Setting to Success 2015

faithVA

Not always. If I air dry its usually dry in 2 hours. If If I sit under the dryer its 30 to 45 minutes but closer to 30.

Rozlewis

Did a roller set with perm rods which is now in a bun. My perm rods sets only last about 2 days. Any tips on how to keep my curls form the rod set longer?

coilyhaircutie

Did a roller set with perm rods which is now in a bun. My perm rods sets only last about 2 days. Any tips on how to keep my curls form the rod set longer?
@Rozlewis That's always a challenge. Try experimenting with different products. Products with aloe vera gel help hold my curls best, but I had to find that out the hard way through trying lots of different things. You could also try pincurls at night.

coilyhaircutie

Hey ladies, I've been washing my hair more frequently like Nappie85 recommends in this clip:
It actually does detangle less, and my hair doesn't take long to cowash, just 15 minutes. I think my hair likes being moisturized so often. I hope it doesn't get used to this treatment though lol...once autumn comes around I'm going right back to Dominican rollersets and washing once every 3 weeks :p

I've been twisting my hair and adding permrods to the ends of my twists after washing. I get a lot of shrinkage, but whatever. It's all in the name of healthy, long hair, so it's all good!

girlonfire

Hey strangers,
I know nap85 has come out with that video about that "theory"...the theory that has been hashed around this board and youtube and other hair blogs...but that's cool. No shade, just interesting.

Any who I just wanted to tag @faithVA bc it's been months now that I promised pic of my deva cut. My new profile pic is ONE of the pics I took, I'm being lazy and tired so I'll upload the others later.

Working over 40hrs and setting do not mix well ladies.
Beautiful hair! Keep it up!

faithVA

Hey strangers,
I know nap85 has come out with that video about that "theory"...the theory that has been hashed around this board and youtube and other hair blogs...but that's cool. No shade, just interesting.

Any who I just wanted to tag @faithVA bc it's been months now that I promised pic of my deva cut. My new profile pic is ONE of the pics I took, I'm being lazy and tired so I'll upload the others later.

Working over 40hrs and setting do not mix well ladies.
Beautiful hair! Keep it up!

Are you happy with it? I will stay posted for the others. :yep: Thanks for remembering.

girlonfire

Are you happy with it? I will stay posted for the others. :yep: Thanks for remembering.
I've been really enjoying it. The crown of my head before the hair cut was sooooo long compared to everywhere else. The cut evened out everything and I don't feel overwhelmed anymore. Doing my hair takes less than 2 hrs (prepoo, wash, deep condition, detangle, style and dry).

coilyhaircutie

Hey ladies,
my hair has been enjoying being washed more. I don't know how often nap85 washes hers, but I've been cowashing 1-2x/week and shampooing & DCing 1x/week. So my hair is wet at least twice a week, sometimes 3 times if I have more time. It is a lot easier to detangle.

Pics:
DSCF3309.jpg
DSCF3311.jpg DSCF3304.jpg DSCF3313.jpg

This is a twistout with permrods at the end. I detangle my hair in the shower with my fingers or with a brush, depending on how smooth a style I want.

Products:
  • Curly hair custard - it's like a gel, I smooth it along the length of my hair, then brush through with my denman
  • Castor oil & grapeseed oil mix - I smooth it over the custard to lock in the moisture
  • Pink lotion (yeah, I said it...LOL) - I put this *just* on my ends. It keeps my ends slick and prevents them from knotting up. Works like a charm

Still BSL, my hair looks sooo shrunken in those pics though. It's super bouncy and has a lot of movement. MBL here I come!! :)

coilyhaircutie

@coilyhaircutie Our regimen is similar. My hair gets deep conditioned twice a week. I put it in 2 braids to dry. Wear those for a day or 2. Rock a braidout one day then a high bun the next day. Wash, rinse, repeat. I've been saving setting for special occasions.

@lulu97
I can relate. I set my wet hair on flexirods last Sunday night and by Monday morning my hair still wasn't dry. You know I was pissed lol. It's hard to sit under the dryer for 2 hours in this heat, and air-drying is not enough for my hair. So twistouts with flexirods at the end are where it's at. It may be a cheat for "setting to success" but it'll have to do for now ;)

leleepop

I cowash and detangle once a week, do a curly fro set ever night, sometimes with rollers/sometimes without. I love my hair like this and I get compliments all the time too. I can workout with ease using this regimen too, it has been a win win for me.

Last edited:

coilyhaircutie

I cowash and detangle once a week, do a curly fro set ever night, sometimes with rollers/sometimes without. I love my hair like this and I get compliments all the time too. I can workout with ease using this regimen, it has been a win win for me.
@leleepop What products do you use to do your curly fro in between washes?

leleepop

@leleepop What products do you use to do your curly fro in between washes?
I 've been using this recipe from Motown girl.com for years and it works like a charm for me. 3oz water, 2oz vo5/white rain or fav non silicone condish, and 1 oz olive oil or your favorite oil put in spray spritz bottle. This is my daily moisture spritz. I don't use the exact measurements now I pretty much eyeball it. My recipe is 75% water in a spray spritz bottle, 2 sqirts condish, and 1 sqirt olive oil. hth
o yeah after I spritz each section I seal with olive oil too, it really help my ends.

Last edited:

coilyhaircutie

Wow the last time anyone got on here was in July!!
Hello hello!! How are you ladies all doing? Hope you all enjoyed the summer <3 How are your hair journeys so far?

Me, same old same old. Wash every 3 days (sometimes with conditioner, sometimes with just water). DC every 2-3 weeks. Been doing twists set on permrods, so easy, just takes 20 minutes to set at night. Get my hair done at the Dominican salon 1/month on curlers.

My hair is still BSL....it's taking its sweet ass time to get to MBL -__-
I'm pampering it even thought it seems like it's at a standstill and a part of me wants to give up. I'm going to soldier through this goal, just like how I soldiered through APL. One day at a time. No complaints, just consistency and the faith that I will make it through to MBL and then WL.

Hope you ladies are meeting your dream goals!! How's it going?

faithVA

It has been quiet in here. I think most ladies switched over to their alternate summer style.

I'm waiting for the weather to break before I switch over to rollerset. With the VA humidity and no air in my car rollerset would be a waste of time.

I definitely have more length than I did when I rollerset in April. Looking forward to my first rollerset of the fall.

I may do a curlformer set this weekend so I can trim.

Glad it's time to revive this thread.

coilyhaircutie

View attachment 337267 View attachment 337269 Did a roller set a few days ago. The summer slowdown got me rusty...my set turned out to be a bust. My natural hair turned into a ball of frizz but my relaxed ends did ok. Gonna work it out though! Maybe do a few bantu knots and wear it frizzed out. Lol

I've missed setting & look forward to squeezing it back in for the cooler months.

@lulu97, that hair, that hair. It's so luscious and healthy! What techniques did you use to get past BSL? What's helped you retain the most moisture // what moisturizer do you use?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97, that hair, that hair. It's so luscious and healthy! What techniques did you use to get past BSL? What's helped you retain the most moisture // what moisturizer do you use?

Awwwwww @coilyhaircutie Thank you. You are too kind! :2inlove:

How did I get past BSL?
I continued to roller set to stretch and smooth my hair. Afterwards I would moisturize, finger comb or brush out the curls then throw it in a french braid. I was also washing every 10-14 days so I would take it down at the halfway mark, moisturize again and remove shed hairs....back in a french/crown/goddess braid until wash day. I would also make sure I deep conditioned like crazy. Usually before and after washing. lol

What moisturizer am I using?
Since the beginning of the year, I've been using and LOVING Camille Rose Moisture Milk. It's Bae!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Ladies, I'm over one year post relaxer. What are some good ways/rolling techniques to blend the new growth and relaxed hair. When setting my hair (roller setting or flexi rod setting), there is a distinct difference between the textures and it doesn't blend well. My new growth look dull and frizzy and my relaxed hair looks hydrated and sleek. My hair has a tendency to want to gravitate upward for some reason. I assume the thick, puffy roots are to blame. I am open to suggestions.

Rozlewis

Hi Ladies - I have not posted in here for a minute. I have not done a roller set in a long time. However, today I installed my Curlformers for the first time an let me tell you I love them. I like these much better than a roller set and they were much easier for me to install. My curls were consistent all over. I have had these for over year and not used them. Why was I afraid? Anyway, I am 12 weeks post and my new growth blended nicely. My hair is smooth and it straightened the multiple textures nicely. Winning!

Rozlewis

Rub it in @Rozlewis seeing how I'm struggling with blending. j/k Great job on a successful wash day. I have CurlFormers that I've had for years and never used them. I forsee having a hard time figuring out how to install them. Was it challenging?

@divachyk

Hey girl. It was so darn easy. I had the idea that they would cause too much manipulation and I would pull out tons of hair but it was not at all what I had imagined. As long as you twist the hair at the root before placing it in the hook the hair will glide into the Curlformer. This was my first time and I am so mad I waited so long to try them. I will be doing them a lot this winter. I will also use them on my daughter. She likes to get her hair straightened and I try to do styles that don't require heat. Try them and tell me what you think.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
My hooded dryer is on it's last leg. The pole can no longer be adjusted height wise and I cracked a hole in the top of the hood trying to maneuver it down 3 flights of stairs to my beauty room. I've already requested another one as a Christmas present. lol

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Ladies, I'm over one year post relaxer. What are some good ways/rolling techniques to blend the new growth and relaxed hair. When setting my hair (roller setting or flexi rod setting), there is a distinct difference between the textures and it doesn't blend well. My new growth look dull and frizzy and my relaxed hair looks hydrated and sleek. My hair has a tendency to want to gravitate upward for some reason. I assume the thick, puffy roots are to blame. I am open to suggestions.

@divachyk I only do cheat sets now. If I'm using magnetic rollers, I place my hair in 6 ponytails to get as much stretch as possible to the roots and for any other rollers I braid a little past the roots then apply the rollers. Makes blending so much better.

Are you opposed to color? I like to dye my hair jet black as my natural color is dark brown and my relaxed ends are dusty brown. This also helps blend everything together. I use permanent color but a semi permanent would work too if you just want to test it out to see if it would help. Good Luck Beautiful!