Bible Study Week 1: Conquering Procrastination

kweenameena

I know wikipedia isn't the best source to cite things from, but I found this interesting:

Types of procrastinators:

The relaxed type

The relaxed type of procrastinators view their responsibilities negatively and avoid them by directing energy into other tasks. It is common, for example, for relaxed type procrastinating children to abandon schoolwork but not their social lives. Students often see projects as a whole rather than breaking them into smaller parts. This type of procrastination is a form of denial or cover-up; therefore, typically no help is being sought. Furthermore, they are also unable to defer gratification. The procrastinator avoids situations that would cause displeasure, indulging instead in more enjoyable activities. In Freudian terms, such procrastinators refuse to renounce the pleasure principle, instead sacrificing the reality principle. They may not appear to be worried about work and deadlines, but this is simply an evasion.[7]

The tense-afraid type

The tense-afraid type of procrastinator usually feels overwhelmed with pressure, unrealistic about time, uncertain about goals and many other negative feelings. Feeling that they lack the ability or focus to successfully complete their work, they tell themselves that they need to unwind and relax, that it's better to take it easy for the afternoon, for example, and start afresh in the morning. They usually have grandiose plans that aren't realistic. Their 'relaxing' is often temporary and ineffective, and leads to even more stress as time runs out, deadlines approach and the person feels increasingly guilty and apprehensive. This behavior becomes a cycle of failure and delay, as plans and goals are put off, penciled into the following day or week in the diary again and again. It can also have a debilitating effect on their personal lives and relationships. Since they are uncertain about their goals, they often feel awkward with people who appear confident and goal-oriented, which can lead to depression. Tense-afraid procrastinators often withdraw from social life, avoiding contact even with close friends.

kweenameena

Found this on how to deal with procrastination:
  • Don't be discouraged by setbacks. Realize that you are human and try again.
  • Estimate the amount of time you think it will take you to complete a task, then increase that amount by 100%.
  • Visualize how much easier it is to do a job in smaller chunks. If you do it bit by bit, it will be done painlessly before you know it.
  • Announce your goals to family and friends. This will put some pressure on you to actually do what you claim. Post your goals on the fridge, around your workspace...
  • Give yourself rewards for jobs completed

*KP*

I really needed this today. I procrastinate tooooo much these days - I put off going to bed, I put off waking up, I put off having breakfast, making dinner, checking emails - it's a nightmare because I know I wasn't always like this :perplexed

I have an assignment at work I have been putting off. I'm not really sure why but my motivation has been up and down (more down so far this week)- it has been a real struggle to keep it up to be honest. Last week I was praying, reading my bible and reading my self help books several times a day but this week I guess I am slacking a bit.

Originally Posted by cocoberry10
so even if you are not sure how you will accomplish something, trust God and let him work out the details

I really like this Cocoberry, I need to trust God more and not hold on so tight.
Thank you all for you inspiring words, I'm going to pray some more now - I really want to complete this assignment tomorrow!!

Last edited:

kayte

wow.....I mean really wow:yep:
Thank you for breaking it down

A speaker's group I am thinking about joining has its first assignment to prepare a speech on this very subject ..using index cards
and this thread will be one means to test my thoughts and arrive a workable spiritual solutions ..hopefully a speech

The tense-afraid type
The tense-afraid type of procrastinator usually feels overwhelmed with pressure, unrealistic about time, uncertain about goals and many other negative feelings. Feeling that they lack the ability or focus to successfully complete their work, they tell themselves that they need to unwind and relax, that it's better to take it easy for the afternoon, for example, and start afresh in the morning.

Role call! This is me :grin:..

I didn't include the second half of the paragraph as it does not apply
While my plans are in the huge vision category they are not grandiose...realistic..and I'm pretty certain about my goals and leaving the out come to God while trying to be pro-active

and I am social...not as much as I'd like ...my business is at a crucial point and that's taking a lot of my focus..but been dating .. I have a date this weekend....and contemplating a happy hour get together this week with girls.... if ..my biz behaves...and I am actually inspired by goal-oriented people..it spurs me on

That list is great
  • checking back to name other majors ways I procrastinate
  • what the biggest projects are that I am procratinating on
  • And specific biblical verses to address these
  • and finally spiritually grounded solution actions :)
So grateful for this thread

I like the rewards idea..Natalie Goldberg(writer ) used to promise herself if she wrote for a block of time ..say one hour..she could have a cooky:) :)
okay..first of all no cookies..but ....hmmm food for thought

Last edited:

Evolving78

I know what I want to go to school for. I've been telling myself...as soon as my husband gets out of the army and gets a job that can support us..I will go to school. Now guess what....it is happening and I have so much fear in my heart that I can't even bring myself to go to the school's website anymore. My problem is that I don't know how to take things one step at a time. So I become overwhelmed before I begin. Also, I have thoughts that tell me "what if you don't do well in college like you didn't do well in highschool". I struggle with my doubts.

My pastor preached that a lot of our procrastination comes from thinking that Good Intention = Obedience to God's commands.
I think that sometimes I feel good that I have the intention to do something. I pat myself on the back for "being on the right path" and "having a plan". But I never actually walk down that path or execute that plan. And I become complacent with just "intending" to do something. But where is my follow-thru? I have none right now.
Or it's easy for me to make excuses of why I can't do that thing right now.....I'll do it when I have time, when I have the money...I'll lose weight once I joined that gym or get that treadmill.
Having good intentions is not enough!

you said it right there for me with taking it a step at a time.
i have trouble with doing everything in my life a step at a time, that everything becomes overwhelming, like a spirit trying to bring me down. i get really crazy when things are out of order and i feel like a failure sometimes. I want to become a makeup artist. I'm scared about getting into this industry. i don't know if i have what it takes, am i too old to start something like this, will i still have time for my family?,or i don't want to overshadow my dh because he is having to put his dreams aside for us. i procastinate with my bible studying as well as praying, always putting it off later. i just want to learn how to do things in steps and stop trying to do it all at once only to get burned out and give up.

Duchesse

I know wikipedia isn't the best source to cite things from, but I found this interesting:

The tense-afraid type

The tense-afraid type of procrastinator usually feels overwhelmed with pressure, unrealistic about time, uncertain about goals and many other negative feelings. Feeling that they lack the ability or focus to successfully complete their work, they tell themselves that they need to unwind and relax, that it's better to take it easy for the afternoon, for example, and start afresh in the morning. They usually have grandiose plans that aren't realistic. Their 'relaxing' is often temporary and ineffective, and leads to even more stress as time runs out, deadlines approach and the person feels increasingly guilty and apprehensive. This behavior becomes a cycle of failure and delay, as plans and goals are put off, penciled into the following day or week in the diary again and again. It can also have a debilitating effect on their personal lives and relationships. Since they are uncertain about their goals, they often feel awkward with people who appear confident and goal-oriented, which can lead to depression. Tense-afraid procrastinators often withdraw from social life, avoiding contact even with close friends.

Wow, this is me to a T.

thank you ladies for this thread. I've prayed in the past for help in my procrastnation..I've been putting off writing my grad.school statement of purpose for weeks now, now I see it's fear of actually going back to school and becoming professional.

I know I need to trust God that He will work everything out if I just put forth the initiative in my duties.

kweenameena

Okay Ladies....the time will be coming up for a new topic later today.

But I wonder if we have really discovered how to actually conquer procrastination????

What do you all think?

Off to find some tips on dealing with procrastination

Highly Favored8

What does it mean to procrastinate?
When you know you have something to do for example, prepare your resume to receive an interview for a job and you need to have it done 1 year from now and instead of tackling it head on. You do it at the last minuet and get frustrated.
Is procrastination a sin?
I think so.
Why do we procrastinate?
Out of laziness
Did Jesus ever procrastinate?
I do not think so.
How do you conquer procrastination?
I will by setting a to do list and sticking to it.

Highly Favored8

But I wonder if we have really discovered how to actually conquer procrastination????

What do you all think?

I think that procrastination is a very bad habit and like any bad habit it has to be broken over time.

Making a to- do list with a deadlines to help deal with procrastination.:yep:

HeChangedMyName

It seems like there is a link between procrastination and fear that keeps us from doing what we need to do. I found this info online

Since fear is the number one way the devil gains access to our lives, we need to get rid of it! People steal and cheat because they fear. They lie because they fear the truth won’t be enough. They gossip for the fear of being left out. Let me give you the simple steps to breaking out of the cycle of fear:

1. Confess your fear to God.
Fear is sin. I John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

2. You have to seek Him.
Psalm 34:4 says, "Seek Him while He may be found." Hebrews 11:6 says, "Believe He is a rewarder of Him who diligently seeks Him." Spend time with Him – fellowship with Him. He’s a rewarder – when you believe that, you’ll be rid of fear.

3. Confess the Word.
Psalm 118:24 says, "This is the day the Lord has made." Confess it many times daily - "God never made anything bad. Therefore I expect this day to be a great day. I will be glad in it."

4. Break free from worry.
I can do all things through Christ, which strengthens me (Phil 4:13), but “without Him I can do nothing” (John 15:5). Worry is a subtracting force that will drain you. Which of you can add a single cubit to your life by worrying? Attack worry as a thought that contradicts the Word of God.

Here is the rest of the article with more scriptural references to overcoming fear and putting our TOTAL trust in God.
http://www.changinglives.org/life_solutions/fear.htm

HeChangedMyName

Found this too:

The opposite of spunk is procrastination. Procrastination is a tremendous destroyer of His church. It distorts our abilities and call; it distorts our opportunity and the gifts He has given us. Procrastination wastes the precious short time we were given to do our call, and this is “Pew Sitting” at its best or I should say worst. The problem with this destructive force is, it is addictive. When the leaders procrastinate, it quickly catches on to the rest of the congregation. If you have a lazy boss at work that expects little of you, then little is usually what you give in return. I cannot count the times I heard over the years, “let us wait on that” or “well, we do not need to do that” or “I do not see why we should do that” and “ well, we've never done it that way before.” These are the destructive procrastination diseases that sit down the church and neuter its ability to serve and please God. Yes, we do need to be careful and plan ahead with wisdom and discernment and not be reckless, but too many people in the church do not have a discernment problem, but a “getting off the pew and doing something problem!”
“Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap.” Ecclesiastes 11:4

found it at http://www.intothyword.org/articles_view.asp?articleid=32749&columnid=3881

*KP*

What do you all think?

What really helped me this week was not only making a today list but also assigning my tasks to different hours in the day. The last couple of days were really productive :grin:

KnottyGurl

Welcome Ladies to our first LHCF Bible Study!!!!!
This week's topic is: Conquering Procrastination

Please feel free to post your questions, scriptures, testimonies, etc.. regarding conquering procrastination. And what the bible says about procrastination.

To start us off.....here are some questions to ponder:

What does it mean to procrastinate? It means not doing what you're supposed to do when you're supposed to do it, regardless of excuses.

Is procrastination a sin? I think it may be. God is looking for obedient people. You can't be very obedient if you're constantly procrastinating.

Why do we procrastinate? Maybe because we're afraid of not finishing or of failing/being a failure. Most likely though, because we're just plain lazy people who put our wants before our needs.

Did Jesus ever procrastinate? He would have been useless if He didn't do what he was supposed to do at the appointed time.

How do you conquer procrastination? Identify your priorities and do what needs to be done, no ifs, ands or buts. I've come to realize that PLANNING is a big must.

I realize that this is a religious forum, and I'm definitely not taking God out of the equation. He knows our issues before we even have them. So, if it's a situation that's bigger than what you feel God has equipped you to handle, definitely pray about it. That's just my 2 cents though. Really good thread. I need to be reminded of this type of stuff constantly.:yep:

Last edited:

KnottyGurl

I found these tips in a textbook. It's kind of long, but useful.:yep:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Seven-Day Antiprocrastination Plan

Monday: Make it meaningful. What is important about the task you've been putting off? List all the benefits of completing it. Look at it in relation to you short-, mid-, or long-term goals. Be specific about the rewards for getting it done, including how you will feel when the task is completed. To remember this strategy, keep in mind that it starts with the letter M (Make it meaningful), like the word Monday.

Tuesday: Take it apart. Break big jobs into a series of small ones you can do in 15 minutes or less. If a long reading assignment intimidates you, divide it into two-page or three-page sections. Make a list of the sections and cross them off as you complete them so you can see your progress. Even the biggest projects can be broken down into a series of small tasks. This strategy starts with the letter T (Take it apart), so mentally tie it to Tuesday.

Wednesday: Write an Intention Statement. For example, if you can't get started on a term paper, you might write, "I intend to write a list of at least 10 possible topics by 9 p.m. I will reward myself with an hour of guilt-free recreational reading." Write your intention on a 3x5 card and carry it with you, or post it in your study area where you can see it often. In your memo
ry, file the first word in this strategy "Write" with Wednesday.

Thursday: Tell everyone. Publicly announce your intention to get a task done. Tell a friend that you intend to learn 10 irregular French verbs by Saturday. Tell your spouse, roommate, parents, and children. Include anyone who will ask whether you've completed the assignment or who will suggest ways to get it done. Make the world your support group. Associate "Tell" with Thursday.

Friday: Find a reward. Construct rewards to yourself carefully. Be willing to withhold them if you do not complete the task. Don't pick a movie as a reward for studying biology if you plan to go to the movie anyway. And when you legitimately reap your reward, notice how it feels. Remember that friday is a fine day to find a reward. (Of course, you can find a reward on any day of the week. Rhyming Friday with "Fine Day" is just a memory trick.)

Saturday: Settle it now. Do it now. The minute you notice yourself procrastinating, plunge into the task. Imagine yourself at a cold mountain lake, poised to dive. Gradual immersion would be slow torture. It's often less painful to leap. Then be sure to savor the feeling of having the task behind you. Link "Settle" with Saturday.

Sunday: Say no. When you keep pushing a task into a low-priority category, re-examine your purpose for doing it at all. If you realize that you really don't intend to do something, quit telling yourself that you will. That's procrastinating. Just say no. Then you're not procrastinating. You don't have to carry around the baggage of an undone task. Sunday - the last day of this seven-day plan- is a great day to finally let go and just say no.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I've got lots of this type of information hanging around cause I NEED it!:lachen:

Last edited:

cocochanty

3. Confess the Word.
Psalm 118:24 says, "This is the day the Lord has made." Confess it many times daily - "God never made anything bad. Therefore I expect this day to be a great day. I will be glad in it."

I can do all things through Christ, which strengthens me (Phil 4:13), but “without Him I can do nothing” (John 15:5). Worry is a subtracting force that will drain you. Which of you can add a single cubit to your life by worrying? Attack worry as a thought that contradicts the Word of God.

It is interesting that I was reading some chapters in Genesis and I saw where is said that God created everything and it was good.

And I am stuggling with the sin of fear and I asked God to forgive me and I repented and somehow this sneaks back into my life . I dont want my salvation lost because of fear of something I cannot control. :nono:

please pray for me

Thank you for this

HeChangedMyName

3. Confess the Word.

It is interesting that I was reading some chapters in Genesis and I saw where is said that God created everything and it was good.

And I am stuggling with the sin of fear and I asked God to forgive me and I repented and somehow this sneaks back into my life . I dont want my salvation lost because of fear of something I cannot control. :nono:

please pray for me

Thank you for this

Praying for you. I have been battling with fear of "stuff" for years. Fear of success, fear of failure, fear of mediocrity and it all led to SEVERE procrastination because I was so torn. I feel you about not wanting your salvation lost because of fear. But that in itself is a fear that, IMHO is a trick of the devil. God knows your true heart desire and regardless of what your flesh is trying to convince you of, God is dealing with you on a spiritual level. salvation can't be taken away unless it you remove it from your heart and stop repenting and believing.

I found these tips in a textbook. It's kind of long, but useful.:yep:

The Seven-Day Antiprocrastination Plan

Monday: Make it meaningful. What is important about the task you've been putting off? List all the benefits of completing it. Look at it in relation to you short-, mid-, or long-term goals. Be specific about the rewards for getting it done, including how you will feel when the task is completed. To remember this strategy, keep in mind that it starts with the letter M (Make it meaningful), like the word Monday.

Tuesday: Take it apart. Break big jobs into a series of small ones you can do in 15 minutes or less. If a long reading assignment intimidates you, divide it into two-page or three-page sections. Make a list of the sections and cross them off as you complete them so you can see your progress. Even the biggest projects can be broken down into a series of small tasks. This strategy starts with the letter T (Take it apart), so mentally tie it to Tuesday.

Wednesday: Write an Intention Statement. For example, if you can't get started on a term paper, you might write, "I intend to write a list of at least 10 possible topics by 9 p.m. I will reward myself with an hour of guilt-free recreational reading." Write your intention on a 3x5 card and carry it with you, or post it in your study area where you can see it often. In your memo
ry, file the first word in this strategy "Write" with Wednesday.

Thursday: Tell everyone. Publicly announce your intention to get a task done. Tell a friend that you intend to learn 10 irregular French verbs by Saturday. Tell your spouse, roommate, parents, and children. Include anyone who will ask whether you've completed the assignment or who will suggest ways to get it done. Make the world your support group. Associate "Tell" with Thursday.

Friday: Find a reward. Construct rewards to yourself carefully. Be willing to withhold them if you do not complete the task. Don't pick a movie as a reward for studying biology if you plan to go to the movie anyway. And when you legitimately reap your reward, notice how it feels. Remember that friday is a fine day to find a reward. (Of course, you can find a reward on any day of the week. Rhyming Friday with "Fine Day" is just a memory trick.)

Saturday: Settle it now. Do it now. The minute you notice yourself procrastinating, plunge into the task. Imagine yourself at a cold mountain lake, poised to dive. Gradual immersion would be slow torture. It's often less painful to leap. Then be sure to savor the feeling of having the task behind you. Link "Settle" with Saturday.

Sunday: Say no. When you keep pushing a task into a low-priority category, re-examine your purpose for doing it at all. If you realize that you really don't intend to do something, quit telling yourself that you will. That's procrastinating. Just say no. Then you're not procrastinating. You don't have to carry around the baggage of an undone task. Sunday - the last day of this seven-day plan- is a great day to finally let go and just say no.
I've got lots of this type of information hanging around cause I NEED it!:lachen:

I am printing this---maybe several copies(one for each room of my house)