Dr. Oz: Hair Secrets from India

song_of_serenity

hair4romheaven I have the Dabur brand.

Blkrose

It is :look: They don't recommend use by pregnant women or those trying to get pregnant. It can induce labor, cause an intentional or unintentional miscarriage and is also used as birth control, at least according to what I've read about ayurveda.

Since it was noted as a good use for cradle cap I wondered if it would be safe to use on infants but after reading this I would have to conclude that it wouldnt be :ohwell:

Lucky's Mom

@ElizaBlue Yes it does. By far! At least with Sulphur 8 you know that's the smell of grease, albeit a strong smell. Sulphur 8 and Dax could both be recognized as hair grease. Neem Oil stinks so bad that I can't even think what to tell you it smells like.

I bought it when a lady at Whole Foods told me it's good for nails. I tried to use it, but nah suh! :nono: And we're talking about using it on finger nails which would be further than my scalp from my nose but I couldn't stand it. :barf: I washed my hands over and over to get that stench off. I dare say MTG might even smell better.

I ended up throwing the bottle away--and I'm the last person who accepts waste BTW, so this was really huge. But after holding onto it for a few years wondering what to do, I couldn't bring myself to open the bottle again and release that demonic smell; (yes, I was that scared of it :lol: ) so I just said goodbye to it.

I did the EXACT same thing. I could not handle the smell. My Husband was REPULSED by the smell ( as was I) - and I finally tossed it. Not worth it for me....

LovinLocks

I couldn't bring myself to open the bottle again and release that demonic smell; (yes, I was that scared of it :lol: ) so I just said goodbye to it.

:lachen:, Nonie, you crackin' me up . . . . :evillaugh:
I've got ole lady thinning going on here (well, I hope that's all it is). I need to do something.

nychaelasymone

I LOVE vatika oil and I just checked the ingredients...the first is coconut (of course) and the second is neem! :) then Brahmi then Amla. I wonder if adding pure neem, just a few drops, will be masked...

I added additional neem to my vatika oil and it masked the odor slightly....I will tell you that I funked up a room cause I slept in the oil overnight, woke up the next day and didn't have time to wash my hair. I put on a head scarf and a hat and let me tell you, I smelled up the place.....I didn't care but that's me......just a word of caution.

QueenAmaka

Live, Love, Laugh :)
@sthrnlady; what does it do for already there hair (the new growth is all new, shiny, health, blah, blah); the hair that is older is what needs help.

I use it on the length of my hair after applying a tad bit of water based moisturizer to help seal in moisture. It works great to maintain moisture. Hope this helps.

Shadiyah

Did we really need Dr Oz tell us something that we have already been talking about on here for years?????

My Friend

Did we really need Dr Oz tell us something that we have already been talking about on here for years?????

Shadiyah

I learned about neem oil by watching his show :look: It may have been talked about on this board but unless the old threads are bumped by people who were on the board at that time, they remain in the thread graveyard :yep:

Shadiyah

Shadiyah

I am unfamiliar with that company.

My Friend
I didn't know about the site either but found out on here that it was having a sale on the 22nd between 1.30pm and 3pm I think those are the times and it is just a website that sell other people products like going to the store. They will release the code tomorrow on face book and twitter. So just go on there and look around to see what they are selling.

Shadiyah

Shadiyah

I learned about neem oil by watching his show :look: It may have been talked about on this board but unless the old threads are bumped by people who were on the board at that time, they remain in the thread graveyard :yep:

My Friend fyi you can always do a search on this site for anything you may want to learn about.

and of course I didn't read the whole thread before I made my statement.

ladysaraii

I need to use my neem more regularly. I was scared off b/c last time I dont think it washed off all the way and I could still smell it. ick ick ick

Lucia

I know it's good for hair but it REEKS you couldn't pay me to use it and I was a regular MTG user
I'll just use other oil to get the same benefits.

Last edited:

LovinLocks

I wouldn't have known to start searching for neem oil :nono:

I KWYM, it's kinda like when we were told to "look up a word" when we misspelled it in school; but how can ya look it up if you don't know that you don't know how to spell it? It's all good. I'm glad OP started the thread 'cause though I have heard of neem, I didn't pay it much attention then though. :lol:

phyl73

Thanks for the morning laughs! I'll be going out to purchase some from my local Indian grocer. For so odd reason, I'm looking forward to the initial shock/reaction from the smell.

phyl73

Also, I'm angry with my husband so I figure this will surely get under his skin and nose.

Ms. Tiki

I'm going to make a few oils this week including neem oil. I just have to figure out which oils I want to use as the base

choctaw

Neem oil is made from the seeds and/or the leaves. The oil derived from seeds probably has a stronger smell. I have used Neem powder for facials, henna pastes and the smell did not linger. I have not smelled the results of an oil I made with neem powder but it did not knock me out when I mixed it.

... why do I hear "The Charge of the Light Brigade" ....

ETA: Just did a pre-poo with olive oil infused with neem powder. It smells like sweet tea, is stimulating to scalp but does not warm like mustard oil. I used it on edges and ends after the wash. Now to trod amongst the unsuspecting public ... :lachen:

Last edited:

ryanshope

Neem is stank, but when I had eczema NOTHING and I mean NOTHING worked on the itch like neem. I used neem, coconut oil and shea butter to get rid of my eczema(allergic reaction to a detox).

ElizaBlue

Whelp...I did it I got the Neem and used it. I had my Indian friend buy some for me from his grocer. It is not that bad...really it's not. I mean I'm not use to my head smelling like peanuts, curry and cumin...heavy on the peanuts with some Wild Growth Oil thrown in. That's what it smelled like to me.

I mixed a WGO bottle of Castro Oil, Mahabhringaraj Oil and Neem equal parts. Ran hot water over it because the Neem was congealed. Shook it up and put it on my scalp. What I noticed the next morning is that is really travels the hair shaft quite well. My ends were glossy and I only put it on my scalp.

This could be a result of my switching from no-lye to lye also. I say that because prior to switching it seemed like my hair just drank products and was always still thirsty...lol.

I smelled both oils before mixing and the wasn't that bad before I added the other oils, but I'm sure the other two toned it down a bit. I'm going to use it on my daughter's scalp as she has a rather large spot of chronic breakage all the way to the scalp. It will grow back then break off all over again.

I also bought both of us a massager the Tink Tink Spider...feels nice...I will keep ya'll posted on the results.