WIG CHALLENGE 2014

mshoneyfly

divachyk
Hey Girl! :wave:
The Italian Yaki wig is still in the box :look:

I did get my hair hendigo'd to a perfect 1B color on Sunday. You can see in my avatar how light my hair was early in my HHJ. Its an old pic.

I swear Im gonna work on that beautiful wig this Saturday night now that my leave out is ready to go. Im gonna flat iron, take a pic; then experiment with some curls and take another pic. Ive been goin' hard PS living the #wiglife

I LOVE this HHJ!!

NGraceO

I just pulled out Annabelle's Perfect Blends and my hair feels amazing NGraceO. Thanks for the reminder how much sprays rock. I now need to get me a better wig cap and I'll be set. So tell me, what's the art to washing in braids without the hair tangling? My shed hair seems to tangle and coil around the line of demarcation.

Hmmm. I guess my secret might be dry detangling prior to my wash??

On wash day, one plait at a time, I take it down, dry detangle it using an oil, then braid it back up for the wash. That way i detangle when my hair is in its strongest state and get rid of that pesky shed hair, which is my hair's worst tangling nightmare.

When I wash I apply the shampoo with an applicator bottle, hold braids taught, and slid my finger to my roots and massage. My hair stays detangled, even when I'm deep into a stretch.

So many words. Idk if i even answered the question lol

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
NGraceO you did.

NGraceO & EnExitStageLeft, I must admit, my hair feels better in celies. I feel like the moisturizer got deep into the ng in celies, much better than using creamy moisturizer on loose hair. Thanks ladies!

mshoneyfly, I checked that site last night and all the wigs were a few hundred bucks. Is that what you paid?

mshoneyfly

NGraceO you did. NGraceO & EnExitStageLeft, I must admit, my hair feels better in celies. I feel like the moisturizer got deep into the ng in celies, much better than using creamy moisturizer on loose hair. Thanks ladies! mshoneyfly, I checked that site last night and all the wigs were a few hundred bucks. Is that what you paid?

divachyk

Yes I think I paid $174. Thats for the upart. Its much more for the silk top

I LOVE this HHJ!!

divachyk

NGraceO mshoneyfly, thank you. I glimpsed a nice wig on a young lady on social media and oddly enough, it's the Italian Yaki. I was willing to drop the cash but that was before realizing it is human hair. I'm just not ready for that because it freaks me out. I'll stick with synthetic for now.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I've come along way sin r first joining this challenge. Not much growth but I'm a slow grower. I envy those that get 1/2 inch a month. Anyway here's a comparison pic from December last year to now...I'm going to take another pic at end of year I was just admiring my growth up until now.

ForumRunner_20141030_171219.jpg

NGraceO

NGraceO mshoneyfly, thank you. I glimpsed a nice wig on a young lady on social media and oddly enough, it's the Italian Yaki. I was willing to drop the cash but that was before realizing it is human hair. I'm just not ready for that because it freaks me out. I'll stick with synthetic for now.

Girl, you're a good one! There's a I way of drop that kind of money for synthetic.

OAN, I totally feel you on not being there yet. I started out this year with all synthetic pieces as well. It took me a while to trust myself with it, and gauge if I was really with the long term wigging thing.

NGraceO

I've come along way sin r first joining this challenge. Not much growth but I'm a slow grower. I envy those that get 1/2 inch a month. Anyway here's a comparison pic from December last year to now...I'm going to take another pic at end of year I was just admiring my growth up until now.

YASSSSSS!!! AMAZING GROWTH AND RETENTION! I'm a slow grower and highly doubt I've even retained that much! Go girl!

NGraceO

NGraceO EnExitStageLeft, any braid takedown tips to avoid breakage while detangling? I've only had my celies in for about a week so things shouldn't be bad but I'm always down for tips.

Celie take downs are usually pretty smooth for me, and I've been known to keep those bad boys in for two weeks.

My only tip is if they feel dry spritz them with a moisturizer then seal them with olive oil before the takedown.

divachyk

I was planning to wear a silky straight wig today but I chickened. Just looks too fake. I need other synthetic curly wig ideas as a change up from Creta. Anyone have suggestions?

curls4daze

curls4daze, was he joking? Do you like your wig? Comments really make me self conscious.

Nope he was dead serious. Lol. It made me really self conscious. I almost wanted to snatch it off my head!

But I had to adjust to negative comments about going natural so I have to adjust to the comments about the wigs too.

It will all be worth it when I see the results. I think he would be happier if I had a wig made out of Brazilian hair instead of this synthetic one. He will come around.

Day one....I want to take it off. People are walking on eggshells around me at work.

SuchaLady

I need to find a wig that doesnt look like a wig :lol: Thats why I make my own but it takes toooo long. Im gluing my next one; Im over all that dang sewing

divachyk

curls4daze, I understand but stay the course. My coworkers love(d) my wig. They kept complimenting and asking way too many questions about how I was able to get my hair so curly. What helped me, I told them IT'S A WIG after all the compliments and questions became too much. They couldn't tell and didn't know. However, I'm a horrible liar so I just owned up to it not being my hair. There was no judgement from anyone, not even those I thought would judge me most.

eta: My next goal is to wear my straight wig to work. Baby steps.

Rozlewis

Hi divachyk

I plan to wear wigs a lot this winter but I have to get the nerve to wear the wig in public. I am an introvert and I think the comments and stares from people will drive me crazy. I have purchased a few good quality wigs and I thought I would start by integrating them slowly. I already wore one to my daughter's game last weekend and received many compliments from a good friend. She made such a big deal out of it I was going to tell her but I didn't. Next, I plan to wear one to church before wearing one to work. I have to ease myself into this.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

divachyk

Rozlewis, I'm stuggling with at-work confidence on my silky wig that I was gonna wear today. I've never worn it, thus I need to wear it on the weekends to learn how to style it and get my nerves up. That's exactly what I did with the curly one and I had no reservations or jitters when it came time to wear it to work.

Folks were complimenting, sure but I didn't know if they knew it wasn't my hair. Although it shouldn't matter, it did. So, telling people it's a wig helped me cope in a weird way. It halted questions from the other race - check! The like race ppl helped reassure I wasn't looking a hot mess - check.

So, telling a few ppl that you trust to be honest may not be a bad thing just to help you with a confidence boost. It sure helped me.

I asked a few highly opinionated ppl their thoughts and they loved it. So, I know wear it with confidence like no other.

I trust my dh as he likes my wigs but there is something about another woman giving you a thumbs up that outshines a man's opinion when it comes to things like this.

divachyk

I was browsing for wigs at my BSS and thought Creta Girl was my hair. BOOM! They work in the business and didn't even know.

SuchaLady, give Creta Girl a try.

curls4daze, you make it through the day without issue?

NGraceO

SO, I finally washed my hair. I haven't washed since my relaxer....three weeks ago. Sigh.

Anywho, I snapped some pics of how I've been rocking my celie plaits under my wigs for the past couple of weeks, since my cornrow trail/fail. I'm happy with how flat they lay this way.

My plaits are cornrowed and then pinned around my head...cross wrap style.

During the week, I literally don't bother this...mostly out of laziness. I just spritz it daily with my fav. leave in spray. (I prob should take it down to ensure full moisturizer coverage...but I don't have enough effs to give. sigh.)

divachyk

Awesome! curls4daze

I'm wearing Outre Tammy today with no leave out hair. I'm a little self conscious but hey, I'm at work so I better man up. The wig is gorgeous and is nice for the weekends. There is a texture difference between the wig and my hair. The more I look at this wig in comparison to Creta Girl, it just looks wiggy.