Nail Your Regimen Challenge 2014

blackeyes31626

I have most of my regi down except for the wash part. I always end up with so many tangles no matter what. So I guess I am on the hunt for a moisturizing shampoo:perplexed

Destiny9109

Still trying to decide if I should force myself to stick to just one product line. Two of my staples that could never be substituted are Keracare hydrating detangling shampoo and Joico K-pak reconstructor, so I guess there's the answer to that lol.

Destiny9109

I need to make up my mind before the Ulta liter sale ends aaah! I totally forgot about it.

Beautybrands is having theirs too.

Last edited:

faithVA

I've been slacking with this thread.

I'm still on the same regimen: clarify, DC, mudwash, leave-in, gel and twist every 3 to 4 days. My hair seems to be retaining moisture better.

I have my hair in two strand twists so I am going to clip my ends tonight. Hopefully it will help with finger detangling.

snoop

Washed with Giovanni shampoo yesterday instead of mud washing. Finger detangled and put them in ceilies. Was too lazy to take them out this morning so just put them in a pony and went out. I might actually keep them in for one more day before trying to wrestle my hair into a bun.

I don't think that I've been following my regimen (so FAIL on my part), but I'm definitely more mindful of what works and doesn't work and being consistent with the products that I use.

snoop

So I decided to try floral waters. I think I might have to pass since right now I'm sensitive to smells. I also think I mixed my spritz too strong 2 floral water to 1 distilled water (using Camomile and Rose Geranium waters) plus conditioner and a bit of vegetable glycerine. I had no idea what either water smelled like when I bought them. Next time I think I'll just mix a cap full in the spritz and see if that makes a difference.

What I ended up doing was pouring a bit of that mixture into my regular spray bottle, adding more conditioner and then tap water. I don't think that I need to add glycerine to my spritzes so I'll probably skip that step next time, too. My daily moisturizer has glycerine in it and my hair is fine with it summer and winter, but I think it reacts negatively when it's in a spritz. That said, my hair feels alright right now.

I'm also testing out broccoli seed oil. I've been sealing with it since Sunday after my wash. So far so good. The plus side of the camomile/geranium is that it masks the smell of the broccoli seed.

faithVA

Dusted my ends in twist last night. My twist out looks better today. I will cowash tonight and take care of any ends I missed. Hoping this will help with finger detangling tonight.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
My new regi is like faithVA :

3x week
baking soda solution
DC
Mud wash
Leave in
Oil/styler

I'm sulfate free shampooing once a month.

I've done this for about two weeks and my hair feels really good.

Last edited:

snoop

My hair feels really good today, but that could be because of the extra humidity (it stormed last night.)

I can't believe how ignorant I've been about using braids to stretch. When I first started my HHJ I would braid my hair after washing, but switched to twists since I could actually leave that style in for the week. I braided after this week's wash and it makes a huge difference to my hair in terms of stretching. Also, I didn't have much hair to stretch so it wasn't worth my time. Now I can put my hair in a pony with no effort! Even on second day hair! So much better than if I twist out.

D'uh! Sometimes staying TOO focused on what works isn't a good thing.

spellinto

I will definitely swap air drying for blow drying in my regimen. I usually air dry, but I wanted to see if my ends would dry smoother if I blow dried with cool air. My ends looked more uniform (less wiry and split-looking) and my hair felt silkier than usual. It also cut down on overall drying time, which is a plus in my book! Yay! :grin:

Really glad I mastered cross wrapping on thick, weeks-post relaxed hair. I have gotten straighter, softer, and smoother results because of it.

Also tossing my smoothing conditioner to the side for now. I think it works well on its own but causes buildup with other conditioners. My roots felt tangled and greasy using it after my dc. I will just experiment with the neutrogena products I have and decide if I still want a smoothing conditioner from there.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I'm moving at the end of this month and in my third trimester, in addition to working full time and taking care of my toddler. So, I have been horrible about sticking to my regimen, but it's been working. Currently, I wear a ponytail puff almost exclusively and cowash or just wet my hair during the week when my hair feels like it needs it.

When I have the energy, which is never right now, I do my overnight DC, black soap shampoo, and detangle with Herbal Essence conditioner. I hope to squeeze one of these sessions in next weekend. I was sick this weekend.

I was worried my hair would tangle or get super dry in the puff ponytail, but it hasn't. Thanks, Summer, for small favors.

faithVA

I'm moving at the end of this month and in my third trimester, in addition to working full time and taking care of my toddler. So, I have been horrible about sticking to my regimen, but it's been working. Currently, I wear a ponytail puff almost exclusively and cowash or just wet my hair during the week when my hair feels like it needs it.

When I have the energy, which is never right now, I do my overnight DC, black soap shampoo, and detangle with Herbal Essence conditioner. I hope to squeeze one of these sessions in next weekend. I was sick this weekend.

I was worried my hair would tangle or get super dry in the puff ponytail, but it hasn't. Thanks, Summer, for small favors.

Glad your feeling better. Take care of yourself and the little one on the way. I'm sure its exciting.

sissimpson

After about a month of daily cowashing and bunning, my scalp was asking for more! I did a clay mask, but that was not the answer. So, I pre-pooed with coconut oil, then applied my cowash conditioner, then shampoo'd twice, then used my cowash conditioner again. Now I'm back to daily cowashing. I've tried 3 different conditioners in this process: one by Pantene, HE Hello Hydration, and one by Suave. HE wins hands down. My next move will be to concoct one of my own......

Jobwright

I'm late but here I go:
Relaxed
Current Length: SL
Current Products: Shea Moisture Boabab and Yucca Shampoo, VO5 condish, Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose Deep Condish, Vatika Oil, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave in, Aphogee 2 minute
Current Techniques: prepoo overnight with Vatika oil in bun under silk scarf, poo wash, rinse out condish, black and rooibos tea under deep condish under baggy and heat for minimum 30 mins, rinse, TSHIRT dry for 5 mins, leave in, oil, detangle, air dry, style (protein every 6 weeks prior to deep condish)
What in your regimen are trying to nail: stretching for 12+ weeks
What's your starting strategy: be consistent
Anything else you want to share: hoping for longer stronger, healthier, thicker hair

snoop

Co-washed last night and tried something a bit different: Used TJTTT + oil + my moisturizer on wet hair, showered then rinsed it out. Then co-washed with my Giovanni. After I added a generous amount of moisturizer and oil to my hair so that I could detangle and braid to stretch it over night. This morning, before taking out the braids LCO'd (using broccoli seed oil) then put my hair into a high pony. My hair feels so soft! I'm planning on installing medium sized two-strand twists tonight since wearing my hair out last week was not good for my ends.

snoop

I think that broccoli seed oil is my new favorite oil for summer. It's light and it's keeping my hair nice and soft.

alanaturelle

I havent been here for a while just because my regimen was the same. However a few weeks ago, I changed it and only prepooing with a hot oil mix. Before I was alternating between conditioner and oil. So here is the mix that I made:
1 measure of olive oil
1 measure of castor oil
1/2 measure of sweet almond oil
1/4 measure of jojoba oil
Drops of peppermint and tea tree oil

So far it has added softness to my hair. I prepoo overnight twice a week.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using LHCF

faithVA

Instead of washing every 3 days I'm going to wash on Tuesdays and Fridays unless something comes up. That way I can plan better.

alanaturelle

Instead of washing every 3 days I'm going to wash on Tuesdays and Fridays unless something comes up. That way I can plan better.

I wash on either Tuesday night or Wednesday morning and on Saturdays. With that schedule, there is less manipulation.

faithVA

I wash on either Tuesday night or Wednesday morning and on Saturdays. With that schedule, there is less manipulation.

Cool. Yeah I need a break from styling my hair. It still takes me an hour or two to twist my hair.

spellinto

Wow, I read my original starting post in this thread and realized that I don't use any of the products I started with. Has it really been that long, or has my regimen changed that quickly?

Last edited:

snoop

I did a mud wash today using French Pink Clay. This is the first time using this clay. I think I mixed it a bit thinner than I usually do, but it seemed to wash out quite easily. My hair didn't necessarily feel soft after, but it did feel clean. I also did a pre-poo/DC with mayo this week for the first time in a long time.

I tried something new last week that I experimented with again this week. I washed (last week co-wash, this week mud wash), then I rinsed with a combination of conditioner, my leave-in, and some oil. I think that this is a game changer for me and I'm interested in knowing how my hair will feel in the winter doing this. (Heh...not wishing for snow or cold!)

The other thing that I think has made a difference is the broccoli seed oil. By Friday, my hair was really soft using LCO. I'm hoping that by this Friday it will be the same, then I know that I've found a winning routine, at least for summer.

I also tried it on the boys hair as their hair was extremely dry. I'm hoping that by the end of the week that their hair will be just as moisturized as mine.

I think that if my hair stays this soft, that I'll have to do a stronger protein DC sometime soon.

sissimpson

Been shirking on my regimen for the past week, enjoying my new growth. I am APL in the front and approaching BSL in the back. Did a few quick twists Friday night and had a nice twistout for Sunday. Did 2 loose braids overnight, then 2nd day twistout Mon. When I get home from work tomorrow, I'll prepoo with some oil that I infused with rose petals, and then back on my daily cowash and bun grind! I hope to find time to formulate a diy conditioner soon.

Bun Mistress

I have been talking about my change in regimine in other trends so I figure I would write it down in hisotry. LOL.

Late last year I got a book called Inner peace outer beauty as I have have some of ther best hair care (and skin care) advice. This book is full of traditional japanese hair, skin, and nails advice.

From this and other info I have collected I have changed my hair care regeimine with excellent results. I will warn you this is completely different from other no poo regimine out there and your hair will love it but you will have to get used to ther results. Meaning, your hair will be light and fluffy and conditioned with this regimine but don't be heavy handied with products or your hair will be oily. I say that becasue you may thin this won't work for my hair and do crazy with a treatment and get oily hair (if that happens just do a water rinse and repeat ther condtioning treatment).

My new "shampoo"

I started and still use the rice bran shampoo. Don't think of just shampooing nad forget ther suds. Think of their as a head massage treatment. Look up Japanese head massage online (there are plenty of sites) or get a tsuge brush and do a head massage (chirdoriya or wawaza have "brushes" and online instuctions.

You can buy rive bran and use ther strained water or much easier and useful is to use the run off water for rice washing prior to cooking rice.

The second and my now favorite is seaweed. Wakeme is ther easiest to find, my favorite is funori. You should soak the seaweed in water and massage through ther water scalp. Funori is great for "unruly or curly hair". I finally got my hands on some, the results were breath taking.

Conditioning treatment.
The first and one that can be used as an inexpensive daily misting is soybean tea. eas to make, a tablespoon of soybeans and 2 cups of water is all you need. simmer until reduced by half. you can use this as a final rinse I like to repeated rinse my hair with this. You may want to make a double quanitity and save some for spritzing later. thsi is a great softner and moisterizer of hair. (Soybean is rich in b vitamins and minerals great for dry hair soy bean oil can increasethe benefits with a head massage.)

Licorice root tea
If you have curly hair get in on ther bus. I will not lie this is not the easiest powder to find you need 2oz of licorice tea powder, and 2.5 cups of water (I recommend placing this in a cloth bag or straining the mixture with gauze.). Simmer for 30 minutes, then cool and filter. use this as a final rinse.

Pre-poos the Japanese Pre-poo'd!!! I acutla was told about oil pre-poo from a Japanese woman years ago. My favorite is sesame oil apply and massage on scalp and hair then wrap your head in a towel and sit for a minium of 30min, hair should be damped with warm water prior to massage.

Cameelia oil is a another oil treatment, use on dry hair 30 in to 3 hours.

Dandruff treatment
After a sew in this is m go to.
Juice from 1 small lemon
1 tablespoon of honey
2 tablespoon or sake
mix them together and apply to hair scalp prior to treatment. wait for 5 to 20 min. then "shampoo"

Black sugar syrup
1 tablespoon of unrefined sugar or molasses
dissolve in water
for damaged water, can be a pre poo of my pre fer deep con rinse the treatment through out hair and wrap hair in a towel for 20 minutes rinse and then continue with hair care treatment.

The treatment listed as above I have inter mixed with AO conditioners (I will admit you don't need to condition much) are my new regimen for ther\ last year.

I will say my hair doesn't miss shampoo, it curls better than ever. I must admit with shampoo I was a 4B, with this treatment I am a cottony 3b with some 3C.

After washing my water, I apply the AO Egyptian henna clean rinse, some KC knot today, and a small amount of KC gel and will either air dry or if its late braid. this will stay for 2 to 3 days without rebriading if you like.

girlonfire

I have been talking about my change in regimine in other trends so I figure I would write it down in hisotry. LOL.

Late last year I got a book called Inner peace outer beauty as I have have some of ther best hair care (and skin care) advice. This book is full of traditional japanese hair, skin, and nails advice.

From this and other info I have collected I have changed my hair care regeimine with excellent results. I will warn you this is completely different from other no poo regimine out there and your hair will love it but you will have to get used to ther results. Meaning, your hair will be light and fluffy and conditioned with this regimine but don't be heavy handied with products or your hair will be oily. I say that becasue you may thin this won't work for my hair and do crazy with a treatment and get oily hair (if that happens just do a water rinse and repeat ther condtioning treatment).

My new "shampoo"

I started and still use the rice bran shampoo. Don't think of just shampooing nad forget ther suds. Think of their as a head massage treatment. Look up Japanese head massage online (there are plenty of sites) or get a tsuge brush and do a head massage (chirdoriya or wawaza have "brushes" and online instuctions.

You can buy rive bran and use ther strained water or much easier and useful is to use the run off water for rice washing prior to cooking rice.

The second and my now favorite is seaweed. Wakeme is ther easiest to find, my favorite is funori. You should soak the seaweed in water and massage through ther water scalp. Funori is great for "unruly or curly hair". I finally got my hands on some, the results were breath taking.

Conditioning treatment.
The first and one that can be used as an inexpensive daily misting is soybean tea. eas to make, a tablespoon of soybeans and 2 cups of water is all you need. simmer until reduced by half. you can use this as a final rinse I like to repeated rinse my hair with this. You may want to make a double quanitity and save some for spritzing later. thsi is a great softner and moisterizer of hair. (Soybean is rich in b vitamins and minerals great for dry hair soy bean oil can increasethe benefits with a head massage.)

Licorice root tea
If you have curly hair get in on ther bus. I will not lie this is not the easiest powder to find you need 2oz of licorice tea powder, and 2.5 cups of water (I recommend placing this in a cloth bag or straining the mixture with gauze.). Simmer for 30 minutes, then cool and filter. use this as a final rinse.

Pre-poos the Japanese Pre-poo'd!!! I acutla was told about oil pre-poo from a Japanese woman years ago. My favorite is sesame oil apply and massage on scalp and hair then wrap your head in a towel and sit for a minium of 30min, hair should be damped with warm water prior to massage.

Cameelia oil is a another oil treatment, use on dry hair 30 in to 3 hours.

Dandruff treatment
After a sew in this is m go to.
Juice from 1 small lemon
1 tablespoon of honey
2 tablespoon or sake
mix them together and apply to hair scalp prior to treatment. wait for 5 to 20 min. then "shampoo"

Black sugar syrup
1 tablespoon of unrefined sugar or molasses
dissolve in water
for damaged water, can be a pre poo of my pre fer deep con rinse the treatment through out hair and wrap hair in a towel for 20 minutes rinse and then continue with hair care treatment.

The treatment listed as above I have inter mixed with AO conditioners (I will admit you don't need to condition much) are my new regimen for ther\ last year.

I will say my hair doesn't miss shampoo, it curls better than ever. I must admit with shampoo I was a 4B, with this treatment I am a cottony 3b with some 3C.

After washing my water, I apply the AO Egyptian henna clean rinse, some KC knot today, and a small amount of KC gel and will either air dry or if its late braid. this will stay for 2 to 3 days without rebriading if you like.

Wait wait wait...do you put the seaweed WATER on your hair and scalp or the actual see weed. Do you do all this stuff EVERY wash day?

snoop

I watched a youtube video last week where the lady put her hair in two strand twists...well actually, she braided first then twisted the remaining hair. It looked good, especially since she was using a comb to part. I decided to try that last night but couldn't part my hair with a comb. It kept knoting up. :nono:
I got about 3/4 done. I'm wearing my hair in a bun today and plan on finishing tomorrow. I'm hoping that I can keep these in for at least a month since they're small. I'll probably redo sections after each wash just to make sure that it's not matting and also to make sure that they don't look too ragged.