How did u thicken your hair STRANDS???

Krystle~Hime

Hydrolyzed wheat protein is used mostly for moisture, so I don't think your hair would get brittle. Keratin and collagen are used for strength. There are many good threads that explains what each type of protein is good for.
Yes, my hair is relaxed and benefits from extra protein. You should always listen to your hair to see what it needs.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=20494&pagenumber=
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=85360&pagenumber=

Mmh, I know it also helps for restore the moisture balance, but it's also an amino acids complex. So it strengthens the hair too.

LaidBak

Mmh, I know it also helps for restore the moisture balance, but it's also an amino acids complex. So it strengthens the hair too.

Yes, but your concern was specifically about your hair becoming brittle from using it. Its not likely to cause that since its main function is to attract and retain moisture.

JC-Junkie

I read that ladies found success with Omega 3 oils, like flaxseed oil and cod liver oil and fish oil. Have any of you ladies read about this or had success ?

yodie

i dont remember what its called but it is the treatment not the conditioner. i think its called the reconstructor. it comes in a brown or gold tube.

Just started using Joico Kpak Deep Reconstructor. Only been using it at the salon, once every two weeks. Plan on using this for the next couple of months.

HeChangedMyName

can the hair be thickened permenantly and from the inside out? A lot of products give the hair thickness when it is applied, but the thickness either washes out or wears off after time.

I've used Fat Hair products and they do work.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Thanks for the info!!! now i just have to find that henna ( I live in Canada) and see how it works. It gets really frustrating when u know you're doing everything to keep your hair healthy but it keeps breaking anyway because it's too thin..... Do you buy your henna online???

Where in Canada? If you are in Toronto I happened to see Henna in a health store at the mall at Kennedy & Sheppard.

mzsophisticated26

i've read, that "indigo" is not jet black, but dark blue..
I would like to try Henna and keep my color, I luv my hair color, it's a very darked black more dark than #1B and don't want reddish tones, ou blue tones :'( please clear me !!!

that is my dilemma with wanting try henna. I love jet black but I dont want to risk doing the Indigo wrong and coming out with blueish tint hair. I have very thin strand and I would like to thicken them up. I am never too consistent with castor oil but I do stretch and texlax which has helped some but not enough.

gadgetdiva

that is my dilemma with wanting try henna. I love jet black but I dont want to risk doing the Indigo wrong and coming out with blueish tint hair. I have very thin strand and I would like to thicken them up. I am never too consistent with castor oil but I do stretch and texlax which has helped some but not enough.

I've used henna & indigo...I got it from an east asian grocer....I should've waited & ordered the BAQ but my hair is black not blue black.
Here is a my hair after a coupe of washes post henna w/ indigo:

Dominican09

Team Henna :Grin: BUT you have to make sure you deep condition after the treatment and subsequently because it can be drying. I usually mix my henna with honey and green tea from curlynikki henna tutorial.

LuluB

Definitely Hennaing. I also bought CandyC's thickening cream from her website: cherie hair range. Seems to help also.

Moonpie8

Hask Henna & Placenta Super Pack 2 oz.
From Sally's is this a good product to use to get thicker strands if one wanted to try henna?

I am taking Omega 3 Fish Oil and every other wash I am washing with Biotene Natural Shampoo. I am also using a Bioten Conditioner. I feel my hair is thicker. I also freeform my locs so that does help. I also put garlic in alot of my wash out products. As not to lose any hair (cut down on the shedding).

Last edited:

Wildkat08

Great thread OP... definitely subbing! For the ladies using JBCO, how are you using it exactly? I find castor oil to be very think and to weigh the hair down which is definitely something those wanting thicker strands would not want, so how are the ladies seeing results from it using it? Anyone mixing it with henna? Also, are you ladies washing with shampoo after using henna mixed w/ oils or just rinsing really well? If just rinsing, doesnt this leave an oily residue defeating the purpose? Sorry for all the questions ladies, but if I can get some answers this thread my be my hair's saving grace :)

BTW: For all the ladies on this thread that said they were about to try something new (henna, joico, JBCO, B% in high doses, etc) PRETTY PLEASE report back with your results!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Wildkat08, I don't henna, I only use jbco. I apply it to my scalp when air drying and massage it in. It absorbs better than laxative castor (to me) so it doesn't weigh hair down if used in small amounts. Also while air drying, I apply it as my sealer or use it in kimmay's leave-in. It makes my hair super soft. The key is a little goes a long way and rub or massage it in good.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
I have brown hair (for people that use weave my hair color nearly matches perfectly with a #4). To be precise, its really the very front of my hair that is that color and the rest of my tresses get darker. If I am not mistaken, Henna makes the hair jet black right? :( I like my hair color and would actually like to dye my hair a little light so that it CAN be a perfect match to a #4. Is there something else like Henna that I can use that wouldn't make my hair darker?

henna will add a red cast to your hair

Jas123

The Star of a Story
i think jbco & henna are great suggestions... but also try thickening via the internal route as well with supplementations such as msm, biotin, b-complex, amino acids (protein) especially nac cysteine and healthy eating... hth

Artemis

Hi ladies!!!

I'm still on a quest to find a good product that would thicken my hair strands. You see, my problem is that I have alot of hair but each strand is very thin, making it more prone to breakage. I don't know if BKT would be a good idea or maybe coating my hair with natural hair color.... Your advice is much needed here! Thanks!!!

Vitamin B5: 500 mg 2x/day

The only thing is that the hair that grows in will be thicker, not the hair you have now. I agree with protein treatments in the meantime, though.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Agree with the other posters. Joico K-Pak reconstructor thickened my strands. I used it three times a week for two months and saw obvious improvement. Now I use it once or twice a week. I also do the Aphogee two step treatment once a month when I do my relaxers.
JBCO is what I am using to thicken and fill in my hairline. Waiting on results from that, its only been a week, but I was prompted to use it b the success stories of others. I smooth it on twice a day.
Today will be the first day using Joico kpak. Any tips to ensure I get the full effectiveness of using it? How long did it take before you seen improvement and is it easy to protein overload with this product? (I assume no since you used it 3x week).

I read that ladies found success with Omega 3 oils, like flaxseed oil and cod liver oil and fish oil. Have any of you ladies read about this or had success ?
I've taken Omega 369 and fish oil on separate occasions but I don't think it thickened my strands.

For those that uses the JBCO, how long would you say it took you before you notice the thickening?
It took several months. I've gotten really lazy and I haven't been massaging my edges with jbco as frequently because they've grown back in so well. I need to get back on the grind. I don't give jbco 100% credit. I also stopped wrapping my hair at night and I don't use direct heat any more. I think the 3 things (jbco, no wrapping, no heat) together improved my edges.

Check out my reveal in the jbco cycle 2 thread. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...r-castor-oil-2010-edition-cycle-2~*~*-14.html. My reveal is post #264.

HeChangedMyName

Keeping my hair properly moisturized(water water water inside and out) and DCing weekly with ORS replenish pak. limiting heat drastically and minimizing products that I use on my hair. Feels like I have a new head of hair.

*C00KIE*

This question has bothered me over and over again. I created threads in the past and read A LOT of threads on behalf of thickening the hair strand.
What I have came up w/ and what has worked for me is...

1. Ayurveda Regime
2. Haitian Castor Oil
3. B5 supplement (1,500mg-3,000mg daily)
4. B-Complex and Vitamin C (for the absorption of B5)

I have also tried NAC, which is also good; due to it being so expensive I have stop taken it.

ETA. I am also transitioning back to natural, but with these tips I have notice that my previous relaxed hair has gotten rid of the lifeless/limp look (looks strong and healthy) and my new growth is thicker than the relaxed ends. HTH!

Last edited: