How do you feel about white women being a part of the natural hair community?

Cherokee-n-Black

I'm glad the fb comments were posted, because her "response" sounded like a joke. "I've been natural my whole life." Really, white woman? Because, that's just soooo unusual! Come on. I love how she is "embracing her privilege" all over a board that is geared towards african americans. Is there a point to any of this? Ah, but yes, now we see. Because it was "fun" to stir up controversy about a painful legacy of denigration and humiliation perpetrated by the owners of her privilege who browbeat an entire culture into the very self-hate that we are only just now beginning to let go. Nice.

brebre928

@Lucie

For your consideration...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Am I wrong in thinking that we could help each other? Why does our community feel like we are the only ones with naturally curly hair? Why does it always have to be exclusively for black/ Latino only? I know some white women with 4ab hair, too. Like it or not, they are natural, just like us. :rolleyes::nono:

Healthb4Length

Am I wrong in thinking that we could help each other? Why does our community feel like we are the only ones with naturally curly hair? Why does it always have to be exclusively for black/ Latino only? I know some white women with 4ab hair, too. Like it or not, they are natural, just like us. :rolleyes::nono:

DDTexlaxed, there is no problem with each side learning from each other. It's a well known fact that curly hair is not exclusive to Blacks, yet our experience differ greatly. Due to the racial construct of this country and those in the Carribean and S. America Black peoples have yet to be on the same playing field as Whites. Throughout our collective history we've been humiliated and denigrated about our humanity, our feminity and yes our hair. It's more than just hair for Black people. Our represent a unique symbol of power and creativity that the larger establishment have loath, feared or been fascinated by. Blacks having a self autonomous hair movement shouldn't be judged nor should they be considered racists! It's that mentality why Blacks don't have a say so in the haircare industry and it's controlled by Koreans capitalizing off our culture. So no whites cannot and should not claim any part of #Team Natural! They can watch from the sidelines but to claim a part of it is a no go. We are not post racial just yet, if they were fair and inclusive then we wouldn't have had to start a movement or hair boards dedicated to the care of Black Hair.

angelhairtype4

I don't think this woman was trying to help. She said she just wanted controversy.
She knows she doesn't experience problems some black woman with natural hair go through, she doesn't care. She just wanted to stick her nose in and say, "well here is my hair. I wanted it straight for a while, but now I'm comfy with having it curly." Personally I think she was also trying to show off her lack of kink.
She asked curlynikki if she could be featured. Nikki or whoever should have judged better because this lady is clearly basic. She reminds me of s**t white girls say to black women.
So I think it's fair that we can be cautious of who we invite into our spaces.

I don't understand why black people as a race seem to have to include everybody, when majority of black people have to fight to be included in everything.
As a race we should worry about ourselves before we start worrying about everyone else.

Adding: Personally I believe we are all the same race, human, but we are in America. White people around think all black people are the same. I know we are all different, but that's just the way it is. Majority of every culture in America works to up build their own. Yet, we can't stop fighting each other long enough or backing everyone else to get our stuff together. When got something good going were supposed to feel bad because it's our own? Go tell that to Hispanics, Jew's, Indians, or Asians who have their own cultural traditions, clubs, subdivisions... White people are already in everything. Like a spoiled child they need to learn about boundaries.
They got clubs where black people still can't get in...I've typed to much. Stuff like this frustrates me about our race we put everybody else and their problems or ideas before us so we can never solve our own issues we stay stay divided.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I didn't read the whole posts where the person was basically trying to make a controversy, but honestly, I thought natural community embraced all. Guess I was wrong. :ohwell:

SimJam

Hello Sistas, this is my first post in the hair section! :wave:

In short, white women don't have to live with the legacy that Slavery and Colonialism have left to Negroes. To me, the natural hair movement isn't just about hair, it's also about taking steps to undo the damage that slavery and colonialism have done to black women (and where hair is concerned, men to a lesser degree) ALL over the world. We've been taught for generations to hate all our physical attributes, from our skin colour, to our hair texture, to our bodies, even our eye colour!

^^^^THIS^^^^

It is soooo much more than just hair.

And the reason my this WW felt it was OK to just trivialize it (oh po me ..I had to wear my triangle hair in a bun all the time) is EXACTLY because she has not lived the mental oppression levelled at black people (and I say people because lets not forget that men be all up in the good hair and light skinnedness too) associated with natural black people hair and features

to quote the blessedandfavoured please, take a stadium of seats ... and this applies to black ppl who choose not to grasp this and continuing to poison our young girls and boys with their self hate.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I have no problems with WW being featured or sharing information with them or getting information from them.

I don't care if they participate or want to "hang" with us. We are all women and women share beauty secrets. So let's share.

My one and ONLY problem is the claim that Caucasian and African American women share the same struggle. That we share with Caucasian women the same root causes of the "come up" of the natural hair movement for women of color who are the descendants of slaves in the United States.

No. Just NO. Do not claim your ability to now embrace your curls is the same as mine. It IS NOT!

Too many women in the thread and others have elaborated on this point for me to attempt to just repeat the same points over and over again. So I won't.

So come on in and share. But don't belittle what I've been through by calling it the "same".

When I read that she has been natural all her life....I stopped reading. My first gut reaction was "so....ummmm....what's the big deal? Why are you here then? What's the transition for YOU? It's just your hair. Always has been." Girl bye.

I know WW who are embracing their curls, natural hair color, Etc for the first time in their lives. And many of the ones I know personally express that I inspired them to do so. Exact words of one woman in her 60's who describes her hair as "horrible frizzy black girl curls". She said to me "I figured if YOU can embrace your curls after all YOUR people have been through surrounding hair, then what's MY problem. I got it easy compared to YOU".

She meant that in the most respectful non racist way she could muster up to express. (Yes. I checked her for the horrible hair comment. ). But that just goes to show, traditionally in the country the worst kind of hair you could have is hair like a Black girl?! Wth!

But despite the sadness I found in what she said to me, I think she said it best as representing how lots of WW should feel about us. She is trying to acknowledge my struggle. I respectfully acknowledge hers. BUT the struggle is different. Period. End of story.

Self acceptance is easier when the only person condemning you is YOU.

Self acceptance comes harder when you come through generations of a nation of haters who had the power to oppress you and enslave you. Tell you that you and your hair and your skin and everything about you is not only inferior but horribly ugly and sets the standard for ugly.

Yeah....sorry, Becky. It's not the same. And the minute you respect that is the minute I will share my hot six oil with you. ;)

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
She cannot force her way in unless we let her. Any black blogger that does this, stop going to her site and reading her blog. If she loses readers enmass, she will never try it again and the rest would get the message. But, are people really going to do it?

@Ogoma

Apparently, CN is deleting posts and blocking posters that do not agree with her gentrifying stance on the Natural Hair movement.

LHCF Sistern:

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Let's stop rockin' with her.

Now.

Today.

Just because she wants to make and sell this New Black Tea, DOES NOT MEAN WE NEED TO BUY AND DRINK IT.

WE NEED TO RECOGNIZE OUR OWN POWER.

Last edited:

cami88

I never supported Curly Nikki before and I sure will not start now. I don't understand why a white woman would even be interested in being a part of a movement for and by black folks. Do they not have enough stuff of their own? I would not be so annoyed had Sarah, when corrected, humbly apologized and bowed out. But no. She continued with her righteous indignation. She does not belong here and deserves to get dragged for being so bold and brazen. That goes for Nikki too.

Sent from my galaxy s4 using LHCF

cami88

I'm sorry but I don't believe you. If you can show me an unphotoshopped picture of a white person with 4b hair I shall gladly eat my words.

Sent from my galaxy s4 using LHCF

curlytwirly06

^^^^THIS^^^^ It is soooo much more than just hair. And the reason my this WW felt it was OK to just trivialize it (oh po me ..I had to wear my triangle hair in a bun all the time) is EXACTLY because she has not lived the mental oppression levelled at black people (and I say people because lets not forget that men be all up in the good hair and light skinnedness too) associated with natural black people hair and features to quote the blessedandfavoured please, take a stadium of seats ... and this applies to black ppl who choose not to grasp this and continuing to poison our young girls and boys with their self hate.

I really like this response.

curlytwirly06

@Ogoma Apparently, CN is deleting posts and blocking posters that do not agree with her getrifying stance on the Natural Hair movement. LHCF Sistern: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Let's stop rockin' with her. Now. Today. Just because she wants to sell this New Black Tea, DOES NOT MEAN WE NEED TO BUY IT. WE NEED TO RECOGNIZE OUR OWN POWER.

And the church says...

Divine.

I thought this comment was interesting:

Oy. Ok, as a white person who used to post regularly here, and who accepts that White Privilege is real, I just find these White Whines so embarrassing. Like, all the advantages we have historically held, and still hold, and the way the culture has always catered to us, this is not enough for you? No, you have to stake a claim to somebody else's experience, you have to whine, "no, we suffer tooooooo," you have to horn in on somebody else's affirming space and insist that you are victims who are being left out. And you say this with no trace of irony.

GoldenRule

I became sooooooo ill a few days ago it required a trip to the ER. In all that agony, I put off going to the hospital because I'd managed to crawl into the shower and take a shower sitting on the shower floor, but of course my entire head got wet so since I was down there chilling, I co-washed. I grabbed a towel and deposited my entire wet body back in the bed. It took me about 2 hours to get my hair combed thru and into a puff. Literally. Becky would think this was crazy but I am sure at least a few of you know what would happen to a head of uncombed, fully tangled, wet natural hair had I gone right out the shower and sat in the hospital looking crazy all day. Sorry, the struggle just isn't the same.

LdyKamz

I thought this comment was interesting:

I've seen several white women checking her. One in particular even said, " you need to check yourself" or some variation as shown below lol

Eta: I found the post:

As a white woman I would like to encourage you to check yourself and I decline the offer to share this.* When a vast majority (not all, because that is just not how groups work) of a community of which you are not a part explains a problem to you about your behaivor,* IN THEIR SPACE, it does not matter that you "feel" it is being "blown out of proportion." It is entirely in proportion.* I would like you to focus as much energy as you have on the semantics of the word natural as hearing what is being said to you.* Listen.*Show less

Last edited:

Mz.MoMo5235

WHY WASNT A TAGGED IN THIS?!?!?

Yall know I'm all militant up in this!!!!

Now to read all comments and catch up!

Mz.MoMo5235

LHCF was created because we were pretty much kicked off the white womens board. We all used to post on long hair forum and they were really crappy with the black women. Then they suggested we get our own sub-forum, then they didn't want us there either so Beverly created this board for us. Now they want to sing kumbayah? They have zero desire to "understand" our hair other than to assure themselves that theirs is more desirable...lol. nah, they can stay in their lane IMO.

Boom, right here!!!! Right here right here!!!!

CodeRed

Nicole Kidman is about the only white woman who might understand the struggle.

She started with this:

and has been rocking this instead for the past 20 years:

And after looking like she was dying and frying herself bald, she went back to her natural hue only (not really natural and excuse the obvious lip injections):

Could you imagine her trying to get a job with her natural hair :lachen:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Nicole Kidman is about the only white woman who might understand the struggle. She started with this: http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...N3gL5bEv_RDSXIVzQeTPHHsw&ust=1404699680286691 and has been rocking this instead for the past 20 years: http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...N3gL5bEv_RDSXIVzQeTPHHsw&ust=1404699680286691 And after looking like she was dying and frying herself bald, she went back to her natural hue only (not really natural and excuse the obvious lip injections): http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...N3gL5bEv_RDSXIVzQeTPHHsw&ust=1404699680286691 Could you imagine her trying to get a job with her natural hair :lachen:

I remember that :lachen: her hair was a mess though. It looks really hard to tame as it looks dry and unruly. I've never seen it in its natural state since. Talk about running. She was cute with curly hair but as you already said, she would not have gotten where she is with them. Even Julia Roberts and Juliana Margullies got rid of theirs. And Juliana has beautiful curls.

Fauxshim

Gym Rat
Nicole Kidman is about the only white woman who might understand the struggle.

She started with this:

and has been rocking this instead for the past 20 years:

And after looking like she was dying and frying herself bald, she went back to her natural hue only (not really natural and excuse the obvious lip injections):

Could you imagine her trying to get a job with her natural hair :lachen:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: at her hair. She must have been using sulfate shampoos.