Crisco shortening for hair growth??

mrsmeredith

Its true, growing up my mom used it on my hair especially to press it. My hair was always long, healthy looking and never dry. One thing to remember is this, what works for one, may not work for another. For example, some people hate vaseline in the hair but growing up all my family used it in the childrens hair and we were all healthy headed. I may not use it on my scalp now because its too thick but ladies as long you wash your hair frequently your pores will not be clogged. So basically, yea to crisco oil. Older ladies still use it and their hair is still satiny smooth without the Co washes, pre poos, eo oils, mtg's, msm's, and what not.

sheba125

i guess using crisco isn't any worse than horse grooming products.......LOL I guess whatever works for you is what it's all about. The Dominican thing with chicken grease I have heard before too. I guess it's not the grease itself but the protein left in the grease after cooking chicken in it....just a thought......:lol:

Kimberly said:
I tried doing a search but I know a while ago, there was a thread about someone bumping into an old friend of their's who never had long hair before but had past BSL or MBL or WL hair now (then) and when she asked her what she used, she said "Crisco" (I'm sure...or just "shortening")....

Anyway, maybe someone else can find it and post a link.
I wouldn't be surprised if people lie and say anything when they get asked how they grew their hair. I've read on forums where posters wearing lacefront wigs will admit they lied to people who asked them if it was their real hair or a weave, so why should this be any different?

I mean, grease on the ends may do something :eek: but on the scalp, will just clog the pores, I would think.

keluric

FYI, anyone using ghee on a regular basis, make sure you clarify regularly. I had crazy build-up after using it for a while.

kbragg

Regular or butter flavor?:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Honestly, sometimes I think people just make this stuff up to mess with people and see if they'll actually do it!:mad:

carmella25

marie170 said:
I think there was a thread about chicken grease and growing hair...actually I think my little sis JenniferMD posted it...it is a Dominican secret...

Chicken grease! Now thats gross!

tallnomad

Found this on angelasjournal.com:

Conditioned the ends of my hair by slathering on Crisco before going to bed. Shampooed it out this morning. Worked Great!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
FlawedBeauty said:
well from shoulder to brastrap is about six inches, no? so if she retained all the growth in a year i would say doesn't sound like nething magical happened since the hair is slated to grow about 6" a yr.
I was thinking the same thing. Shoulder length to brastrap lenth isn't magical phenomenal growth...it's just normal.

Ebonygurl00

anatomicallycorrect said:
I wouldn't be surprised if people lie and say anything when they get asked how they grew their hair. I've read on forums where posters wearing lacefront wigs will admit they lied to people who asked them if it was their real hair or a weave, so why should this be any different?

I mean, grease on the ends may do something :eek: but on the scalp, will just clog the pores, I would think.

Unfortunately, I know what forum you're talking about. I feel sorry for some of those women.:(

nomoweavesfome

Personally, I don't use it. If I was poor and had nothing else, maybe. But actually I can't knock it. Everybody is looking for whatever regimen works for them, and if it happens to be Crisco, so be it. Hey, If I can use Horsie Oil and it works for me, surely Crisco can work for somebody else.

dynamic1

What most people call growth is actually retention. The only people that tend to make a distinction are members of hair boairds. I don't see the big deal. People cook with Olive oil, palm oil, etc. and use them for hair care.

Also, I recall watching a special on skin care products (anti-wrinkle, aging, etc.). The expert on the show agreed that most were gimmicks. He suggested using butter or crisco for moisture retention. I probably wouldn't try it but I see his point.

yokourt

Ebonygurl00 said:
WTF?! This is a joke, right?! Your hair will grow if you're healthy. I think Crisco could actually HINDER your growth, because it could clog your scalp.

I was thinking the same thing. Seems like you would have to melt it first to use it and then it would harden and clog your pores. Oh, and what if your scalp started to warm up. It would start running down on to your face and clothes, UHG!!

glamazon386

nomoweavesfome said:
Hey, If I can use Horsie Oil and it works for me, surely Crisco can work for somebody else.

:lachen: @ Horsie Oil... But I agree. If people can put horse grooming products and cooch cream on their scalps for hair growth what's so bad about Crisco if it really works?

Iluvsmuhgrass

bmoreflyygirl said:
:lachen: @ Horsie Oil... But I agree. If people can put horse grooming products and cooch cream on their scalps for hair growth what's so bad about Crisco if it really works?

:lol: :lol: can you hear me now??? Shoooooot back in the day the older heads didn't have Nexxus or CON.... they had Blue magic (blue or green.... take yer pic) and that rose grease in the red can. It worked because we had beautiful hair. They also used beef tallow (aka fried cow fat) for their skin because they couldn't afford lotion. My mom still has the most beautiful skin to be 67 years young.

Neroli

Well, I've never tried it but crisco ain't nothing but grease - vegetable oils. I mean, we put eggs, olive oil, mayonaisse, coconut milk, honey, yogurt, apple cider vineger, etc. to our hair and have found these to be very beneficial. So why not a bit of cisco? I think if applied to the ends, crisco would assist with retaining length. Nothing magical or crazy about that-- its an oil and we all know that oiling ends is one very effective way to keep em from breaking off . . .

Last edited:

fluffylocks

^^^yeah, its just soybean oil in a sold form......
I actually like that idea, it probally would be a really good sealent-way better than grease or anything.

NYAmicas

Seeker
I agree with what others have already stated, its an oil so whats the big deal? I may try using it since its so cheap myself.

lisana

I have crisco in my hair cabinet. I used it for my skin before and it's good stuff. It is NOT CHICKEN GREASE, yes you can FRY the chicken in it but it's
not made from chickens :lachen: Now, I don't like the idea of using it or any grease on the scalp, I think its too thick but this winter, I am going to mix it with aloe vera gel and use it one my skin in place of vaseline and see what happens. I also sometimes use it for a sealant and it does a great job. Really, that's the only reason I would use it for my hair.

mscocoface

Here is someone who has been using Crisco for a while.

Her results have been very positive. If others creams, liquids and ointments are giving some positive results that are designed for other uses then reviewing the contents of this product which has natural ingredients it isn't a stretch.

http://members.fotki.com/yassylane/about/

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Here is someone who has been using Crisco for a while.

Her results have been very positive. If others creams, liquids and ointments are giving some positive results that are designed for other uses then reviewing the contents of this product which has natural ingredients it isn't a stretch.

http://members.fotki.com/yassylane/about/

Oh thank you so much for posting this. :) And like someone just stated, it's just oil so I don't see the big deal either. :ohwell:

My fiance bought the Crisco Shortening in the blue jar I did try this last night and let me say that my hair has never been so moisturized. :) I've given up all my hair oils/moisturizers to my co-worker. Yes it is the bomb!! This will be a staple of mine forever. :up:

PatTodd

I actually do use Crisco on my hair. It works better for me than any of the eleventy-million other hair oils/pomades that I have tried. Shea, avocado, hempseed, shealoe -- nothing works better for me than my beloved Crisco :rosebud:.

mariofmagdal

Well, I tried this back in Jr. High School, mainly because I remember Alfalfa put it in his hair to slick it down on the little rascals,......LOL

Filmatic

Now this is my type of thread! I use Crisco mixed with Coconut oil as a sealant. Nothing keep the moisture in my hair. Sometimes I use on the ends sometimes I use it an inch or two down to the ends. My hair is always soft. There is no greasiness unless I go over board.