Does estrogen increase hair growth rate?

karezone

I was told by a friend that I should crush up some BC pills and put them in my hair oil and apply to my scalp in order to increase hair growth. She said that is what BB super gro (old formula) really worked, it had hormones in it but the removed them after the hormone replacement backlash out of fear of a lawsuit.

Has anyone else heard this.

I have some pills left over in a pack and wanted to know before I crushed them up.

Koffie

My question is if they are suppose to work externally, then why wouldn't they work internally?

Also, yes I have heard BB did have hormones back in the day, but I am not sure if it made MY hair grow since my hair was long back in the day anyway. I still used BB though 'cause it was light.

karezone

Koffie said:
My question is if they are suppose to work externally, then why wouldn't they work internally?

Also, yes I have heard BB did have hormones back in the day, but I am not sure if it made MY hair grow since my hair was long back in the day anyway. I still used BB though 'cause it was light.

Good question. Any takers.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Hmmm... I don't know if it would work topically. When I started BC about a month ago, I did look up information on BC and hair loss and some information that I found said that it will seems as if your hair is coming out more, but only because it's growing faster(due to the hormones) so your shedding phases come quicker.

simcha

I don't know about hair growth but it is believed fibroid tumours thrive on estrogen.

I just had about 8 fibroids (one the size of a melon) removed. Two of my friends just had thiers removed (melon sized) and another friend of mine is about to have hers removed (the size of a bowling ball). I was sitting in the veterinarian's office today and one woman there had just had hers removed three weeks ago and her friend has them but is trying to manage them holistically. With one exception, all of the women above are minorities.

Fibroid tumours are becoming epidemic among minority women and some doctors are beginning to think it's the norm. There seems to be a link to abnormal intake or production of estrogen (non-organic meat, birth control pills and even genetically altered fruits and vegetables) but it is not conclusive. Many doctors try to push hysterectomies still, but more and more doctors are performing myomectomies (just the removal of the fibroids -- it's a more difficult surgery).

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread but I just wanted to put this out there before people started jumping on the estrogen bandwagon.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
simcha said:
I don't know about hair growth but it is believed fibroid tumours thrive on estrogen.

I just had about 8 fibroids (one the size of a melon) removed. Two of my friends just had thiers removed (melon sized) and another friend of mine is about to have hers removed (the size of a bowling ball). I was sitting in the veterinarian's office today and one woman there had just had hers removed three weeks ago and her friend has them but is trying to manage them holistically. With one exception, all of the women above are minorities.

Fibroid tumours are becoming epidemic among minority women and some doctors are beginning to think it's the norm. There seems to be a link to abnormal intake or production of estrogen (non-organic meat, birth control pills and even genetically altered fruits and vegetables) but it is not conclusive. Many doctors try to push hysterectomies still, but more and more doctors are performing myomectomies (just the removal of the fibroids -- it's a more difficult surgery).

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread but I just wanted to put this out there before people started jumping on the estrogen bandwagon.

Oh yes, I would hate to see someone take estrogen just for hair growth. Good info.

karezone

simcha said:

I smell a conspiracy, but seriously. I am looking into it. We are exposed to a lot of hormones through food, environment, and medication.

I am also looking into Saw palmetto.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
karezone said:

I was told by a friend that I should crush up some BC pills and put them in my hair oil and apply to my scalp in order to increase hair growth. She said that is what BB super gro (old formula) really worked, it had hormones in it but the removed them after the hormone replacement backlash out of fear of a lawsuit.

Has anyone else heard this.

I have some pills left over in a pack and wanted to know before I crushed them up.

For me, it just increased the growth rate for the facial hair :mad:. Mind you everyone reacts differently to BC pills and there are so many out there.

Jewell

I've been taking BC pills for about 3 years now, and I haven't noticed an increase in hair growth, as opposed to my rate before them.

Healthb4Length

I heard that they stopped using human hormones constitutes in BB hair grease because a study found that although they did increase hair growth in young black girls, they also sped up the process of puberty...young 8 & 9 year old girls were developing hips and breast. For years scientists did not know why, they finally theorized that the ingredients in these products known as human hormone constitutes increased these occurances...:ohwell:

karezone

Alli77 said:
I heard that they stopped using human hormones constitutes in BB hair grease because a study found that although they did increase hair growth in young black girls, they also sped up the process of puberty...young 8 & 9 year old girls were developing hips and breast. For years scientists did not know why, they finally theorized that the ingredients in these products known as human hormone constitutes increased these occurances...:ohwell:

I just was told that black girls matured faster than white girls simply because on average, black people are larger.

Koffie

karezone said:
I just was told that black girls matured faster than white girls simply because on average, black people are larger.

This is what I believe, 'cause I know plenty of black girls (ie my cousin), who grew up on Blue Magic or Vaseline, and they had big titties in the fourth grade. :ohwell:

Queenie

simcha said:

I agree. My GYN discourages me from taking anything with estrogen. All of the older women in my family have/had fibriods.

Healthb4Length

This is what I believe, 'cause I know plenty of black girls (ie my cousin), who grew up on Blue Magic or Vaseline, and they had big titties in the fourth grade. :ohwell:I do believe that we are just bigger too...but sometimes I wonder about certain things manufactured towards us, I also wonder about areas that have a large black population always concidently have higher rates of cancer and asthma....I just am careful of these things ya never know.:lol:

Dogmd

Please don't consider taking estogen or crushing up birth control pills in the name of hair growth. One can really screw up their metabolism by doing that. Artificial hormones should be banned from the market.

Thanks to the person who wrote the post about the Fibroids... It is a shame, so many women are afflicted by these tumors and don't even know why!

karezone

Dogmd said:
Please don't consider taking estogen or crushing up birth control pills in the name of hair growth. One can really screw up their metabolism by doing that. Artificial hormones should be banned from the market.

Thanks to the person who wrote the post about the Fibroids... It is a shame, so many women are afflicted by these tumors and don't even know why!

I have decided against crushing my BC pills for and putting them on my hair. I decided instead to use an old bottle Biotin :grin:. I left them in my Aunt's garage over the summer and when I got back to them, they looked and smelled funny. Making me afraid to take them so I just got a new bottle.

I am also looking into minoval. But I am having trouble finding a site that I trust.