Trimming ends

G

Does anyone trim their own ends? If so, would you mind sharing some pointers? I got my hair retouched tonight and I feel like my stylist cut all the length I achieved since my last retouch. Its very frustrating and I'm thinking of trying to trim my own hair the next time. I didn't hardly have any split ends. Do you think it could be because of my blunt cut that she has to even it up more when she trimmed it?

Thanks,
wandak2

henrilou

I totally understand what you are saying about trimming. The stylist I had before this one really pushed trimming on me and I never let her. My hair is b/s length and I am so afraid that I will let a stylist trim it and I will go home crying, so I just don't get it trimmed there. But. It does need to be trimmed. Not for split ends so much but for looks. What I do is let my b/f do it. I get it done, so it's fresh. Then I make him concentrate (NO TV on or distractions.) I SHOW him how much and we really talk about this for as long as it takes until I am sure he knows what I mean. I tell him it's impossible to get it all perfectly even but to try to 'clean' the back up. I think that in order to trim your hair you need some help. But I don't like the shop to do it because they do it too quickly/carelessly and I was intimidated to speak up. My boyfriend is nervous and goes slowly and I am not afraid to direct him.

hairfanatic

I do. I am going to post a picture and trust me, you will be able to tell I trim my own ends /images/graemlins/grin.gif. I just rather I be the one that get mad at myself oppose to getting mad because someone else trimmed too much, etc.

What I do is make a part in the middle.
Make a part going down the sides of both ears. So you have two pony tails on each sid and one in the back. I trim the pony tails. After that is done, I comb some parts straight up in the air to get those scraggly ends...instant kitchen care haircut.

G

Thanks hairfanatic and henrylu. I did notice my stylist was running her mouth while she was trimming my hair. I'm going to measure one of my longest strands when one comes out and if its not longer than 12 inches then I will no for sure she cut all my growth off.

Thanks again for your advice!
wandak2 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
If you're concerned about trimming, going to a barbershop stylist is a good alternative to scissor-happy salon stylists.

LondonDiva

I was actually going to mention a barbershop also. My cousin who had a short relaxed hair do used to get the back styled and shaped by a barber. I know Jade21 gets her cuts/trims done by a barber also.

I don't think they get too scissor happy like female stylists and really have nothing to be jealous of your lucious locks.