Hide Your Hair 2015

Gr8ness83

I took out my loc extensions today. I may have to tap out of the challenge. I think my hair needs to breathe. I may be able to put crochet braids in, I am not sure yet. I need to give the parts from my locs a rest so I am thinking that the cornrows for crochet braids may be a good option. I want to continue with the challenge but I need think of my hairs health. I have seen growth from the scalp but it doesn't seen that I have retained any length althoughI see the difference in my nape, It was almost nonexistent but now it has filled in and is between 5-7 inches. I have to wear a hat for work so wearing WNG is not an option and I cannot find a way to wear it up that can go with my hat.

trclemons

I took out my loc extensions today. I may have to tap out of the challenge. I think my hair needs to breathe. I may be able to put crochet braids in, I am not sure yet. I need to give the parts from my locs a rest so I am thinking that the cornrows for crochet braids may be a good option. I want to continue with the challenge but I need think of my hairs health. I have seen growth from the scalp but it doesn't seen that I have retained any length althoughI see the difference in my nape, It was almost nonexistent but now it has filled in and is between 5-7 inches. I have to wear a hat for work so wearing WNG is not an option and I cannot find a way to wear it up that can go with my hat.
Would a bun or phony pony go with your work hat?

Queensheba88

Haven't been in here in a while..been wearing my u-parts and currently wearing and l-part wig...took it off today and cowshed my hair with my old faithful vo5 moisture milk and neutrogena daily deep conditioner my hair was so soft. Last week I trimmed and dusted my ends. I think I will wear this l-part until April then I will relax and throw on a half wig.

iLurk

Well I kinda broke the rules and did a twist out on my hair. Its the only way I could learn to like my hair again since I've been disappointed growth wise. when i do them i can see how full my hair is

trclemons

Well I kinda broke the rules and did a twist out on my hair. Its the only way I could learn to like my hair again since I've been disappointed growth wise. when i do them i can see how full my hair is
The rules say you have to hide your hair "most of the time" so enjoy your twist out girl!!!

mrsroberson86

Had to take out my Senegalese twist due to the fact that the hair used I must be severely allergic to. It made my scalp feel like it was on fire. It's been a week since I've taken them out and now my scalp is feeling a little better...so I will be doing braid outs going into a bun.

trclemons

Had to take out my Senegalese twist due to the fact that the hair used I must be severely allergic to. It made my scalp feel like it was on fire. It's been a week since I've taken them out and now my scalp is feeling a little better...so I will be doing braid outs going into a bun.
What hair did you use?

mrsroberson86

What hair did you use?
I forgot the brand of kanekalon hair I used...I know it was in like a yellowish Orange pack. I live in NJ and went to some braider on Washington st in paterson. They only use that kind of hair for Senegalese twist. I had it done there before but I could have sworn it was a different brand. It still made my scalf itch, but my scalp didnt feel on fire. It was so bad that in the back of my ear was irritated and I couldn't even wear my glasses. Every place that hair would touch just made my skin itch.

trclemons

I forgot the brand of kanekalon hair I used...I know it was in like a yellowish Orange pack. I live in NJ and went to some braider on Washington st in paterson. They only use that kind of hair for Senegalese twist. I had it done there before but I could have sworn it was a different brand. It still made my scalf itch, but my scalp didnt feel on fire. It was so bad that in the back of my ear was irritated and I couldn't even wear my glasses. Every place that hair would touch just made my skin itch.
Oh gosh, I haven't had this happen yet, so I am going to rinse the hair in vinegar from here on out and hopefully I can avoid this happening.

mrsroberson86

Oh gosh, I haven't had this happen yet, so I am going to rinse the hair in vinegar from here on out and hopefully I can avoid this happening.

At this point I'm so afraid of this happening again that I'm just going to avoid all synthetic hair. I washed the twist and used every kind of braid spray I could get my hands on. Nothing and I mean nothing would bring any relief to my scalp. This is my second time washing and deep conditioning my hair with the twist in. It's slowly getting better. My nape area is the part that was affect the most and it's still irritated.

iLurk

Yea my hair pissed me off for the last couple of months. wearing it out in my standard curly style was the only way i could learn to love it again. but now i'm back to my braided bun that i feel looks too stupid to be worn out in public. :lol:

gotta find some cute bun styles since its starting to warm up and i don't think i wanna wig it during this time.

naturallieme

Natural 4a/b/c
I would like to join! I plan to hide my hair and hopefully dec 2015 will be a big reveal.
A. Natural
B. Current length APL
C. Hair goal length: short term goal-BSL 2015; long term WL
D. How many inches needed: 5in for BSL, 8in for WL
E. Products: Shea Moisture, Shea butter, Eden body works
F. Regimen: two strand twists, flat twists after every wash. Weekly wash
G: twists or cornrows, twist bun
H. How long in challenge: 9months
I. Starting pic: see signature. That is blow dried two strand twists. I RARELY blow dry my hair. I have like 80% shrinkage of my twists after a wash. Below is my primary protective/hidden style.

Attachments

• image-3425464950.jpg
    image-3425464950.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

trclemons

I would like to join! I plan to hide my hair and hopefully dec 2015 will be a big reveal.
A. Natural
B. Current length APL
C. Hair goal length: short term goal-BSL 2015; long term WL
D. How many inches needed: 5in for BSL, 8in for WL
E. Products: Shea Moisture, Shea butter, Eden body works
F. Regimen: two strand twists, flat twists after every wash. Weekly wash
G: twists or cornrows, twist bun
H. How long in challenge: 9months
I. Starting pic: see signature. That is blow dried two strand twists. I RARELY blow dry my hair. I have like 80% shrinkage of my twists after a wash. Below is my primary protective/hidden style.
Nice hair.....Welcome aboard!

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Next Sunday will be 5 weeks into this install. I was hoping I'd have taken it out this week but I'm going to be running all over the land , so April will see me in these crochet braids still.

trclemons

This weekend, I took out the kinky twists and installed water wave crochet braids. I did a quick length check and it doesn't seem like my hair has moved. But, I will still stay focused because I am going to reach BSL by the end of the year.

Attachments

• 20150328_224659.jpg
    20150328_224659.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 2015-03-28 23.38.49.jpg
    2015-03-28 23.38.49.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 48

FollicleFanatic

trclemons how are your ends? I thought I wasn't having any growth until I noticed I was having very subtle breakage. So no length retention.

In the past 1.5 weeks I have done 2 hardcore treatments and my breakage has significantly reduced.

I'm taking a break from wigs and plan on wearing crochet and individual braids this spring/summer. With nice weather it's awesome to wake up with your hair done and ready at a moment's notice! Now when will I put these braids in though smh.

trclemons

trclemons how are your ends? I thought I wasn't having any growth until I noticed I was having very subtle breakage. So no length retention.

In the past 1.5 weeks I have done 2 hardcore treatments and my breakage has significantly reduced.

I'm taking a break from wigs and plan on wearing crochet and individual braids this spring/summer. With nice weather it's awesome to wake up with your hair done and ready at a moment's notice! Now when will I put these braids in though smh.
I have been natural for 3 1/2 months and I've been hiding my hair the entire time. I have a protein spritz that I use twice a week and I use a reconstructor & ACV rinse with every wash, but I will try a harder protein when I take down my hair next month.

Thanks for the advice.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I'm in!

a. Natural/Relaxed/Texlaxed/Transitioning? Natural

b. Current Hair Length: WL

c. Hair Length Goal: TBL

d. How many inches needed to reach hair length goal? No idea :lol:

e. Regimen: Steam twice a week, M&S daily, keep hair in twists and wear a wig/phony pony when I leave the house.

f. Braids/Cornrows/Locs/Twists/Buns/Weaves/Wigs? My hair will be in twists under wigs

g. How long will you be in the challenge? However long it takes. I've been hiding my hair since '07 and am used to it. Probably only wore my hair out 10 times, if that. I am not playing. :lol:

h. Post your starting pic: My avi is my latest length check... from last year. :lachen:

trclemons

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing.

I have been chilling out in my water wave crochet braids for 6 weeks, moisturizing daily, and co-washing every 2 weeks. I will wear this style another 2 weeks before I take it down and install some braids.

I can't believe we will be at the 1/2 year mark in a month and I am looking forward to seeing those update photos. HHJ!!!

trclemons

Hi Ladies,

I just finished installing some soft dread crochet braids and I realized I didn't post a photo of my box braids last month....Ooops.

Well, 1/2 the year is almost over and I didn't do a length check because I was frustrated with having to cut about 3 inches total in the past two months. I really need to figure out what is damaging my ends.

At any rate, below is a photo of my soft dreads.

Attachments

• 20150614_103718.jpg
    20150614_103718.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 21

Integrity

it's gorgeous! this is my next style and just about to order the hair from aliexpress. i think i i will have it long.

trclemons

it's gorgeous! this is my next style and just about to order the hair from aliexpress. i think i i will have it long.
I would have gone longer if it wasn't so hot. Please post a picture because I definitely plan to do this with long hair during the fall.

trclemons

Hi Ladies,

I am still in this challenge, but I had to make a few changes in July. The added hair from doing twists and braids caused a lot of splits and I had to cut about 4 inches of hair. So I switched to wigs in July and have been rocking them ever since.

Unfortunately, I won't make my goal length this year, but I will aim for it again in 2016. I hope everyone is doing well and I hope you finish strong!

trclemons

My stats are below:

a. Natural/Relaxed/Texlaxed/Transitioning? Natural
b. Current Hair Length: ~APL
c. Hair Length Goal: BSL/MBL
d. How many inches needed to reach hair length goal? 4
e. Products Being Used: Numerous...I'm a product junkie.
f. Regimen:
1. Daily = spritz hair, baggy & massage scalp;

2. 3 Times/Week = moisturize & seal;

3. Biweekly = sponge wash scalp;

4. Monthly = pre-poo, wash, co-wash, DC, reconstruct, ACV rinse, leave in 75% of a moisturizing conditioner, & use LOC method when 80% dry;

5. Monthly = invert for a week; and

6. Monthly = install braids/twists. NOTE: Wigs, buns, & updos are used 1-2 weeks between installs.

g. Braids/Locs/Twists/Buns/Weaves/Wigs? Braids & Twists
h. How long will you be in the challenge? All year
i. Post your starting pic:

Below is my final picture and I am 2.5 inches away from BSL and 4.5 inches from MBL, but I hope to get there in 2016!