My first experience with SILK ELEMENTS MILD RELAXER!

mizzdee

i'm thinking of texlaxing...has anyone had experience using SE for texlaxing? I would definitely want to be more underprocessed than overprocessed so I need something that is mild and won't completely take all the curl out of my hair. TIA!

MoMo

I have used this relaxer for over two years now (although I recently tried Lianange Shea Butter Relaxer). There were a few times that about 2-3 weeks after application I noticed that I was underprocessed. I believe that happened because my hair was not completely stripped of product.

I think anyone using this relaxer and notices reversion or underprocessing should try and clarify their hair a few days prior to application. I usually add oil to my relaxer and that works out fine but anything more on my hair (i.e. gel, shea butter, etc) causes it to underprocess.

Crystalicequeen123

I have used this relaxer for over two years now (although I recently tried Lianange Shea Butter Relaxer). There were a few times that about 2-3 weeks after application I noticed that I was underprocessed. I believe that happened because my hair was not completely stripped of product.

I think anyone using this relaxer and notices reversion or underprocessing should try and clarify their hair a few days prior to application. I usually add oil to my relaxer and that works out fine but anything more on my hair (i.e. gel, shea butter, etc) causes it to underprocess.

Thanks for the input MoMo. I mean, I want a relaxer that will get my hair straight, but not SOOO straight that it's limp, thin, and devoid of texture. Does anyone know what I mean?

Did you try the mild formula, or the regular?

i'm thinking of texlaxing...has anyone had experience using SE for texlaxing? I would definitely want to be more underprocessed than overprocessed so I need something that is mild and won't completely take all the curl out of my hair. TIA!

Oh well then you definitely need to try the mild formula of Silk Elements. Trust me, if you relax with the mild formula and and don't leave it in longer than 15 minutes, then you WILL be underprocessed! Trust me! lol

Crystalicequeen123

***UPDATE***!

Okay! Well...turns out I trusted my gut and went ahead and had my stylist put the mild Silk Elements relaxer in my hair again.

I decided I would allow her to leave it in my hair for at least 20 minutes.

Well, turns out, she was basically finished smoothing and was taking me to the wash bowl after about 16 or 17 minutes! I wasn't even getting rinsed until it was like 18 minutes (not even the full 20 minutes!). I figured it wasn't that bad since my hair was soooo massively THICK! Even my stylist commented on how thick it was getting.

Welllll....after she rollerset my hair, and my hair was done, I couldn't believe how STRAIGHT my hair came out! She said that the relaxer took well to my hair.

Now tell me....how on EARTH is it that this relaxer produced 2 very different results! I like my hair (since it's silky smooth, straight, and bouncy---unlike last time!), but I think it's a bit TOO straight for my liking. :ohwell: My hair is fine to begin with, and I can see my edges have thinned out due to the relaxer. :(

*sigh* You can't win I guess!

Pros:
-My hair LOOKS fresh, silky, and is behaving! :yep:
-I'm getting loads of compliments on my hair!
-My hair has grown quite long, and I'm getting lots of nice comments on the length.

Cons:
-My hair is thinner than I wanted it to be
-It's not really thick like last time. :ohwell:

I think next time I may have her not smooth it as much.

Either that, or someone switched and put a regular strength relaxer in a MILD formula tub! :eek: Has anyone else experienced massively DIFFERENT results from using the SE MILD formula?!? I"m telling you, the difference is like night and day!! :eek:

IWantBSl09

***UPDATE***!

Okay! Well...turns out I trusted my gut and went ahead and had my stylist put the mild Silk Elements relaxer in my hair again.

I decided I would allow her to leave it in my hair for at least 20 minutes.

Well, turns out, she was basically finished smoothing and was taking me to the wash bowl after about 16 or 17 minutes! I wasn't even getting rinsed until it was like 18 minutes (not even the full 20 minutes!). I figured it wasn't that bad since my hair was soooo massively THICK! Even my stylist commented on how thick it was getting.

Welllll....after she rollerset my hair, and my hair was done, I couldn't believe how STRAIGHT my hair came out! She said that the relaxer took well to my hair.

Now tell me....how on EARTH is it that this relaxer produced 2 very different results! I like my hair (since it's silky smooth, straight, and bouncy---unlike last time!), but I think it's a bit TOO straight for my liking. :ohwell: My hair is fine to begin with, and I can see my edges have thinned out due to the relaxer. :(

*sigh* You can't win I guess!

Pros:
-My hair LOOKS fresh, silky, and is behaving! :yep:
-I'm getting loads of compliments on my hair!
-My hair has grown quite long, and I'm getting lots of nice comments on the length.

Cons:
-My hair is thinner than I wanted it to be
-It's not really thick like last time. :ohwell:

I think next time I may have her not smooth it as much.

Either that, or someone switched and put a regular strength relaxer in a MILD formula tub! :eek: Has anyone else experienced massively DIFFERENT results from using the SE MILD formula?!? I"m telling you, the difference is like night and day!! :eek:

I'm confused weren't you upset that it was thick (underprocessed?) last time because when your stylist tried to do the rollersets, she couldnt get through the roots?

supermodelsonya

I recently tried this as well and loved the results I got. I use it on my daughter's hair too and get excellent results. It's actually on sale at Sally's right now for 2.99 (in my neck of the woods) I saw it today and should've grabbed some.

taj

Now I'm confused because, I dont know if I should use the lye or no-lye version. I normally use regular, no-lye. My hair is thick overall, but I have fine individual strands. My hair type is 4a. Any suggestions ladies?? TIA

Moisture2608

Does anyone know if I can use ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo to neutralize after applying Silk Elements Relaxer? Or, do I have to use Silk Elements Neutralizer?

SelfStyled

Just wanted to update the thread - I really liked the results, however when I got to 5 weeks post the shedding was uncontrollable. Needless to say, I am back with Affirm.

MissLawyerLady

My stylist has switched to SE mild lye relaxer and I love it so far. It works better than the Motions she's used for years. Processes better and she doesn't have to work as hard, but my hair has more life. Stylist even said that I can stretch longer with this relaxer because it seemed to process my hair better amd make my hair more manageable (I'm assuming she meant at the demarcation line).

Prose Princess

I think I am going to use this relaxer at my next touchup. It has great reviews, is easily accessible (no ordering online yay!), and you can't beat that price. Aside from the neutralizing shampoo, what other products are you ladies using with it?

leilasbest

I tried the mild lye version last month. My hair came out great! I had used Motions for years, and recently had tried Affirm (my hair was waaaaay too overprocessed) and Mizani (set my scalp on fiya!). I am 3 weeks post and my roots still feel super straight.

Prose, I used the Motions Neutralizing poo that I had left over, then conditioned with Ion Effective Care Treatment (I use that as a deep con as well). My hair has never felt so straight and silky, but yet with so much bounce. Usually, the week after the relaxer, my hair has no life. With SE Mild, it has plenty of bounce and is still straight.

It's funny, I didn't even know about this thread when I tried it!:grin:

MarieB

I used SE about 4 weeks ago, and my hair is still feeling and looking great (better now, since the BC--still getting used used to that). I've had a pretty decent amount of new growth, so I'll probably touch up in the next week or so. Loving the SE!!!

Dposh167

i tried this for the first time. And now i'm currently at 4 weeks, and my edges and roots look like i never got a perm.

but that could be due to me not smoothing right. and i used a ton of product on my hair during the week i was relaxing. So, i'm gonna try this one more time and see if anything changes

tropical-punch

Silk Elements doesn't even release the curl for me. Even when I was using the strongest kind. My hair is like that though. Very resistant.