Relaxed Hair Thread

SuchaLady

No not yet but that's because they don't know yet I'm not as far along as you though
I'm also using heat regularly to blend
Once my family catches on to the fact that I haven't relaxed in awhile they're gonna start :nono:
I'm hiding it from them for as long as possible :lachen:

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

:lachen::lachen: I missed this post. I wish I could've done the last sentence but it was already underprocessed so it's been looking natural for awhile now. :look:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
divachyk

I found the link https://smoothcuticles.wordpress.com/2013/04/07/relaxer-and-wash-day/

That's how I do the half and half method and I do right to left. This works well for me with no more than 14 minutes (of that) each side though I prefer 10.

I'm not sure what's going on with your stylist, but you may a) being using too much protein or b) not be neutralizing for long enough. The last option is that both could be occurring at the same time. If your gonna go to a stylist, might as well let her complete the entire task. It doesn't hurt and you already paid for the service.

shasha8685

Think I'm gonna bun it this week and give my hair a break from the heat. :yep:

I need to stop being lazy and venture out to this BSS in Alexandria so that I can finally try this Darcy's Botanicals condish.

sunnieb

sunnieb, I have viewed your fotki -- how do you get the relaxer to the areas inside the twist if you do not untwist them?

SuchaLady, I've done it that way before (back in the day.) The most attractive method thus far is sunnieb's. I'm waiting for her to chime in. It seems like a lot of work on the front end but saves time when applying the relaxer.

divachyk you thinking of joining us on the self-relaxed side of the house?? :grin:

I start each twist where the newgrowth ends. So when I apply the relaxer, I pick up each twist and apply the cream at the base of thw twist. I don't apply any relaxer directly to the twisted hair -but some will always get on there. Hence, coating with oil before twisting.

While rinsing in the shower, each twist unravels under the water and I proceed to the mid-relaxer protein step.

tapioca_pudding

Hi ladies :wavey:

I bought ORS normal lye relaxer today on my lunch break. That's what I used back in the day when I was relaxed so I figured I would use it again.

Do you ladies suggest doing a protein treatment two days before I relax, or just doing a mid-protien step during the relaxer?

I will say that I am nervous for a few reasons, mainly because I don't know what to expect. But I'm hoping for good results that I can manage, with little to no breakage.

This thread is really great from what I've read so far.

tapioca_pudding

Also, does anyone still spray their hair with SAA before relaxing? Back in the day there was a great long thread about how adding silk amino acids to either your relaxer or your hair prior to relaxing helped strengthen the hair, etc. I was thinking of trying it out.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Hi ladies :wavey: I bought ORS normal lye relaxer today on my lunch break. That's what I used back in the day when I was relaxed so I figured I would use it again. Do you ladies suggest doing a protein treatment two days before I relax, or just doing a mid-protien step during the relaxer? I will say that I am nervous for a few reasons, mainly because I don't know what to expect. But I'm hoping for good results that I can manage, with little to no breakage. This thread is really great from what I've read so far.

I use protein up to 3 days before relaxing without a problem but it could keep more texture in the hair. Doing a MPS step is good, but it's going to add some texture back. ORS left me too processed so I'd recommend the MPS.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Also, does anyone still spray their hair with SAA before relaxing? Back in the day there was a great long thread about how adding silk amino acids to either your relaxer or your hair prior to relaxing helped strengthen the hair, etc. I was thinking of trying it out.

I replied back in that thread but it does work well. The runoff causes less damage in the long run.

LaurenMechelle

Anyone use Mizani Butter Blends with success? Do you use mild or normal?

Can someone point me to a good self-relaxing technique. I seen Just Grow Already's but I know that wouldn't work for me. I need either an all-over relax at once method or a half & half side to side method vs. front and back.

My technique: I make a part ear to ear, then separate that front big section into 3 smaller sections & bantu knot them. I make another part ear to ear, but going around the back of my head. That gets pulled up on top and put into a bantu knot. The last section gets parted down the middle into 2 sections, and bantu knotted. When I relax, I start with the front. Apply relaxer along hairline & edges of the 3 sections, then take down each section one at a time. I work my way through the front sections, making small horizontal parts, applying relaxer along the part to the top of the below section, and the bottom of the top section, smoothing with a stick as I go. When I've finished all three, I use the stick to smooth along my hairline, then rinse & neutralize twice. I don't rinse out the neutralizer the second time, just squeeze out the shampoo and put it up in one bantu knot. For the rest of my hair, I use my fingers, no parting/stick smoothing (except for the nape of my neck). I just use my fingers to distribute relaxer in the big sections. Then I jump in the shower and neutralize everything twice & style as normal. Works for me every time, no burns or over processing. I don't use the stick on the back parts because I don't want to process those areas too much - keeping them under-processed gives me great body!

LaurenMechelle

Any pics of relaxed hair perm rod sets? I have a bunch of perm rods and don't know what to do with them/

I've used them on the ends of twists & braids when doing braid/twistouts... I think my hair would take foreverrrrr to dry if I just did a regular set on them... but the curls would prob be to die for! :drool: :lick:

mshoneyfly

My technique: I make a part ear to ear, then separate that front big section into 3 smaller sections & bantu knot them. I make another part ear to ear, but going around the back of my head. That gets pulled up on top and put into a bantu knot. The last section gets parted down the middle into 2 sections, and bantu knotted. When I relax, I start with the front. Apply relaxer along hairline & edges of the 3 sections, then take down each section one at a time. I work my way through the front sections, making small horizontal parts, applying relaxer along the part to the top of the below section, and the bottom of the top section, smoothing with a stick as I go. When I've finished all three, I use the stick to smooth along my hairline, then rinse & neutralize twice. I don't rinse out the neutralizer the second time, just squeeze out the shampoo and put it up in one bantu knot. For the rest of my hair, I use my fingers, no parting/stick smoothing (except for the nape of my neck). I just use my fingers to distribute relaxer in the big sections. Then I jump in the shower and neutralize everything twice & style as normal. Works for me every time, no burns or over processing. I don't use the stick on the back parts because I don't want to process those areas too much - keeping them under-processed gives me great body!

Sounds like a good technique...minus applying to the hairline and edges first. I make all my partings before I begin applying. I only smooth the front and crown area as well bc the back is much softer and easier to manage. I do the edges and nape about 2 minutes before its time to rinse.

I might try spraying my hair with a SAA solution or making a paste with the powder I have to add to the texturizer on my next TU.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Lymegreen

I wish I could cut my own hair, but I'm not even tempted to experiment with that... I have it cut every 6 month(ish), and get long layers, cut straight across in back.

Thanks! I'm going to use that description next time I get a cut. As my hair gets longer I don't know the right way to describe what I want.

LaurenMechelle

Thanks! I'm going to use that description next time I get a cut. As my hair gets longer I don't know the right way to describe what I want.

I also brought a bunch of pictures of what I wanted - I probably looked like a crazy woman :lachen:

I made sure to demonstrate what length I consider to be a long layer too... One time I got 2 inch "long layers" at my crown, and spent the next 2 years getting back to normal. I think chin length or a bit longer is a good length for the shortest layer.

SuchaLady

Blueberry Passion Fruit Control Paste! :drool:

brownb83

Any pics of relaxed hair perm rod sets? I have a bunch of perm rods and don't know what to do with them/

I will post pics Thursday when do mine. I love them!

It takes about a hour and a half to dry under my lcl.

Last edited:

SunySydeofLyfe

LaurenMechelle Let me say you have beautiful hair!

And I want to thank you for sharing your journey after I looked at your blog over and over I saw you mention the garnier 3 minute undo, I went on a mad search for it...the first store had the garnier triple nutrition conditioner for 3 dollars, I was disappointed cause I wanted what you had, lol.....but I am in love! I had been dealing with webbing, tangling and trouble detangling wet or dry. This product made my hair and me so happy after the first use, I could actually detangle my hair wet! I thought surely it was a fluke so I tried it again a few days later and the same results and even better I had one or two strands in the shower and almost none in my comb! I have been buying other garnier products to test them the fall fight line is next on my to try!!!

Thank you and keep sharing!!!!

sunnieb

Hi ladies :wavey:

I bought ORS normal lye relaxer today on my lunch break. That's what I used back in the day when I was relaxed so I figured I would use it again.

Do you ladies suggest doing a protein treatment two days before I relax, or just doing a mid-protien step during the relaxer?

I will say that I am nervous for a few reasons, mainly because I don't know what to expect. But I'm hoping for good results that I can manage, with little to no breakage.

This thread is really great from what I've read so far.

tapioca_pudding I'm so excited for you! I love that you are doing plenty of research beforehand! :yep:

I do a light protein dc 3 days prior to relaxing and I also do the mid-relaxer protein step. Then my first dc after a fresh relaxer is light protein again. From there I alternate between protein and moisturizing dc's.

LaurenMechelle

LaurenMechelle Let me say you have beautiful hair! And I want to thank you for sharing your journey after I looked at your blog over and over I saw you mention the garnier 3 minute undo, I went on a mad search for it...the first store had the garnier triple nutrition conditioner for 3 dollars, I was disappointed cause I wanted what you had, lol.....but I am in love! I had been dealing with webbing, tangling and trouble detangling wet or dry. This product made my hair and me so happy after the first use, I could actually detangle my hair wet! I thought surely it was a fluke so I tried it again a few days later and the same results and even better I had one or two strands in the shower and almost none in my comb! I have been buying other garnier products to test them the fall fight line is next on my to try!!! Thank you and keep sharing!!!!

SO HAPPY to hear this!!! I live & die by that conditioner... It is amazing and it's insane to me that it's so inexpensive!! I'll see if I can find a link for the Undo online @ a reasonable price, it's an amazing deep condish!!

SunySydeofLyfe

SO HAPPY to hear this!!! I live & die by that conditioner... It is amazing and it's insane to me that it's so inexpensive!! I'll see if I can find a link for the Undo online @ a reasonable price, it's an amazing deep condish!!

I found it! Thanks! I went to WallyWorld and they had 4 piece sets for $9.88!! Winning!!! I bought 2....:grin: I am also loving the nutrient spray, I am very heavy handed and need to lighten up but I am so happy you shared this!!!!!