Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

JudithO

Washed my hair today with a the terresentials mud wash. I washed my twists in braided sections, massaged the mud into my scape and just rinsed off... Didn't bother with washing my hair.. just rinsed. I applied a butter to my hair after and I'm currently drying it in a scarf to reduce frizzies... I'll see how it dries.. I may redo my edges, or the entire head.. after.. Will keep y'all posted.

faithVA

For right now I have to accept that I will need to do my twists weekly. My twists begin to unravel at the roots on the 3rd day. The only thing I can think of which I am not ready to try is twisting them on wet hair with no product and then not apply product during the week and not stretching them at all :sad:

So far I have found that apply unravels them, oils and butters unravels them, pulling them back into a bun or putting them into a braid unravels them. They are so picky... they just don't like to be touched :lol:

I am debating between medium size 2 strand twists or flat 2 strand twists for Sunday.

Kenny-Ann

Is it to late for me to join? I will be twisting my hair this weekend and plan to stay in twists for the rest of the year. I can submit starting pics then.

faithVA

Hair today, twisted for 5 days & already frizzy : (

I feel your pain but they still look nice. Sometimes I make it 3 days. If they are really really small I may make it 5 days. This time around they were frizzy when I finished them :ohwell: For me it has to be a combination of the products I am using and whether my hair is wet or dry but I will have to do some experimenting.

FroFab

For right now I have to accept that I will need to do my twists weekly. My twists begin to unravel at the roots on the 3rd day. The only thing I can think of which I am not ready to try is twisting them on wet hair with no product and then not apply product during the week and not stretching them at all :sad:

So far I have found that apply unravels them, oils and butters unravels them, pulling them back into a bun or putting them into a braid unravels them. They are so picky... they just don't like to be touched :lol:

I am debating between medium size 2 strand twists or flat 2 strand twists for Sunday.

Have you tried starting with a braid then go into a twist. Just something short maybe only 2-3 revolutions then split one of the braid tails and do a two strand twist. It would help make them more secure at the root, but it would also take a little longer to do.

ezina

I'm currently in braids and wont take them out till November so I guess I can't join.

However, I do have a question: I'm relaxed and just started transitioning (roughly 3 months post). Does anyone have pics of twists in relaxed hair? I don't know if they'll hold or look half as decent as twists in natural hair.

FroFab

If I can figure this out I am attaching some photos of my current twist. Now bare with me since I rarely ever post pics and am not that great at taking them either.

The first is my basic night bun which is secured by one of those nylon bands only once around (so extremely loose) and with ends tucked. The second is with my band taken out and the shrunken hang of my twists.

The other two are one creative style that I have tried which is a french roll from forehead to nape that I was inspired from this bglh post http://bglhonline.com/2011/08/6-ways-to-make-an-updo-more-interesting/5/ (excuse my baby's head in the photo cause she wouldn't let me put her down)

EDIT: the system wouldn't let me upload so that one will come later.

Attachments

• bun.jpg
    bun.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 127
  • twistshrink.jpg
    twistshrink.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 119
  • roll.jpg
    roll.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 131

youwillrise

ha. i shampooed my twist, dc'ed them....first letting kenra mc soak in and then adding apricot oil to the length and castor to the ends...put cap back on (still on now) and left it overnight. will rinse later. today is day 15 w/ these twists. theyve had it...but im not ready for them to come out, so...takedown & redo culd be next weekend.

NaijaNaps

Just washed my twists after letting some condish soak on them overnight. Put in a leave in and did cornrow twists on them so they can dry. :grin:

Happy twisting!

Sianna

Two days and some of my twists are already starting to unravel. :angry2:

I kinda want to take them down and do something else with it, but I'm going to fight the urge! I'll just re-twist as needed. :ohwell:

lolascurls

I'm in!

First, stats:
My hair is currently one inch above hip length in the back.

Start by Telling Us
  1. Your go to twist style: two-strand twists and flat twists
  2. Your twist care regimen: I tend to wear the twists for 1-2 weeks. I co-wash after 1 week. I use flaxseed gel and a leave-in when installing them. Daily, I spritz with my water, honey and aloe vera gel mix and seal with oils.
  3. What you hope to achieve by December: Hip length hair.
  4. Anything else you would like to share: My twists hang at APL to BSB! I've been wearing twists for most of the year. Initially, I was wearing twists with extensions then I moved to two-strand twists. I did the African threaded hair styles for a month. Now I have been wearing chunky twists for 2 weeks. Yesterday, I converted most of them to medium-sized twists.

Seamonster

Hi, I am doing a seek and destroy to remove some of the SSK and then putting my hair in a twisted bun. Hope to end this challenge with thicker, healthier, longer knot free hair, and a healthy scalp

OndoGirl

If I can figure this out I am attaching some photos of my current twist. Now bare with me since I rarely ever post pics and am not that great at taking them either.

The first is my basic night bun which is secured by one of those nylon bands only once around (so extremely loose) and with ends tucked. The second is with my band taken out and the shrunken hang of my twists.

The other two are one creative style that I have tried which is a french roll from forehead to nape that I was inspired from this bglh post http://bglhonline.com/2011/08/6-ways-to-make-an-updo-more-interesting/5/ (excuse my baby's head in the photo cause she wouldn't let me put her down)

nice!!!:yep::yep:

PaigeJessica

OK Here's pics of the set of twists I put in yesterday. I still have a million layers, I'm hoping they grow out some by the end of the challenge. The hair at my crown is soft and a looser texture than the rest of my head so those twists never look as good...I may redo them to be smaller if I'm not too lazy.

See what I'm dealing with as far as these layers go? :nono: Grow hair, grow.

Last edited:

silenttullip

I'd love to join this challenge but i get ssks when I do twists so I've been doing plaits instead can I still join? I really need the motivation to keep doing them and not messing with my hair.

skraprchik

Count me in! I'd love to join this challenge. I challenged myself to wear protective styles for a year, and this falls nicely in line with that. I just put mini-twists in last night and this will give me the motivation to keep it up until the end of the year.

Your go to twist style Two-strand and/or flat twists styled in various ways.

Your twist care regimen I don't really have one yet. I do put them in the same way. Shampoo, Deep Condition, air dry after moisturizing with a leave-in and then light blow-out, followed by installing twists using a butter or buttercreme. I need to figure out the best way to keep them well moisturized but with minimal frizz, because my ends are not happy otherwise.

What you hope to achieve by December I'd like to be able to leave my twists in for at least 2 weeks, so I have to figure out some styling options. I'd also like to retain 2 inches in that time.

Anything else you would like to share. Nope.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am going to try to do 2 strand twists again as well. I mainly do flat twists, but they look like my avatar. When I try doing 2 strand twists on clean hair, it just doesn't work. I have to stretch it with a different style first or they look stupid. Maybe I am just not good at styling my hair. I don't plan on giving up, though.:nono: I will just flat twist and then turn them into 2 strands after the hair is stretched enough.:look:

Kenny-Ann

Okay, I'm back with pics and the rest.

Your go to twist style: two-strand twists and hopefully I will be able to master flat twists. They will be up, down and all around.

Your twist care regimen: starting next week I will clarify, d/c and re-twist every two weeks (rinse inbetween). Apply coconut oil to my ends every other day. Spritz daily with water and a light rub with coconut oil (my hair loves coconut oil). I will be trying different a couple different twist products along the way to see what works best for twisting my hair.

What you hope to achieve by December: I would like to retain my 2 inches, reduce ssks and mend some of the breakage on my right front edge.

Anything else you would like to share: I will be doing henna inbetween

Starting twists...I hope the pictures aren't too big

Attachments

• IMG_20110910_153828.jpg
    IMG_20110910_153828.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20110910_154944.jpg
    IMG_20110910_154944.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 107

Loves Harmony

I would love to join the Challenge. I twist my hair yesterday and i will post pics later on tonight. I will wear my hair in twist during the week then twist out on the weekend. This will be great since school started back and i go Monday thru Thursday.

Your go to twist style: two strand twist
Your twist care regimen:
I will wash once a week
Dc with Biolo Balm mixed with honey & oil
Moisturize with BRBC
Seal with African Pride oil

What you hope to achieve by December:
Healthy hair
Retention
Keep my ends moist
Stop cutting my hair
Lay off the color til December, January
Anything else you would like to share.
Nothing that i can think of at the moment...

Attachments

• august232011.jpg
    august232011.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 319392_277317248946953_187102541301758_1188266_167426776_n.jpg
    319392_277317248946953_187102541301758_1188266_167426776_n.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 253811_228632557152036_100000158790171_1084089_2657675_n.jpg
    253811_228632557152036_100000158790171_1084089_2657675_n.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 59

OndoGirl

Checking in...

I am sporting a twa so my twists are not exciting at all (so you probably won't see many pictures from me). Nevertheless, even with 4 inches of hair, I am cool with how my hair looks.:grin:

This weekend, I freshened up my twists and used a homemade glycerin/conditioner/water/grapeseed oil leave-in spray, but did not wash/condition out of laziness. Maybe I will this evening to keep the eczema at bay.

Sianna

LoveTheSkinImIn I have a couple of pics of SL hair in twists.

This is a set of mini twists I wore a little while back. My hair was just barely SL when I did these. It still has all it's natural layers, so the bottom doesn't look as full as I'd like. But overall I think they look passably decent.

The twists were done on dry hair.

HTH!

faithVA

[USER=100553 said:
FroFab[/USER];14199271]Have you tried starting with a braid then go into a twist. Just something short maybe only 2-3 revolutions then split one of the braid tails and do a two strand twist. It would help make them more secure at the root, but it would also take a little longer to do.

No I haven't tried this yet. I like to wear my hair in a twists out on the weekends and having to undo the braid part woud be torturous. My hair is so fine trying to get the small braids out can be overwhelming. But when my hair gets a little longer I plan on trying it because I should be able to get by with larger twists. I hope :lol:

faithVA

Nice twists. I like them very much.

faithVA

I'm currently in braids and wont take them out till November so I guess I can't join.

However, I do have a question: I'm relaxed and just started transitioning (roughly 3 months post). Does anyone have pics of twists in relaxed hair? I don't know if they'll hold or look half as decent as twists in natural hair.

I don't have any pictures but perhaps someone can point you to some. To get them to hold I know some people use small rods to curl the ends to help them stay. They can still look good on relaxed hair. It may just take some playing around with.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Okay, I'm back with pics and the rest.

Your go to twist style: two-strand twists and hopefully I will be able to master flat twists. They will be up, down and all around.

Your twist care regimen: starting next week I will clarify, d/c and re-twist every two weeks (rinse inbetween). Apply coconut oil to my ends every other day. Spritz daily with water and a light rub with coconut oil (my hair loves coconut oil). I will be trying different a couple different twist products along the way to see what works best for twisting my hair.

What you hope to achieve by December: I would like to retain my 2 inches, reduce ssks and mend some of the breakage on my right front edge.

Anything else you would like to share: I will be doing henna inbetween

Starting twists...I hope the pictures aren't too big

Your twists are very pretty!