How many AA women you know are MBL or WL

tatiana

I know/knew 19 women. Most of the females do have 3a/3b hair. About 8 of them have relaxers. only 4 of them I know for sure have 4 something hair and 3 of them are related to me.

• My sister
  • her cousin -- she actually has hip length hair
  • the above's daughter
  • a Jamaican woman I see at a dance studio have hip length dreads
  • my Brazilian dance instructor's sister -- I think she has a BKT
  • my aunt
  • my cousin/my aunt's granddaughter
  • my two cousins/my aunt's daughters
  • a cousin from another aunt
  • 7 random chics from school (2 were sisters)
  • 2 of my sister friends (one was Haitian)
  • the Ethiopian girl that works up at the gas station

laurend

I know/knew 19 women. Most of the females do have 3a/3b hair. About 8 of them have relaxers. only 4 of them I know for sure have 4 something hair and 3 of them are related to me.

• My sister
  • her cousin -- she actually has hip length hair
  • the above's daughter
  • a Jamaican woman I see at a dance studio have hip length dreads
  • my Brazilian dance instructor's sister -- I think she has a BKT
  • my aunt
  • my cousin/my aunt's granddaughter
  • my two cousins/my aunt's daughters
  • a cousin from another aunt
  • 7 random chics from school (2 were sisters)
  • 2 of my sister friends (one was Haitian)
  • the Ethiopian girl that works up at the gas station
I said AA women not Brazilian, Haitian or Ethiopian. How many do you know when you take them out the the equation?

loulou82

I don't know any, and most the women I know don't want, or say they don't want hair that long.

Not speaking of your friends in particular but I wonder if many AA women who that say they don't want MBL/WL hair are saying it because they don't believe it could happen even if they wanted to... sort of a like a self-fulfilling prophesy. "AA women can't grow hair that long anyway so why try."

clever

You know over 10 AA women with BSL and beyond. What's in the drinking water around your area.:lachen:
:lachen:
The bad thing about it is that there is no in between.Most of the other women where I'm from have chin length or shorter hair...This thread makes me kinda sad...

ceebee3

I know 6. My grandmother, 2 aunts and 3 cousins. That's on my mom's side of the family. They're all naturals.

I've never had hair past APL and that was only as a child.

BellaLunie

I said AA women not Brazilian, Haitian or Ethiopian. How many do you know when you take them out the the equation?

I'm 100% Haitian and most Haitian women I know are only APL, BSL. I don't know any AA or Haitian with MBL OR WL. Right now I'm between SL and APL due to bad hair practices. Before joining I would relax from root to tip :wallbash: how could I be so stupid?

ETA: what does being Brazilian, Haitian or Ethiopian have to do with anything? Pardon my ignorance

laurend

I'm 100% Haitian and most Haitian women I know are only APL, BSL. I don't know any AA or Haitian with MBL OR WL. Right now I'm between SL and APL due to bad hair practices. Before joining I would relax from root to tip :wallbash: how could I be so stupid?

ETA: what does being Brazilian, Haitian or Ethiopian have to do with anything? Pardon my ignorance

They have different hair practices. AA women tend to abuse their hair or haven't been taught good hair regimes.

ladylibra

I don't know any with WL or MBL. But I do know 3 with very healthy BSL hair.

Ditto. Actually, I know quite a few AA/black women at APL and BSL (relaxed and natural), but rarely do I see longer than that.

Granted, with naturals it's harder to tell unless I know them and I'm aware of their shrinkage percentage. After all, no one would know I was MBL by looking at my shrunken coily hair. ;)

So if I had to sit here and count... I'd say I personally know about 8 that are MBL+ (not counting myself or anyone on hair boards). I don't know if the fact that most of them are children count. :look: And one of the kids (14) is bi-racial so I'm sure she gets thrown out the window. :rolleyes:

*Might I mention, that don't see a lot of women of any race with hair longer than BSL unless they're Indian or Mexican? :look: It could just be where I live, that most women don't really wear their hair longer than SL/APL.

Last edited:

Kellum

IRL I know, one my sister in law. Her hair has always been long and just grows effortlessly. I believe she is MBL.

Last edited:

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
*Might I mention, that don't see a lot of women of any race with hair longer than BSL unless they're Indian or Mexican? :look: It could just be where I live, that most women don't really wear their hair longer than SL/APL.

I don't either. I know 2 YT girls with WL hair and the rest are APL or above unless it is against their religion to cut their hair.

I know quite a bit of BSL AA women but none beyond that. My grandmother is MBL but she's a Black Foot Indian.

that_1_grrrl

Same here. All the long hair girls I know are Mexican. I also know what Puerto Rican (my best friend) with classic length hair. Other than that, I mostly see APL or BSL hair, and on the White women I see, most of the time that APL/BSL hair looks damaged and full of split ends. Rarely do I ever see hair around here that gets a second look from me.

Taleah2009

I know of one. my cousin. She is 100% natural and her hair is beautiful! its thick and long, she is almost waistlength

maxineshaw

Since locs don't count zero (and even then the answer was only 1-waist length btw). Now, if there was a thread about how many balding, traction alopecia having, receding hairline due to braids but still get the braids again anyway because they like to pretend that my broken edges are baby hair and press them down with Let's Jam having women I know, I could talk for days.

ClassicBeauty

I know a few!
I had drinks with one last night (an old friend from college), and several of my sorority sisters from college have MBL hair. My neighbor has MBL hair too.

WL is a little harder... I can't really think of many, but any of the MBL ladies that I know could be WL if they wanted to be. They just don't want to deal with that much hair. :/ I personally think I'm starting to look like a Pentecostal or a Duggar. :) It's time for a cut.

Maybe it's because the Southern ladies are still into long hair, and we don't follow every trend in Hollywood/NYC? I don't know what it is, but I know lots of ladies with nice, long hair.

Taleah2009

Do you guys think that if AA women take proper care of there hair, that anyone could reach MBL or WL?? I am very curious.

Taleah2009

Not speaking of your friends in particular but I wonder if many AA women who that say they don't want MBL/WL hair are saying it because they don't believe it could happen even if they wanted to... sort of a like a self-fulfilling prophesy. "AA women can't grow hair that long anyway so why try."

Good point!

ellehair

I dont know any and dont think I will not round my parts anyway..APL is considered hellaa long where I'm at!

maxineshaw

Do you guys think that if AA women take proper care of there hair, that anyone could reach MBL or WL?? I am very curious.

I think it depends. Most black women I know don't know how to take care of their hair properly. Also, there is a genetic factor where their length may not get that far. However, for the most part I believe the lack of length is due to a lack of care.