Hip–Tailbone Length (HL–TBL) 2014 Challenge!

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
So I cowashed again & back in a bun.... I cannot wait for a cut. This is the longest 12 week wait ever! :(
Cutting back to waist is going to be liberating. :)

pre_medicalrulz

You said you were cutting a couple of inches due to your ends a couple of weeks ago, right after your relaxer. Why are you choppin' at the bit to cut again? You shouldn't need to cut again so soon. :badgirl:

I can see right now that I'm going to have to get a bedazzler for my whip. :whip: It needs to be pretty if I'm using it frequently :look: Y'all done went cut and trim crazy up in here.

Last edited:

cocosweet

@pre_medicalrulz

You said you were cutting a couple of inches due to your ends a couple of weeks ago, right after your relaxer. Why are you choppin' at the bit to cut again? You shouldn't need to cut again so soon. :badgirl:

I can see right now that I'm going to have to get a bedazzler for my whip. :whip: It needs to be pretty if I'm using it frequently :look: Y'all done went cut and trim crazy up in here.
Umm. I guess I shouldn't mention that I think I'm going to give myself a trim this weekend. I wanted to wait until December but my hair is getting on my nerves and I'm trying not to do something drastic.

I figure I'll trim and then do inversion for a week so I shouldn't miss what I trim away.:grin:

***dodges whip***

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
cocosweet, when was your last trim? Was it recent, like two weeks ago? That's the only reason I'm cracking the bedazzled :whip:. I know we have to dust/trim for maintenance and health comes before length. We're not having any unnecessary cut/trim(s) up in here!

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
pre_medicalrulz

I trimmed the day of my relaxer but I need a cut. I like thick strong ends....my retention is more successful that way.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
cocosweet, when was your last trim? Was it recent, like two weeks ago? That's the only reason I'm cracking the bedazzled :whip:. I know we have to dust/trim for maintenance and health comes before length. We're not having any unnecessary cut/trim(s) up in here!

I love it! Bedazzled whip...:lachen::lachen::lachen:

LaVgirl

cocosweet I had to do a quick Google search. I had never before heard of inversion. It is so interesting! Does this really work for you? I think I'd like to try it out. :)

cocosweet

@cocosweet, when was your last trim? Was it recent, like two weeks ago? That's the only reason I'm cracking the bedazzled :whip:. I know we have to dust/trim for maintenance and health comes before length. We're not having any unnecessary cut/trim(s) up in here!
MileHighDiva, it think it was July or August. I usually dust when I feel my ends getting raggedy, but there must have been a point when dusting was no longer enough and I'm paying for it. I think I was doing it about every three months. I used to be scissor happy and my hair stayed the same length for years but it was healthy. I need to find a happy medium.

ckisland

It seems to be hair cutting season up in here :nono:!!! I'm in my right frame of mind now, and I'm so glad I didn't go there :blush:.

On a good note, I tried Cantu Curling Custard today and OMG this might be love :kissing4: . I tested out small bit last night by using it to twist a small section of my dry hair. Great results!! I would recommend it for the slip alone :lick:. I could dry detangle with this and that's saying a lot! It is the easiest gel/cream/styler/custard I have ever applied. And I thought the texture would be snotty like other custards, but it's thick and more like glue. What made me pick it up is the fact that it's mineral/petroleum, silicon, propylene, paraben, and PVP free!!! I diffused with my blowdryer and I love the results. Now the real test is to see how many days I can get out of it :yep:.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
It seems to be hair cutting season up in here :nono:!!! I'm in my right frame of mind now, and I'm so glad I didn't go there :blush:.

I'm happy that feeling passed over.

MileHighDiva, it think it was July or August. I usually dust when I feel my ends getting raggedy, but there must have been a point when dusting was no longer enough and I'm paying for it. I think I was doing it about every three months. I used to be scissor happy and my hair stayed the same length for years but it was healthy. I need to find a happy medium.

I understand, please let us know when you find the recipe for success, regarding the most beneficial cut/dust/trim schedule for your hair.

I love it! Bedazzled whip...:lachen::lachen::lachen:

:lol:

I trimmed the day of my relaxer but I need a cut. I like thick strong ends....my retention is more successful that way.

You live with your hair everyday and you've made it to W"HIP", so you know what's best for your mane, :yep: Please don't have another setback listening to others. I just don't want you or anyone else cutting their beautiful locks for no reason and not meeting their goals.

In addition, you know that sometimes that I live vicariously through the longer haired ladies, :yep:

bebezazueta

I had to have the hubby hide my scissors. I'm glad I did, cause I'm getting closer to WL & my ends are fine. I don't use heat at all because airdrying is going well for me.

So the plan is to continue to PS until dec 2014 & do a big trim them. I'm buying a creaclip & the hubby will trim it for me. He's excited after I showed him the video.

My goal is ushaped full HL. So my longest layer is 4.5 inches away & my shortest layer is 8 inches away. Very doable.

I want to use wigs as PS but I have no idea where to start or what to do with my hair while I workout. Working out and sweating profusely is giving me crazy new growth. My spinning classes have the sweat dripping down my face continuously!

Since I rarely where my hair down, it's easier not to be tempted to cut. I still get tempted cause I love perfect blunt ends. Oh well, I will have that dream hemline 12/2014 just in time for my 10th wedding anniversary!

JosieLynn

So on friday I did an Amla HOT with a little black castor oil as well and....that is some super oil! :hero: I accidentally made it an overnight HOT but when I went to wash my hair the next morning it took me 3 shampoos to get it where my hair didn't still feel oily and i was sure my scalp was clean lol :grin: thankfully even after all that my hair still felt very soft and was easy to detangle :lick:...just have to remember 30 min HOT is all i need with the amla lol. Also i ended up blowdrying, straightening and doing a light dusting. I haven't cut/trim/dusted my hair since december of 2012 so i figured it was time and I really didnt have to cut any substantial amount off, at the most in some areas MAYBE an 1/8 in, so i'll wear my hair out today since it's straightened and then it's back to flat-twists and buns for the week. here's a photo of the total amount trimmed as well as a dry flat-twist and bantu-knot out I wore yesterday

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 60
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 75

JosieLynn

Thank you! ckisland Froreal3

So i have a question for the thread: does anyone find their hair to be lightening itself over time??? My hair is slowly becoming a much lighter sandy brown than I ever remember. My mother doesn't even remember it being this light and I have read about being out in the sun can "bleach" it along with chlorine exposure but I haven't been swimming and I don't really spend a ton of time outdoors especially since it's getting colder. So I haven't the foggiest idea what's causing this color change. It doesn't seem to be unhealthy in anyway, I'm just shocked by the difference in color lately. Help please!

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!

So i have a question for the thread: does anyone find their hair to be lightening itself over time??? My hair is slowly becoming a much lighter sandy brown than I ever remember. My mother doesn't even remember it being this light and I have read about being out in the sun can "bleach" it along with chlorine exposure but I haven't been swimming and I don't really spend a ton of time outdoors especially since it's getting colder. So I haven't the foggiest idea what's causing this color change. It doesn't seem to be unhealthy in anyway, I'm just shocked by the difference in color lately. Help please!

Im relaxed so I know that's why my hair turned a lighter dirty brown.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint

JosieLynn my hair color hasn't turned. Have you been using henna? It may just be because your hair is moisturized now.

ckisland

My hair had always been almost black my whole life until a couple of years of being natural. In the summer my hair lightens a lot (I don't swim either) to medium-dark brown. The tips will have a reddy-brown hue that I kept cutting off thinking it was left over dye :spinning:, until I realized that they kept coming back. My mom is relaxed, but she has such pretty highlights now. They're super obvious and look professionally done :lol:.

JosieLynn

that's so bizarre to me, I stopped using henna almost 2 years ago and a lot of ppl can tell it's different at the top of my head so that means it's growing out a different color. and i've been natural 3 years now....i guess if it's not doing anything else crazy i'll just let it be

ckisland

Sigh Cantu Curling Custard. Why do you have to have great hold but suddenly start flaking like crazy?! What am I suppose to do with that?! :catfight:

ckisland

Sigh Cantu Curling Custard. Why do you have to have great hold but suddenly start flaking like crazy?! What am I suppose to do with that?! :catfight:
^ I think it was the little bit of Aussie Moist I left in my hair. I totally forgot that it's too thick to play well with gels. Had to do an emergency wash at 11 at night :nono:.

ckisland

That late night wash was a success and gave me fifth day hair :yep:. I used Giovanni 50/50 as my leave-in and had no flaking. Plus, I was able to rinse away the gel that had been in before with just water. Even though the jar of curling custard I have now looks barely touched (another plus), I'm picking up another jar from Walmart. I freaking love this stuff!!! :grin:

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
My hair is a little longer than BSL and thinking about getting box braids. Do you all think that's a good idea?

soldier4hair

In my experience, unless they are carefully self installed and then carefully self removed within 2 months. Probably not. The African hair braiders I used to go see were absolute murder on my hair. In fact I stopped relaxing ever since the age of 19. I am 27 now. It is only when I stopped going to the hair braiders in 2011 that I began this healthy hair journey. I started off with neck length hair and now have waist length hair. Before then my hair stayed between neck length and shoulder length for six years.

I went back to get kinky twists in the summer of 2011 and vowed never again. I removed the twists myself after only 3 weeks and finger detangled each section of hair at take-down. That is how I saved my length. However, the hair braider still used a rat tail comb to rip through each section in order to part my hair. So, for a while I had somewhat reduced density.

I say this to say that in order to maintain a braid style as an effective protective style, find a gentle stylist or do it yourself. Also don't keep them in too long or the hair will have an opportunity to wrap around itself at the root.

cherishlove

DoDo thank you is not enough. Sometimes you have to hear it from someone else. I'm so hair lazy lately.

I think I'm going to go to my trusted hair stylist. She's about an hour away from me.

Aireen

I've recently damaged a piece of my hairline at the very front. It's that kind of damage that is so beyond repair. Luckily, it's a small piece right at the front so it doesn't show or get noticed but I'm still bothered by it. I'll be using my protein conditioner for a while to help that area and other parts of my hair that are possibly damaged. I'm pretty shocked... this part of my hair used to be so healthy. :sad:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I've recently damaged a piece of my hairline at the very front. It's that kind of damage that is so beyond repair. Luckily, it's a small piece right at the front so it doesn't show or get noticed but I'm still bothered by it. I'll be using my protein conditioner for a while to help that area and other parts of my hair that are possibly damaged. I'm pretty shocked... this part of my hair used to be so healthy. :sad:

What happened? How did you damage it? I hope that area bounces back quick!