What were your first 'wow' products?

CluelessJL

When I first started experimenting with hair products, none of them seemed to make an immediate difference to my hair. I started to think that everyone who commented on product review/recommendation threads was either exaggerating or being paid :lol: But gradually, I've started to come across products where I can feel the difference in my hair straight away.

So I'm curious...what were the first products you found (natural or otherwise) that had the 'wow' factor for your hair? Do you still use them? Mine have been emu oil (and emu oil conditioner), Creme of Nature Argon Oil shampoo, and EVOO.

kandake

1. Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Oil Heavy Cream. OMG that stuff is so moisturizing.
2. Ditto on he Creme of Natural Argan Oil Shampoo. I don't know what took me so long to try it.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Cream of Nature Detangling shampoo (old formula)
Kerastase Chroma Rich mask
Nexxus Emergencee reconstructor
Chi Silk Infusion serum

I'm still being wowed by these products, but I had to switch to the new formula of Cream of Nature shampoo. I'm currently using the one with argan oil.

Eta I forgot about Keracare Humecto. It was my very first wow conditioner. My coworker bleached my hair back in college and afterwards did a dc with Humecto. My hair felt like butter and smelled like candy. I couldn't stop touching it

Last edited:

TiniTaylor

I just tried Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream yesterday and now I'm wondering why I've never tried it in the beginning. That stuff moisturized my hair so well that I'm just now realizing that my other moisturizers really didn't do the job. Thank God I bought two 16oz jars. Somehow I just knew I was going to love this stuff. Lol

ravenhairedcharm

Qhemet biologics amla heavy cream. Nothing keeps my hair moisturized like this line and I mean nothing.

Oh and Creme of nature argan oil for sure! First time I ever detangled with a shampoo. Love it.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
What a fun thread!

When I first joined, I was wowed by:

Green CON shampoo
Dove Moisture Mist (before the formula change)
Herbal Essences LTR Leave-In
Queen Helene's Pink Cholesterol
Hawaiian Silky 14n1

Last edited:

missbugg21

Aussie Moist (for detangling)

It's worked for me throughout my entire journey so far: from relaxed, to transitioning, to fully natural. :yep:

Ajna

My first was Carols Daughter Black Vanilla spray and the hair milk - but this was back in the day when she had a shop in Brooklyn. Between that and my little paul mitchell foaming pomade my hair was cute, shiny and curly I rocked my short fro for like 6 years.

When she reformulated I think maybe the second time I quit buying Carols Daughter and then I discovered etsy and Darcy's Botanical's I think the first thing I got from her was gel - and that was the first time I realized it did not have to be stiff and Madagascar styling cream. I still use the gel but I actually prefer her daily conditioner. Around the same time I discovered Qhemet had a disaster with the shampoo but fell in love with the amla pomade and cocoa tree detangling ghee. Still use them both to this day

PuddingPop

Creme of Nature shampoo ( green bottle )

After years of having shampoos leave my hair stripped and tangled that shampoo was a true miracle. Changed my life, lol.

Aussie Moist condish gave me that wow factor too.

InBloom

In my new-growth
I used Silicon Mix and thought it was a dream. It smelled nice and had my hair bouncing out of control. I stopped using it so frequently because while I enjoyed the bounce it gave, I also noticed it made my hair seem to have lots of flyaways and gave me static. I use a conditioner that gives me less bounce, but adds a little bit of "weight" to my strands. I have fine strands.

I used L'Anza healing moisture line (turquoise bottles) and LOVED the shine it gave me. I used that for quite a while, but got antsy to try something else that has become a staple product line for me. I would still use L'Anza these days if it occurred to me to purchase.

I heard about tea rinsing to minimize shedding and was blown away with how few hairs I would lose after my wash routine. I still use tea rinsing these days.

PJaye

- Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo (silky softness, moisture and slip that was out of this world...until it was reformulated; now I rarely use this product)

- Qhemet BRBC mixed with OHHB (this concoction solved my persistent dry hair issues forever; product has since been replaced)

- DB Transitioning Creme and Daily Leave-in (before sampling these two products, I had to refresh my hair daily in order to retain a decent amount of moisture; products have since been replaced)

- Aphogee 2-Minute Reconstructor (the first protein-laden treatment that softened while strengthening; remains a staple in my routine)

- Castor Oil (this changed my HHJ game; continues to be an integral part of my routine)

- Hairveda Sitrinillah DC (this was the first DC to provide me with long-lasting moisture and softness; still an important part of my routine)

cravoecanela

Castor oil, both the clear and black kinds

Vatika oil

Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo

Those were some of the first products that I tried, so I'm glad that I didn't have to search to long and hard for staples.

CodeRed

My very first "wow" product was probably Karen's Body Beautiful deep conditioner. That got me on the road to spending a lot of money on handmade "boutique" products :lol:

My second "wow" was definitely VO5. I thought all the black women who were praising it were either on crack or being paid to say good things about it. :lol: I tried it and that's all she wrote. Definitely a staple.

Harina

Damn that Aussie Moist is a miracle worker.

Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream used to be but I don't what happened.

nymane

Darcy's Botanical's Coconut lemongrass transitioning creme
Silicon Mix DC (original)
Lacio lacio leave-in (before the recent reformulation)

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
Qhemet biologics amla heavy cream. Nothing keeps my hair moisturized like this line and I mean nothing.

Oh and Creme of nature argan oil for sure! First time I ever detangled with a shampoo. Love it.

ravenhairedcharm I'm considering buying the Qhemet to moisture my flat*ironed hair. I am 4a natural, medium texture. Does it cause reversion? How do you apply it, on wet or dry hair? What's your hair type?
Thanks

tolly

terressential mud wash and kinky curly knot today.
Those are the only products I use now.
I don't use oil, no deep conditioning, no combs in 6months. I only have 4inches of hair and hope to continue with this simple regimen, as my hair grows longer.

blackeyes31626

World of curls activator spray
Care Free Curl Gold instant activator
Qhemet Biologics olive and honey hydrating balm

nnbolden

My first wow being natural was AO White Camellia conditioner.

My current wow is Dabur Vatika Naturals Black Seed Deep Conditioner and also Aloe Vera juice.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Mine were

Kerastace
Hairveda
TMS texture shampoo
Shescenit
And drum roll please......

HOT SIX OIL

veesweets

Herbal Essence long term relationship leave in (original formula
ORS replenishing conditioner