My Theory on castor oil in regards to growth/thickness...

Crissi

...Yay doing biology can be such a benefit. Whilst i was researching the effects temperature and Ph has on enzymes i came across castor oil. Castor oil contains the enzyme lipase, and it will work at its optimum level when it works with a Ph of 4.7. My theory is, this is probably why people experience thicker/faster/fuller growth, as the Ph of skin 4.5-5.5, therefore giving castor oil the enviroment it needs to work at its optimal level.

Just something I thought i'd share

Crissi, X

ritzbitz78

What does the enzyme lipase do exactly to help with hair growth?

It must be working on the scalp, or the hair before it comes out of the scalp, if it increases the growth/thickness of hair...

tsiporah

I can give witness to saying that it works. I don't know how much my hair grows per month but it grows like a weed!!

shunta

tsiporah said:
I can give witness to saying that it works. I don't know how much my hair grows per month but it grows like a weed!!
* Grabbing purse and running out the door to go and buy some castor oil*

LuvLiLocks

Castor Oil is da truth, I need to restock now, when I was using it my hair grew really fast, and thick too...Problem is I dont know where to get it since I recently moved to another city.

Crissi

ritzbitz78 said:
What does the enzyme lipase do exactly to help with hair growth?

It must be working on the scalp, or the hair before it comes out of the scalp, if it increases the growth/thickness of hair...

Enzymes are catalysts for reactions to take place, however they work best at their optimum ph/temperature, and the optimum ph for reactions to take place effectively (in regards to castor oil), is ph 4.7, and since are skin/scalp is 4.5-5.5 it gives the lipase enzymes in the castor oil a great enviorment. I hope i made it a bit clearer for you :grin:

Crissi, x

jrae

LuvLiLocks said:
Castor Oil is da truth, I need to restock now, when I was using it my hair grew really fast, and thick too...Problem is I dont know where to get it since I recently moved to another city.
Any drugstore or pharmacy will have it. Its usually in the first aid section, often near witch hazel and epsom salts.

Last edited:

neonbright

I haven't used pure castor oil in awhile and I have to once a month take a table spoon full for my stomach problems. But I notice with the Castor Oil in the jar works for my babies hair and my hair. My baby girls hair is growing faster now than every. Her hair is very slow growing, she never lost that soft curly baby hair, it still soft and curly but growing fast.

ThursdayGirl

Crissi said:
Enzymes are catalysts for reactions to take place, however they work best at their optimum ph/temperature, and the optimum ph for reactions to take place effectively (in regards to castor oil), is ph 4.7, and since are skin/scalp is 4.5-5.5 it gives the lipase enzymes in the castor oil a great enviorment. I hope i made it a bit clearer for you :grin:

Crissi, x

I don't think that is what she is asking. I think she wants to know what lipase is specifically doing (i.e. what is the reaction) and how that relates to hair growth. I hope that made it a bit clearer for you ;)

ritzbitz78

Crissi said:

Crissi, x

I guess my question is regarding what specifically is happening through this reaction. Is it lysing protein molecules into different amino acids? Is it a anabolic, building, process?

I am just very curious.

BTW, should I get the clear castor oil or the black unrefined castor oil?

ritzbitz78

ThursdayGirl said:
I don't think that is what she is asking. I think she wants to know what lipase is specifically doing (i.e. what is the reaction) and how that relates to hair growth. I hope that made it a bit clearer for you ;)

Yes Ms. Thursday, that is what I was trying to ask. Hope Crissi comes back and clears this up for us :look:

PaperClip

What do you do with castor oil or any oils if your hair does not absorb oils directly? I vouch for the castor oil on the eyebrows, though.

Crissi

ritzbitz78 said:
I guess my question is regarding what specifically is happening through this reaction. Is it lysing protein molecules into different amino acids? Is it a anabolic, building, process?

I am just very curious.

BTW, should I get the clear castor oil or the black unrefined castor oil?

Yanno, my theory didn't make it that far :lol: , it was just a thought in development. I will ask my teacher and see if he can help me. However i'd say it would be best to get the unrefined castor oil, even my grandad (a 74 yrold man) reccomends that black castor oil... and that man knows when it comes to hair, damn he's 74 with a full head of it

belle_reveuse28

I used to have an neck length bob and I was using the Dax with CAstor Oil, the very soft kind. My hair was very thick during that time and growing usually well. This has brought my memory to that time. I"m sure my hair would have survived a lot better had I not been flat ironing that mess errrrr day! I'm sooo mad at that.. and it really made my hair very soft too (something that's quite difficult for me to come by). I think I'll jump on this too! I mean why not? You know.. !

VeryBecoming

Devil's Avocado
I have no idea what any of those things mean but I have a bottle of Jamaican Black Castor Oil that I've been neglecting because of the smell...and I'm not really sure when to use it.
I think I'll go back to it and try to figure something out!

Isis

I always use castor oil to remove eye makeup and my lashes are always long and thick. I use unrefined, cold-pressed, clear castor oil from Heritage Products at the health food store.

Aveda Anti-Humectant's main ingredient is castor oil also.

tsiporah

LOL!! Shunta. I am feelin' ya.

I will also be purchasing some Shikakai oil soon. Keeps hair in head and helps with growth also.

N

NYHoney

I am a little confused, are you ladies drinking the castor oil or applying it to your hair like the way you would use a sealant oil? I know castor oil can be consumed but is there a difference in the one that is for your scalp and for consumption. Is the castor oil that I buy in the beauty supply store for consumption?

Thanks in advance!

gymfreak336

I have an idea... Lipase is in charge of breaking down fats and what not. Well if you used something on your scalp that could help break down fatty molcules then you would be aidding the devilery of fat souble vitamins and proteins. Fatty molecule are large and if you use something to break them down then you have more access to fat soluble vitamins like vitamin a and vitamin e which we all know help aid growth. Not to mention this would aid the delivery of fatty acids to out follicules all the while dissolving build up of sebum which would also have dead skin cells and such in it as well. This would also increase the circulation this making it a better growing situation. We all know that castor oil has benefical fatty acids and vitamins in it so lipase would increase the delivery system of what we secrete as well as what is in the oil already. Just my thoughts, we will let Crissi finish investigating.

VeryBecoming

Devil's Avocado
NYHoney said:
I am a little confused, are you ladies drinking the castor oil or applying it to your hair like the way you would use a sealant oil? I know castor oil can be consumed but is there a difference in the one that is for your scalp and for consumption. Is the castor oil that I buy in the beauty supply store for consumption?

Thanks in advance!

Drinking the castor oil would be a bad idea...unless you're having um, digestion problems.

Apply it to your hair like a normal sealant oil.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
AlexB7 said:
Drinking the castor oil would be a bad idea...unless you're having um, digestion problems.

Apply it to your hair like a normal sealant oil.

I know that's right

:lachen: :lachen:

ritzbitz78

gymfreak336 said:
I have an idea... Lipase is in charge of breaking down fats and what not. Well if you used something on your scalp that could help break down fatty molcules then you would be aidding the devilery of fat souble vitamins and proteins. Fatty molecule are large and if you use something to break them down then you have more access to fat soluble vitamins like vitamin a and vitamin e which we all know help aid growth. Not to mention this would aid the delivery of fatty acids to out follicules all the while dissolving build up of sebum which would also have dead skin cells and such in it as well. This would also increase the circulation this making it a better growing situation. We all know that castor oil has benefical fatty acids and vitamins in it so lipase would increase the delivery system of what we secrete as well as what is in the oil already. Just my thoughts, we will let Crissi finish investigating.

Gymfreak, your theory sounds feasable. Me likes!

I am assuming the castor oil whether refined or unrefined is probably applied to the scalp daily and can be applied to the length of the hair for shine.

I have done searches and have heard so much good stuff about it, I can't wait to get some.

comike

Although I don't use the castor oil personally. A close friend of mine uses a castor oil mixture for scalp stimulation. She uses:
1 teaspoon sweet almond oil
1 teaspoon castor oil
5-10 drops of rosemary essential oil

Mix the oils together in a bowl (mixing with almond oil helps to improve the smell and it thins the castor oil out some since it's kind of thick) and rub into scalp twice weekly.

Last edited:

Crissi

gymfreak336 said:

I like, i don't think i can add any more to that, but i will see what i can find. Thank you for your input

Plenty

Thanks for the heads up Crissi.

I just remembered how nice and thick my hair is when I use this.

About breaking up the Fatty Acids.

There's this book that states jojoba oil also breaks up the fatty acids that are on the scalp. She also said that that sebum on the scalp is what stalls healthy hair.

I going to start using both again. Thanks for the heads up.

Plenty!