New Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Review

overtherainbow

I did a search and couldn't find a thread on this besides the JBCO line. This week I gave the new Manuka line a go and purchased the conditioner, the hair masque, and the body butter. I couldn't get a hold of the shampoo. Overall, I give the products that I tried a solid "Okay" overall.

The hair mask impressed me the most. Even without the heavy cones, I was able to fully detangle my hair in the shower. The slip was above average for a natural hair masque and its performance exceeded the previous SM deep conditioners. I did not use it as a DC and the product was only in my hair for 5 minutes as I detangled in the shower and I was still able to reap the benefits of a DC. When I got out of the shower, my coils popped, were shiny and had great elactisicty. I even forgot to use a leave in that day and my hair was still hydrated days later. On day four, my hair was still pillow soft. The downside to this conditioner is the price. I think I paid $13 after tax for a 12oz bottle as opposed to the usual $10. Heres a pic of the ingredients below:

The rinse out conditioner did not impress me as much. Though it left my hair soft, moisturized, elastic, and strong, it did not have enough slip to detangle my hair. And the packaging is tragic because the pump is small and breaks easily. I had to use 1/3 of the bottle for one wash, so if you have longer hair than me, dont even bother. I love the ingredients and the way my hair felt afterwards, but its not worth the struggle in the shower or the price. Heres a pic of the ingredients:

Lastly, the body butter was my least favorite, which is shocking because I love the nubian heritage butters. I use the butter on my hair and skin and found that it didnt spread or melt well at all. This made it a horrible sealant because it applied patchy. I was able to turn it into a 5 star product by incorporating 2 teaspoons of EVCO with a hand mixer. Now it works wonderfully on hair and skin.

I think the only thing I would repurchase and recommend is the hair mask. I can't wait until I have the time to use it as a DC.
*please excuse typos, my phone is grammatically challenged. Pics are coming soon.

EDIT: There's a glitch and the pics aren't uploading, will try again tomorrow

Last edited:

Daernyris

Thanks for the review.

I purchased all the products in this line except for the shampoo. I dipped my finger in the butter and it spread across my skin with ease. I guess this shows how a product can work differently from individual to individual.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Thanks for the review.

I bought the conditioner and masque, but have only used the conditioner as of this post. I used the conditioner as a detangler and smoother for my daily wash n go. It moisturized my hair and I was able to detangle well enough, but then again I have very fine, thin hair.

Now, what I didn't like was the scent. And I like scents, but this was heavy and lingered too long - maybe if I liked the smell it would have been a hit.

I'll try the masque tomorrow maybe as a DC... I hope the scent is lighter...:ohwell:

overtherainbow

Hmm...maybe I got a bad batch of the butter because it was pretty hard and wouldnt melt easily onto my skin. It smells fine though.

As for the scent, I didnt find it offensive, but I also cannot smell much of anything thanks to allergy season. I don't think its anywhere near as bad as the Coconut Hibiscus line. Now that gives me a headache.

Daernyris

@overtherainbow
my butter was solid and looked hard also, but when I stuck my fanga up in dat stuff and swiped myself. Chile, it went on so smooth I almost started dancing. LOL!!!:lol:

ETA: I went to the stash to double check behind myself, I wanted to make sure I wasn't spreading fallacies up and down LHCF's e-streets:lachen:. It still went on smooth and soft.

Last edited:

Dilettante

Just throwing my two cents in: I purchased the shampoo, conditioner, and deep conditioner and have used them all two to three times.

I actually love the shampoo most of all - I wouldn't say it moisturizes exactly, but it definitely didn't strip my hair and left my scalp very clean. My hair didn't tangle with this product and I didn't feel like my cuticles were roughed up. It's probably not strong enough to get rid of mineral oil, but it cleaned my hair of heavy butters without leaving it stripped. I would say it's much more gentle than the Moisture Retention shampoo, but it still cleans well.

I agree with overtherainbow 100% about the conditioner. It was nice, but there are nicer products with better slip that will last you for longer. I've experimented with it as a leave-in and again it's just nice. Not spectacular.

Finally, I really like the masque and think it's pretty affordable considering the quality. It has nice slip and moisturized my hair really well. I DCed with it for about an hour with no heat.

I'll definitely repurchase the shampoo. I'll repurchase the masque too, but I'll be keeping my eye out for something even better as it's not quite HG status (and the shampoo probably is, just need to use it a bit more to be sure). I wont get the conditioner again unless I'm just craving some hair perfume - I love the way this line smells!

NaturallyATLPCH

I have purchased the shampoo and DC. I haven't used them yet but I am glad to see the positive reviews for the mask. I've seen positive reviews on YouTube about the shampoo so I'm excited about that as well.

I actually like the smell of this line. This and the Coconut and Hibiscus line smell the best to me. The Superfruit is a close second, although I wished it smelled fruity.

overtherainbow

^It sounds like they're having consistency issues with the body butter. I guess that's to be expected with natural products.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
I haven't tried the hair products yet but I grabbed the hand cream. Man the scent of that cream! :lick:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I like the shampoo so far. Maybe I'll pick up the masque. Anyone just try the conditioner? For the yellow line, the masque was horrible but the conditioner was actually good.

mrsroberson86

I like the shampoo so far. Maybe I'll pick up the masque. Anyone just try the conditioner? For the yellow line, the masque was horrible but the conditioner was actually good.

I've tried the whole line except the hair serum for this line. I'm not one who cares for slip in my conditioners, dc's, and shampoos. The conditioner didn't have much slip but it's very moisturizing. I don't think it's a must have. The hair masque is really good. It worked like magic on my 12 week post 4 c hair.

KinkyGenius

Used the Manuka Honey Masque again. Man, this DC is everything. Leaves my hair so soft and moisturized.

I'm kinda regretting only picking up the shampoo from Target last night. I just got the new Obia DC and the new HairVeda DC, thought I'd put the brakes on anymore DC purchases.....may have to venture back to Target though :look:

mshoneyfly

I have the masque, serum, poo and conditioner :look: Will use for the first time on Saturday after this weave is out. Im excited to do my hair again. Thanks for the detailed review. I cant wait to DC again.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Beamodel

I'm kinda regretting only picking up the shampoo from Target last night. I just got the new Obia DC and the new HairVeda DC, thought I'd put the brakes on anymore DC purchases.....may have to venture back to Target though :look:

You should definitely go back and get the Manuka Honey Masque. I'm currently DC'ing right now with it.

This stuff leaves my hair so soft and smells so good.

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I bought the mask. After reading the ingredients, it differs from the other masques because it has ingredients that make me believe it is broken down more to penetrate. The other masques usually just look like they are body butters

AgeinATL

I bought the mask. After reading the ingredients, it differs from the other masques because it has ingredients that make me believe it is broken down more to penetrate. The other masques usually just look like they are body butters

When you try it, please let me know what you think.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I grabbed the masque only and I'm very impressed, I'm 3 days post cowash and my NG is still holding strong as is my strands!! Going back to get another one for a standby.

Last edited:

overtherainbow

So I wanted to give the rinse out another shot so I mixed 40% manuka honey conditioner with 60% Aussie 3 Minute Strong. The Aussie gave me the slip that I needed and the SM gave me all the moisture in world. I was able to detangle and the pH didnt seem to be thrown off. This is my new favorite conditioner combo!

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Thanks for the review.

I bought the conditioner and masque, but have only used the conditioner as of this post. I used the conditioner as a detangler and smoother for my daily wash n go. It moisturized my hair and I was able to detangle well enough, but then again I have very fine, thin hair.

Now, what I didn't like was the scent. And I like scents, but this was heavy and lingered too long - maybe if I liked the smell it would have been a hit.

I'll try the masque tomorrow maybe as a DC... I hope the scent is lighter...:ohwell:

I did try the masque after I did a henna and color with indigo. It was the bomb.com. I don't know why the conditioner scent is less appealing than the masque. Oh well...:ohwell:

reeko43

I only purchased the masque. I have used it twice, including after henna. Love it! I already had a conditioner that I love but I am really tired of ordering online. This masque is just as good as my fave.

Kindheart

It's intersting you said that because thats how the Shea Butter mask feels to me ,like a lotion meant to be absorbed by the skin rather than by hair.
I want to try this Manuka Mask and see if its any good .