What's up with Crisco?

MsLizziA

I see a lot of ladies on the board use crisco. What do you use it for? How safe is that?

I would think lard would clog your pores but thats just my thought. I don't really know. Please enlighten me

MilkChocolateOne

lard is pig fat, crisco does not contain lard

crisco oil is made from soybean oil and i have seen cotton seed oil on the ingredient list before too

crisco shortening is made from soybean oil, and hydrogenated palm oil

as for clogging pores, anything comedogenic has the ability to clog pores, even natural oils and butters this is not directed at you op but there seems to be a misconception among some people on this board that only synthetic ingredients, mineral oil and silicons are the only items that can cause build up or clog pores. Anything we use in our hair has the potential to cause build up or clog pores, including natural oils(castor oil causes build up for some people), butters(shea and cocoa butters cause build up problems for some), conditioners, shampoos, styling gels, and other products.

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
crisco is safe to use on the skin, many people use it for their eczema. Crisco is a vegetable oil so I'm sure it is safe to use on the scalp.

Yes they do. I've heard it's very effective for eczema.

As for the hair. Some ladies use it like a grease to seal in moisture or just on their ends. I don't think it's being used on the scalp. It's just as effective of a sealant as anything else.

Ingredients:

SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS).

LilMissRed

when I 1st decided to 'wear my hair' I'd read on another board that ladies were using Crisco.. so I ran out and bought some... Its still sitting under my bathroom cabinet tho :lachen: .. I tried it 1x and wasnt impressed.. maybe I'll revisit, but I had no idea it could be used for eczema too!! MY dd suffers bigtime.. maybe I'll pull it out and let her try it on her skin to see how that goes :ohwell:

Solitude

lard is pig fat, crisco does not contain lard

crisco oil is made from soybean oil and i have seen cotton seed oil on the ingredient list before too

crisco shortening is made from soybean oil, and hydrogenated palm oil

as for clogging pores, anything comedogenic has the ability to clog pores, even natural oils and butters this is not directed at you op but there seems to be a misconception among some people on this board that only synthetic ingredients, mineral oil and silicons are the only items that can cause build up or clog pores. Anything we use in our hair has the potential to cause build up or clog pores, including natural oils(castor oil causes build up for some people), butters(shea and cocoa butters cause build up problems for some), conditioners, shampoos, styling gels, and other products.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this.

Tee

I don't use it and didnt know it was the 'happening' thing right now. But it is great on eczema. A saw the amazing night and day difference it made on a baby's skin. The mom couldn't find anything and had every cream the dr could prescribe yet it was Crisco that did the job. Tyra Banks use it on her elbows. Just didn't know people were putting it on the hair.

dlewis

crisco is safe to use on the skin, many people use it for their eczema. Crisco is a vegetable oil so I'm sure it is safe to use on the scalp.

I started using it for this reason. Recently started using it on my face and I LOVE IT. I may age gracefully after all.

Guitarhero

I know of a pediatrician with children who was trying to find an expensive and effective treatment for winter dry skin and came up with Crisco. I also know Black women in age who have used it for decades as a face cream and they are wrinkle-free, soft and supple. It's great in the winter. I didn't know people used it on their hair.

charmtreese

I use it plain on my ends and my hair loves it!!!!! I even mix it with other oils, eo's and sulfur and use it on my scalp:blush:!!! It has been working well for me and it is the only product I used last week other than my morrocan glimmer spray between washes! So far Im amazed at how crisco was able to keep my hair moisturized for an entire week without having to use any other products. I'm still in the experimental phase with using crisco, but so far Im really impressed! :yep:

dlewis

I'm going to try it on my hair. Just think a cheap and natural product I can use on my eczema, face and hair. I could save a bunch of money.

I recieved more compliments of my skin since using this and before people were saying how much older I looked, grief had aged me 10-15 years.

afrikurl

As mentioned earlier, Crisco is just hydrogenated vegetable oil. Please don't eat it but it's the same as some of the butters that people buy online like olive butter and avocado butter. They are oils that have been hydrogenated. (Hydrogen has been added to them) I have never bought plain crisco but I have really been pondering it lately. A long time ago I bought hairveda's green tea hair and body butter. Crisco or hydrogenated vegetable oil is one of the main ingredients.My DD's hair loves it. I used it on her hair wet or dry sometimes and it does helt to make it soft.

Now I didn't know that it had palm oil and anti oxidants. Dlewis that may be whay your skin is gleaming. I may purchase this sooner rather than later.

BlaqBella

My mother's (ace/good friend); her daughter was in town visiting several years back and her hair was bsl-mbl (if i'm remembering right) she said she used crisco to get there. Of course i didn't want to believe her...but it was very soft and healthy looking.

Filmatic

My mother's (ace/good friend); her daughter was in town visiting several years back and her hair was bsl-mbl (if i'm remembering right) she said she used crisco to get there. Of course i didn't want to believe her...but it was very soft and healthy looking.

My fam and friend didn't want to believe me either but when they touched my hair they couldn't stop. That stuff can keep my hair soft for days without a retouch. It also helped me with SSKs.

charmtreese

My fam and friend didn't want to believe me either but when they touched my hair they couldn't stop. That stuff can keep my hair soft for days without a retouch. It also helped me with SSKs.

This is why I have fallen so hard for it!!! I mix mine with JBCO & walnut oil. I read your old posts about cris thats what made me decide to give it a try!!!:yep::yep::yep:

mscocoface

My skin now that it is soooo much older tends to dry out really bad. I am going to try this since I run out of my shea aloe butter which I would get from soapersupplies.

Will be back with results today and let you all know what I think right after my shower.

mscocoface

I just tried this from head to toe. I did a cowash and put in on my ends so I will let you know how that feels tomorrow.

As for the rest of my skin. This is the first time in a looong time I did not have to put lotion on TWICE on my hands!

I think I am going to add one of parma violet carrier oils just to give it a hint of a scent.

This is a keeper so far. I can now scratch ordering shae aloe butter from my list now.

:yep: