TWA Support Thread

robot.

Your hair sounds like mine :look: For the past couple of months my hair has been looking like a frizz ball. Like I said in my previous post, I have been using the Anthony Dickey method and that has helped a lot to cut down frizz. For reference, I'm 3c/4a (emphasis on the 4a on the back and sides).

This weekend I tried a new combo for my leave in: Kinky Curly Knot Today and Oyin Honey Dew. Omg this mixture was everything! I even got second day hair which is unheard of. For gel, I used Eco Styler in the picture above. Yesterday I tried Kinky Curly Curling Custard and it worked really well (I usually despise it). This leave in combo + Curl Solutions Curl Keeper has done wonders to keep my hair moisturized and frizz free.

I'm going to look into that thread. I've seen it but haven't stopped to read it yet.

It sounds like you're trying out a lot of different things...can you be clearer on what you layer with what? Is the Curl Keeper another gel? I just picked up some Eco argan oil today...I went wayyyyy back to my oldddd blog and saw I used to love that stuff.

Divine.

I'm going to look into that thread. I've seen it but haven't stopped to read it yet. It sounds like you're trying out a lot of different things...can you be clearer on what you layer with what? Is the Curl Keeper another gel? I just picked up some Eco argan oil today...I went wayyyyy back to my oldddd blog and saw I used to love that stuff.

I combined KCKT with Honey Dew because I only had the sample size from Oyin. I'll probably axe the KCKT when I get my full size Honey Dew. But anyways!

I put on KCKT as leave in first then apply a nickel size of Honey Dew. Then I apply my gel. The Curl Keeper is more like a finishing product. It's the last thing I put through my hair. If I have to go back and finger coil areas, this stuff helps makes the coils frizz free and defined. I only purchased this because I saw it in action at a beauty show. I wouldn't say you have to buy it.

Mz.MoMo5235

My hair is driving me up the wall.I promise I'm so close to say *** it, shave it again anf start rocking lf with some Brazilian hair!

beauti

I've been rocking this puff bun/pony style the past few days. I just smooth the back and sides in the morning. Think will wash and dc tomorrow evening

Attachments

• PicsArt_1405826811864.jpg
    PicsArt_1405826811864.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 52

Lynn84

How have we been doing ladies?

I have to be honest I'm kinda shocked I've made it this far without succumbing! I know its due to the awesome tips here and the fact that I've been hiding my hair about 70% of the time. I'm in braids now but I will take them down soon for a couple weeks before going for a sew in.

Retention and keeping my hands out of my hair is a huge problem for me but I'm working through it. :)

Divine.

MsGlass I am to report my hair is been cooperating lately. I guess this means I'll grow it out now :lol:

Is it normal to use multiple products if you have a TWA? I have a regimen that has been working wonders (Don't take my advice too seriously because I'm a PJ :look:), but it's 5 products! If I leave out one, my hair acts crazy. I do the LCO method then apply my gel, then a finishing product to control the frizz. Lately I have been using a setting foam to keep my sides smoothed down. I feel like I'm doing the most, but my hair looks great.

Lynn84

Is it normal to use multiple products if you have a TWA? I have a regimen that has been working wonders (Don't take my advice too seriously because I'm a PJ :look:), but it's 5 products! If I leave out one, my hair acts crazy. I do the LCO method then apply my gel, then a finishing product to control the frizz. Lately I have been using a setting foam to keep my sides smoothed down. I feel like I'm doing the most, but my hair looks great.
Totally normal! Somedays I use a crap load of products and my twa looks and feels fab and some days I just LOC and that's all it takes to make it behave. :perplexed I feel like my hair is so darn strange sometimes.
Get that twa to your liking by any means necessary! :lol:

Divine.

Totally normal! Somedays I use a crap load of products and my twa looks and feels fab and some days I just LOC and that's all it takes to make it behave. :perplexed I feel like my hair is so darn strange sometimes.
Get that twa to your liking by any means necessary! :lol:

:lol: Glad I'm not alone. I thought maybe I needed an intervention :lol:

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Ladies, I swear it takes so much confidence to rock not only natural, but a TWA. That is definitely what I would tell anyone that has a desire to be natural. People will try you, give you dirty looks, assume your sexuality has shifted and use your hair against you in pointless arguments. Yes, they will but your self-confidence is what's going to make or break you.

meka72

Hey ladies! In December, I BC'ed to the scalp and have been growing my hair out, hiding it with a custom wig. I have about 2-3 inches of hair and have been getting knots at the ends of my hair in certain areas. My daughter said I needed to trim my hair but I think that I'm not removing shed hairs properly. Any advice?

almond eyes

Hey ladies! In December, I BC'ed to the scalp and have been growing my hair out, hiding it with a custom wig. I have about 2-3 inches of hair and have been getting knots at the ends of my hair in certain areas. My daughter said I needed to trim my hair but I think that I'm not removing shed hairs properly. Any advice?

I also BC'ed almost to the scalp and my hair is growing up. If you have knots you may have to exam your wig routine and trim those knots.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Rocky91

NYE side boob.

i think you should hold off on trimming just yet. personally, i found it difficult to trim at that length. i couldn't even form a proper twist to clip off the end. however, if you did your BC with clippers, those ends will need to go eventually-they will be dry.

in the meantime, keep them as moist as possible. be sure to DC as least 1x weekly. i should be doing this myself. :look:

curlyTisME

My hair is shrinking even more because of all the humidity in North Carolina right now! It's supper soft and lush though so I'll take it!

KaramelKutie803

Have any of you ladies tried the products for natural by the Creme of Nature Argan Oil line? I got the Twirling Custard Curl Styling Gel yesterday but I'm currently in rope twists or big Senegalese twists right now, will be taking out this weekend and just wanted to see if anyone has used any of it. If not I'll definitely leave my review of it this weekend. Thinking about going back and getting the curl pudding and the butterlicious hair moisturizer as well.

curlyTisME

Have any of you ladies tried the products for natural by the Creme of Nature Argan Oil line? I got the Twirling Custard Curl Styling Gel yesterday but I'm currently in rope twists or big Senegalese twists right now, will be taking out this weekend and just wanted to see if anyone has used any of it. If not I'll definitely leave my review of it this weekend. Thinking about going back and getting the curl pudding and the butterlicious hair moisturizer as well.

I've only used the intensive deep conditioner. It was pretty mediocre. I felt like it made my hair stronger but moisturize it did not. I have a friend that swears by the shampoo and foam wrap.

meka72

almomd eyes and Rocky91, thanks for your advice. I've been natural a few times before and have never had a problem with knots whenever I grew my hair out. I DC once a week and moisturize everyday or every other day. My mother detangled my hair using the 3 comb method. The only thing that I haven't tried is to trim my hair. I'm so confused.

KaramelKutie803

I've only used the intensive deep conditioner. It was pretty mediocre. I felt like it made my hair stronger but moisturize it did not. I have a friend that swears by the shampoo and foam wrap.

Yeah I have that same conditioner and experienced the same. I tend to mix it with oils now when using it to try and finish out the bottle. I do however like the edge control by the line. A little goes a long way though cause if too heavy handed it leaves a white residue, for me anyway.

almond eyes

@almomd eyes and @Rocky91, thanks for your advice. I've been natural a few times before and have never had a problem with knots whenever I grew my hair out. I DC once a week and moisturize everyday or every other day. My mother detangled my hair using the 3 comb method. The only thing that I haven't tried is to trim my hair. I'm so confused.[/QU

I find that TWA's at the very short stage does well with being washed or rinsed with water at least once a day or every other day. When you say moisturize, I assume you mean products. I think products isn't enough, you may need the water plus the products. And you should be sleeping with a satin or silk scarf. I wash my TWA everyday with a mild shampoo and conditioner. If I am going some place where I want my curls to come out I will use some leave in conditioner and gel but usually I don't use any product for now.

I did the wig thing as a protective style five years ago and it wasn't good for my natural hair at the time. Maybe it was the nylon cap, maybe it was my hair not breathing. But my hair remained dry and I also had ssks.

Best,
Almond Eyes

momi

Your hair sounds like mine :look: For the past couple of months my hair has been looking like a frizz ball. Like I said in my previous post, I have been using the Anthony Dickey method and that has helped a lot to cut down frizz. For reference, I'm 3c/4a (emphasis on the 4a on the back and sides).

This weekend I tried a new combo for my leave in: Kinky Curly Knot Today and Oyin Honey Dew. Omg this mixture was everything! I even got second day hair which is unheard of. For gel, I used Eco Styler in the picture above. Yesterday I tried Kinky Curly Curling Custard and it worked really well (I usually despise it). This leave in combo + Curl Solutions Curl Keeper has done wonders to keep my hair moisturized and frizz free.

Your curls are "divine" :spinning:

We have similar textures and I LOVE this product. It really helped me to retain length while growing out this tapered cut.

beauti

yesterday's wash and go

Attachments

• P070110_02.21.jpg
    P070110_02.21.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 48
  • P070110_02.27.jpg
    P070110_02.27.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 57

Divine.

Your curls are "divine" :spinning: We have similar textures and I LOVE this product. It really helped me to retain length while growing out this tapered cut.

Thank you! I have seen this around. How do you use it on your hair?

Divine.

I also see clumping and I am at month two. However, because I have fine hair it still looks sparse in some areas which I don't like. Did you have sparse areas and when did that fill in? Best, Almond Eyes

No I didn't. My hair is pretty thick especially on the back of my head. I think once you get more length it will fill in. I know exactly what you're talking about though.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I decided to try some new styles out (this isn't finished) and shrinkage! lol I had no idea how long my hair was. I was walking around doing huge wash n gos not realizing I could do other styles. Well this was a pleasant surprise. This is me tonight