anyone going to cosmetology school

Lilmama1011

Lilmama1011

Did you start yet? What have you learned so far?

I'm really excited because my mom supports my decision.

Napp not yet. Orientation is on October 27th and the 28th is the actual start day. I can't wait to go through my stuff and play around. It's crazy because I'm not really nervous about class, just getting my hair done there lol.

Lilmama1011

Lilmama1011

Did you start yet? What have you learned so far?

I'm really excited because my mom supports my decision.

I don't like everyone touching my hair. No one is going to be as gentle as I am to my hair an I don't want to risk someone ripping out unnecessary hair when I'm on a healthy and long hair journey. And i also like doing my hair even though I suck with doing styles but it's not a hassle. I hope they aren't the pressuring type because I don't do well with that Napp

Napp

Ms. Nobody
OMG I am in love!!! the school seems like the perfect place for me! I am going to register tomorrow and the orientation is on the 29th. i start in november though.

Lilmama1011 when will you be finished with the program? will you be going full time or part time? also what kind of flat iron and blowdryer comes in your kit?

Lilmama1011

OMG I am in love!!! the school seems like the perfect place for me! I am going to register tomorrow and the orientation is on the 29th. i start in november though.

Lilmama1011 when will you be finished with the program? will you be going full time or part time? also what kind of flat iron and blowdryer comes in your kit?

Napp I'm going full time for 11 months. I forgot, I get my kit on orientation. I wish I had it. I would be playing with my mannequin heads

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I don't like everyone touching my hair. No one is going to be as gentle as I am to my hair an I don't want to risk someone ripping out unnecessary hair when I'm on a healthy and long hair journey. And i also like doing my hair even though I suck with doing styles but it's not a hassle. I hope they aren't the pressuring type because I don't do well with that Napp

Oh chileeee, I NEVER let anyone touch my hair!! A few asked but I kindly declined. Some would watch me do my hair and learned a few things about healthy hair care and I got a lot of requests from patrons because my hair was so well maintained, but the only thing I let someone do was shampoo me because it hard to self relax in a shampoo bowl.

Lilmama1011

Oh chileeee, I NEVER let anyone touch my hair!! A few asked but I kindly declined. Some would watch me do my hair and learned a few things about healthy hair care and I got a lot of requests from patrons because my hair was so well maintained, but the only thing I let someone do was shampoo me because it hard to self relax in a shampoo bowl.

That's the thing I don't want them to do, is shampoo my hair. I co wash mainly and do shampoo once a month, but I don't know if they are familiar with shampooing. And i dont know how some of the salon brands work for me. Just because it's salon brand doesn't mean it will work for my hair
TopNotch

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
That's the thing I don't want them to do, is shampoo my hair. I co wash mainly and do shampoo once a month, but I don't know if they are familiar with shampooing. And i dont know how some of the salon brands work for me. Just because it's salon brand doesn't mean it will work for my hair
TopNotch

I understand. I used to bring in my products before I finally trusted my teacher's opinion of PM and finally tried it. I didn't like the Awapuhi line but I did like some of their other products. Hopefully, they'll respect you enough not to push you into doing something you don't want to do. I only had that happen one time when they wanted to do a demonstration on me, but again, I politely declined and that was the end of it. Besides, personal styling day is optional.

Lilmama1011

I understand. I used to bring in my products before I finally trusted my teacher's opinion of PM and finally tried it. I didn't like the Awapuhi line but I did like some of their other products. Hopefully, they'll respect you enough not to push you into doing something you don't want to do. I only had that happen one time when they wanted to do a demonstration on me, but again, I politely declined and that was the end of it. Besides, personal styling day is optional.

TopNotch glad to know it's optional. Because that's what my mother and I was talking about "is there like a part of the class when we have to practice on one another and it's mandatory". I'm not interested in cutting or coloring my relaxed hair or relaxing every six weeks. I want healthy, long relaxed hair

Last edited:

felic1

I started my hairbraiding class. I am having a good time. We have learned a lot in a short period. I am not planning to become a professoonal, but this is a load of fun!

1BalancedBeauty

I recently graduated from Cosmetology school but live/attended in Canada (Marca College in Toronto). I found it to be a very enjoyable experience. It took my out of my comfort zone, opened me up to new experiences, and challenged me.

People never pressured me to experiment on my hair. I had a classmate who had previous experience working with natural hair so she gave me some very nice loc styles. I also had a classmate (South Asian) who didn't really have any black friends aside from me but had a natural affinity for hairdressing. I kid you not, she did the best job of colouring my locs I've ever gotten. She instinctively knew things like how my hair should be separated, that the colour should be squeezed in when applied and out when shampoo'd, etc. She asked if I wanted to use conditioner instead of just slapping it on, etc. It was really great.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I took a year in high school, but I had too many elective credits so I am a beauty school drop out. I'm not sure if my hours are transferable :look:

Lilmama1011

That lady that signed me up called today to say I have a great class, I'm super excited. Orientation is Monday and I get my kit! School the next day. I hope I meet a life time friend as well. I haven't been mingling at all in these two years

Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Good luck! I hope all goes well for you in cosmetology school!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I go for orientation on Thursday! I can't wait! I can't believe I'm actually doing this

Lilmama1011

Lilmama1011 what kind of flat iron and blowdryer did you get? What are some things in the kit you werent expecting?

Napp I will get back to you on the brands . I know I have never heard of it. I think its merinn or something like that. But when I get out of class I will give you my list. I have a golden hot Marcel curling iron though. I didn't expect the facial products. I didn't check that case out but my SO did . He through it

Lilmama1011

We are going to wash and condition the mannequin hair and then they said we will do each other. No one is touching my hair. They didn't even mention not throwing the hair everywhere and my hair will tangle and period, no one will touch my hair this 11 months. I don't need to be a guinea pig and lose unnecessary hair. They haven't even went over working with coarse hair

Lilmama1011

Napp one beauty case on wheels, one ethnic mannequin(afro hair), one male mannequin with straight hair and one female mannequin with straight hair, mannequin clamps so the heads will stand up, butter fly clips, duck bill clips, curl clips, marianna soft touch hair dryer, hot tools Marcel iron (I told you goldn hot before lol), Alexis pro marianna ceramic tourmaline nano silver flat iron, clipper combs, rat tail combs, a whole bunch of different combs, three round brushes in small medium and large sizes (sorry, don't know measurements), facial cleanser, toner, facial massage moisturizer, pedicure and manicure bowls, files and 6 piece manicure set, 2 mirrors, clippers, shampoo cape, cutting cape and styling cap. I probably left something out lol

Nazaneen

Theres a Paul Mitchell school in my area and I've toyed with the idea of going but Idk if doing hair is for me, as obsessed as I am with my own :lol:

Lilmama1011

None of the black girls want to get their hair done lol. We did scalp checks today and scalp massages. I did my mannequin. Our hair is too needy. I don't like how they comb or brush the hair. They haven't taught how to properly comb hair. I seriously don't think anyone will be doing my hair. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a hooded dryer wth. I don't want my hair to be blown out....

Last edited:

Lilmama1011

It's kicking my butt. I can't take naps because it messes my sleep up at night, but I keep falling asleep when I'm alone at home smh. We all complain about how tired we are

PureSilver

None of the black girls want to get their hair done lol. We did scalp checks today and scalp massages. I did my mannequin. Our hair is too needy. I don't like how they comb or brush the hair. They haven't taught how to properly comb hair. I seriously don't think anyone will be doing my hair. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a hooded dryer wth. I don't want my hair to be blown out....[/QUOTE]

I would be skeptic too with all that you mentioned.