Struggling with your natural hair? Come in here.....

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
So she is all back under control.

I was having those tiny little ends breaking off. Well, 2 days ago I did a co-wash and DC with AO Blue camomile. Well, normally I DC an hour tops. Took a queue from this thread and left that bad body on for like 5 hours. Co-washed daily the last 2 days wearing a puff. And boom. Breakage gone.

Guess I needed more moisture than I thought :rolleyes:

I will do this intensive DC every 2 weeks...like I really have the time. Dang.

bluediamond0829

Right now my struggle is with spending money for protective styles that aren't lasting any longer then a 2 weeks at the most. I tried the cute cornrow style it held up great for 2 weeks. The lady that did my hair said it should hold up for 4 weeks. Nope not with my hair and even when I started working out the cornrows just crawled loose.($100 down the drain for 2 weeks).

Same thing with kinky twist I was trying to keep them in for 2 months, then it was reduced down to ok if I could just keep it for this month, nope now its down to these are coming out today!!! I am worried about my edges(which I already had some breakage from a weave), the braids already started slipping around the edges and back(another $140 gone down the drain for a 2 week hair style).

I just can't with these protective styles.

HanaKuroi

bluediamond0829 said:
Right now my struggle is with spending money for protective styles that aren't lasting any longer then a 2 weeks at the most. I tried the cute cornrow style it held up great for 2 weeks. The lady that did my hair said it should hold up for 4 weeks. Nope not with my hair and even when I started working out the cornrows just crawled loose.($100 down the drain for 2 weeks).

Same thing with kinky twist I was trying to keep them in for 2 months, then it was reduced down to ok if I could just keep it for this month, nope now its down to these are coming out today!!! I am worried about my edges(which I already had some breakage from a weave), the braids already started slipping around the edges and back(another $140 gone down the drain for a 2 week hair style).

I just can't with these protective styles.

You need to learn to style your own hair. Go to YouTube and start practicing. Think of all the money you'll save.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
agreed with Hana @bluediamond0829. Also, do you have fine strands? If you have fine Type 4b or 4zzzz hair, this seems to be the case with protective styles.

Maybe you should work on thickening the strands and moisturizing so they can be a little more resilient.

BTW, braids and such are the same with my hair. 2 weeks and it's unraveling or just toooo loose. So I learned to do it myself and loosely (under a crochet weave) and resigned to do my hair every 2 weeks. If you're not paying for it, it's not so bad.

greenandchic

DarkJoy bluediamond0829
I've always wondered about twists because they come apart too easily in my hair. I have fine strands 3c/4a and can barely keep them in overnight. Then you have the fuzz - especially if you work out often. I remember there was a twist/protective style thread somewhere here that was pretty good...

faithVA

[USER=346925 said:
APrayer4Hair[/USER];18069035]I got the Giovanni Nutrafix. Have you used yours yet?

No not yet. Not sure when I will try it. I purchased the 4 Naturals line which has a reconstructor in it. I plan to use that line for 30 days to see how it works. After that I may try the Giovanni Reconstructor.

faithVA

Thanks you FaithVA!!!! I don't post much so it's easy to forget my story. I'm the one that slept in my henna back in January and my hair is dried out and hasn't stopped falling out since...more in the back than the front. The back is crinkly, drawn up, very dry and fragile. Three weeks ago I used Elucence Extended Moisture Repair Treatment. The breakage subsided a little but now it’s back with a vengeance. I think I have to use protein every other week to keep this breakage under control. I always follow with a moisturizing conditioner. At this point, I just want to braid it up and leave it alone.

Where did you buy your wig? How do you plan on caring for your hair underneath?

BTW, I bought some apricot oil. I’ll try it this weekend. I ordered some sunflower oil too….also some more shea butter and will try mango butter for the first time. I understand it’s more moisturizing than shea butter. Thanks again.

I wish I could help you more. I was at a loss when I had my issue with henna. I never did figure out what to do with it. But it sounds like the combination of protein followed by moisture might be the right plan of attack.

