AMAZING FACT: DEVOTION

blazingthru

The Boy-King

An Amazing Fact: Two of history’s youngest monarchs were King Henry VI, who became king at eight months and 25 days of age; and Mary, Queen of Scots, who became queen at the age of six days.

The wicked queen Athaliah had a plan; she tried her best to wipe out any other heirs to the throne, including her own grandsons. Heir after heir fell to her ruthless plot. From a human standpoint, she seemed destined to succeed.

But God had another plan. Providence caused one young heir to the throne to be rescued by his aunt and safely hidden away in the house of the Lord for six years. At the right moment Joash, the secret heir, was proclaimed king. The seven-year-old was crowned, and his supporters held a great celebration.

When she saw what had happened, Athaliah screamed, “Treason! Treason!” The guards had to drag her away.

Although he was only a small child, Joash loved God. Because he and his supporters chose a righteous path and committed themselves to keep God’s law, the Lord caused them to prevail. He can do the same for you too.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And when Athaliah the mother of Ahaziah saw that her son was dead, she arose and destroyed all the seed royal. But Jehosheba, the daughter of king Joram, sister of Ahaziah, took Joash the son of Ahaziah, and stole him from among the king's sons which were slain; and they hid him, even him and his nurse, in the bedchamber from Athaliah, so that he was not slain. And he was with her hid in the house of the LORD six years. And Athaliah did reign over the land.
- 2 Kings 11:1-3

I am small and despised: yet do not I forget thy precepts. Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy law is the truth.
- Psalms 119:141-142

blazingthru

Top 5 Reasons to Memorize Scripture

The late evangelist Byron Spears was known as the “Walking Bible” because of his amazing ability to quote as many as 100 Bible passages in a single sermon—all from memory! It was incredible and life-changing for audiences to hear him thunder off Bible passages convincingly and with confidence without an open Bible before him.

No doubt, such a skill takes lots of time to grow and hone, but it is well worth the effort! Here are the top five reasons you need to be memorizing Scripture today …

5. It will help you overcome temptation.
“Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee” (Psalm 119:11). Remember that Jesus overcame the devil’s temptations by proclaiming, “It is written” (Matthew 4:1–11). When you are tempted to sin, you will be empowered to do the same if you’ve memorized empowering Bible passages. The Holy Spirit will bring to mind the Scriptures you have stored in your heart, working like the “sword of the Spirit” to defeat evil; this sword is the Word of God (Ephesians 6:17).

4. It will increase your awareness of God’s will in your life.
“Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path” (Psalm 119:105). Whenever you are faced with a choice—big or small—you can know that the Holy Spirit will bring to mind Scriptures that will help lead you in the way God wants you to go. The Word of God is His will for you—so do everything possible to fill your mind with Scripture.

3. It will help you and others thrive during times of trial.
“Thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart” (Jeremiah 15:16). Are you or someone you know tired, lonely, afraid—but you don’t have a Bible sitting around nearby? Sometimes when we’re discouraged, it’s hard to do anything—even to pick up God’s Word—except dwell in our own sorrows and worries. So imagine the joy you can bring to someone by spontaneously speaking His beloved promises, for his or her exact need, from your heart!

2. It will make you a better witness.
“Sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness” (1 Peter 3:15). Sometimes a witnessing opportunity can catch us off guard, without a Bible or a sharing resource in hand—and memorizing Scripture about important Bible truths and the power of the gospel can make all the difference in a witnessing opportunity scheduled by God!

1. It will strengthen your relationship with God.
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works” (2 Timothy 3:16, 17). The Word of God changes you in every way. Every moment you spend in God’s Word is another moment in communion with God. What better thing to do than to prayerfully focus on a Scripture, to focus on the mind of God, and solidify His Word, His will, and His heart into you own heart?

blazingthru

Repairing the Temple

An Amazing Fact: Carpenter ants damage wood in building construction. They prefer dead, damp wood in which to build nests. Unlike termites, they do not eat wood but leave behind sawdust-like material called frass. The most likely culprit in North American homes is the black carpenter ant. However, there are over 1,000 species of carpenter ants, including the famous “exploding ants” of Southeast Asia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whether it is carpenter ants, carpenter bees, or wood boring beetles, insects can cause a lot of damage to building structures. Termites, of course, rank at the top of the list of wood-damaging insects. There are more 4,000 species. Most are actually valuable to the environment, but about 10 percent are pests that destroy buildings and cost about $2 billion annually. They live in colonies of several hundred to several million and use “swarm intelligence” to find and consume food. Perhaps their damage is so great because they eat 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Neglecting the care of a building for 100 years is a long time. That’s about how long Israel neglected to care for God’s temple since it was dedicated by Solomon. The new King Joash noticed the temple was in disrepair and decided to do something about it. “And Jehoash (Joash) said to the priests, ‘All the money of the dedicated gifts that are brought into the house of the Lord. … Let the priests take it themselves … and let them repair the damages of the temple, wherever any dilapidation is found” (2 Kings 12:4, 5).

Whether damage happens by termites or tornadoes, we should honor the Lord’s house by keeping it in good repair. It demonstrates our loyalty and respect for our places of worship when we keep them cleaned and in good condition. Let us have the spirit of Joash and repair our churches if they have been damaged. Follow the example of the boy-king of whom it is written, “Jehoash did what was right in the sight of the Lord” (2 Kings 12:1).

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And they came, every one whose heart stirred him up, and every one whom his spirit made willing, and they brought the LORD's offering to the work of the tabernacle of the congregation, and for all his service, and for the holy garments.
- Exodus 35:21

blazingthru

Forget What’s Behind

AN AMAZING FACT: There are many types of amnesia. One of the more unusual types is prosopamnesia, which causes an inability to remember faces. Lacunar amnesia involves loss of memory about a specific event. Dissociative amnesia can be caused by repressed memories following psychological trauma. The most popular type portrayed in Hollywood is retrograde amnesia, in which a person loses past memories due to a traumatic injury.

In his letter to the Philippians, Paul advised “forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead” (Philippians 3:13). What did he mean by forgetting those things that are behind?

Paul obviously didn’t mean that we should forget everything in our past history. After all, remembering the way God has led us helps us spiritually. But there are things in our pasts that could hinder us spiritually. Dwelling on our past sins, endlessly mulling over our mistakes, and contemplating our failures can be self-destructive.

After we have confessed our sins to God and accept His forgiveness, it should be a closed subject. Sometimes, though, we reprocess those sins; sometimes the enemy throws them in our faces. Either way, it can be very discouraging.

“Leave them in the past,” is Paul’s wise advice. Instead of rehashing our failures, we should reach forward to the things that are ahead, pressing toward the spiritual victory that God will give us.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
- Philippians 3:12-14

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Blaz...

I receive these each day in my home email and it is always a wonderful blessing. I just wanted to come in here and thank you again for such beautiful messages each day.

I appreciate this and I appreciate your heart that gives to us each day.

:bighug:

God bless you and your family.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Timely..here I am listening to Poonen on this same thing now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O14Flh_gX98

Junk or Jesus?

AN AMAZING FACT: America’s largest landfill is Apex Regional Landfill, 20 miles northeast of Las Vegas. It has over 3,199,653 tons of garbage.

Talk about a lot of trash! The Apex Regional Landfill takes in over 9,000 tons of trash a day. Back in 2007, it was getting as much as 15,000 tons of trash a day. And, spanning 2,200 acres, the dump could keep taking trash at the same rate for the next 200 years.

It’s hard to believe, but this particular landfill is just one of many landfills that contribute to America’s burgeoning trash industry. All told, the trash industry in America does about $50 billion worth of business a year!

Perhaps just as hard to believe is what the apostle Paul considered to be trash. In Philippians 3:8 he says that he considered all things to be “as garbage” compared to gaining Christ and knowing Him (NLT). And Paul had a lot to cling to, humanly speaking. He was born into the right family, trained at the best institutions, and was zealous for law keeping. He had a lot going for him. Yet in the grand ledger of his life, he counted all his accomplishments as “debits” and knowing Jesus as a “credit.”

This is because he saw a vision of Jesus that made everything else in the world fade. He had been saved from his former life of persecuting God’s people. He had been redeemed from trying to earn his own salvation by performing good works. He had been granted a new heart and a new life. Thus everything else in this world was utter trash in Paul’s estimation.

What about us? Have we caught the same vision that Paul caught—thus causing all else in life to leave us dissatisfied in light of God’s glory and grace?

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
- 1 Corinthians 2:2

blazingthru

Like a Bear

AN AMAZING FACT: Found along the coasts and islands of the northernmost regions, polar bears are the largest land carnivores. In fact, one adult male polar bear weighed more than 2,200 pounds! Yet the young are only about 25 ounces when born.

Adult polar bears also have very large stomachs with a capacity for more than 150 pounds of food, which allows them to go weeks between meals. They are also great roamers, covering up to 50 miles a day and 100,000 square miles during a lifetime in a constant search for seals.

Strong swimmers, polar bears paddle with their large front paws and use their rear paws as rudders to steer. They swim an average of six miles per hour and can go as far as 60 miles without a pause. Polar bears are also excellent divers, remaining submerged for up to two minutes and attaining a depth of 15 feet. They have also been observed leaping out of the water up to eight feet in the air to surprise a seal resting on an ice floe.

King Hezekiah was one of the better kings of Judah. Most of them were evil. His name means “the Lord strengthens.” Hezekiah was like a strong bear, but not because he was physically large or intellectually sharp. The Bible says, “And he did what was right in the sight of the Lord” (2 Kings 18:3). One of his strongest moments was when he destroyed the bronze snake that Moses made in the wilderness. It had become an idol for God’s people, and they even offered incense to it.

We do not need to swim 60 miles without a pause in order to be strong. We can be strong by being obedient to the Lord, just like Hezekiah. “He trusted in the Lord God of Israel, so that after him was none like him among all the kings of Judah, nor who were before him” (v. 5).

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Beat your plowshares into swords and your pruninghooks into spears: let the weak say, I am strong.
- Joel 3:10

blazingthru

Citizens of Another World

AN AMAZING FACT: There has been one United States president who, when he died, was no longer a citizen of the United States. It was the country’s tenth president— John Tyler.

John Tyler served in office from 1841 to 1845. But more than being an American, Tyler was a Virginian. And so when Virginia, along with the other southern states, seceded from the union, Tyler stayed true to his home state and joined them, renouncing his U.S. citizenship.

Tyler had actually served as the chair of the Virginia Peace Convention, which was held in 1861 in Washington, D.C. It was an effort to prevent a civil war. When no compromise was achieved, however, he viewed secession as the only option and joined Virginia and the other states in abandoning their citizenship.

From there, he was elected to the House of Representatives of the Confederate Congress, but it was a position he would never fill. He died on January 18, 1862, before ever serving one day in office. And thus, he is the only president in the history of the United States to die as a former citizen.

Paul, in his letter to the Philippians, shares some interesting news about our citizenship: “For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ” (Philippians 3:20). Though we might have been born in America or Canada or some other part of the world, as Christians, our true citizenship is in heaven. Thus, we are invited to renounce our allegiance to the world and respond to God’s invitation to take up the mission of our heavenly home—which is to spread the good news to the citizens of this world.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
- John 18:36

blazingthru

Metrology

AN AMAZING FACT: When it came to measuring things in ancient times, the body ruled. At first an inch was the width of a man’s thumb. A hand was approximately five inches across. A span was the length of an outstretched hand. And a foot was the length of a foot, or about 11 inches. Today a foot is 12 inches.

There is a science to measuring things. Metrology literally means “the study of measurement.” It is broken into three fields: science, industry, and law. Calibration is a process in which metrology is applied to equipment and processes to ensure conformity with a standard of measurement. Without precise measurement, commerce would be a mess. Nine out of 10 people who work with measurements are employed in commercial applications.

Defined measurements sometimes were determined by kings. King Edward II of England ruled that one inch equaled three grains of barley placed end to end lengthwise. King Henry I of England fixed the yard as the distance from his nose to the thumb of his out-stretched arm. Lest you think such early measurements were silly, consider that dividing things into units occurred in ancient times and still impacts us today. The Romans used units of 12, and today we have 12 inches in a foot and 12 months in a year.

Jesus once said, “Give and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you” (Luke 6:38). You might wonder at how some foods are measured. Have you ever purchased and opened a cereal box only to find that it was half full? It’s disappointing, isn’t it—but don’t judge too quickly, as the contents have merely settled.

God encourages us to be generous in how we “measure” things. Don’t judge others too quickly. Believe the best of them. That’s just how the Lord treats us, giving us more than we ask for. It’s like the baker’s dozen.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.
- James 2:13

blazingthru

Defeating Deceit

AN AMAZING FACT: Among Americans polled about honesty, 52 percent said lying is never justified; yet 65 percent said it was sometimes okay to lie to keep from hurting someone’s feelings. Twelve percent of adults admit that they lie sometimes or occasionally. However, when asked, “Are you a liar?” 97 percent said “No.” The three percent who admitted to lying were tested to evaluate their actual honesty and were found to be 28 times more honest than the people who denied lying.
Very few people—if any—are honest 100 percent of the time. Even Christians and other people who are committed to being honest sometimes are caught off guard and speak something that is less than the truth in the confusion of the moment—sometimes to keep from hurting another person’s feelings. Other times, perhaps, they are not completely honest with themselves.

We deal with dishonest people all the time. And all of us, at some time in our lives, have been dishonest. Many times dishonesty hurts other people; sometimes it only hurts the dishonest person.

But dishonesty always hurts God because one of His characteristics is truth. The Bible says, “Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who deal truthfully are His delight” (Proverbs 12:22).

Lying comes naturally to humans. “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?” (Jeremiah 17:9). The only way to conquer a deceitful heart is to allow God to replace it with the pure heart of our Savior. He is willing to transform us today.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
In my distress I cried unto the LORD, and he heard me.
- Psalms 120:1

blazingthru

Never Slumbers

AN AMAZING FACT: One U.S. president was said to have slept through his entire term of office! He was David Rice Atchison, but you probably haven’t heard of him and very few have.
Here’s how it supposedly happened: James Polk’s term as the 11th president expired on Saturday, March 3, 1849. President-elect Zachary Taylor did not want to be inaugurated on a Sunday; he preferred the ceremonies to be held on Monday, March 5. Yet the United States could not be without a leader, even for 24 hours, so the next person in line was President Pro-tem of the Senate, who happened to be Senator David Rice Atchison. He, therefore, took over the office for that Sunday.

Atchison later explained his “sleeping term” by saying that his last day of work in congress was so heavy and busy that he went to bed very late Saturday night exhausted. He slept soundly, even snoring, all through the day that he was president—March 4, 1849. How sad to be president for a day and not remember a single minute!

The Bible tells us we can trust on help coming from God, who made heaven and earth. David writes, “He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep” (Psalm 121:3, 4). Jesus demonstrated that same tenacity in the garden of Gethsemane before the crucifixion. Weighed down with the sins of the world, Christ asked His disciples to pray for Him, but they fell asleep.

We can trust our Lord to stay awake and watch over us. God doesn’t fall asleep on us, not even for a single minute.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet.
- Proverbs 3:24

blazingthru

Never Too Young

AN AMAZING FACT: The youngest reigning monarch today is King Oyo. At 19 years of age, he rules the Kingdom of Toro, which is one of four kingdoms in the country of Uganda.
King Oyo—whose real name is Rukirabasaija Oyo Nyimba Kabamba Iguru Rukidi IV—actually ascended to the throne when he was just three years old. Born in 1992, he was forced to become ruler of the kingdom in 1995 when his father unexpectedly passed away. Upon his ascension, he became the 13th ruler in the kingdom’s 180-year history and, not surprisingly, he became—and still is—the youngest monarch in the world.

As can be expected, he was aided in his rule by three regents—his mother, aunt, and godmother—until he was 18. These three ladies helped rule over the affairs of the kingdom and trained him to be king. At age 19, he had full control over all the affairs of Toro, a task that is large for anyone, never mind a 19 year old!

The Bible details a number of young rulers as well. One of those was King Josiah who, at the age of eight, became king of Judah. What was most remarkable about Josiah’s reign, however, was not that he was so young. What was most remarkable was the fact that he “did what was right in the sight of the Lord” (2 Kings 22:2) and restored true worship among God’s people.

This is particularly noteworthy because Josiah’s reign came during a dark period in Israel’s and Judah’s history. Thus, this young man was able to restore—at least for a season—the worship of the true God when all else seemed hopeless.

Josiah’s example should be encouraging to all of us—whether young, old, or anywhere in between. Enabled by God’s grace, we can stand tall for Him.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
- 1 Timothy 4:12

blazingthru

Focusing

AN AMAZING FACT: Each day you are bombarded with billions of bits of sensory input, most of which you ignore. If you tried to focus on every sound, noise, light, picture, word, smell, and talk coming your way, you’d go crazy. You were created with a special filtering system in your brain called the Reticular Activating System (RAS), which allows you to focus on what is most important.

Imagine yourself walking through a busy airport. There are hundreds of people walking past you, lots of noise from talking, announcements being made over loudspeakers, jet airplanes taking off, lights flashing, little shops advertising their goods, and small restaurants with the smell of food wafting about. How much of this do you notice? Probably not much, especially if you are focused on getting somewhere. Suddenly, over the PA system, your name is announced. Amidst all of that noise and confusion your brain picks up this one bit of information. How can it do this?

Thanks to a bundle of nerves the size of your finger that runs from your upper spinal cord deep into your brain stem, God created you with an internal secretary that helps filter millions of bits of information coming at you at any given moment. The RAS helps you to be awake, to focus, and to set goals. When you decide you need to get to a certain destination, this part of your brain helps keep you on track. It is also tuned into “red flags” or “danger” input that catches your attention and protects you.

The Lord has given us the ability to learn to focus on what is most important. We are not helpless victims of our environments. We can choose to think about the right things. Paul writes about this when he says, “Finally brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things” (Philippians 4:8).

The devil has plenty of stimuli to send your way today. What will you focus on?

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
- Philippians 4:9

blazingthru

The Centurion’s Faith

AN AMAZING FACT: Centurions of ancient Rome were usually in charge of a unit consisting of 80 men, though some controlled larger groups. A centurion was recognized by the sword on his left side and the dagger on his right, the sideways horsehair crest on his helmet, an armored shirt, and metal awards displayed on his chest.
Where did the centurion get his faith? Raised in a heathen nation and trained in a brutal military system, he was hardly the type of person you would expect to have faith in Jesus.

The centurion had a tender heart, for he loved his sick servant. He wanted him well and sought out Jesus to heal him. He had a love for the Jewish nation too; he had built them a synagogue.

He was also a humble man. The centurion sent this message to Jesus: “I’m not worthy to have You come into my house, Lord. Just say the word, and my servant will be well.”

Jesus was amazed by the centurion’s belief in Him. He hadn’t seen “such great faith, not even in Israel!”—not even among the people who were taught the Scriptures from childhood, the people who were supposed to be the most godly on Earth.

The centurion was a man of authority, but he recognized a far greater authority in Jesus. His eyes of faith saw that Jesus was the Commander of the universe.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Then Jesus went with them. And when he was now not far from the house, the centurion sent friends to him, saying unto him, Lord, trouble not thyself: for I am not worthy that thou shouldest enter under my roof: Wherefore neither thought I myself worthy to come unto thee: but say in a word, and my servant shall be healed.
- Luke 7:6-7

And they that were sent, returning to the house, found the servant whole that had been sick.
- Luke 7:10

blazingthru

God’s Many Children

AN AMAZING FACT: Multiple births of humans are fairly common with two or three babies at a time, known as twins and triplets. Siblings of multiple births result either from a single egg (monozygotic) that splits into two or more embryos and are identical. Siblings from multiple eggs (dizygotic) are referred to as fraternal. Polyzygotic multiples represent a combination of identical and fraternal siblings.
One way for a family to grow rapidly is through multiple births. Imagine mom coming home from the hospital with three babies instead of one! Multiple births of as many as eight babies have been born alive, the first set on record to the Chukwu family in Texas in 1998; one died and seven survived. In 2009, a second set, the Suleman octuplets, was born in Bellflower, California. To date, all eight have survived. There have been a few sets of nonuplets (nine) in which a few babies were born alive, though none lived longer than a few days. Twins are the most common type of multiple births and happen in one out of 80 pregnancies. Triplets happen about every 8,000 births.

The book of 1 Chronicles begins with a genealogy of Adam’s family down through many generations. In this family tree the most popular set of twins in Scripture is identified, Esau and Jacob. The list culminates with the most important figure, Jacob, who is considered the most prominent patriarch. Why? The 12 tribes of Israel were established from his children. Chronicles relates the history of Israel from its ancestral roots, showing how God has a plan for His children.

Whether you were born as a singleton (single birth) or a quintuplet (five births), you are a precious child of God and are part of a royal lineage that will live forever. As you read through the family tree lists in Scripture, remember that you are part of a very large family!
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
- 1 John 3:1

blazingthru

The Royal Line

An Amazing Fact: The Queen of England owns all the whales, dolphins, and sturgeons for three miles off the coast of the United Kingdom. This has been the case for British royalty since the statute of 1324 was issued during the reign of King Edward II.

The Royal Family’s reign spans 37 generations and 1,209 years. All of the monarchs are descendants of King Alfred the Great, who reigned in 871. Their history includes everything from knights in shining armor and beheadings to Queen Elizabeth II and her current total of nine thrones—one at the House of Lords, two in Westminster Abbey, and six in Buckingham Palace’s Throne Room. Many are intrigued by royalty—in fact, many roused early to watch the wedding between Prince William and his princess.

In light of the line of this regal family, think about this: Your King has existed forever, not just some 1,200 years. God’s throne is in the throne room of all throne rooms. He owns the whole world. He made the whole world! He has chosen you and trusts you to be His light in the world, His ambassador (2 Corinthians 5:20). Because of Jesus:

• You are important—your name is written in heaven (Luke 10:20).
• You are His friend (John 15:14).
• You are clean through the word that Jesus has spoken to you (John 15:3).

Jesus gave Himself for you to impart His perfect life to you. What’s more, He would have given Himself just for you. When you give your heart and life to Him, you become a part of His lineage. What will you do with this inestimable value He has placed on you?

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
- Matthew 1:1

And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
- Matthew 1:16

And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
- Matthew 1:21

blazingthru

Brought Back

An Amazing Fact: Believe it or not, in January 1942, Russian Lieutenant Chisov survived a 22,000-foot fall without a parachute from his badly damaged plane. He providentially fell on the edge of a ravine covered with snow and, because he struck it glancingly, slid as he landed. He was badly injured but survived and eventually returned to his duties.

An even more incredible escape happened to U.S. Flight Sergeant Alkemade in 1944, when he jumped from his blazing bomber over Germany without a parachute. He fell 18,000 feet, but a fir tree broke the fall as he continued downwards into a knee-high bank of snow. The damage? None!

On July 9, 1960, Roger Woodard became the first person known to survive a plunge over Niagara Falls without a barrel. He and a friend were boating above the falls when the motor failed. A huge wave overturned the boat, throwing both into the swift current. Roger’s companion vanished, while he, wearing a life jacket, was swept over the 162-foot precipice. The tourist boat Maid of the Mist happened to be at the bottom of the falls, and the captain heard Roger crying, “Help!” A year later Woodard accepted Christ as his Savior, and said, “I guess the Lord saved me the first time so that I could be saved the second time.”

David writes about the joyful return of God’s people to Zion. “When the Lord brought back the captivity of Zion, we were like those who dream. Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing. Then they said among the nations, ‘The Lord has done great things for them’” (Psalm 126:1, 2).

Don’t wait for a near-death experience to return to God. The Lord welcomes you with joy. Perhaps it seems like a dream now, but when we walk into the New Jerusalem, we will surely sing, “The Lord has done great things for us, and we are glad!” (v. 3).

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
But if ye turn unto me, and keep my commandments, and do them; though there were of you cast out unto the uttermost part of the heaven, yet will I gather them from thence, and will bring them unto the place that I have chosen to set my name there.
- Nehemiah 1:9

blazingthru

Big Winds

AN AMAZING FACT: Many wanted to build a bridge to connect San Francisco to Marin County. San Francisco was the largest American city still served primarily by ferryboats. Experts said that a bridge couldn’t be built across the 6,700-foot strait. It had strong, swirling tides and currents, water 500 feet in depth at the center of the channel, and frequent strong winds. They also said ferocious winds and blinding fogs would prevent construction and operation.
When construction began on the Golden Gate Bridge on January 5, 1933, Joseph B. Strauss, chief engineer, was adamant about using the most rigorous safety precautions in the history of bridge building. Hard hats, not commonly used, with glare-free goggles were specially designed for workers. Special hand and face cream protected the workers against the constant biting wind. The most conspicuous precaution was the safety net, suspended under the entire floor of the bridge from end to end. During construction, the net saved the lives 19 men who became known with affection as the Half-Way-to-Hell Club.

Weather conditions have closed the bridge three times: December 1, 1951, because of gusts of 69 mph; December 23, 1982, because of winds of 70 mph; and December 3, 1983, because of wind gusts of 75 mph.

Jesus’ disciples once found their lives at risk because of strong winds while sailing across a lake. “As they sailed … a windstorm came down on the lake, and they were filling with water, and were in jeopardy” (Luke 8:23). But the winds did not stop Christ from sleeping in the boat. “Then He arose and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water. And they ceased, and there was a calm” (v. 24).

Experts said a bridge couldn’t be built across a deep channel of sin and raging winds. But Christ became a bridge to heaven. Jesus laid down His life that we could cross over in safety to a better land. I’m glad our Lord didn’t listen to the experts!
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
But the men marvelled, saying, What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him!
- Matthew 8:27

blazingthru

This Light of Mine

AN AMAZING FACT: Chips, a mixed-breed canine hero of World War II, participated in the invasion of Sicily. When his handler’s infantry unit was pinned down by gunfire, Chips broke away and charged the machine gun team. The Italian unit abandoned their fortification and was captured. For bravery in this and other circumstances, Chips was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star, the Purple Heart, and eight battle stars. These were later revoked by a new policy stating that animals could not receive military decorations.
During World War II, some of America’s cities ordered citywide blackouts because of the bomb threat. Windows were covered with black shades, cars drove without headlights, and men were not to smoke a cigarette outside—it was said a lighted match could be seen from the air miles away. One family was instructed to extinguish the fire in their fireplace because of the glow from the chimney. The block warden warned, “One small light could change everything.”

In the darkness of that long-ago night in Bethlehem, Jesus became that one small light. He changed everything. He said, “I am the light of the world. He who follows me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life” (John 8:12). He proclaims, “You are the light of the world” (Matthew 5:14). You and I are the ones He depends on to show His love to a dying world.

“God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. … If we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin” (1 John 1:5–7 NIV). That’s it—fellowship with one another! That’s how we share the light.

Some believe that those who have won many to righteousness will shine as the stars forever and ever. But unlike Chips, those stars won’t be taken away.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;
- 1 Peter 2:9

blazingthru

Big Songs

AN AMAZING FACT: You might have noticed that often the smallest birds have the most interesting songs. The various wrens, for example, are among the smallest birds in North America, but they have incredibly loud voices and many complex songs. On the other hand, while bald eagles are among the largest of all birds, their “song” and calls are unremarkable unless threatened by some predator. Eagles are indeed loud, but they have a limited vocabulary
Have you ever noticed in early summer that the hills are alive with the sound of birds singing? These beautiful creatures made for our enjoyment actually sing for many different reasons. There are basically two categories of bird sounds: songs and calls. Singing primarily happens around mating and nesting season. Calls happen all the time and mainly communicate messages to other birds, often in shorter and clipped chirps. Songs are usually longer and more complex.

Birds sing to stake out their territory, defend their turf, identify themselves, attract the opposite sex, stimulate nest building, and encourage the female to incubate her eggs. Some studies also show that birds sing just because they like to sing! Biologists have also discovered that birds have accents; the same cardinal in Indiana might sound slightly different than one in Florida.

Paul writes, “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord” (Colossians 3:16). “Admonish” means to warn or notify. It can also mean to reprove gently or to counsel against wrong practices. Singing can be more than expressing thanks to the Lord, it can guide and instruct us as well.

Perhaps we can learn from the songs of the birds. When the enemy intrudes on our territory, we can sing to drive him away. When the devil tells us lies (“You are a no good, worthless person…”) we can identify ourselves in song as God’s beloved children. When a friend is discouraged, we can sing words to point them to Jesus.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
- Matthew 6:26

blazingthru

Salted Speech

AN AMAZING FACT: In ancient times, salt was a valuable trade item. The price of salt was so high during the Middle Ages that people sometimes called it “white gold.” Up until the 1900s, people in Ethiopia used one-pound bars of salt as currency.
Jesus said, “You are the salt of the earth” (Matthew 5:13). What did He mean by this metaphor? Well, salt is a seasoning. Jesus’ disciples are meant to add a flavor of godliness to the world. Salt is also a preservative. By living pure lives and influencing those around them, true disciples of Christ help to preserve the world from moral decay.

In Paul’s writings to the early Christians, he urged them to “walk in wisdom toward those who are outside” so they might have a positive influence on those around them—so they might be good witnesses for Christ (Colossians 4:5).

He also emphasized the importance of a believer’s speech toward unbelievers. Words can help or hurt. They can build others up or tear them down. Paul advised, “Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one” (Colossians 4:6).

Speaking with grace involves kindness, compassion, and a forgiving spirit in our communication with another person.

Seasoning our conversation with salt can mean using Christian tact, comforting and encouraging someone who is hurting, and flavoring our words so that the other person might be prompted to consider spiritual truth or learn more about God.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving;
- Colossians 4:2

Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
- Colossians 4:5-6

blazingthru

Big Numbers

AN AMAZING FACT: There are a lot of big numbers in the world. Americans spend $300,000,000 per day on clothes. The human body contains 70,000 miles of blood vessels. And the earth weights approximately 6,588,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons!
Numbers are fascinating, and people enjoy counting things. For instance, more than 15,000,000,000 prizes have been given away in Cracker Jack’s boxes. People have about 100,000 hairs growing on their heads (some of us have a few less!). There are 31,536,000 seconds in a year. And there are about 8,000,000 words in the English language.

The largest number in the English language with a word naming it is googolplex. This number is equal to 10 to the power of a googol, or 1010^100, which would be written as 1 followed by 10100 zeroes. There are fewer particles in the entire universe than this huge number. The words “googol” and “googolplex” were both suggested in the 1930s by the nine-year-old nephew of mathematician Dr. Edward Kasner.

As technology has increased, the methods of “people counting” has also become more sophisticated. Pointing at people as they walk by was replaced with handheld tally counters to count people. Now you can use infrared beams, computer vision, thermal imaging, and even synthetic intelligence to count people.

According to the Bible, King David was tempted to count people when it was not the Lord’s will. “Now Satan stood up against Israel, and moved David to number Israel” (1 Chronicles 21:1). It appears David felt threatened by a military opponent, and instead of consulting with God, he counted the size of his army. Even Joab, his commanding officer, didn’t like the idea.

We can be tempted to count out big numbers to make ourselves look better than we are. It can lead us to trust in our own power, our own money, or our own things instead of realizing that our numbers will never add up to what God can provide. You can count on the Lord!
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;
- Revelation 7:9

blazingthru

Truth Matters
AN AMAZING FACT: Victor Lustig was one of the most talented tricksters who ever lived. His master con was pretending to be a government official and sending six scrap metal dealers invitations to discuss the sale of the Eiffel Tower. He told them the upkeep on the tower was too costly and the city wanted to sell it for scrap. He actually sold it to one of the dealers and took a train to Vienna with a suitcase full of cash! A year later, his luck ran out—he was arrested for counterfeiting and eventually died in prison in 1947.
One day a mother-in-law was playing with her granddaughter, who evidently had tried to win a game with a deceptive move. The woman gave a careful admonition to the little girl not to ever, in any way, do or say anything that even hinted at being untrue or deceitful.

What a wonderful piece of advice.

It’s pretty clear when God says, “You shall not steal. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor” (Exodus 20:15, 16). We also might hear the oft-used quote, “Honesty is the best policy.” Here’s another one: “Love truthfulness and honesty. These are sacred treasures.” A character in Shakespeare’s Hamlet says, “To thine own self be true ... thou canst not then be false to any man.”

Can you be trusted? Let’s be of more character than Victor Lustig. Let’s strive to be like Paul, worthy of imitation: “Therefore I urge you to imitate me. I am sending to you Timothy. … He will remind you of my way of life in Christ Jesus, which agrees with what I teach everywhere in every church” (1 Corinthians 4:16, 17 NIV).
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment.
- Proverbs 12:19

Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight.
- Proverbs 12:22

A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.
- Proverbs 15:4

blazingthru

The Greatest

AN AMAZING FACT: Jackie Robinson is one of the greatest sports heroes of all time. An African-American baseball player, he is regarded as a sporting legend. In 1947 he became the first black player in major league baseball. He was elected the National League’s most valuable player in 1949. He was also inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1962, the first black person to gain this honor.
Who is the greatest sport athlete of all-time? There are lots of opinions, of course, but some of the top stars might include Michael Jordan, Babe Ruth, Johnny Unitas, Nile Kinnick, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Joe DiMaggio, Billie Jean King, and the entire 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team. But how could we forget David Robinson, Walter Payton, Hank Aaron, Muhammad Ali, Wilt Chamberlain, Cal Ripken, Lance Armstrong, Jesse Owens, Arnold Palmer, Arthur Ashe, or Ted Williams?

There are many lists of greatest sports heroes of all time, and it’s interesting that none of them exactly agree. Almost all of them are about adult men and women who can throw the farthest, jump the highest, hit the hardest, or run the fastest. How do you judge who is the greatest sports hero? By the number of trophies or touchdowns? Perhaps it is by the number of medals or records broken.

Jesus overhead His disciples arguing one day about “who is the greatest.” “And Jesus, perceiving the thought of their heart, took a little child and set him by Him, and said to them, ‘Whoever receives this little child in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me receives Him who sent Me. For he who is least among you all will be great’” (Luke 9:47, 48).

God’s measurement of the greatest is different from man’s. Our Lord sees greatness in humble service. You put yourself at the top of His list by bowing low in service. You are lifted up when you kneel down. The next time you think about the greatest sports heroes of all time, think about how many are willing to sacrifice self in order to lift up others.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.
- Matthew 19:30

blazingthru

Fire From Heaven

AN AMAZING FACT: In Jesus’ day, the Samaritans were a large group. Through the years, wars such as the Third Samaritan Revolt and other calamities reduced their numbers a great deal. It is estimated that there are now just over 700 people remaining who are descended from the biblical Samaritans.
On His last journey to Jerusalem, Jesus planned to stay in a Samaritan village. He sent James and John ahead to prepare the way. But because He was headed for Jerusalem, the prejudiced Samaritans didn’t want Him there.

This infuriated James and John. “Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them, just as Elijah did?” James and John thought they were doing Jesus a favor. In their “righteous” indignation, they thought it was a good idea to just wipe these people off the map!

Imagine their surprise when Jesus rebuked them. “You do not know what manner of spirit you are of. For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives but to save them” (Luke 9:55, 56).

When Jesus is rejected, He doesn’t take revenge. He will not force people to accept Him. But someone who rejects Him today could still bow at His feet tomorrow. He waits with patience and mercy because He wants everyone to be saved.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem, And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him. And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem. And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.
- Luke 9:51-56

blazingthru

Kings of the Earth

AN AMAZING FACT: According to legend, Gordius was a Greek peasant who became king of Phrygia—because he was the first man to drive into town after an oracle had commanded his countrymen to select as ruler the first person who would drive into the public square in a wagon!
In gratitude, Gordius dedicated his wagon to the god Zeus and tied the tongue of the wagon securely in the temple grove with a thick strong rope. The knot was so intricately entwined that no one could undo it. Many tried, but all failed. Yet a prophet said that whoever succeeded in loosing the difficult knot would become the ruler of all Asia. Hearing this, Alexander the Great unsuccessfully attempted to untie the complex Gordian knot, so he drew his sword and cut it through with a single stroke. Alexander, of course, went on to become the ruler of Asia and beyond. The expression “to cut the Gordian knot” is now used for resolving a difficult problem by a quick and decisive action.

But Alexander the Great had another difficult problem. He was ruler of Macedonia at age 16, a victorious general at 18, and king at 20—and then what happened to the great king? After Alexander began a second night of carousing in Babylon with 20 guests, he drank to the health of every person at the table. For Proteas, a Macedonian in his company, Alexander called for Hercules’ cup, which had a huge capacity. After filling it, he drank it all down. Soon he fell to the floor, was fever stricken, and—a few days later—dead. He had conquered the then-known world, but not himself.

There is little to praise in the kings of the Earth. David looked forward to a future time when, “All the kings of the earth shall praise You, O Lord, when they hear the words of Your mouth. Yes, they shall sing of the ways of the Lord, for great is the glory of the Lord” (Psalm 138:4, 5).

Join your voice in praising the Ruler of our universe and make the Lord the king of your heart.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvellous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints.
- Revelation 15:3

blazingthru

Bedrock

AN AMAZING FACT: Hoover Dam is located on the border between the states of Arizona and Nevada. Enough rock was excavated in its construction to have built the Great Wall of China. The dam was built to last 2,000 years—the concrete in it will not even be fully cured for another 500 years.
Though workers probably experienced a great deal of elation over the completion of Hoover Dam, it can’t even compare with the gratification, pleasure, thrill, and worship associated with Solomon’s completion of the temple of the Lord. “The trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the Lord … the house of the Lord was filled with a cloud, so that the priests could not continue ministering because of the cloud; for the glory of the Lord filled the house of God” (2 Chronicles 5:13, 14).

Have you ever built something with your hands? You know, there are ways to build other than excavating, pouring concrete, framing, putting up rafters, or pounding nails. Every one of us does it every day in some way. We either build up or tear down.

Actually, by giving ourselves to God, we are in His workshop. We all need our rough edges removed, the uneven surfaces smoothed, to become ready for heaven. God desires everyone who confesses Him to become an earnest worker for Him, building upon the rock of Jesus Christ. Dig deep—avoid the sand bed, hunt for the rock, and lay your foundation on Him. When trials come to test you, your foundation will be sure.

Praise the Lord for His work in your life. May His glory fill us like the temple of old.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
- Matthew 7:26

And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
- Matthew 7:27

blazingthru

A Purity Plea
AN AMAZING FACT: The word “porn” is the fourth-highest ranked search term by children under seven years old, and the average age when a person first views porn is only 11 years old. About 40 million adults visit pornographic websites daily. It shouldn’t be a surprise that nearly half of all divorces list porn as a contributing factor.
The statistics on what some call “the most destructive force in our culture” are staggering. More than 11 million Americans have a sexual addiction. Child porn generates about $3 billion annually. At least 25 percent of all employees who use the Internet look at porn do so at work. It truly is a road to hell with broken people lying all over the place. Our society continues to wave the “freedom” banner while millions walk into slavery, looking for love in all the wrong places.

The apostle Paul does not turn a blind eye to the problem of sexual addiction. He makes a plea for purity. “For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality; that each of you should know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor, not in passion of lust, like the Gentiles who do not know God; that no one should take advantage of and defraud his brother in this matter” (1 Thessalonians 4:3–6). The Roman culture to which Paul wrote was sexually permissive. His challenge to instill the notion of purity in their culture would be even more relevant today.

If you struggle with sexual addiction, you need to face this ugly sin with a passion of someone going to war to conquer an enemy. Consider these three steps: Admit you have a problem, get help with accountability, and remove all impurity from your life. Make a clean break and begin filling your mind with the pure things of God. You cannot find victory on your own. Your battle is really an obsession with self. Growing in Christ is learning to live for others, not your feelings. Your choices do not affect only you, they negatively impact those around you. So choose purity and experience real freedom.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
- Colossians 3:5

blazingthru

Treasuring the Words of Jesus

AN AMAZING FACT: The original biblical town of Bethany, home of Mary, Martha, and Lazarus, is believed to have been situated on the southeastern slope of the Mount of Olives, less than two miles from Jerusalem. Historians believe the town was the site of an almshouse for the poor. Its name is derived from words in at least two languages that mean “house of the poor” or “house of poverty.”
According to the Bible, Martha welcomed Jesus and His disciples into her house. That apparently launched her into a frenzy of activity. She probably felt a little overwhelmed at having to prepare food and accommodations for all those men. Under the stress of the moment, she accused her sister, Mary, of leaving her to serve alone.

Unlike the “distracted” Martha, Mary realized this was the opportunity of a lifetime. The Messiah, the very Son of God, had come to her house to visit. She could sit at his feet and listen to soul-rousing truths that she had never heard before, at least not the way Jesus told them.

As Jesus made clear to the sisters, while there’s nothing wrong with serving, there is something more vital. What Martha needed, we all need—more attention to the things of God, the things that last forever. We need to sit at the feet of Jesus and treasure His every word.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
- Luke 10:38-42

blazingthru

Persistence

AN AMAZING FACT: If you put a buzzard in a 6-foot-by-8-foot pen that’s entirely open at the top, the bird, despite its ability to fly, will be an absolute prisoner. Why? A buzzard always begins flight with a run of 10 to 12 feet. Without this runway, it will not even attempt to fly—but will remain a prisoner for life, waddling around in a small jail with an open top.
Another animal that will not persist in trying to fly is the common bat. It is a remarkably nimble night creature in the air, but it cannot take off from a level place. If it’s placed on flat ground, all it can do is shuffle about, helplessly and painfully, until it reaches some slanted ground from which to launch itself.

On the other hand, a common little insect teaches us a great deal about effort. The bumblebee, if dropped into an open glass tumbler, will stay there until it dies. It never sees the means of escape at the top but persists in trying to find some way out through near the bottom. It will continue to seek until it completely destroys itself through exhaustion.

Jesus tells a story of persistence. He spoke of a friend coming at midnight who was hungry. So this man went to his neighbor to ask for three loaves of bread so he could feed his friend. The neighbor did not want to be bothered. It was late, and he was already in bed! But notice, “I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs” (Luke 11:8).

Christ teaches us that we need to be more like a bumblebee than a bat or buzzard. When we pray to the Lord we are much too quick to give up. “What’s the use,” we think, “It doesn’t matter.” But Jesus tells us that when it comes to prayer, persistence matters! Instead of ending up in the bottom of a jar, we will find a way out—and the direction of escape is above!
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;
- Luke 18:1