i need a magic potion for braidouts that last!!!

sylviaetc

lol anyone know of any "magic potion" or gel that will give my braidouts some hold without making my hair stiff and flakey?
tia

Isis

Re: i need a magic potion for braidouts that last!

Are you talking about what to put on your hair while you are braiding your hair or after the braidout is done?

model_chick717

I'm talking about while I'm braiding....not sure what sylviaetc is referring to.....thx!

Nay

Sylvia, is your hair natural or relaxed? Knowing that might help people recommend products.

I'm a natural, and I've tried different things with so-so results.

The way I do my braidouts now is a way that most people probably wouldn't want to. I wash/condition my hair. Then when I get out the shower, I braid my hair into about 12-14 box braids. My hair dries fast, so I have to spritz each section with some water as I'm going. Then I liberally apply Liv creme hair dressing, and then I braid. I rub the Liv in my hands and then onto my hair.

Then I leave my braids in overnight. I let my hair dry completely. Also I sleep in my silk scarf.

The next day when I take my braids down, my waves are defined, my hair is shiny and soft.

My hair stays wavy for a good five days. And I don't apply any other product to my hair that entire time. (If you look at my hair pictures under "braidout," the two pictures on the very bottom of the page show my braidout using just water and Liv and washing and conditioning my hair with CON.)

Of course, the first two days usually look the best. But the other days don't look bad. I'm sure to wear my scarf every night to keep my hair from getting dry looking or fuzzy.

I think the Liv works for my hair because I put a lot on while my hair is wet, and it seems to kind of "lock" in the moisture and keeps my waves defined and keeps a sheen on my hair.

But Liv does has mineral oil in it, and I know that a lot of people don't like to use products that have mineral oil.

** Also I've noticed that what shampoo/conditioner I use makes a big difference. Now that I'm using CON nourishing conditioner in the white bottle with the purple writing, my braidouts have come out better than they ever used to. I love that stuff!!

blue_flower

I use grease (cocount/castor) and water. When I take out my braids I wear a silk scarf as well.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:
Sylvia, is your hair natural or relaxed? Knowing that might help people recommend products.

I'm a natural, and I've tried different things with so-so results.

The way I do my braidouts now is a way that most people probably wouldn't want to. I wash/condition my hair. Then when I get out the shower, I braid my hair into about 12-14 box braids. My hair dries fast, so I have to spritz each section with some water as I'm going. Then I liberally apply Liv creme hair dressing, and then I braid. I rub the Liv in my hands and then onto my hair.

Then I leave my braids in overnight. I let my hair dry completely. Also I sleep in my silk scarf.

The next day when I take my braids down, my waves are defined, my hair is shiny and soft.

My hair stays wavy for a good five days. And I don't apply any other product to my hair that entire time. (If you look at my hair pictures under "braidout," the two pictures on the very bottom of the page show my braidout using just water and Liv and washing and conditioning my hair with CON.)

Of course, the first two days usually look the best. But the other days don't look bad. I'm sure to wear my scarf every night to keep my hair from getting dry looking or fuzzy.

I think the Liv works for my hair because I put a lot on while my hair is wet, and it seems to kind of "lock" in the moisture and keeps my waves defined and keeps a sheen on my hair.

But Liv does has mineral oil in it, and I know that a lot of people don't like to use products that have mineral oil.

** Also I've noticed that what shampoo/conditioner I use makes a big difference. Now that I'm using CON nourishing conditioner in the white bottle with the purple writing, my braidouts have come out better than they ever used to. I love that stuff!!

[/ QUOTE ]

i finally saw the Liv in salley's and thought of you Nay, now that i read this thread im gonna get it and try it....im tryin to do a braid out right now..dont think its gonna work though

Nay

Now, Irresistable, I thought you had gone natural-products-only!! Girl, don't let me make you fall off the natural products wagon

By the way, you scurred me so much with your last post, I think I'm going to see how long I can stay away from my pressing comb. I know I'll use it again eventually, but I'm going to give it a rest for now.

sylviaetc

hi ladies... thanx for the responses.

in answer to your question my hair is relaxed, but due to the fact that i only relax twice a year i have about 4ins. new growth. i'm about to relax again in a couple of weeks but i like to give my hair a break during the summer by wearing braidouts 24/7

i basically follow nays' regimine with the exception of using different products. i use mixed oils on my scalp, kemi conditioning spray throughout my hair and a little moisturizer like nexxus headdress and then braid; it takes around 12hrs to dry completely.
my problem is that my braidouts look nice those first two days but it's downhill from then on...

any suggestions (btw:i do keep my hair tied up at night but that doesn't seem to help with holding the pattern)

tia

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:
Now, Irresistable, I thought you had gone natural-products-only!! Girl, don't let me make you fall off the natural products wagon

By the way, you scurred me so much with your last post, I think I'm going to see how long I can stay away from my pressing comb. I know I'll use it again eventually, but I'm going to give it a rest for now.

[/ QUOTE ] girl please im willing to use whatever will work and it definitley seems that Liv works for you, i opened it and smelled it and read it, and was interested in it from what i saw and smelled, its seems like its a nice consistency....i got nothin to lose, i can still use the other stuff too. didnt mean to scare ya, but yeah im stayin away for a little while too