I bought my wig off of Ebay. It is being sent from the UK, so not sure how long that takes. I have not idea how I am going to wear my hair underneath. I am not even sure if I am going to wear the wig :lol: I feel more comfortable walking around with a shrunken fro vs. wear fake hair :ohwell: So if I can't get comfortable with it, it will be in a box on the shelf.

I like apricot oil and sunflower oil. They have both been good to me. :yep:

faithVA

So she is all back under control.

I was having those tiny little ends breaking off. Well, 2 days ago I did a co-wash and DC with AO Blue camomile. Well, normally I DC an hour tops. Took a queue from this thread and left that bad body on for like 5 hours. Co-washed daily the last 2 days wearing a puff. And boom. Breakage gone.

Guess I needed more moisture than I thought :rolleyes:

I will do this intensive DC every 2 weeks...like I really have the time. Dang.

I really want to trying DCing longer. Now that it is warmer I may be able to do so. I can put it on and go out the door. Usually I start my hair so late, I can't let it sit on for that long. Can't wait to try it though and see if I see any difference.

faithVA

I bought this Conair brush because I couldn't remember what BraunSugars picture looked like.

http://www.target.com/p/conair-2pk-cush-brsh-value-pk/-/A-13958886#prodSlot=medium_1_27&term=conair+hair+brush

It was less than $6 for both the large and the small. I know I wasn't going to take them back so decided to try them. Yeah, I really like this brush. I have being wearing a twistout since Wednesday and I just slept with a bonnet on last night and finger puffed it this morning. It was starting to shrink but hadn't completely dried out. So I rinsed in the shower and then saturated it with diluted AO Blue Chamomile conditioner. I pulled section apart with my fingers. Then I used the brush. I detangled my ends and then the brushed just glided through my hair. Nothing ever glides through my hair :nono: I have 3 seamless combs and they have never glided through my hair.

So I was expecting this large mass of hair in the shower drain when I rinsed my brush :nono: Nope. The only hair in the drain is what came out with my finger. And it smoothed the conditioner into my hair. I detangled through my entire head in the amount of time it usually takes me to do 1 or 2 sections.

The main thing I noticed is that it doesn't tug on my hair which the seamless combs do. You can always feel my hair fighting with the bone comb. It has no give and my curls just snap.

bluediamond0829

greenandchic DarkJoy HanaKuroi Thank you Ladies for your responses and suggestions. Yes I have fine hair and i know it used to not be like this when I was in high school and college I could wear braids for at least 2 months. Now my texture has changed.

greenandchic the type of twist I had were Kinky twist with extensions so I didn't have any problems with the fuzz its just at the base they started sliding down within a week to the two week mark. I do have shorter hair in some places but even in the areas where my longer hair is.

tatiana

I have been reading this thread since it started but I am just finally admitting I have issues.

Hair profile? Natural, 3c/4a with some 3b mixed in at the nape, fine, thin, and low density

Reggie and products? Wash once a week, products change often

How do you style your hair? Varies. Actually it is one of my problems.

What problems do you have with your hair?

My problem is my hair should be longer than what it is. My hair is dry. My hair loves glycerin even in the winter but I am tired of wearing my hair in a Wash N Go. I admit, I have gotten lazy once I figured out how to have 6 to 8 day Wash n Go. Yes, I have tangles but since I never had relax relaxed hair, it was some form of texlax, I always had tangles. Due to the low density, I can not do twists or braids.

My hair does like roller sets but they do not last long. Last like 2 to 3 days provided it is not raining outside. Also, my hair is dry because I do not use any glycerin products in that time. I should wash my hair twice a week but I need a style besides a wet bun, I do not like wearing all of my hair pulled back.

Tonight, I am going to wash it, band it overnight, and then in the morning, it will be damp but I will either blow dry it and french braid it or set it on rollers and get under the dryer. Then maybe on Wednesday I will let it revert via gylcerine product.

Sorry if this is more of a rant but I am open to suggestions.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
@tatiana. Welcome and sorry for your troubles! Here's my take FWIW:

My hair seems to love glycerin too. The thing about glyc is that the hair seems moist for the moment. Long term? It dries it right the heck out! So as soon as the glc is gone from the strands, it's dry city. Particularly if glyc is high in the ingredients list. I'm finding that just a dab will do when its humid.

What are your other products? It sounds like you dont have a set staple--a problem in itself probably more so than your regular styling. Changing all the time means not knowing what your hair is responding negatively to. What are you using right now, though?

tatiana

Pre=poo: Coconut Oil
If not doing a wash n go
Shampoo : Cream of Nature (Old formula)
Conditioner: Varies
Leave in: varies

If doing a wash n Go

Shampoo: Curls for Target
Conditioner: Curls for Target
Leave in : Curls for Target Burlee

or

Condictioner with: Tresemme's Natural or As I am Cleansin Cowash
Leave in: Suave Shea Butter and Mix Chicks Leave in

Moisterizer: Curls for Target, Oyin Handmade Frank's Juice, and sometimes Hawaiin Silky 14 in 1

I live in an humid area.

Cruzankink

I really want to trying DCing longer. Now that it is warmer I may be able to do so. I can put it on and go out the door. Usually I start my hair so late, I can't let it sit on for that long. Can't wait to try it though and see if I see any difference.

@faithVA Since I live in warm weather climate, I leave the DC in my hair and go out all the time. This weekend I went to our local St. Patrick's Day Parade w/ DC in a combed out fro. I let the sun melt the DC into my strands. I will not be held captive by my hair reggie.

Last edited:

MsDee14

At this point, only a puff looks good on me when I wear my hair out. And not a stretched puff either..those look crazy on me. It has to be mildly shrunken.

I'm trying to figure out some "out" styles to wear since my hair is in twists all week.

How are y'all ladies styling your hair?

lana

I am officially joining this thread, because the information you guys offer is helpful and tailored for the individual.

Hair profile? Transitioning from Texlaxed, 4a throughout with 4b in the back, thick strands, lots of em'

Reggie and products? Deep condition overnight with Mane & Tail conditioner, shampoo with Keracare Moisturizing Shampoo, Condition with Keracare Humecto or Nexxus Humectress (rotation) w/heat. Nexxus has protein in it so I try to use it only twice a month, I use Keracare in between.

How do you style your hair? I wear a twist out or a bun, sometimes I blow dry and twist, sometimes I wet twist.

What problems do you have with your hair? 1)My ends are breaking off probably due to twisting. My hair LOOKs dry but feels moisturized.
2)The back of my hair was shorter than the rest, but I'm keeping the length trimmed and letting the back catch up, so that I can trim it even.
3) I am trying to grow out my sides as well. They stay at shoulder length and the rest of my hair is BSL or a bit longer.
4)I can't get my twist out to last more than 1 day. I literally have to retwist each night.

I will take help or advice on any of this!

Last edited:

faithVA

@faithVA Since I live in warm weather climate, I leave the DC in my hair and go out all the time. This weekend I went to our local St. Patrick's Day Parade w/ DC in a combed out fro. I let the sun melt the DC into my strands. I will not be held captive by my hair reggie.

We aren't all so lucky. It was 70 degrees on Saturday and today its 36 degrees. I'm not held captive by my reggie. I'm held captive by this crazy weather :lol:

I won't do it that often anyway so it's cool. My hair gets hard and crunchy if I leave a DC on for more than 5 hours and I end up having to detangle again. But when it's long enough to twist and bun it will be on :yep:

faithVA

[USER=3864 said:
lana[/USER];18082427]I am officially joining this thread, because the information you guys offer is helpful and tailored for the individual.

Hair profile? Transitioning from Texlaxed, 4a throughout with 4b in the back, thick strands, lots of em'

Reggie and products? Deep condition overnight with Mane & Tail conditioner, shampoo with Keracare Moisturizing Shampoo, Condition with Keracare Humecto or Nexxus Humectress (rotation) w/heat. Nexxus has protein in it so I try to use it only twice a month, I use Keracare in between.

How do you style your hair? I wear a twist out or a bun, sometimes I blow dry and twist, sometimes I wet twist.

What problems do you have with your hair? 1)My ends are breaking off probably due to twisting. My hair LOOKs dry but feels moisturized.
2)The back of my hair was shorter than the rest, but I'm keeping the length trimmed and letting the back catch up, so that I can trim it even.
3) I am trying to grow out my sides as well. They stay at shoulder length and the rest of my hair is BSL or a bit longer.
4)I can't get my twist out to last more than 1 day. I literally have to retwist each night.

I will take help or advice on any of this!

What are you using to twist with?

HanaKuroi

tatiana said:
I have been reading this thread since it started but I am just finally admitting I have issues.

Hair profile? Natural, 3c/4a with some 3b mixed in at the nape, fine, thin, and low density

Reggie and products? Wash once a week, products change often

How do you style your hair? Varies. Actually it is one of my problems.

What problems do you have with your hair?

My problem is my hair should be longer than what it is. My hair is dry. My hair loves glycerin even in the winter but I am tired of wearing my hair in a Wash N Go. I admit, I have gotten lazy once I figured out how to have 6 to 8 day Wash n Go. Yes, I have tangles but since I never had relax relaxed hair, it was some form of texlax, I always had tangles. Due to the low density, I can not do twists or braids.

My hair does like roller sets but they do not last long. Last like 2 to 3 days provided it is not raining outside. Also, my hair is dry because I do not use any glycerin products in that time. I should wash my hair twice a week but I need a style besides a wet bun, I do not like wearing all of my hair pulled back.

Tonight, I am going to wash it, band it overnight, and then in the morning, it will be damp but I will either blow dry it and french braid it or set it on rollers and get under the dryer. Then maybe on Wednesday I will let it revert via gylcerine product.

Sorry if this is more of a rant but I am open to suggestions.

Can you list your products?

I think wash and go's are okay occasionally.

You say you change products often. How often and is there a reason?

homegirljiggy

thank goodness for protective styles! I returned the 2 boxes of no lye relaxer last week, and exchanged for some aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and shea butter. if I was not all twisted up in S twists, I would have given up on my hair. thanks ladies for your support in this thread.

HanaKuroi

homegirljiggy said:
thank goodness for protective styles! I returned the 2 boxes of no lye relaxer last week, and exchanged for some aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and shea butter. if I was not all twisted up in S twists, I would have given up on my hair. thanks ladies for your support in this thread.

I am so glad you returned them. I would hate for you to relax and have second thoughts.

How long will your twists be in?

faithVA

It may be a little premature but I think by summer I may be graduating from this thread :yay: I still have some work to do with product selection but I am getting so close.

Cruzankink

It may be a little premature but I think by summer I may be graduating from this thread :yay: I still have some work to do with product selection but I am getting so close.

Great!!! I don't know if I'll ever graduate from the thread. I like chronicling my journey here... Even if I'm not struggling.

HanaKuroi

faithVA said:

Yay!!! Yayayayay! Can u see the finish line???

Yes, you can see it! All you need is a boost.

This will be Miss Faith.

image-1325709935.png

image-2867778608.png

homegirljiggy

I am so glad you returned them. I would hate for you to relax and have second thoughts.

How long will your twists be in?

thanks!, i have had my twist in for a month. I plan to take them out next week or maybe sooner. But I was def in a natural hair slump. From now on when I get in a hair frenzy I will do braids or wigs.

BklynHeart

Sigh, welp I may get some extension locs and keep them in my hair permanently. i had surgery last year in February, and since then my hair has stopped growing. I didn't realize it and trimmed throughout the year. I realized it last month when my hair was SHORTER than it was last year at this time. I always get a growth spurt between November and April but not this time. I bought some of that Green Magic to see if it would help jumpstart it but its not budging. :nono: