What's up with Crisco?

DarkHair

Im sitting with protein dc right now. I put on a knit cap and went to Dollar General to get some. Im going to try this when I get ready to rollerset or flat iron.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S via LHCF app :look:

How did you use it? On wet or dry hair?

I'm not quite sure, but using it on wet hair sound like a disaster and a half in the making...at least with my hair. With that being said, I used it just before I blowdried, so the ends of my hair were kind of wet, but not soaking wet. I blowdried on low heat and still go great results!!! (surprisingly) Then I used my Hana Elite on 370 (I used that thinking that the highest setting would burn my hair off....trust me, I was scared to use the Crisco...I couldn't bare the thought of hearing my hair crack, snap, and pop). The 370 temp was perfect. I did exactly what empressri did in her tutorial. I used small sections and I did each piece twice. I also should add that I used the comb chase method. Normally, when I flat iron my hair,I use a spary on heat protectant and let me tell you, it doesn't even look like I did anything at all...

davisbr88

I dug the jar out from the back of my cabinet and whipped it up really nicely with some grapeseed oil and the Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Milk, used it on the ends of damp hair and it's SOOOOO soft and smooth. I think I've found my lifetime sealant. Perfect because I've always preferred butters over oils for sealing, and Crisco has that lovely buttery, whippy, smoothie-like texture. I'm pretty sure it'll leave my hair moisturized until it's time to cowash again.

NaturallyGraceful

Last week when I straightened my hair, I used Crisco on one side & KeraCare Creme Press on the other and there was literally no difference. Actually, the Keracare was greasier & heavier, but looks-wise, it was the same.

That's probably because the KeraCare ingredients are in this order:
Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil,
castor oil, lanolin, water, dimethicone, polyglyceryl-3 disostearate, phenyl trimethicone, fragrance, sodium borate, imidazolidinyl urea, bht, methoparaben, propylparaben.

Unfortunately it was humid so neither did a great job of keeping my hair from frizzing, but I figure I can use Crisco with a frizz serum & I should be good to go.

empressri

I'm not quite sure, but using it on wet hair sound like a disaster and a half in the making...at least with my hair. With that being said, I used it just before I blowdried, so the ends of my hair were kind of wet, but not soaking wet. I blowdried on low heat and still go great results!!! (surprisingly) Then I used my Hana Elite on 370 (I used that thinking that the highest setting would burn my hair off....trust me, I was scared to use the Crisco...I couldn't bare the thought of hearing my hair crack, snap, and pop). The 370 temp was perfect. I did exactly what empressri did in her tutorial. I used small sections and I did each piece twice. I also should add that I used the comb chase method. Normally, when I flat iron my hair,I use a spary on heat protectant and let me tell you, it doesn't even look like I did anything at all...

justicefighter1913

Funnily enough I heard nothing nor barely got any of the smoke that comes with flat ironing. Was your hair completely dry when you used the hana elite?

@justicefighter1913

Funnily enough I heard nothing nor barely got any of the smoke that comes with flat ironing. Was your hair completely dry when you used the hana elite?

yup my hair was completely dry by the time I used the flat iron. I didn't hear any snapping in popping AT ALL, I was just afraid that I would. That's why I was hesitant to try the Crisco in the first place. I was surpised that I didn't have to add any extra crisco to my hair when I flat ironed. I just added the crisco ( a little bit), blowdried, and then flat ironed.

I tried Crisco a couple of days ago. It definitely allowed my hair to straighten more easily BUT I found it overly heavy and greasy. Kind of made my hair dull.
I also worry about using an oil ( if that's what it is?) to straighten because of cooking my hair.

Last week when I straightened my hair, I used Crisco on one side & KeraCare Creme Press on the other and there was literally no difference. Actually, the Keracare was greasier & heavier, but looks-wise, it was the same.

That's probably because the KeraCare ingredients are in this order:
Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil,
castor oil, lanolin, water, dimethicone, polyglyceryl-3 disostearate, phenyl trimethicone, fragrance, sodium borate, imidazolidinyl urea, bht, methoparaben, propylparaben.

Unfortunately it was humid so neither did a great job of keeping my hair from frizzing, but I figure I can use Crisco with a frizz serum & I should be good to go.

Interesting. And you're better off using the Crisco since it has no parabens (possible carcinogens) apart from the price difference.
I think I'm just going to use the Crisco as an ends moisturizer. Its too heavy for me as pressing agent.

DivineNapps1728

I used crisco to seal my ends after moisturizing && I can honestly say there's nothing like it !! My hair is fine & tends to tangle around itself with shrunken styles like the puff I've been rocking, but somehow this melted away the severe tangles; I'm no longer inadvertently tearing off hair while finger combing. && to top it off, my hair is super soft !!!!

Crisco is a keeper for my hair no doubt !!! Time will tell how well it works on my skin/face...

RUBY

I've just ordered 2 tubs of crisco to try out. If it doesn't work on my hair then I'll use it on my body or to cook.

Ann0804

This stuff is awesome. Thanks for enlightening me on it. On Sunday, I did the best flat ironing I have ever done on my natural hair, and I have not needed to retouch it at all.

ChristmasCarol

Blowdried with Crisco and IC Fantasia. Didn't use any extra when flatironing. It's a keeper!

mstokes2008

I'm getting some crisco today to do my flat iron this weekend! So excited to see those results compared to my previous results from earlier this month.

foxee

Crisco is the truth y'all! I flat ironed my 4B hair over a week ago and the results were better than the professional flat iron job I had a few months ago. It's definitely a keeper for sure.

nlamr2013

Hey guys question I asked my mom to pick up some crisco and instead she came back with the great value brand trying to save a few bucks. Smh Will it work the same or should we go and get the real deal? Here are the ingredients

What do you ladies think?
TIA

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

foxee

Maybe I spoke too soon - I thought generic shortening was the same as the Crisco brand. Isn't tallow used to make soap?

WyrdWay

Maybe I spoke too soon - I thought generic shortening was the same as the Crisco brand. Isn't tallow used to make soap?

Yep and other things, its the beef fat Mcdonalds used to use for their frys in the 90s and earlier.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

nlamr2013

Thank you so much for your replies! Yeah the beef thing was throwing me off as well. I don't eat red meat so it would be weird to use in my hair. so ill just have to wait until the stores open back up to experience the wonderful that is crisco! Thank you guys again,.and happy holidays to you all! :)
Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier