Why do stylist chop off too much?

Why do stylist cut too much?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chevelure618

I assume to make all the hair the same length as the hair at the nape? They use the bottom hair as the guide and end up cutting many inches off because many peoples napes are a bit shorter than the rest of their hair. If they would part from ear to ear instead of the base of the hairline, I'm sure so much wouldn't be trimmed off. But I don't fool with them anymore lol.

This is sooo true and I am just now finding out that this is what part of my problem has been all along. They part the hair from the ear down to make their guideline...then demolish your progress as they let down section after section of hair.

I don't care if my hair is uneven...actually I like it, but what I used to believe were "thin ends" I realize now are just the fact that the nape hairs are shorter...my real length is going to have to come from the hairs from the top of the ears up...who cares about the other ones catching up....when you roller set, it all looks dense anyway.

Zaz

If I think back to when I went to stylists, I never actually told any of them that I wanted my hair long. At the time I didn't care, so I'd sometimes get my hair chopped from APL to as short as chin length but I just cared that it was even.

I wonder now if I went in and specifically said I want my hair long if they'd cut as much? I wonder if it might be a miscommunication (or lack of communication) and being unaware of the person's goals, all stylists can't be jealous haters:scratchch

nappystorm

If I think back to when I went to stylists, I never actually told any of them that I wanted my hair long. At the time I didn't care, so I'd sometimes get my hair chopped from APL to as short as chin length but I just cared that it was even.

I wonder now if I went in and specifically said I want my hair long if they'd cut as much? I wonder if it might be a miscommunication and being unaware of the person's goals, all stylists can't be jealous haters:scratchch
In my case, I told my stylist. She assured me that she would only cut a little and even showed me a stylist who cuts alot:perplexed

Why I walked in there a full, even BSL and walked out an uneven SL? I had to get it cut in a bob the next day. I did tell her manager and got my money back, though.

LadyRaider

I bet many are trying to make a really cute style and they are not attending to your length wishes, only their creative impulses.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Get a Creaclip and a Splitender and do it yourself. Only you knows exactly what you want..right?

I've seen infomercials on this before. It creeps me out. Does it really work? It looks like it's just taking off the ends..is it taking off the complete split/damaged ends, or just so many cm or mm?

YESSS!!! This thing has saved my life. I use it every relaxer, I go down each section 3x as stated in the directions. Splitender is the name of the machine, it does no know which strands are split and which are not. Once you go down the section it takes off the very tips (1/8-1/4 inch). It takes awhile because I part as thin as possible but it does a very good job. I plan on purchasing a Creaclip so I can start taking 1 inch off my hem line 2x a year to even my hair up and to get rid of these colored ends faster.

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
I honestly think that many stylists, much like doctors, are egotistical maniacs. They do certain things because they know the average person is uneducated about the topic at hand and they can get away with it.

My Friend

Unless your stylist has paid additional money to take a lot of hair cutting classes or has worked at supercuts for atleast 2 years, she/he did not get much pratice or training. So sometimes they need an unsuspecting model (you).

I also think short hair is quicker to style so they can book more clients with people with short hair. I have also heard this complaint from white sytlist. They either charge more, refuse you, refer you or talk you into a trim (cut :rolleyes:).

Some women are jealous. They don't have to stylist either :nono: your co worker, your friends, your family, etc.

NOEChic

I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong.
everyone complains about their stylist cutting their hair. i have TWO stylist and neither one of them cuts as much as i WANT them too. I ask them to cut off the bad parts and they WONT do it lol

GodivaChocolate

I think they cut too much in one area and keep cutting until all the hair is even. Unfortunately, the client ends up losing a lot of progress because the the stylist tried to correct a mistake. My stylist is good but she will murder your progress if she makes a tiny mistake. I'm mentally preparing myself for my Dec trim...I'll tell her that I want a half inch trimmed so I'll probably lose about 1.5-2 inches (which is what I really want). If I tell her that I want about 1.5 inches cut I'll lose about 2.5" :fistshake: Nah son.
Just out of curiosity, why would you risk losing your progress if you know your stylist has a tendency to correct her "mistakes" and your length will suffer because of it?
Personally, I would just got to a salon where I know this would not happen or do it myself...just asking cause I wouldn't want you to lose your progress

SmilingElephant

Straight from several stylists mouths, I heard them actually say "I HATE doing long hair! It takes too much time and I need to charge more for long hair!" I was going to one of these stylists at the time and was wondering why I stayed at SL for an entire year. She kept saying my hair grew fast but I saw none of that progress. I am now blessed with a stylist that absolutely takes pleasure in seeing my hair grow and strive and she trims the bare minimum! The only issue is that she's about 1600 miles away! LOL! I visit there at least 2 -3 times a year. It's worth it!

I honestly think they are jealous. Everytime i went into a salon they would compliment my hair and then in the same breath complain about the thickness. The one stylist who hacked my "then" APL hair to SL was a stand in for my reg. stylist....and she was mean:nono:....giving me services i didn't ask for and tried to make me pay for them.....and i DIDN'T pay for them....she would barely talk to me while she did my hair and she was an older black woman.

I'm glad i know how to trim my own hair. I hate to depend on other ppl for stuff i'm so anal about.:nono:

naturalmanenyc

My old stylist (not scissor happy) said that she finds lots of stylist "get lost" in the cut and they end up going over sections more than once such that they have to even up the cut. Often times the clients hair ends up shorter than they want.

Dragon_Of_Vaeros

I hope it is only to even it up.

Either that or they just don't care that you might be growing it out (but that wasn't on there as a choice)

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
I think most that do this may find longer hair more difficult to handle/more time consuming. So they chop it often to make things easier for them.

ricochet

Because too many of them don't know what a freaking inch is, let alone half an inch. I have seen clients ask a stylist how much they are going to trim and the stylist says "Oh about an inch" and then they hold up their fingers at the 3" level. For real? You have looked at a ruler or a tape measure and THAT is an inch to you? That's why I cut and trim my own hair. If I jack it up, I can't be mad at nobody but me. :yep:

kami02

They try to make it even, then mess up, so then they try to make it even then mess up again... its a vicious cycle, lol.

Chevelure618

I honestly think that many stylists, much like doctors, are egotistical maniacs. They do certain things because they know the average person is uneducated about the topic at hand and they can get away with it.

The problem with the analogy is that hair tissue is dead protein and is being manipulated for cosmetic purposes voluntarily. Doctors diagnose and treat diseased living tissue. Personally I love an educated patient...they must contribute to their own health process. Either way, education is the key...knowledge about the hair...the body... is power.

UrbainChic

Because they are trained to cut hair and style hair. They are not "maintainists" or "hair gardeners" they are stylists.

I think mostly they want to be creative and show their talent and really the longer the hair the more of a "blank canvas" they have to work with. Its probably gives them great satisfaction do do some feathering, throw in some bangs, some layers whatever they do to frame your face, and then people like us come in and say "just dust" SO BORING!

As a child I would cut my Barbies' hair all the time very happily, and I know I am not the only one! Unfortunately Barbies' hair doesn't grow back so they'd eventually end up bald

I mean don't you think you would get bored if every day client after client came in just asking for a light dusting. That sounds like the kind of activity that will be waiting for me in hell if I am a bad person!

I know there are a lot of hair haters out there and yes we have all encountered them, but realistically, I think they just wanna cut hair, and make you look different than when you came in..... If they didn't why would they become a stylist?

starfish79

I think what a lot of people consider a trim is actually dusting. Also, in order to hang on to their length they'll let raggedy and/or uneven ends stick around.

I don't usually have this problem, but I'll go for a deep trim or cut if it means I'll have healthy even ends.

belldandy

they get 10 extra bucks for a trim, so everyone needs a trim.

once u agree to the trim, youu are at their mercy. its easier for them to make you hair look flawless if they cut off the parts that are difficult.

frida1980

I just remembered something. When I was relaxing, my hair dresser would complain about my hair looking flat and convinced me to get layers so my hair would look thicker. I've been stuck with them for 5 years, since all stylist keep them in. My hair was just fine, but she really wanted to do something with it. Probably because she didn't have clients with long hair.

I still say that some stylist are jealous of long hair. When I relaxed for the first time most of the girls there were looking in stunned envy, saying "it's pretty" with stupefied look. I don't think any of them really knew thought about having long hair until they saw mine. And I certainly don't think they were interested in keeping it long and healthy. This is why I ended up transitioning and going natural again. That's why I go and have my hair trimmed at super cuts. I want long hair. Long hair is prettier than having layers or a stylish cut. If a stylist can't respect or understand that, they don't need to trim my hair.

lovelexi

I think the majority of the time is that they find short areas or damage and try to even it up or correct it.

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
The problem with the analogy is that hair tissue is dead protein and is being manipulated for cosmetic purposes voluntarily. Doctors diagnose and treat diseased living tissue. Personally I love an educated patient...they must contribute to their own health process. Either way, education is the key...knowledge about the hair...the body... is power.

Um...I wasn't talking about what they work on specifically (hair vs. body) nor for what purpose. I was talking about the attitudes of the people in those professions but I get what you're saying.

diadall

When I was really young (about 22) I went to a stylist and told her I was going there because my cousin's hair always looked so good and she did my cousins hair. I guess she thought I wanted my hair like my cousins because she said I needed a trim. She cut too much and then put two pieces in the front.

I had to get weave for a style I had enough hair for in the first place.

Like I said, I was young and not old enough to advocate for myself. Not anymore. I have had stylist comment that they really want to do my hair. I always smile and say thanks. But anyone that eager to get in my head is not getting in my head. Know what I mean?

curlyninjagirl

Because they are trained to cut hair and style hair. They are not "maintainists" or "hair gardeners" they are stylists.

I think mostly they want to be creative and show their talent and really the longer the hair the more of a "blank canvas" they have to work with. Its probably gives them great satisfaction do do some feathering, throw in some bangs, some layers whatever they do to frame your face, and then people like us come in and say "just dust" SO BORING!

As a child I would cut my Barbies' hair all the time very happily, and I know I am not the only one! Unfortunately Barbies' hair doesn't grow back so they'd eventually end up bald

I mean don't you think you would get bored if every day client after client came in just asking for a light dusting. That sounds like the kind of activity that will be waiting for me in hell if I am a bad person!

I know there are a lot of hair haters out there and yes we have all encountered them, but realistically, I think they just wanna cut hair, and make you look different than when you came in..... If they didn't why would they become a stylist?

^^^This is right on!! These people are trained to STYLE AND CUT. Most of them don't care about retention and all that. They don't care if they just snipped off half a year's growth in a matter of seconds.(Most of their clients don't care either!) They also don't care if your braids are so tight, your hairline is thinning. They just want your hair to look neat and frozen in time.

Back in the day, I let my stylist know that I wanted to grow my hair out long and I did not see not one inch of progress that whole year! (Yeah yeah, why did I keep going to her? Well, I was an ignorant teenager at the time and I was still under the impression that my hair was unable to grow long.) I stayed at shoulder length most of my life because my stylist's scissors made it so.

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
IMHO, I think that many of the "stylists" we go to do not have enough practice in cutting hair, nor do they want to practice the art of cutting hair.

When I am on Craigslist, I often see stylists that recruit customers so they can get practice. Working at salons that specialize in cuts and styling take much practice. There is extensive training that has to happen before a stylist is considered an expert cutter in many salons. Also many of these Dominican salon stylist are kitchenticians like we are, they learned over someones shoulder.

When I stopped getting my hair trimmed at my local Dominican salon and started going to Supercuts I NEVER had a cutting problem again. You tell them what you want and that is what you get, nada mas, nada menos.

PinkPebbles

I was at the salon this past weekend and a lady with beautiful BSL hair asked her stylist for a trim. The stylist did not trim but cut this lady's hair from BSL to APL. I cringed the whole time and shook my head. :nono: There was no need for that stylist to cut that woman's hair. All she needed was a light dusting.

As the stylist was trimming she kept comparing her hair to this woman's hair. I said to myself why is a stylist comparing her own hair to her clients.:ohwell: She said to the woman, your hair is longer but mine is thicker. And she kept cutting. I said wow, I never thought I'd say this about a stylist, but she was straight jealous of her client's hair which made her cut off so much. smh. Then she lied to her client and said that she only cut off an inch, but in reality she cut off about 3 to 4 inches. So sad.

Lynnerie

1. Some cut because they are jealous. Long hair in envied so its best to go to a stylist who's hair is long and she cares about helping her clients grow their hair.
2. Some cut because they think you are trying to maintain a style. Like you get it cut into a bob but then you are trying to grow it out but the stylist maintain's the bob cut.
3. They just cut/style your hair to their own personal preference.