years ago to use hot water and a little bit of ammonia. That is the only thing I use to clean my diamond studs and wedding rings. It works really well.

I use peroxide to keep my earring posts sanitized. :yep:

Water and ammonia definitely keeps the sparkle in diamonds. :up:

Most Jeweler's will clean your diamond rings for free. :yep:

mrselle

mrselle...

Oh My.... Are we 'Related'? :lol: :grouphug2:

I remember not only were my 'heels' low, but I couldn't wear stockings that were skin tone. I was only allowed to wear those ugly light, light, LIGHT beige color stockings/pantyhose, because the 'Suntan' color made my legs look 'bare'..... i.e. "Too Grown".

Those beige pantyhose made my legs look sooooooo ashy....:rofl:

Shimmie - you got me with the pantyhose. Mom wasn't that strict. I wore panty hose that matched my outfit. Usually white (went with the white suit I wore for graduation) or "barely black" (Hanes color) with my darker colored suits and dresses. The funny things is that now Mom NEVER wears panty hose. She shows her bare legs. She has great legs, but I find it hilarious that she has stopped wearing hose.

Shimmie

Staff member
@Shimmie - you got me with the pantyhose. Mom wasn't that strict. I wore panty hose that matched my outfit. Usually white (went with the white suit I wore for graduation) or "barely black" (Hanes color) with my darker colored suits and dresses. The funny things is that now Mom NEVER wears panty hose. She shows her bare legs. She has great legs, but I find it hilarious that she has stopped wearing hose.

mrselle....

You got to wear 'Barely Black' ? ! ? Chile that was 'taboo' for me. :lol: I was able to wear the "Ivory" colored pantyhose, they matched a white dress that I had. :yep:

Wanna know why your Mom stopped wearing pantyhose... ?

Who wants to fight with those things anymore? The twists and turns of trying to get them on straight... "Lawd a' merci"... Moms is free! :lol:

BEAUTYU2U

I voted but forgot to post .... if I leave the house without earrings I feel naked. I don't have a lot of piercings but I like them. I feel necklaces add a glow to my face even though I don't wear them everyday. I like rings too. But I'm not big on bracelets, watches, or brooches. I can't wait to be able to buy a few quality (read: expensive) pieces. :yep:

Shimmie

Staff member
I voted but forgot to post .... if I leave the house without earrings I feel naked.

I don't have a lot of piercings but I like them. I feel necklaces add a glow to my face even though I don't wear them everyday. I like rings too. But I'm not big on bracelets, watches, or brooches.

I can't wait to be able to buy a few quality (read: expensive) pieces. :yep:
BEAUTYU2U... thanks for coming back to share. :giveheart:

How do you store your jewelry? Do you have a special jewelry case?

I thank God for blessing your with your 'special' quality pieces of jewelry. :yep:

BEAUTYU2U

Oh, nothing special. I don't like traditional jewelry cases for some reason. I just have a plastic office organizer :lol: Quick access.

Maguerite

Yes but very simple pieces. I am also working on creating a small selection of everyday timeless pieces eg a couple of slim gold (white & yellow) bangles I wear daily with my watch, simple necklaces etc.
Nowadays I'd rather have a pair of amazing diamond ear studs that I love and wear daily than lots of cheaper stuff.
I wear my wedding ting daily and want to reset them to a more modern setting.

Sent from my iPhone

greenandchic

Only my wedding ring (we opted for one ring) and a pair of diamond, a pair of gold studs and a helix piercing. I have 7 ear piercings but only wear 5 since I gave an ear tattoo. Never wear large earrings.

Shimmie

Staff member
Yes but very simple pieces. I am also working on creating a small selection of everyday timeless pieces eg a couple of slim gold (white & yellow) bangles I wear daily with my watch, simple necklaces etc.
Nowadays I'd rather have a pair of amazing diamond ear studs that I love and wear daily than lots of cheaper stuff.

I wear my wedding ting daily and want to reset them to a more modern setting.

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Maguerite... :wave:

Thanks so much for sharing. I agree with having timeless pieces.

That's wonderful to have your wedding ring reset. Have you decided on the 'design' yet or are you still thinking about it? Either way, congratulations and many Blessings of the Lord on your Marriage. :love2:

Shimmie

Staff member
Only my wedding ring (we opted for one ring) and a pair of diamond, a pair of gold studs and a helix piercing. I have 7 ear piercings but only wear 5 since I gave an ear tattoo. Never wear large earrings.

:welcome3: greenandchic... Thank you for joining in and sharing.

Many couples today opt for the single wedding bands. :yep: Many Blessings on your Marriage as well.

Years ago (in college) when I was in an African Dance Troupe, we used to wear the larger earrings as part of our costuming. They always got in the way and tangled in my hair. That's another reason on my list that I prefer the smaller sized earrings.

I love the delicate modesty of studs and other smaller sized earrings.

Maguerite

Hi Maguerite... :wave: Thanks so much for sharing. I agree with having timeless pieces. That's wonderful to have your wedding ring reset. Have you decided on the 'design' yet or are you still thinking about it? Either way, congratulations and many Blessings of the Lord on your Marriage. :love2:
Hi :)
Thanks so much for the kind wishes.
I am still thinking about designs and I adore the aesthetic of Jan Logan's pieces.
I'm on my phone at the moment so cannot link to my favourites but if you google Jan Logan fine jewellery she has amazing pieces. In the rings section I am really loving the 'Sempre' & 'Fulham rings (my choice would be yellow gold).

Sent from my iPhone

Shimmie

Staff member
Hi :)
Thanks so much for the kind wishes.
I am still thinking about designs and I adore the aesthetic of Jan Logan's pieces.

I'm on my phone at the moment so cannot link to my favourites but if you google Jan Logan fine jewellery she has amazing pieces.

In the rings section I am really loving the 'Sempre' & 'Fulham rings (my choice would be yellow gold).

Sent from my iPhone

You, 'My Dear' have good taste.... :yep:

I found this link, but it may not be the one you shared. I'm still impressed.

http://www.janlogan.com/the-shop/bride/engagement

nerdography

I have two lobe piercings in each ear. And I wear tiny studs in the top ones and larger studs in the bottom ones. I like the look of big earrings, but my ears don't like them , so I don't wear them. I also like rings: statement, modest, feminine, etc. But, that about all I wear got jewelry.

I don't like things on my wrist or neck, so no bracelets of necklaces for me.

I only wear low heels as well, one they are easier to walk in, and two I won't have foot problems later in life. I don't get this super high heel craze. It bothers me when I see women struggling to walk down the street.

Shimmie

Staff member
I have two lobe piercings in each ear. And I wear tiny studs in the top ones and larger studs in the bottom ones. I like the look of big earrings, but my ears don't like them , so I don't wear them. I also like rings: statement, modest, feminine, etc. But, that about all I wear got jewelry.

I don't like things on my wrist or neck, so no bracelets of necklaces for me.

I only wear low heels as well, one they are easier to walk in, and two I won't have foot problems later in life. I don't get this super high heel craze. It bothers me when I see women struggling to walk down the street.

@nerdography... Thanks for coming in to share. :bighug: I'm happy to see you. :yep:

Those high heels are not for me. I can give you a good 'fake' pose in them but that's it. I'll never be able to walk in them.

Plus they cause bunions on women's toes. :eek2: It comes from friction as the front of the foot has to move forward (towards the toe of the shoe) with each foot stride to maintain the balance when walking. If you notice, many models and 'starlettes' have bunions these days. It's the high, high heels. Nene Leakes and Kenya Moore are good examples. :look: :look: :look:

I love wearing open toe sandals too much to risk a corn or bunion just to walk on 'stilts' :reddancer:

God Bless you @nerdography. Thanks again for coming in to share.

greenandchic

:welcome3: greenandchic... Thank you for joining in and sharing.

Many couples today opt for the single wedding bands. :yep: Many Blessings on your Marriage as well.

Years ago (in college) when I was in an African Dance Troupe, we used to wear the larger earrings as part of our costuming. They always got in the way and tangled in my hair. That's another reason on my list that I prefer the smaller sized earrings.

I love the delicate modesty of studs and other smaller sized earrings.

Thanks, Shimmie!

I have a gemstone/diamond ring and so glad to just have one though that may change (anniversary's, etc).

I've never liked large earrings. I think its because I feel self conscious of my large lobes and don't want anything to weigh them down and stretching it. :lol: I'm definitely a stud girl. :grin:

Shimmie

Staff member
Thanks, @Shimmie!

I have a gemstone/diamond ring and so glad to just have one though that may change (anniversary's, etc).

I've never liked large earrings. I think its because I feel self conscious of my large lobes and don't want anything to weigh them down and stretching it. :lol: I'm definitely a stud girl. :grin:

@greenandchic ... Hey 'stud (earring) girls' rule... :gorgeous: My daughter and I wouldn't be without them.

I don't blame you one bit about the larger earrings because if they're too heavy, they will stretch. I learned the hard way long ago.

I also wear the small hoop style earrings; and the kind of earrings that have the safety back (it's like a lever). I like the way both of these styles have a one step closure. :yep:

Here's to more Happy Anniversaries and God's Blessings upon you and many, more gemstones to celebrate the love that surrounds you. :love3:

Last edited: